Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Want me to add you to the pilot list? It'll probably be your turn by the time you get caught up.

Could you add me as well? I think my request during your trip slipped by unnoticed. I have PMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

I want to use tanks more, but right now they're just such a huge liability to the opforce that either I have to ignore them completely when I'm considering mission balance (which could drastically turn the odds in my advantage) or not take them at all. Even if I do go with this house rule, like the deadline change, it'd also only be valid after this battle. So players; no need to change any of your plans.

At least with the lighter tanks and hovertanks, I think you'd be justified in calling them Agile and letting them move after the players do. To differentiate from Ace, maybe limit them to one or two hexes worth of movement after players go with the remainder taken prior to player movement as it is now. That would make standing on tanks extremely undesirable.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Don't Overplan
It seems like there's a growing tendency among my players to waste hours or even days waiting to hear back from someone. This is totally understandable, you don't want to step on any toes or offend anyone after all, but it will absolutely slow your planning to a crawl and it will make your orders late.

Your first plan, the first thing that pops into your head, is almost always the right plan. Do that thing. Apologize later if your thing stops someone else from doing their thing; or send me a correction if their thing is better and you want to do it instead.

Instead of saying "I may do X, unless you do Y" instead say "I'm going to do X, it'd help me out a lot if you could do Z" and then send me orders. If you then find out the other person has done Y and your plan falls apart, you can always send me a correction.

Also, going out in a blaze of glory after doing something awesome and stupid? Highly entertaining. Doing something dumb but memorable? Highly entertaining. Doing nothing because you didn't get orders in? Shameful and boring. I'd rather see a Goonlance die gloriously playing in the spirit of fun than lock the thread down through analysis paralysis or go stale on us.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

berryjon posted:

At 14 Heat, it looses 2 MP, but gains one from the TSM (and gets a +2 penalty to hit). So it would be a 3/5, and things will only get worse for it as long as it keeps moving. I have options, but would rather not discus them here where PTN may get ideas. ;)

Not picking on you, specifically, berryjon, as you're just the latest in a long line of people, but I don't understand the logic behind not discussing movement options in-thread. Certainly, don't discuss any plans involving turns following the next (move to xxxx to set up to get to xxyy and circle behind the enemy). But PTN already moved all his non-Aces, and his Aces don't move until he receives, not options, but your actual orders. Then he has as much time to plan as he wants before he posts results.

Not discussing options in the thread may be easier for the current batch of players, but it's really valuable even to have a discussion without the "future" planning in-thread for those of us who are on the waiting list and not experienced with the game.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That actually makes them a bit too strong for their BV, since getting two to-hit rolls gives a greater chance of hitting at least once, with the added bonus of possibly hitting twice. Someone out in the greater internet compared the net effect on accuracy to be similar to pulse lasers and their -2 TH. Except unlike pulse lasers, UACs can potentially hit twice on top of that. I wouldn't mind if they worked that way so long as their BV were scaled up to match--it would certainly make `Mechs like the Anzu ZU-G60 and the Uraeus a fair bit more threatening, so the cost would have to be scaled up appropriately.

A more reasonable house rule would be to give Ultras a +1 bonus to their cluster hit roll.

As an alternative, modify the chances based on the amount by which the shot hit. A shot needing and getting a 12 to hit would be a "0" and have no modifier; a shot needing a 3 and getting a 12 would be a "9" and get a +3 bonus to landing the second slug.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I also can't get MML to work properly for me. I have no idea if my concept is workable, but my intent was to design a squad with LRM launchers and semi-guided missiles and stealth. Five suits with LRM-4 or four with LRM-5 could pretend to be indirect-firing mechs, allowing the battle armor to misdirect enemies from stealthed assaults or other NRWR mechs.

Name: the Fauxbow.

A bit frivolous, I know, but I'm still kicking myself for not offering up my Salaryman mech idea after the Counting Coup scenario.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

MJ12 posted:

I'll make that for you! Tragically, due to the weight of the LRMs it's slow and can't mount non-antipersonnel weapons, so it needs close range defenses. Two infantry weapons let it sort of hurt things in close range though!

