Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
Voting Comstar because who wouldn't want to work for the phone company while driving a 50 ft tall death robot. Also means we get to fight Clanners earlier and I hate me some Clanners. Will pilot if need be, no PMs but will put an e-mail up when needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

Axe-man posted:

Worst of all it makes no sense to make in anyway

it's a 100+ ton mech who carries less weapons then normal 100+ ton mechs and goes a zippy 28 km/h, I believe that makes it a 1/2/1 unless it has more armor than god I see no reason for it to ever exist. Everything, it does can be done better by something else

28 km/h would probably make it a 2/3/2 but the weapons loadout is comically light for a mech of that weight, it is easily outclassed by old (3025 era) Inner Sphere HEAVIES much less something like the Atlas. Also hoping that you get to pilot a hatchet-mech for a great pilot/username combo.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
As much as I wish we could have a Centurion, alas he is too slow in 3025. Instead I will vote for a Dervish to give our lance commander some flexibility with ranges and also jumpjets.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
Just checking in with my e-mail address, you can get me at

Edit: removed e-mail since I got starred

Dominus Caedis fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 20, 2011

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
Unless you are up against a metric fuckton of infantry I would still suggest ditching the MG ammo, flamers are absolutely brutal against anything that is not a mech since the rules update.

Edit: on second thought, forget all that other stuff, too rulesy.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
My favorite faction is the Marian Hegemony, they're Periphery so automatically less well known but modeled after the ancient Roman Empire. And their leader in the 3060s is Ceaser Julius O'Reilly who murdered his father Ceaser Sean O'Reilly to ascend the throne, seriously how can you not love a guy named Julius O'Reilly?

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

Agent Interrobang posted:

Yeah, pretty much this. I like Battletech because no matter WHO you're rooting for, absolutely nobody is a 'good guy.' I don't like Hanse Davion because he's THE NICEST GUY NO REALLY HE JUST CONQUERS NATIONS WITH RANDOM BLITZKRIEGS AS A HOBBY, I like him because he's an entertainingly duplicitous and conniving bastard. Same reason I like Marthe Pryde.

While there may be no Major House 'good guys' the Outworlds Alliance is most defenitely good guys. They have a European style Social Democracy and unlike the other major Periphery states they don't have a heriditary family that wins the presidential election every time. While they didn't have enough resources to have many social programs up until the 3050s once they did get trade agreements with people they reinvested the money in universal health care and education. However they don't have that many 'mechs since their primary defense force is their aerospace wing, which is one of the best in the 'verse. Basically they don't even want to fight ON the planet because that would hurt the people they want to stop your invasion before you even get to the planet.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
gently caress up dat Jenner, he's away from his lancemates and hes got the most firepower of the enemy lights, if your Blackjack can get a good Large Laser hit or 2 you could take him out of the fight. Just look at the armor on your own Jenner, that thing is made of paper(no offense Cthulhu).

Edit: Pladdicus, yes yes you defenitely can, but its fairly risky since you'll be suffering the to-hit penalty for jumping on the kick roll.

Dominus Caedis fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 26, 2011

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

Arglebargle III posted:

Honestly the Capellan Confederation come off as more desperate than evil. Sure they've evolved into a military/police state with an iron dictator, but that's because the Mariks and Davions have spent the last 500 years backing them into a corner. The Confederation started out as a fairly robust democracy, as the name implies. (It doesn't help that the Liaos appear to have a strong genetic propensity to bipolar disorder.)

The Draconis Combine are just straight-up evil though. Who else would kick off the Succession Wars by targeting civilian centers to the exclusion of military targets just to make a point?

The Clans

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
On the subject of Rocket Launchers there are actually 2 IS players at my local gaming store that run the Periphery variant of the Catapult the H2 because of its awesome alpha strike ability. Of course you have to be in spitting range to use it because RL-20s have the same range as an AC/20. And since I play Marian IV Legio I use the H2 Variant as well.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

Tempest_56 posted:

To add to what Axe-man said, also keep in mind the time period. MW:DA came about in 2002. Only a few years before, the great grand-daddy of all gaming companies, TSR, had been bought out by Wizards of the Coast. The foundation of the roleplaying community, now being run by the guys who's claim to fame was Magic: The Gathering. There was a lot of concern that WotC was going to turn D&D into something like M:tG - gronard fears, but still fears.

