Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm more of a Heavy Gear inclined kinda guy but I'll be following this little romp with interest!

Voting Com Guards (Comstar) because parking our fat Telecom asses infront of the main assault seems to be a great idea.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

"Noble mechwarrior, go forth with this most holy and rare of Mechs to bring justice to our enemies in a honorable duel! The technology to make this glorious machinery might have been lost for a long time but it is made of the most sturdiest of unobtanium, you cannot fail us now! :hist101: "

*Mech slips on some mud and explodes*

"Ah, errm, hrrmm... can you start up the mech factory again dear? I got to go get some other idiot noble to pilot our death traps, these bloody electricity bills are killing us! :argh: "

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

As for magic armour technology, it helps that stuff like AC20 200mm shots have the density of water (well, inbetween water and salt water to be exact!) :v:

(Calculated by some insane people at Stardestroyer.net, yeah that place)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Voting F) 17th Recon.

GOTTA KEEP IT A CLOSE RUN GUYS

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Option A, this story obviously need more murder :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The armour comes off like an onion even to machinegun fire so I think they have a point :allears:

*It also makes battletech more orky, which is a good thing.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

From the sounds if it 99% of every character in Battletech is suffering from some serious inbreeding defects.
The remaining 1% lucked out and despite being a byproduct of someone loving themselves in the past managed to be born with fanfic abilities.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Welcome to the nature of caste-based nobility, as if the extraordinary actions of some distant ancestor guarantee you have some kind of divine mandate to lord it over all and sundry.

Frankly, I would not be surprised if the fact of the matter actually was sever inbreeding.

That or really bad sci-fi writers running loose but who can tell the difference :iiam:

Defiance Industries posted:

Victor Davion was born with the amazing ability to show and not tell. They say again and again he's this great general and give him in-game abilities to reflect this, but the one time he had to do all the planning on his own without his father, Focht, Ardan Sortek or Morgan Kell to hold his hand, he loses half the Com Guard and basically their entire WarShip fleet at once.

Anyone can have a bad day :v:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I sure hope we end up naming a mech "the MAX-123FIIz Battle Shrimp Ace Custom Full Mobility Version Revision 2.5 - Platinum Members Club only" :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Well, this is the universe where most people pilot giant tin cans wearing the upper part of first generation scuba gear and otherwise beach shorts for "cooling" while sitting in an oven. Anything could happen!

I've long since given up any hope of Battletech not being completely retarded and just laugh at all the hilarious mental images (do please post more BT related fluff, the inbred characters are my favourites).

It's like a box of chocolate, you never know what you'll get? :allears:

I don't quite know who to root for in this fight anymore, the Steel Viper clowns or the bad rear end underdogs(? They are up against proper idiots but you know what I mean).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Most battlemechs looks better when drawn by someone who is an actual artist/dude with talent instead of whoever made those horrible stilted linearts.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I thought I read that the Wolfhound lost its other leg the last turn, but I noticed now when it stood up again on a third leg this update that it was just a note for when something hit that non-existant limb now. It was a pretty amusing mental picture in true Monty Python style :v:

Things are getting interesting now.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That's more like it :dealwithit:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Now I want a match to be goons in a company of tanks vs a lance of clanners :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The time has come, the Telecom giant must rise to the call, deliver excellent service at great prices and... a gently caress it :downsrim:

A) ComGuards

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Most Battletech tech balancing seem to be semi-awkward attempts at keeping the mechs in focus even when they can't really explain why they should be.

I like the better internal consistency/planning of the Heavy Gear game(s) for that part, things like MBTs will loving murder mechs in stand up fights and are held back more by their high cost / poor mobility in the terrain of the game world.

Different strokes of military mechs between the game systems though.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

MJ12 posted:

Heavy Gear is a single-planet game, though, which allows the limitation of making your planet a Giant Stair World full of tight terrain and craggy everything to allow mechs to have a place.

Battletech is Feudalism In Space, where the Mechwarrior is a space-knight and his Battlemech is his space-steed and legacy all in one. The thematics (and therefore how machines are represented) are entirely different.

Well yeah, that's why it feels like Heavy Gear had some more... thought going into it on how the overall picture looks.

Battletech feels like it's trying to be Space Knights one moment and serious real warfare mech game the next, so it kinda gets stuck on the fence. It's a bit like how Warhammer 40k tries to have things like Terminator armour be super rare and special yet mass-produced at the same time (or somehow have enough around to replace all that is lost over thousands of years of warfare). That kind of presentation just feels lazy (and/or dumb).

Not much one can do about that other than homebrewin'.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Shouldn't the Behemoth be cubish? I can buy the actual dropships being spheroid to be able to enter atmosphere without being ripped apart by friction but it's not like the Behemoth needs to think about that versus hauling space (and there's a reason the common truck isn't a round ball).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Rivensteel posted:

Dunno if anyone cares, but Steam has a weekend sale on Crysis titles ($5-10). Crysis Warhead and the complete pack both come with Crysis War, the multiplayer add-on which is the basis of the total conversion mod MechWarrior: Living Legends!

I'm looking forward to checking out stompy robots of death, and I thought some here might enjoy as well...

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

Yeah, noticed that as well. I'm installing Warhead right now, gonna check out some stompy 'bots later on today.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I can only imagine that the first guy to think up the look and concept of the cooling vests and gigantic helmets was a hideously fat goon who refused to be oppressed by pants.