Wonderful! Thanks, MJ12. They'd need a squad size of 5 to fake LRM-20 launches, though, and packing semi-guided ammo would be necessary for the full effect (though I guess they can swap in or out as needed). Isn't there a glove or claw type that allows suits to ride friendly mechs? That would definitely be the best way of deploying the things.

Fluff:
The F4-0 Light Battle Armor (or Fauxbow) was originally developed as a proof-of-concept to mass cheap, indirect fire without needing the full support structure required by mechs. With the development and deployment of the NRWR's Void Signature System line of mechs, the Fauxbow acquired new tactical life as a means of misdirection. After riding into a battle area, the Fauxbow unit would take cover and coordinate its attack with any LRM-20 equipped mechs on the field. The indirect shot would often be taken by enemies as a sign of the target mech's presence, sometimes allowing damaged but slow mechs to escape the field. Double squads of F4-0s could pretend to be a stealthed Longbow or similar indirect fire mech, and on rare occasions they were fielded with light or medium lances to mislead opposing forces into believing heavier reinforcements were arriving on the field.

Manufacturing, training and especially replacement costs for the Fauxbow proved just low enough for the units to produced in moderate numbers. Survival rates for the units relied heavily upon NRWR victories, as the equipment proved too heavy for them to move at any speed, but the costs of equipping heavier battle armor with LRM launchers to serve the same purpose were deemed too high.

Privately, several NRWR tacticians consider the Fauxbow's continued production a sign that their high command values misdirection, confusion and surprise more highly than their soldiers' lives.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Scintilla posted:

Void Sig, Blind rules and enemy Aces makes positioning extremely difficult. I'm not surprised the players haven't been able to wear down single targets when maneuvering to get a good shot can put you in firing range of half a dozen other enemies, all of which are elite pilots.

It's also true that the Ace mechanic and standard Battletch tactics both discourage what would have been the optimal approach here in retrospect: circling the wagons around one or two of the command vehicles. That doesn't actually give up the initiative as PTN always loses it anyway, and the Ace advantages are minimized by overlapping fields of fire. The Phase one part of the battle got everyone into the traditional mobility mindset, though.

I'm also increasingly realizing how important it is to get a sense of the enemy's rules of engagement in these battles.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gimmick Account posted:

Wow, THAT is a textbook example for why you don't leave plot-related things to be decided via internet contests. I really feel sorry for you, now that you have to work this name into your story somehow, haha!

Obviously the Hogzilla started out as a pork-barrel project.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

GhostStalker posted:

Still, I was promised metal babby German Suplexing, and that didn't happen because of a miscommunication, so that was a disappointment.

There's still that Golden Locust... Maybe it's filled with candy?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
The other issue here is that the combat theater vote drives the complexity of the individual scenario and, in particular, the tech level and degree of challenge to playing the mechs involved. If the thread picked more of the side-theater, lower-tech, mech-Deliverance scenarios they'd be inherently more newbie friendly.

Definitely think it's worth checking experience level of the players before assigning mechs, and maybe even appointing a more experienced player as commander if the mission warrants. I'd be against too much difficulty-tweaking beyond that point: superior PTN force coordination makes up for the otherwise crippling disadvantage of losing init, and there's enough active vets in the thread to provide advice to newer players.

An especially fiddly mission (complex mechs, an especially challenging objective, force pool or map) might call for allowing newer players to postpone their "at-bat," but that would rely upon following such a mission with something much simpler. I guess PTN could configure the vote to only offer such options in these cases, and it might make for a nice break for him and the thread to go from something really complex and messy to something more straightforward. That's been done in the thread's past, certainly.

How would people feel about PTN sometimes offering a more restrictive theater vote? Fewer options for a simple fight would allow for newbie friendly scenarios and PTN could hold others for the following vote.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Clan Intel has reported on some interesting IS conflict resolution techniques. Why not cool angers by having a civil discussion, following by representatives of the involved clans hugging it out?

Then, when everyone is feeling nice and calm, Abjure those insolent whelps.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

goatface posted:

I would assume that LoS is required at the start of the shooting phase, so orders of "shoot the building until it's destroyed, then shoot the mech standing behind it" are impossible.

