Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's the Whitworth.

Which is 2/3rds of a Catapult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The real answer to this question is the Watchman, but that's a cop-out since the Watchman was designed to be a slow, cheap line trooper and it does that very well.

BattleTech was always pretty good about lending weird 'Mechs new life with new variants, so if you're looking for truly forgettable designs we have to look at ones that didn't get many variants. That could mean the design was perfect, but it probably means even the line developers forgot the 'Mech existed. I'm trying not to include any outright extinct designs.

None

3050s
Battle Hawk (1 variant)
Watchman (1 variant (technically 3 if you count the Sentry))
Sentry (1 variant (technically 3 if you count the Watchman))
Hercules (1 variant)
Falconer (1 variant) (disqualified because it's funny-looking)

3060s
Kabuto (1 variant)
Chimera (1 variant)
Cobra (1 variant) (is good and got more interesting with the barrel fist quirk)
Tai Sho (1 variant)

Later Designs
Aren't really being considered, anything built in the 3070s still has time.

Clan
Mandrill (0 variants)
Great Wyrm (1 variant)
Wakazashi (0 variants)

The Watchman, Sentry, (and later the Cuirass) all use the same frame with different engine sizes, so I don't really count them. The Falconer and Cobra we can disqualify because the Falconer's visually amusing and the Cobra's pretty good.

I only remember the Hercules because a typo on its old Mechwarrior TCG card called it the Hercules 9000

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Back Hack posted:

I tell you what, I wouldn't mind seeing a Charger fitted with Hardened Armor, a Super-Charger, and MASC. Have it really to the charger name, by making it the monster a tackle bot. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I was told there weren't enough Urbanmechs. This injustice has been rectified.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tarezax posted:

Plasma Rifle...

ULTRA MODE??

Typo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The only reason Skye the Steel Vipers have not started actively invading Terran Hegemony worlds in the Draconis Combine and Free Worlds League is because of the looming but disorganized threat presented by the Clan ilKhanate.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

I thought they weren't the Steel Vipers anymore and had rebranded to "Star League Defense Force" full-time?

They did, but that doesn't mean they suddenly stop being Steel Vipers.

Leaving their new warrior (re)education programs up to Melissa probably will, though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What happened to the Nova Cats in this timeline?

They're in the ilKhanate.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've been doing some hard thinking and I'm probably going to bump the new Large Laser's damage up to 10.

That makes it the only heat-efficient (1 damage for 1 heat) laser and makes it comparable to its competitors (and even with the Clan Heavy Laser at medium range):

PPC: longest range, minimum range penalty, 7 tons 3 crits, 10 heat 10 damage

Large Laser: ToHit bonus, 5/10/15 range, 8 tons 5 crits, 10 heat 10 damage

Plasma Rifle: 5/10/15 range, +1d6 heat to the target, 6 tons 2 crits, uses ammo, no free ammo, 10 heat 10 damage (8 tons 4 crits w/ 20 shots)

Autocannon/10: Ultra Mode, damage type swapping, 5/10/15 range, 12 tons 7 crits, 1 free ton of ammo built in, 3 heat/shot 10 damage/shot (average is about 14 damage)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I'd like to see your plans for the Raven and Axeman. Any interesting plans for probes/ecms?

ECM is about the same: it blocks the Artemis effect of enemy missile launchers and renders the most dangerous NARC pods inert (the missile beacon works through it, the artillery beacon only works if it's attached to a unit, and the tracking beacon does not defeat ECM at all). It doesn't need any added value since Stealth Armor is common enough which adds value to it.

Probes defeat ECM in their radius in addition to their ability to detect hidden units (which was always of marginal usefulness) and their ability to find stationary infantry in heavy cover.

TAG defeats ECM's Anti-Artemis effect for the unit that fires the tag. There aren't many units that abuse this yet, but there are a few. The "Laser-Guided" Specialty LRM Ammo keeps its Artemis bonus against targets tagged by friendly units no matter who fired the tag and get a -1 bonus to hit tagged units. 2 ECM bubbles (or an Angel ECM) prevent TAG from designating a unit for an Arrow IV strike.

NARC gets some new beacons.
- The Missile Beacon allows firing units to keep their launcher's Artemis bonus no matter how many ECM fields the target is in.
- The Tracking Beacon limits the enemy's maximum movement modifier to +1, but is defeated by ECM
- The Artillery Beacon allows artillery shots fired at the hex the beacon occupies to land with perfect accuracy until that beacon is destroyed. This beacon can be fired at hexes or at units, and if attached to a unit allows for Arrow IV homing no matter how many ECM bubbles the target unit is in.