Not to derail any further but WotC is actually releasing DnD: the Gathering as an optional rule that is mandatory for certain events. Like literally trading cards that you use in a DnD game. So the grognard fears were not unfounded.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

Mukaikubo posted:

Hell's Horses will probably hit us with lots of tanks and armor. The Goliath Scorpions really, really like <REDACTED>. Steel Vipers should be a fairly normal mix; iirc they like medium mechs with some heavies, though I could be wrong. Their totem mech is a 4/6 100-tonner, so who knows?

Basically, we're not going to be facing your daddy's Clans.

HH also invented <REDACTED> so they are fond of them too. Their current Khan may even pilot one, not sure about PTNs timeline.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
Voting G)Death Commandos because the CC get kicked around so much in canon it will be fun for them to be the protagonists.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
Pretty sure this was mentioned earlier in the thread, (but I'm not searching back 80 pages) but the reason for such crappy coms and lack of guided missles is because every wargame is still set in WWII.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
What is a Bug Hunter mech defined as?

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Whelp, I'm basically out of armor. If none of you folks mind, I think Skinwalker and I will be staying back and finishing off V3 there. Meanwhile, I think S2 will be taking on V1, so that I4 infantry is all yours, Tempest. That or you could start picking off I1. bunnyofdoom, if you move S1 this turn, I think you've got just enough range to use the booby trap ability on I4.

And remember, even in dire circumstances, never forget the feel of victory! Music of the Round: 40:1

Well I was kinda rooting for the Capellans up until now, but you just posted some Sabaton so now I have to root for the good guys. :rock:

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
Phew, been busy the last couple days, missed quite a few votes but good to see that voting is still open for our next assignment. Depending on the mission size I may be piloting so I've gotta vote conservatively A and SB.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

Popy posted:

Why isn't the dropships shooting the clanners? From my experience playing mechwarrior dropships melted my prized pink Annihilator over, and over again. The dropships should be unleashing those blue beams of death.

They are still powering up from a cold-start, none of their systems are online except comms and doors and such.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
As a pilot in the next mission I don't really want to pilot Clantech. Sorry Bobbin, but I gotta vote D

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

RickVoid posted:

This should be a fun battle to watch. Lots of movement, laser blasts, an urban setting, and vague objectives. At least this enemy will be slightly less painful than the clans.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the rear firing laser on the Awesome actually make it a DickButt?

Not so much with the laser blasts. The Valk and Assassin are our only mechs armed with lasers and I will probably be trying to avoid using my Medium Laser anywhere it will be effective since the minimum range on my LRM is 6 hexes. Also I am piloting the only mech that lacks SRMs so player luck is going to be a big factor with all those crit-seekers flying about.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
As far as real tactics go we want to pull them away from the nightclub so I suggest booking it up the road to around 0518 and unleashing holy hell on the statue from that area, keeps us relatively far away from the baddies and a bunch of L/SRMs should wake up the neighborhood.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
So as far as actual tactics for pulling this off go: spotting for LRMs is pretty terrible, especially with the night penalties. Does the Assassin want to spot for me or do we want the Javelin/Commando to spot for both of us? Or are we just gonna rush the statue and do DFA? Let's get some kind of plan in here guys.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
Regardless of the merits of energy weapons vs. LRMs I think at this point we need to move towards the statue and see how the situation develops. Get those orders in my fellow lancemates.

Also, probably not a good idea to risk a piloting check on moving through the fog, this early, so our one non-jumper should meander 2 or 3 hexes.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
I guess with that time limit we must strike quickly my brothers (and possibly sisters, who knows)! Destroy the statue of the wretched Duke.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
Okay, I figure I'll remain stationary this turn and engage building 0415 since I should be able to hit it fairly easily with my Mlas. Thoughts?

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

TildeATH posted:

What's the deal with the turrets on those tanks? Does that mean they can "torso twist" to face anywhere? If I jump to 1406 can I get shot at?

Yeah tank turrets are basically a torso twist in any direction, so jumping to 1406 will get you lit up.