Given that the King Crab destroyed three buildings in a row this past turn (including blowing through 2015 in order to destroy 2016), I'd say you're wrong. But the players should probably find out how to submit orders to blow through buildings like that.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

goatface posted:

They don't have to wipe the infantry, right?

Someone might want to finish off the Sylphs; "the hospital still has points left" doesn't mean that patients, doctors and supplies aren't taking hits.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Sadly, I'm going to have to tag in one of the alternates for this and hope I end up with a scenario and mech as suited for a Battletech newb fond of maneuver.

Almost-comrades, keep in mind that PTN often has to try to control the battlefield through threat, which at the start here will be setting up areas where the enemy can focus-fire. Especially with heavier mechs, you may need to pick a turn to move in and take the best position despite the risk. Just make sure to be moving faster on that turn and to take as many mechs into the best positions under threat and get the maximum reward for the risk taken. You may be able to pick off one or two OpForce mechs on the approach, and there may be bigger guns waiting in the wings.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Penetrator
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Nightstar (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 dusk - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (16/32 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Nightstar (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 dusk - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (28/40 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Nightstar (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 dusk - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (26/32 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Nightstar (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 dusk - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 7, hit Right Arm (16/32 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Nightstar (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 dusk - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 5, hit Left Torso (0/32 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Nightstar (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 dusk - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 24!

Do Medium Pulse Lasers really do 16 damage per shot? Because that second hit seems to have taken the Nightstar's LT from 16 to 0 armor.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Affi posted:

Also way I see it the enemy only have two (three?) jumpers, those should be your priority targets. After that its just a matter of holding the gate.

Adept Kernoff here. Compatriots, you'll all note that survival is not part of our victory conditions. Let's make those bastards bleed. I agree that we'll want to kill those jumpers, but we should go with targets easier to hit initially. Either the Capellans come at us en masse, in which case the jumpers are going to be bounding back and forth for the move mods, or they string themselves out and come at us piecemeal, in which case the jumpers may get ahead of the rest.

I'm operating off the quick-start rules; would someone be willing to explain how those walls work? I presume one stands a mech on the level-2 sections and fires over the wall, gaining leg cover against return fire? Also, what are our options for leaving the fortifications? Gate only, gate or plummet off the wall (which I assume is ill-advised)? PTN, any special rules on opening or closing the main gate? With the open field and the sheer volume of incoming fire, I think we're going to need the wall cover intercepting hits for us, but mobility is valuable too.

Also, are the turrets automated, and if so, do we know what their target priority programming is? I think we'll want the AC-5s to concentrate on the tanks if we have any influence over them.

Madgamer and Technowolf, you'll want to monitor your hit numbers as the enemy closes range. Once they reach medium range, you may want to back off from the wall and use indirect fire depending upon the volume of attacks we're experiencing. If the enemy gets close to the walls, definitely pull back and use indirect fire to avoid minimum range penalties.

We'll all want to compute to-hits from turn to turn to see where our likeliest targets are. Given how target rich the environment will be, Theantero and I may want to focus fire on one mech at a time, switching targets from turn to turn, while the LRM-bots crit seek our former targets. We may not have the luxury of time to overkill enemies, especially as we're pinned to the fort for most of the fight. (Glad to hear from BTech vets with different opinions about tactics.)

Here's a very crude Paint edit of the map showing medium and close range brackets for us. I went with 14 and 8 hexes: my LPL isn't in medium until 7 and the TSEMP is in medium range at 9.

Kernoff Vengeance Counter: 5

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Artificer posted:

Maybe as someone suggested, they should move up to engage and only fall back as the enemies get closer? That way the turrets can supplement them a little more and maybe they can get an enemy mech or two to overextend and make decent targets for focusing?

If there were more cover for a withdrawal I think it'd be a viable tactic. But there's no way to block off enemies with so many bridges over the river, and it's a long way back to the fortress backing up at the rate our mechs move.