I can't wait to see someone creatively Artillery Beacon a friendly light 'Mech in a mission with Artillery support and just run that light through the enemy lines calling strikes on it every turn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Two more headshots for the pile (pity the Osteon C gives precisely 0 fucks).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Rabbit Warren Update 15

Abhishek Gross’s talons closed on the King Cobra’s hip. The Clan Assault ‘Mech’s legs were well designed, canting backwards rather than forwards in an effort to keep most of them out of easy kicking range. The knee, often a BattleMech’s most vulnerable joint, was well protected from the front. It was a nuance the supposedly Melee-shy Clans shouldn’t have picked up on. If the King Cobra had been fighting a lesser machine, the might have been safe—but the Legion’s own legs were a similar style, perhaps a touch more advanced: with a high forward knee and an extremely flexible reverse joint on the lower leg that gave them an animalistic—or demonic, as was the intent—appearance. The Legion’s legs were so flexible they could kneel with both feet still firmly planted on the ground. And kick much higher than most enemy pilots would expect.

He wrenched away at that damaged hip actuator, twisting and pulling with the Legion’s claws. He’d break something for certain: ether his own talons or the King Cobra’s already damaged hip actuator. With the Legion’s TSM active, it was only a question of whether he tore his ‘Mech’s musculature from its moorings before the King Cobra’s leg gave way. With a piercing shriek his question was answered, the King Cobra’s joint deformed and shattered, leaving its leg dangling at a useless angle as the myomer muscles contracted all at once. The well-made Clan assault ‘Mech toppled, and drove its chest into the tunnel floor.

Shooting Phase
Sin #1 (Player)
- Attacks the King Cobra’s legs (3 base + 0 surviving troopers + 0 enemy movement + 1 protected actuators - 1 cybernetics = 3): rolled 3, hit Right Leg (34/40 armor remaining)! TAC!

Legion #2 (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 24!

Legion #3 (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 13 heat, sinks 24! Overheating!

Sin #4 (Player)
- Holds fire!

Legion #5 (Player)
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at King Cobra (2 base + 0 range + 0 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics = 1): rolled 12, hit Left Torso (19/32 armor remaining)!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 24!

Legion #6 (Player)
- Fires TSEMP Cannon at Osteon C (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at Osteon C (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Arm (22/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at Osteon C (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics = 7): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (22/24 armor remaining)!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 24!

Sin #7 (Player)
- Attacks the Osteon C’s legs (2 base + 0 surviving troopers + 3 enemy movement + 1 protected actuators - 1 cybernetics = 5): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (11/36 armor remaining)! TAC!

Legion #8 (Player)
- Fires rHeavy PPC at King Cobra (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 minimum range + 1 heat - 1 cybernetics = 6): rolled 10, hit Left Leg (20/40 armor remaining)!
- - Plasma arcs to Center Torso (43/48 armor remaining)!
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at King Cobra (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heat - 1 cybernetics = 4): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (16/32 armor remaining)!
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at King Cobra (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heat - 1 cybernetics = 4): rolled 6, hit Center Torso (40/48 armor remaining)! TAC!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 24! Overheating!

Legion #9 (Player)
- Fires Large R-e Laser at Osteon C (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 laser - 1 cybernetics = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (2/36 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large R-e Laser at Osteon C (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 laser - 1 cybernetics = 6): rolled 6, hit Right Arm (13/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires Light PPC at Osteon C (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 minimum range - 1 laser - 1 cybernetics = 8): rolled 9, hit Head (5/9 armor remaining)!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 24! Overheating!

Legion #10 (Player)
- Fires Large R-e Laser at King Cobra (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics - 1 laser = 2): rolled 5, hit Left Torso (7/32 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large R-e Laser at King Cobra (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics - 1 laser = 2): rolled 11, hit Right Torso (20/29 armor remaining)!
- Fires Light PPC at King Cobra (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics - 1 laser = 2): rolled 8, hit Right Arm (25/33 armor remaining)!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 24! Overheating!

Legion #11 (Player)
- No Line of Sight to Osteon C!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 24!

Legion #12 (Player)
- Fires Large R-e Laser at Osteon C (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics - 1 laser = 5): rolled 6, hit Left Leg (0/36 armor, 22/36 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Light PPC at Osteon C (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 cybernetics = 6): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (32/40 armor remaining)!
- Gains 27 heat, sinks 24!

