Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

It's kind of like matter and anti-matter. They Khancel each other out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

thiswayliesmadness posted:

As much as I want to bandwagon A, I've got to throw my vote at C

Never fear, fellow forums-goer, I shall bandwagon A for you!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Fraction Jackson posted:

This is what I've been trying to get at. Not to mention you'd have to kill anyone with any decent experience in the sciences, destroy texts (or computers/data), and so on.

It would not be a pleasant thing.

You have a point in that if this were the real world where we have to worry aboit political fallout affecting our own nation(s) when we go in with military strikes, yes. We can be REASONABLY ASSURED that Amaris' intent is not nation-building or winning hearts and minds with this ploy. That said, this is a thread filled with fictional stompy-bots, genetically engineered redneck cargo-cult samurai, a romance between a man and a woman and an office chair, a "Lyran" Mech reporter, and a near-literal Randy "Mecho Man" Savage, and a mission where Hogarth fought a ghost behemoth (replete with exploding boxes)

We saw Team Warcrimes with the incineration of the HPG, pretty sure the players had a mission or two that were, uhhhh, not strictly above board, so heading to take out a belligerant's warmaking capability is well within the scope of the thread. As mentioned earlier, there's easier ways to genocide the clans. As someone who hopefully has some kind of handle on PTN's GMing style, I really doubt he'd draw up a mission where the objectives are to turn your flamers and machine guns on as much of the civilian populace as possible. Will it suck for the Clanners? Yeah, for sure. Are warcrimes going to happen? Probably. But they aren't real, and the players are unlikely to be the direct cause of said warcrimes.

Even if you want to approach this from the perspective that "our participation bloodies our hands." PTN has stated that events can still happen without us choosing them, they just have a chance modifier attached. So those warcrimes could still happen (unless the Wolverines get counter-wiped out, which will probably be no less war-crimey). And EVEN THAT is a result of the thread's actions on prior missions allowing this to even be an option to have pursued. We're no less culpable by remaining on Andurien with King Dadlas or choosing zealous second-wave Clanners, simply because the primary reason Amaris' plan worked so beautifully was Goons executing it.

Tl;dr: fictional probable warcrimes doesn't get my hackles up because those are going to happen off-screen one way or the other. Also gently caress Clanners

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Psion posted:

The two best things to remember about contingency orders are to keep them simple and remember that the first case which matches happens and the rest don't. That's how PTN has done them in the past, anyway.

and if you write them out as a javascript if/else statement post your code so I can critique it. two bonus points to whoever uses switch correctly. :getin:

(do not do this.)

Yeah, as a goober who tried getting a little too modular, keep it simple. Hell, if you're really concerned about making sure you get shots on specific dudes, it might help to include an explanation of what you intend in the orders so there's less confusion. Also, I don't THINK that PTN allows the "If target number is X, fire guns" conditional. I know I did once just because I didn't know the rules for indirect fire, but no one spotted so the point was moot

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Question about Elementals: if a point of elementals (or whatever one squad is called) loses members, could it absorb another understrength point to reconstitute? Or would you have to run around with two half-strength squads? Would it be better to have 2 half squads vs 1 full squad?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Thanks PTN and DI for the breakdown of Elemental squads. To my second question, would it be preferable to fight two half strength squads or one full strength? I assume one squad would do more damage (maybe?), but a second squad would be rolling another set of dice, which is almost always preferable

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Damnit, I'm getting BattleTech blue balls over here

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Not retractable wrist-blades?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

That's the Space British way of spelling it

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

These bots were made for walking

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Post-time skip Lyran Agri-Bistro 'Mech, please

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

We both know Space Verizon would be more somewhat nefariously suitable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Rorahusky posted:

Makes me wonder how the Demon Hawks are doing as a whole, especially after Andurian. For that matter, I wonder what's up with the mercenary scene in general. I imagine that Comstar continuing to run the mercenary board is unlikely, since Comstar outright joined the new Star League, and the rest of the nations probably wouldn't be keen on relying on a hiring service run by a rival nation. Sounds like a good way to get all your contracts cancelled should a fight ever break out between you and the Star League.

See, I really like this post because it contains something I never would have given a lot of thought to when I'm moving grand coalitions and changing heirarchies across an entire sector of the galaxy. PTN, how do you let little things like this affect your storytelling, fluff, background details, etc when it comes to mapping out the plot outlines? Or do you just kind of disregard it? Not necessarily out of malice or anything, but I can see how that could have knock-on effects of "well poo poo, now THIS FACTION needs to consider it" and bloat the story/planning

• Locked thread