When the enemy closes on the fortress it might be worth a sortie, perhaps to cover the turret in 1624 or to threaten rear shots against the jumpers if they get ahead of the rest of the force. But anyone outside the walls I'd expect to be taking fire from most of the enemy Opforce. If we can get some lucky shots in on the approach and thin out the incoming weight of fire, or if they come in wave attacks, then engaging outside the walls becomes more viable.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

While I agree in principle with just about every bit of this post, keep in mind that the walls are doubtless every bit as breakable as any other building. The OpFor has one entrance to use, but they have enough guns to make more. Pinning yourself to a guard-the-gate strategy is just asking to be outflanked.

PoptartsNinja posted:

In practical terms it's 30 meters of solid ferrocrete. I didn't even give the walls stats, they're going through the gate and nowhere else.

I do agree that the jumpers could be a problem, but unless they get ACE status they're only dangerous if they all jump in at once. If we can drop at least one of them the threat diminishes substantially.

At long range I think it's worth offering the enemy some targets on the walls. Otherwise it's too easy for them to just focus-fire on the AC-5 turrets, and I think we need the turrets to get a few lucky shots off, or failing that, to open a few areas for all our LRMs to critseek later. If we're on the walls, we get around 22% or 24% of incoming hits deflected. If we can keep their hit numbers at 10+ I think it's worth the risk as we'll have close to double the chance of hitting them back between the +1 for the wall and the cover. At 9+ it'll depend on armor condition; at 8+ I agree that we should leave the wall if possible. Unlike the usual situation where we'd be using our initiative to control enemy fields of fire or get back attacks and kicks/punches, on the approach we'll need to use initiative to dial in favorable hit numbers or to deny them shots if we can't arrange any.

If those turrets can spot for indirect LRM fire, that offers another reason to pull back off the wall sooner.

Leperflesh, you reassure me about the likelihood of wave attacks versus a single unified front on approach. Having to go through the gates increases the odds of the Capellans spreading their forces out a bit, though they may stack tanks and mechs on approach to the gate.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Dolash posted:

This attack doesn't seem very strategically sound for the Capellans. They must be hurting from their losses so far against the Crusaders, they must've known at least broadly what kind of opposition the remaining Comstar forces would be able to put up and they've sent juuuust enough forces to make the outcome tight. Not to mention they're attacking a hardpoint head-on straight through the teeth rather than doing some kind of siege or artillery bombardment. They might not have time to starve the defenders out, but they can't afford to throw forces away either.

How many Mechs and support units do the Capellans have at the moment, roughly? I have a vague recollection like it was 40 to begin with (not counting Team Shadowhawk) and they're down 8, leaving 20 regulars elsewhere to take on the Crusader's lucky 13 (it's pretty funny Carlos left the last mission with a larger force than he went into it with). I suppose with those kinds of numbers they couldn't spare enough forces to make the attack on Comstar overwhelming while also hunting Carlos, but going after both objectives at once seems really risky - maybe they should've let these Comstar mechs stew in their fort while they focused on Carlos, and only dispatch a force to fight them if they come out into the open and try to link up with the insurgents.

Either way, even if the players are slaughtered if they do crippling damage to the enemy company in the process that'd go a long way to evening the odds for the Crusaders. If we're lucky we might even see a repeat of the lucky performance from last time and the Capellans are forced to bring out some of their ~Secret Weapons~ to finish the job.

The mission set-up suggests that these four Comstar mechs are defending the site in part to allow for an evacuation. Presumably the Capellans know that's the case. If they wait to seize the place until the evacuation's complete, the mechs can withdraw and go into hiding. If they try to level the place with artillery they may not even have, the place is hardened enough that it's only likely to drive the mechs off, which again means they go to ground. If my impression from this thread is correct, the idea that the Capellans might launch a premature attack to kill off all four Comstar mechs even if doing so means suffering casualties they can't afford isn't just plausible, it's straight out of the main Capellan playbook.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

MadGamer posted:

OK, a little theorycrafting here

1) We cannot stay in the base. The terrain and the construction site block major portions of our line of fire. But they also give us good things to hid behind as we fall back.