Osteon C
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Legion #3 (5 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser - 1 targeting computer = 7): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (6/38 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Legion #12 (5 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Multi-Trac - 2 pulse laser - 1 targeting computer = 8): rolled 7, miss!
Gains 21 heat, sinks 22!

King Cobra
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1215!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Legion #12 (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 4): rolled 6, hit Head (0/9 armor, 0/3 structure remaining)! ’Mech destroyed!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Legion #12 (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 4): rolled 6, hit Center Torso (15/38 armor remaining)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Legion #12 (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 3, fails to lock-on!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Legion #12 (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 6, 6 missiles hit Center Torso (14/38 armor remaining), Center Torso (13/38 armor remaining), Right Leg (5/16 structure remaining (Crit!)), Left Leg (19/32 armor remaining), Center Torso (12/38 armor remaining (TAC!)), Center Torso (11/38 armor remaining (TAC!))!
- Fires Flamer (Heat) at Legion #4 (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 secondary target - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 13 heat, sinks 26!

End Phase:
King Cobra
- Through-armor critical chance in Right Leg: rolled 10, 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Hip actuator damaged!
- - Right Upper Leg actuator damaged!
- Through-armor critical chance in Center Torso: rolled 6, no critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 2 actuator damage + 1 massive damage = 6): rolled 6, succeeds!

Osteon C
- Through-armor critical chance in Left Leg: rolled 8, 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Hip actuator damaged!
- Critical chance in Left Leg: rolled 8, 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Left Lower Leg actuator damaged!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 2 actuator damage + 1 massive damage = 8): rolled 11, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
Legion #3 (Player)
- Kicks Osteon C (3 base + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 kick - 1 cybernetics = 6): rolled 4, miss!

Legion #6 (Player)
- Kicks Osteon C (3 base + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 kick - 1 cybernetics = 6): rolled 5, miss!

Legion #8 (Player)
- Kicks King Cobra (3 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 kick - 1 cybernetics = 2): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (0/40 armor, 9/21 structure remaining)! Crit!

Legion #9 (Player)
- Kicks Osteon C (3 base + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 kick - 1 cybernetics = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (0/36 structure remaining)! Leg blown off!
- - 1 Damage transfers to Center Torso (32/40 armor remaining)!

Osteon C
- Kicks Legion #3 (5 base + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 kick = 8): rolled 6, miss!

King Cobra
- Attacks Legion #8 with Mace (4 base + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 mace = 7): rolled 12, hit Left Arm (4/24 armor remaining)!

End Phase:
Legion #3
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 0 missed kick = 3): rolled 4, succeeds!

Legion #6
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 0 missed kick = 3): rolled 10, succeeds!

Legion #8
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 1 massive damage = 4): rolled 10, succeeds!

King Cobra
- Critical chance in Right Leg: rolled 12, Leg blown off!!

Player Status:

OpForce Status:

Special Rules
Cybernetic Implants The Legion is equipped with the Pain Shunt, Dermal Myomer Armor, Triple-Strength Myomer, Stimulant Injector, and Buffered Direct Neural Interface implants. As such they are immune to pilot hits, and when forced to eject their Sin BattleArmor count as a full squad for the purposes of Swarm and Leg attacks and deal one additional point of damage while making a swarm or leg attack.

Primary Objectives
- Kill Everyone and Everything (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Prevent the Enemy Land Train from Escaping (Complete!)
- Prevent the Society from finishing the Turkina Z’s Repairs (Complete!)
- Win before Turn 15 (Complete!)!

After-Action Report:
You lucky—you missed having to fight another wave of ‘Mechs by the skin of your teeth! You still had another turn to kill the King Cobra, so odds of the final reinforcements wave showing up were pretty slim anyway, but still. I’d accuse my dice box of cheating if it weren’t for that particular set of dice rolling boxcars about one roll in every ten. I can’t plan around luck like that, haha, those dice are going back into retirement. I may break them out again in a year or two to see if they’re still ridiculous.

This was a very difficult mission to run, I’m sorry about pulling the ProtoMechs part way in, but they were just such a chore every update was starting to take 6-7 hours to finish.

This battle was a lot closer than I was expecting, considering I didn’t even try to balance the OpForce for reasons* and instead went with multiple fail-able objectives with tight time limits. The players really stepped it up and far exceeded my expectations. Good work, everyone!

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm going to need an MVP for each lance plus the OpForce.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 30, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
This is the Inner Sphere, 3062.