"Yes! Finally I have created the perfect world for noble knights such as I!"
:goonsay:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

E sounds like fun and I can't see how it could backfire :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Comguard, third times the charm right? (I think I've voted for them three times by now...) :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

"Those Elemental guys are goddamn jerks"

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

TildeATH posted:

That chick has some killer sideburns.

Of course, what she really needs is a big knife.

Chick... She? :raise:

I thought that venture bros clip might have tipped you off but it seems I should have been clearer. Those tits are standard issue in this mans army :colbert:

e: What the clanner pilots are discussing right now while the Comguard are screaming in their cockpits and drowning in their own piss

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 6, 2011

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

TildeATH posted:

You need all those double heats on account of the the pilot.

That design looks dangerously hot, will need some more heatsinks... but where?

Oh right, there.

:colbert:

e: A slight improvement, I think.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 7, 2011

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I want to see what is behind the ???-Door.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

What if some of us like it hard? No fun unless the fight comes down to the last roll of a punch :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

He meant to say kick. :v:

What if I meant both? :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

A bit weird to have hundreds of lush (as in: Perfectly breathable atmosphere) planets settled for hundreds of years without the population growing by more than a few hundred thousand/millions though.

Now if they were all barren rocks that takes tens of thousands of years to terraform with hard labour and there's only a handful of "like Earth" planets around... Which begs the question what could possibly motivate someone to even bother sending one of those rare jumpships + a couple of lances of super rare and expensive mechs to take a bowl of backwater sand or why anyone would have troops to defend those same places. Not every planet could be home to a HPG (and why place that on a planet anyways) or a lush deposit of unexploited unobtanium :iiam:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 12, 2011

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Grizzled pilot wearing a Gigantic Neuro-Helmet, hotdog cooling vest, hawaii-patterned shorts and taking a dump in his sparkling white porcelain toilet while grabbing a cold one from the 'fridge. Downtime baby.

Also, these guys make fine mechwarriors

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Option E) Death’s Consorts looks like a interesting mission. loving up the Federated Suns can only be a good thing, right?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

You'd expect tanks in mechwarrior to be like loving Bolos or something similar. That would be an amusing sight, a company of Atlas strolling along and then BAM, BOLO OUT OF NOWHERE.

Skull heads flying everywhere. Mountains melting, the sea rises to swallow nations, entire Clan fleets falling out of the sky...

And then the tank speaks.

"IGNORE ME"

:downsrim:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That LongTom :allears:

Show those mechs who is boss :patriot:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I took a screenshot ages ago when I watched Gasaraki, anticipating that this day would come :catholic:

(Watch that series if you like... weirdness).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Or mount a engine-unit on the rear end end of the asteroid, point at planet and have it accelerate itself to near light-speed :byewhore:

(I take all my strategic decisions from Yang Wenli)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Holybat posted:

Heavy Gear is a boardgame from Dream Pod 9. It was actually a pretty good one, and unabashedly a VOTOMS-based game, as the developers intended. There used to be a RPG component to it as well, but that's effectively dead from what I gather.

Heavy Gear II on PC is one of the best robot games ever made, and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:

edit: f,b

Was?

Dead?

Nu-uh.

Check out:
http://dp9.com/

There's a rather new rule revision out right now for the boardgame (Heavy Gear: Blitz: Lock&Loaded: Revision 1.1: Somethingsomething (:v:) up on DriveThruRPG and the RPG is still functional by using the latest SilCORE rules.

The rules are pretty great because they are A) Quick n Dirty B) Scaleable from individual soldiers up to company/battalion level slug fights with combined arms (tanks will and do gently caress the Gears up given half a chance).

And the Jovian Chronicles rules works well enough for a more Gundam or Macross-like game.

:spergin:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Holybat posted:

Oh I knew HG Blitz is around, but when I said "dead" I was referring to the RPG side of the game. There hasn't been a new sourcebook or new edition in quite some time, and the planned Heavy Gear RPG from SJG fell through as well. Silcore's done the job pretty well, but it seems that they're substantially revising the metaplot for HG now with the new Locked and Loaded rulebooks, so there's plenty (especially regarding the CEF and their plans) that's being changed up now. I don't mind at all, but they're just shoehorning it as blurbs in the new books, and so it's a bit unsatisfactory from the RPG playing angle.

edit: :spergin: bout HG too

Yeah, that's a pity. I've never used the actual setting, but it's a nice one from what I've read. The horrible 90ies artwork that they continue to reuse doesn't help set the mood but eh, not like battletech is better in that regard. Just cut n' paste some nice Votoms over it all and you are good to go :v:

I rather liked the old rules, hex based glory and more detailed hit rules all around. Makes it a lot easier to run things over forums and the like, as this LP can attest to. Not that it's impossible to convert the gun ranges and such to hexes, but the old rules had their gritty charm.

Can't exactly fault them for going where the money is at, but it loses something when each new edition is just a slimmed down wargame version of the previous one (does wonders for speeding up turns though, so that's a plus).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm actually curious how he would have hidden his company in the gigantic forest.

Like, there's the city/colony and then a solid, wild, forest all around right?

How do one march a company of mechs into that without leaving a easy trail of downed/trampled trees to follow?

Assuming of course that mechs can just travel for days, pushing through trees big enough to hide them from the sky, without rapidly suffering some sort of damage and-No, no must not bring realism into-Argghllllhgh :psyboom:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

:stare:

This book only makes sense if done South Park style, with Cartman as Rose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I would have introduced a Clan PROtagonist that would loving murder the antagonist of the story, Jeremiah Rose, and burn down the entire planet.

The End.

But that's just me :v:

• Locked thread