Not precisely. The buttes are too far away to be useful cover. Only the cranes block fire, unless there's three or more hexes of site in the way, so they provide very little cover for the attackers and won't be extremely helpful for us either. At best, we can use them to reduce incoming fire, but the Capellans can spread out enough to have LoS on most spots as they advance. One or two of us could potentially hang out in the area around 1617 between the two sites and use them for partial cover, but if so it should be our jumpers. Even they are going to need several turns to withdraw under fire from whatever forces are sweeping in from 0513. (On the plus side, the mechs on the wall could provide covering fire.)

I don't like pinning ourselves to the base, but I don't think it'll be safe for very long for anyone outside it. For that matter, if the attackers all line up down the 17-- hex row they're safe until mid-range and anyone peeking around the site to fire at them is going to get focus-fired to death.

Technowolf, let me know when you plan to pop someone with the TSEMP and I'll plan to shut them down permanently if you get them shut down temporarily.

My impression is that indirect fire isn't that bad a penalty, but that you're usually doing it at long range so your chances are low to start with. But the rules aren't in the quick-start PDF, so I have no idea. I don't think it'll be useful early on, but being able to shoot someone without them shooting back may prove vital if someone's torso gets opened.

PTN earlier indicated the construction site hexes not marked as buildings count as light woods.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, the forums won't let me send private messages at the moment. Going to try to get the pilot primer out ASAP.

Edit: If anyone can send PMs, would you mind telling Narsham and Theantero their turns are starting? Every time I try to send a PM it skips over the screen asking me who I want to PM and just jumps straight to the one telling me they're not accepting PMs.

Psion's PM went through, so the problem's definitely on your end, PTN. (And I'm a him.)

Tran, no promises on surviving.

I'm thinking I turn to face 1332, then advance into 1531. Next turn, I either advance into 2028 for +2 movement mod and torso twist to fire on the rightmost group, or I go into 1530 and then to 1429 to fire up the center at a tank. I also have the option of firing at the crane in 2117 next turn to clear away enemy cover. All the jumpers are on the right side and I expect they'll try to use cover if they can.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Thought for the players - the turrets might not necessarily be hugely potent against mechs, but we saw 2 scenarios ago just how vulnerable vehicles are to side-shot CfMSDs.

With their "shoot at closest" programming, that may be a bit tricky to arrange. But worth remembering.

Theantero posted:

You can only do that movement if we can run through the turrets. So uh, can we? Because I sort of assumed that we couldn't in my own plans :v:

If it turns out that we can in fact run through them, may I suggest the following: Run to 1630 instead and I'll take 1531. That way we can both reach the eastern wall next turn by running, and you can still reach either 2028 or 1429. If we do this arrangement, I won't have to jump next turn and can keep my to-hit penalty smaller.

I'll check with PTN. If we can, I'll revise my orders.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
OK, I think I'm best suited to continuing right. That Snake is 3 turns away from jumping on the wall. If I run to 2028, I can take potshots at the Helios from just outside its range, needing 12s to hit with the ER PCCs. If that group keeps coming at full speed, I'll have more bad shots the following turn and they'll be in our faces the turn after. We'll probably want the AC/5s to active on turn 4.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Theantero posted:

Right, so I can run to 1929, which will leave me barely in range of the crane at 1918 with my ER mediums. With two shots from those at long range (+6 modifier if I count correctly) and two shots from my gauss (+4) I should be dealing 40 damage exactly assuming I hit with everything (~43% chance of success). Narsham could help by unloading his PPCs at the crane on 2117 to soften it up, since even though he might have LoS on some of the enemies he couldn't possibly hit anything except the Helios and even that is a 12+ by my count. I feel like the crane would be a better target.

Thoughts?

I'm feeling a tad marginal about hitting the crane. I don't think the Capellans' best move is to hide behind it for a few turns with their jumpers to let the slower units catch up, as we can just engage the tanks under those circumstances. No, I expect the faster mechs to come straight at us and try to draw fire on worse TH numbers (9+) in our medium range bracket. If we ignore them and shoot at long range, we'll have about the same to-hit numbers and they'll be one turn's move away from jumping into the fortress.

Frankly, if one or two of the fast mechs hide behind the cranes, they lose the chance to fire back for a turn and they still can't avoid taking two rounds of fire on the approach. Unless Madgamer and Technowolf really need a crane cleared for some reason, a small chance of damaging the Helios seems a more productive use of my time. I'm prepared to be convinced otherwise.