I think that at this point we need to come up with a coherent plan beyond 'blow poo poo up!' I recommend focusing the Stinger side down, at least for this turn. How tall are the Heavy Woods? If I jump to 1016 will they interfere with me shooting at S1? I've never played with hex sheets before so pardon my ignorance.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
So how about I just walk forward 1 hex into 0816, that should give me a pretty good chance to hit S1, right? (short range for LRM, 2x Light woods and my walk penalty makes it a 7?) While being 7 hexes away keeps me relatively safe from return fire (long range for Mlas, Fog, Darkness is a 10 or 11 depending on which Stinger and the hill should give me partial cover vs any sniper shots from the Warrior)

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
PTN have we lost contact with P1/2/3? I don't see them on the map.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
Warrior H-7 Attack Helicopter

The Warrior is a classic Battletech helicopter, lightly armored but extremely fast (relative to 'Mechs) and packing a decent punch for its size. It is capable of both long range stand-off engagements with shorter ranged foes and punishing SRM volleys at closer range. The trade off for all this versatility is two-fold. First it suffers from the traditional helicopter drawback of having a big, easy to hit rotor that can't really be armored. Without going into too much detail, its like being unable to armor your center torso as a 'Mech. Furthermore the Warrior is particularly lightly armored even for a helicopter. The light armor combined with a versatile weapons load-out means the Warrior will want to remain at range, using its high mobility and large ammunition bins to take long range shots with its autocannon until its target is vulnerable enough for a swooping pass with its SRMs. With so little armor it cannot afford to remain stationary, but its large engine should allow it to dodge most incoming fire or outpace any pursuer. In the close confines of Tharkad it will lose most of its mobility advantage, having to weave between buildings, but will remain a threat due to its SRM-4. If it slows down and offers a clean shot it should be dealt with as a high priority target, however given its current speed there is little hope of hitting it this round.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

quote:

P3 Warrior H-7 Attack Helicopter cruises 2 to hex 1220! Currently at height 5! Floodlight active!

This is our best chance to bring the bastard down! Lets get 'im.

Edit: Can you DFA an airborne VTOL?

Dominus Caedis fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 3, 2011

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
Time to get hopping I suppose, now a mission to survive long enough to take out the nightclub, lets use our jumpjets to avoid those 1/2s for as long as possible. Sorry Terror Storm...

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
The Assassin is actually fairly safe if he walks into that giant factory right next to him. It should hold up for quite a while.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
Its cool, I'm safe here, none of the OpFor can see me in the middle of his gigantic gently caress-off refinery that I just jumpjetted into. :downs:

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
I (Valkyrie pilot) am currently surrounded by refinery/fuel tanks, no way I can just walk through those without setting off a chain reaction. I'm pretty sure its jumpjets or nothing at this point.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
DFA the Griffin, eh? I don't see how that will help us succeed, but it would be hilarious(ly stupid). So, PTN can I (Rain) safely light up my jumpjets or will it set off the fuel reserves?

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

Taerkar posted:

Yeah, the Von Luckner and the Manticore combine together to make a drat scary combination in lvl 1 play. I honestly prefer the pre-refit Mantie to the 3058 refit of it. Replacing the PPC with a LPL doesn't make much sense.

Thats why you take the Manticore's baby brother, the Myrmidon in 3060: PPC, SRM6 and 5/8 while still carrying...(hastily checks TRO 3060)... 9 tons of armor and its quite a bit cheaper in tonnage, BV or C-Bills.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
I sent mine out on Tuesday and resent again about an hour ago, I can resend again if you still haven't gotten them.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
How do jumpjets and building levels interact? Can I clear the height 5 building in 1028 with 5 Jump?

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob

Tempest_56 posted:

Ahahahaha okay that is a great twist. I can hardly wait to see the next political vote and find out how things are playing.

Also, I gotta ask - Dominus, WTF are you doing? This is a suicide mission, and you're surrounded on all sides by high explosive fuel and fragile target buildings. What's the logic in standing completely still and doing nothing? That seems like the least possibly useful thing to do in this situation to me.

At the time we where still awaiting further orders and I wanted to be able to survive leaving the refinery, I didn't stand completely still, I preformed an about face, but due to all the movement penalties from fog I couldn't walk through the buildings. Now that our final objective has been revealed, I'm content to jumpjet my way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
YESSSS!!!! A Most Glorious death indeed. Alright guys, just under 3 million more C-bills and we got this.

• Locked thread