... It's a goddamned mess.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rorahusky posted:

Edit Edit: Also, holy poo poo is the FWL ever a clusterfuck of conflicting allegiences, I love it. Every other state is neatly divided up into sections with defined borders, but everyone's favourite group of NO U looks like someone sneezed on a map and used that as a guideline to define the subfactions.

I included minor divisions for them since their major divisions are Marik, Stewart, Regulus, Andurien, Tamarnd, and Oriente.

Andurien's full of Clanners while Oriente has been eaten by the Capellans. We'll see if any of the minor areas manage to rise to any kind of prominence.

If I'd included the minor divisions for the Capellan Confederation the whole area would look like stained glass.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Regional capitols, with a few major worlds (like Kittery) thrown in.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I need to tweak the Capellan Confederation a little. I didn't realize the map I was using had Tikonov in the Federated Suns, so that will be fixed soon-ish.

I'm also trying to decide whether to continue here or start a new Let's Rebalance Battletech and rewrite Inner Sphere history thread. A new thread would be more accessible to new readers and would let people see the battles with sprites right away, but I'm not sure Baldurk would be willing to go through the herculean effort necessary to archive this thread on the LP Archive when there's a decent chance some of the maps are probably dead (and unrecoverable since their files are lost :saddowns: )

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

I'd be okay with splitting the thread. Two thousand plus pages is daunting for potential new players to read through, and a timeskip seems like a great opportunity for a new jumping off point. Losing a bunch of the early images is a problem though - could we use something like the wayback machine to try and recover them?

I don't know if any have been lost, I tried to update as many as I could to lpix from their old home on waffleimages, so they may still be fine.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chronojam posted:

Doing the split thread might be the way to go after archiving everything safely. Less daunting for newcomers. How much manual cleanup is needed and how is it handled?

No idea. I'd have to ask the archive admin if it's even possible. I can't imagine it's more difficult than archiving an average Dwarf Fortress LP, but there's still a lot to archive.

I don't have a lot of pictures and the table of contents is plain text rather than an image. That was the hold-up with the MA2 LP, I threw together some poo poo for the table of contents and it was too wide for the archive.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 1, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I'm all for a new thread if it includes a recap and links to the related events :v:

Yes I know asking that is a massive undertaking

If you don't want to see me again for 2-3 years, sure. Realistically this isn't feasible.

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm tempted to say there should just a wiki link for the turn archive. No need for anything fancy, just a page that lists all the updates and poo poo.

I'm terrible at Wiki making, but this is a good idea.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I made some good progress today, but there's a fair bit of fiction to write in addition to prepping a possible new OP.

Have a teaser:

Capellan Confederation
Romano Liao is dead. Justin Xiang vanished a decade ago under mysterious circumstances. The young Sun Wu Liao ascended to the throne at the age of 19 and has spent the last seven years reshaping the Capellan Confederation to fit his vision. Forced to bear the costs of running their own HPG network, the Confederation Government can't afford to send messages as regularly as they could under ComStar's control. With less obvious oversight, the Capellan Confederation’s nobility has grown more locally powerful than they’ve ever been and rumors abound that many are putting together their own BattleMech forces in direct contravention of Confederation law. In order to curtail their burgeoning power (and discourage them from building private armies on the sly), Sun Wu has formed an order of government inspectors known as the Mandarins, whose duty is to make sure that everyone from the planetary governor to the lowliest janitor (but primarily the nobility) is actively contributing to the betterment of Capellan society. Under Sun Wu’s orders, the Capellan Confederation treats its battle captives well. The only time the Confederation breaks their communications silence is to ransom captives back to their nation of origin or, if unable to arrange a ransom (as is often the case for enlisted infantrymen), to arrange for them to be shipped to a neutral territory: the Aurigan Directorate (E) in the periphery. In turn, the Confederation is swift to offer ransoms for any soldiers—even low ranking ones—who may have been captured by enemy forces. This has made Sun Wu remarkably popular with the CCAF and encouraged the Confederation’s neighbors not to pursue fights to the death.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Is this a play on Sun Tzu?