Sanguinity meter = phlegmatic.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The Merry Marauder posted:

If we grant that that's what they'll do, they'll be shooting for sufficiently high numbers as to be ineffective, and you'll have better shots on closer things with worse move mods, so the existence of the cranes will be largely irrelevant.

In fact, if having a crane intact makes the enemy want to take cover behind it, I'm all for that as I think it's suboptimal given their present force disposition. My read is that they're planning to use the fast lance to draw our fire and allow their heavier elements and tanks to close to medium range, at which point they can lay down heavy fire against us with the tanks while the assault lance blows the gates. I also note that any mech hiding behind the crane isn't shooting at us. As of their next movement, we will have plenty of available targets even if one or two mechs shelter behind the 2117 crane, so they're only hurting themselves. Plus I'm not going to blow it up with one turn's fire and don't want any of us wasting fire against it next turn.

I'm going to take the net zero heat long-shot on the Helios. Kernoff seems hot-headed enough to take the improbable shot for first blood. And then, the thread can thrill as I tank for the team get killed by a headshot in the following turn.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Theantero posted:

Plan crane-kill was perfectly reasonable :colbert:

But anyways. I have LoS on the Snake (+10 or +9 to-hit depending on whether or not I clip both of those construction sites or just one of them) and the Cataphract (+10 to-hit) from where I'm standing. Probably going with the snake since it is much less sturdy and we need kill-count, unless there are well reasoned objections to that.

Snake is higher-value target at the moment. I think we should both unload on it. On the left, our LRM mechs should plan to unload on the Van Luckner next turn; if we can mobility-kill it, that AC/20 will never come into range and it'll be reduced to using LRMs exclusively. By turn 5 we'll have jumpers threatening to get inside the fort who we'll have to focus on, though how many depends on how lucky Theantero and I get.

I suspect we'll want to active the turrets on turn 5 as well.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

I would consider not moving at all and shooting the Von Luckner on 8s. I think it is right inside your LRM medium range now. Wasting LRM shots on 11s and 12s is realllly bad.

Keep in mind our typical scenario length is around 20 turns (With some outliers hitting 30 for the huge matches), and most of you only have 12 turns of LRM ammo.

I agree, you'll take some return fire but that's pretty much inevitable. (If the crane hadn't gotten destroyed, you'd take LESS return fire. But I digress.) Nobody has good shots on you yet. I suggest waiting on the TSEMPs until the enemy is in or near short range to the fort. Ideally, you shut down someone right next to an AC/5 turret and then we turn them on.

The Huron Warrior can't jump, so it's mainly just a threat to get into short range with a Gauss Rifle and try to head-shot us. If we can mobility kill a tank at this range, especially that Van Luckner, it'll be a big deal for later in the fight. Either the Huron closes next turn or it turns away; if it closes, it doesn't have options that don't involve moving fewer hexes and your hit chances will become quite good against it, so I anticipate it turning away again.

I could theoretically hit the Warrior on 9s, or I can hit the Von Luckner or the Brutus behind it on 10s. I am inclined to focus-fire on the Von Luckner. It's our highest-value target right now.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Theantero posted:

I see a lot of support for tank busting. I could potentially hit the eastern brutus (either +9 or +10 to-hit, depending whether or not I clip only one or two of those intervening constructions) but it doesn't really seem that scary when compared to the western tanks which I could hit with a 10+. The Huron and the Helios make tempting targets in that they are relatively squishy and I could hit either with a +9 (depending on whether the Helios jumped or not) and the percentile increase for success between 10+ and 9+ is rather significant. On the other hand the only thing they have going for them is their gauss.

So I suppose it's a question of whether or not I want to gamble on the 10+ for more threatening targets (The Von Luckner in particular will be in long range of the battlements with its AC20 next turn unless we shave at least 2 MP off of it) or try and take the safer 9+ on the Huron. I'm sort of leaning on the Huron (Maybe focus it down with the Battlemaster since we're both in medium range of it with our big guns) unless the thread manages to convince me otherwise.

I'm willing to be talked into supporting your shots on the Huron, but we're unlikely to break armor even with both of us shooting it this turn. It's being deliberately dangled as an easier target to try to take the heat off the tanks. Even if we don't score any crits on the Von Luckner, any motive damage means it can't get into AC/20 range next turn. IMO it's better to increase the odds of getting at least some motive damage through on it than to get the extra percentage chance of hitting the Huron this turn. That's especially true given that the Huron doesn't really have a good place to move next turn unless it veers away from the fortress; if it keeps approaching it can't get better than a +1 move modifier and we can shred it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Theantero posted:

Well, I decided to shoot at the Huron. I think me and the Battlemaster shooting at it and the Viking and Catapult focusing on the Von Luckner is a fairly solid plan for the turn.

OK, that sounds reasonable. With that many LRMs firing one of them is bound to hit. We're going to have to kill the Huron sooner or later.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Well... Unless you're the insane pirate mech with 20 machine guns.

I miss it already. We need it and Wrestlemech to make a return appearance.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
"Kill that Von Luckner before it crosses the bridge! Let's keep them guessing about which ones are safe to cross."

Technowolf posted:

If I stay still I can hit the VL with 6s from LRMs and 8s for energy weapons. That changes to 7s and 9s with Plan Moonwalk.

So, thread, is it worth it to fire the TSEMPs at the Von Luckner? Doing so would put me at 12-13(!) heat next turn, though I could always jump behind the wall and cool down.

Absolutely not. At this stage it's likely you'll want to save them for the Snake or Wolverine. They'll be inside the fort in three turns and can use the Mechbay as cover against the BattleMaster and Legacy. If we start moving over to help we're reducing the accuracy of our fire against the tanks and potentially leaving the right side wide open. Shutting one of them down is going to be vitally important if they get inside.

I think we all unload on the Von Luckner with secondary targets in case it dies. As I'm firing first with the ER PPCs, I may open a hole or two for you; I'll definitely not need a secondary target. I suggest the 0918 Brutus as secondary target; the other Brutus will be giving you and Madgamer shots on its side next turn if it keeps moving forward, which means lots of opportunity to crit-seek. At best you'll have 9's to hit against the Snake and Wolverine next turn, so it's probably better to go for the kill on the tank and plan to hit them the following turn. (They'll almost certainly try to get into your minimum LRM range, so you'll still not have great shots.) Also, that Lao Hu will be in range to attack you next turn (probably on 10s if you don't move), so watch out for that.

Again, I think we're two turns away from turning the AC/5 turrets on. Let's hold off until they have shots on mechs or until one of us takes an unlucky crit.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
The Snake and the Huron Warrior will be at the walls next turn and inside the fort the turn after. Catapult and Viking, be advised. Save the TSEMP for one of them. It's unlikely we'll be able to help.

I plan to back into 1829 and face 1828, then take shots at the Van Luckner. We need to kill it now.

Vengeance Counter: 6

I think we'll have to activate the turrets next turn. The gate may last one more turn; the heavy lance will be in position to engage next turn and we need those turrets to draw their fire as much as we need them to score some lucky hits for us.

I suggest leaving the immobilized Brutus alone this turn. After that gate blows it'll be a useful target for me on an otherwise wasted turn (at least shooting-wise).

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TheParadigm posted:

I think the smarter play would be to activate only ONE of the AC5 turrets - the one in position to take the shot.

Comstar didn't leak all those weak-powergrid rumors out for nothing, after all. A single turret booting up under those conditions still maintains the ruse for next turn. kinda.

It's an all-or-nothing decision. Looking at the map, I think they're worth activating this turn if the Capellans can't target them until the following turn, if only to give the heavy lance more targets next turn.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Theantero posted:

I should be able to kill either the Von Luckner or the Brutus by myself this turn, especially if I focus with the Battlemaster. I feel like the Von Luckner is the more dangerous of the two. I can always nominate called shots on the Brutus as a contingency.

I'll definitely be revisiting the Von Luckner for another round of PPC fire.