Yes, but Sun Wu's been a thing for a while. He was the first "new kid" on the children-of-current-rulers block.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Federated Suns
Hanse Davion is dead. Janneke Kurita has retired from public life. Prince Ian Yorinaga Kurita-Davion, their eldest child, now rules the Federated Suns. It remains to be seen whether he’s inherited his father’s martial brilliance, his mother’s skill as a Mechwarrior, or something else entirely. He’s two years into his reign, and has thus far managed not to start any wars or assassinate any members of his extended family. The Federated Foreign Legion continues to assist the Draconis Combine along their border with the ilKhanate in exchange for Kuritan troops to defend the Capellan and Taurian Concordat borders. The two nations are closer than they’ve ever been, which frightens traditionalists on both sides of the border. The Federated Suns has a chilly relationship with the Hell’s Horses, who currently occupy a stretch of planets along the border with the Draconis Combine (D).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Draconis Combine
Isoroku Kurita’s health is failing. The Combine’s warlords clamor for renewed campaigns against the Clan ilKhanate, but Isoroku knows that until the Combine’s forces are rebuilt such assaults would be suicide. So far he’s managed to limit them to light raiding, but his most pressing concern is a practical one: preparing the Combine for the ascension of his chosen heir, Yumi Marie Kurita-Davion—Ian Kurita-Davion’s twin sister. The Draconis Combine’s relationship with the Hell’s Horses is cordial, but distant.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Weissritter posted:

I would have said NRWR (and only because that is an 'original' faction).

I'm a Draconis Combine / Jade Falcon fan.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Clan IlKhanate
The Clan ilKhanate is a chaotic mess of conflicting ideas. The sudden silence of the Clan homeworlds has largely put an end to the second crusade, but the Clans don’t rest easy. Three factions have formed. The Crusaders, consisting of Clans Wolf, Nova Cat, Fire Mandrill, and Diamond Shark (the homeworld portions of Sea Fox and Snow Raven) wish to resume the drive to retake Terra. The Investigators, consisting of Clans Blood Spirit, Ghost Bear, Coyote, and Stone Lion (the homeworld portions of Clan Hell’s Horses) feel they should return to the Homeworlds to find out why contact has been lost. Lastly the Integrationists, Clans Jade Falcon, Mongoose, Goliath Scorpion, Burrock, and Smoke Jaguar are growing to enjoy life in the Inner Sphere and wish to consolidate the ilKhanate into a true power. The three factions have achieved a relative parity, which has kept the ilKhanate paralyzed under the aging Asa Taney’s loud but ineffectual leadership.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 6, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

What happened after?

Red Primer Gray dawn in the homeworlds with the Wolverines leading the resistant movement.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Free Worlds League
Carlos Marik is not his father. Where Duncan Marik sought external alliances and miracle solutions to the League’s problems, Carlos Marik has chosen to stop at nothing in his quest to strengthen the League. Whether it be pursuing closer ties with the Duchy of Regulus, or offering the Clans trapped in the Andurien Clanhold (B) JumpShips in exchange for military assistance, Carlos wants nothing more than to take back the worlds the League lost to the Capellan Confederation and restore his father’s tarnished reputation.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

So how’d Duncan die?

Who said he's dead? He's 75 in 3061, he stepped down.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Lyran Alliance
Melissa Steiner and Clovis Lestrade continue to rule in the former Republic of Skye (now called ‘Kerenskye’ (A) to honor their relationship with the three Clans of Task Force Serpent). Clans Steel Viper, Cloud Cobra, and Star Adder now dub themselves the Star League Defense Force. Tensions between Kerenskye and its neighbors are mounting as the SLDF eyes the worlds of the former Terran Hegemony covetously. Thanks to the quick thinking of the Star Adders, the genetic legacies of all three Clans have been preserved intact and new generations of Trueborns are being produced in the Inner Sphere—under Melissa Steiner’s watchful eye. The Lyran Commonwealth is still the dominant power in the region, with economic and defensive alliances with Kerenskye. Frederick Steiner still rules the Commonwealth, but pressure to name a successor and step down is mounting. He continues to play his successors against one another while he tries to decide whether Adam, Lisa, Robert, Sarah or Reinhardt Steiner is best fit to replace him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, the situation is no worse than before. The primary hiring hall of Galatea is deep in Skye, so the Lyrans pretty much always had the ability to interdict mercenary employers just by denying them passage.

The Capellans already aren't hiring mercenaries, which just leaves the Federated Suns and Draconis Combine who are now reinforcing one another and have less need for mercenaries in general since one of their biggest dangers (one another) is now a theoretically peaceful border. That means mercenary work in general will probably take a bit of a downturn, but the number of FWL mercenaries operating in the Lyran Alliance will likely increase.

ComStar's MRB would most likely switch to prioritizing corporate contracts, but there's no way they'd give up such easy money. They'd continue to claim impartiality in this case, they have no real vested interest in the second Star League succeeding.

• Locked thread