So, compatriots, based on PTN's response I'd say it's marginal. Waiting until next turn isn't quite as attractive as I thought now that I noticed the minimum range on the AC/5s. There's multiple targets in short range this turn. Having the turrets active could disrupt the heavy lance's advance briefly as they may be reluctant to step into the fire zone, not because the turrets are so nasty but because they can't be certain there's not another trap awaiting them.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Theantero posted:

Well, I decided to attack the Von Luckner with called shots on the front armor of the immobilized Brutus as a contingency. If any of you folk vehemently disagree, feel free to try and convince me otherwise before the deadline strikes.

Also, I feel this might be a good turn to activate the turrets.

I agree. The extra fire on the Von Luckner may be needed, too. PTN, I assume we need to send you PMs to activate the turrets?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Oh, must have been a typo on the older status images then.

Despite having the Cataphract shut down, this might be an OK-ish lul for the Catapult and Viking to replenish some ammo? There are three sitting duck tank targets out there for the left side guys, but this also might be the last easy chance you get to reload before enemies enter the compound.

(Is it possible to get your missiles hotloaded too? Because that might not be a too terrible idea!!)
((OK it might be terrible))

If the guys on the right can called shot the Cataphract's RT, you should be able to totally blow it away. Might be worth overheating a bit on the Battlemaster to add the LPL in to the mix. Or one of you could nail the Brutus while the other hits the phract. Two gauss to the RT will leave it with 1 structure remaining.

Lots of great choices! (this mission is cool)

I'm out of range for the LPL (13 hexes with max range of 10). But I'll be delighted to take the shots (aimed shot, or called shot?). What's the penalty for taking the called shot? If it's 4 or higher, I think Theantero and I should unload full PPC/Gauss into the RT on the grounds that I'd rather overkill than miss killing it because one shot misses.

That Snake is either staying on the ground and moving through the open gate, in which case it's dead, or it's planning to jump into the fort. 0829 or 0929 strike me as most likely as the mechbay will provide cover. The Wolverine probably hops onto the wall. I'd be in favor of the Catapult and Viking continuing to fire to get us to 3 kills ASAP. If they can take the Wolverine in the next turn or two I believe that they'll actually have a little time to do reloading afterward. Assuming the BattleMaster is still active, that is. As for this turn, either do some tank killing or try for shots on that Lao Hu, which I expect to be hiding in 1528 next turn. I'd go for tanks, I think.

Vengeance Counter: 8 (Edge, you shall be avenged!)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Just note that someone should swap spots at some point since the Viking and Catapult are very much not short range powerhouses. Unless you can turn on hot loaded LRMs.

I'm coming around to plan obliterate the shutdowns though, maneuver and reload later.

With the gate down we'll both want to shift to the left, I think, but pulling our firepower off the walls for a turn is a hard sell. I'm going to continue moving left next turn though where depends on what the Snake does. I actually would prefer to see the jumpers inside so we can engage them while moving off the walls. At that point all that heavy firepower outside has to squeeze thru the gate. And I have a plan for that, too.

Also, anybody want to sell me an "8" or higher?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I'm planning to move to 1629, which blocks access to the Lao Hu, and exchange fire with the Brutus. It'll have a better to-hit than I will, but I can't get outside its medium range and I'm untouched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Technowolf posted:

If I jump behind the Snake (1031), I'll hit on 10s, but the only thing he can hit me with is the LB-10X and I'll be safe from the Wolverine and Huron Warrior(I think). Thoughts?

e:Kicking it would be too risky as I'll also need 10s to hit and could wind up falling over.

I think the risk of the jumpers pounding on you next turn even if you do fall is relatively low. I am expecting them to threaten back shots on me to either force me to clear the gate for the rest of their forces or to blow me apart. The BattleMaster is currently unscratched and it's the one zombie-mech we have. Either the jumpers force the issue at the gate or they try to distract by going after the secondary targets inside the base, but I don't think they can afford to do anything that doesn't help the rest of their forces get inside the fortress. The Helios is two turns away from being inside; if the Lao Hu shuts down the rest are two turns away from being able to engage me at the gate, much less get inside.

Have I mentioned that I'm really enjoying this scenario? Because I am. Can't wait for my next turn in the pilot rotation to come up in late 2019.

• Locked thread