Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I love assumptions, don't you? :3:

Assuming she's not worse than she was in the normal timeline.

Assuming her stats in the normal timeline weren't exaggerated.

Assuming she's not better than she was in the normal timeline.

Oh, and we will be seeing Ulric too.

Two of those cancel out; this foreshadowing makes me feel less threatened instead of more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I didn't say they were concurrent assumptions. Also, it's entirely possible for someone to be 'worse' while still being 'better' (in other ways).

I'm just saying it's hard to beat the kind of boogeyman Arquinsiel laid out.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Zaodai posted:

... Wouldn't any Clan (or House, for that matter) need ships in orbit to deploy troops?

They wouldn't necessarily be the only ones. If Natasha were shot down and the planet's owners had a space presence, they could theoretically match a "deploy everything!" maneuver, thus avoiding a curb-stomp battle. You have to consider that this event is more likely late in the war, too.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Maybe, but pound for pound Clan troops are better in both skill and organization than IS troops (barring ComStar), so they'd probably get to the combat zone first. On top of that, the IS usually isn't ferrying in troops. It's the clans show up and fight whatever the IS had on world, if memory serves.

The Great Houses rarely held troops in reserve or bid forces against the Clans. They pretty much throw what they have out there at the start. My memory of events isn't as good as it used to be, but the only times I recall IS forces actually submitting a batchall were Tukayyid and the IS force that attacked the Clan homeworlds. It's incredibly unlikely the IS would have the reserves on world (or in orbit) to match the unbid units a Clan strike force would have on hand.

So how the hell did IS win?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Best case scenario? The transport "pilot" survived the crash and hijacked the SRM carrier Tommy Vercetti style.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Cheating is cheating, no matter how often you do it.

There's no such thing as "cheating" in open war. There's only "what won't I do in the hopes that my enemy won't do it to me?"

Poptarts, shouldn't Skinwalker be up to 14 heat, including the two from last round? Also, if H2 got killed, why is it still green on the map?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Didn't most of the Clanners call it the Cauldron Born save for the Jaguars?
Is that a reference to Prydain?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Okay, so there's something I'm obviously not getting about how engine hits work. How did I gain 11 heat from backing up slowly?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

landcollector posted:

Well, that was an unpleasant turn. The Hunchback's gone and the Wolverine is effectively out of direct combat due to the engine hits that occurred in the last few turns. That leaves down to two effective mechs (even though Sir gently caress You is missing a leg actuator) and they are getting thin on frontal armor. I'm getting worried about the Caballeros' chances here. At least that SRM Carrier is out of the picture.

Please don't quote the whole thing.

Now, apropos to my heat situation, the Music of the Round: Crawling from Hell

If I'd have known about the heat problem, I'd have rushed them last round. And since I know now, I'm going to go out guns ablazin'. It's not like those two mechs have much left themselves.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Alright. Can I still use my sapper?

It's every other turn once you start using it, right? Well it's been a turn since you used it last, plus D4 is just barely within range of the 'mech ability, so pile on!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Plus every faction that was ever featured in a Battletech book has to set aside significant blocks of time for being, "totally awesome, you guys!" You can't have main characters belittling environmentalists, beating up rivals, and pursuing romances without significant downtime. So with that and the napping, the Caballeros really can't be expected to ever get anything done.

I mean, look at how they got into this mess! They had plans for a relaxing day of napping, and fixing and decorating their mechs, but they also had plans to be attacked by the Death Commandos. They were double-booked!

It's called a war, mate. Even with modern deployment technology, the majority of any given soldier's time is spent waiting for the poo poo to go down.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh jeeze the overheating D:

I am going to melt my 'mech if I have to, but something is going down, damnit!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Totally worth it.

Music of the Round: Fire

I only regret that my scout company can't get in range of the snipers until the turn after next.

Also, did you notice you put Sure-Shot up twice?

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 17, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

As if an immobile tank with a single operable machinegun would've kept the infantry fighting?

Let alone one a few hundred feet away from anything worth shooting at.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

S3 should be at 0809 this round.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Well, if you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself.

Music of the Round: Church of the Machine

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

From last month, when this was brought up:

I think Xmas is talking about a live multiplayer event, rather than using it to log turns. Poptarts had mentioned switching to that format as a future option.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Justice Foot, naturally. I'm just happy I scored an important kill with both my units before the end there (plus the Wolverine is miraculously alive in spite of everything I put it through).

Final Music of the Round is exactly what you're expecting: after all, We Are the Champions.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Well if we're taking a vote beyond Justice Foot, I'd actually vote for the Scout Company. Maybe they weren't as flashy as all the 'mechs zooming around, but they managed to assist or destroy two vehicles and four units of infantry with surprisingly minimal casualties. And that's after arriving five rounds late to the party!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Option A. Max will find a way to be a thorn in Justin's side so long as he lives, no matter what his powers are on paper.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Before I forget, what, exactly, was Justin's plan before it went fubar? You've mostly just implied that it would have been less...bloody.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Skinwalker and the Zhukov win MVP. Congrats, Bobbin!

Hurrah! I'd say it came down to me being a lucky SOB who took damage in all the right places, but then being a lucky SOB tends to be a running theme for me.

Also, since I come into this game with no preconceived notions on how anyone should be acting, I think I'd rather go with the Com Guard.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

This was awful

I know someone linked a raw already, but I am still posting this, cause it took forever for youtube to upload. My first run went a lot better, but that video didn't take.

drat. So how do you even know your health level before your 'mech torso pops off?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Good luck, guys! Glad I left on the last ship.

You know, I think I understand why mercenaries get so much screen time now. They have a much better personality-to-'mech ratio.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I thought I'd ask, for those of us not versed in BattleTech background: theoretically, in the unaltered universe, what would Caesar be doing right now?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

He was in command of the 2nd Donegal Guard, ranked Leutnant-General. His oldest son, Reinhardt, was born in early 3032.
I meant like if this scenario happened to him, how would things be going differently?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

You may note that Gamma Star's explicit rule for engagement doesn't mention "breaking zellbringen" as one of the conditions. They will only interfere if they are shot at or if Beta bites it completely. Especially considering the IS forces' ignorance of the rules, I'd say the best strategy is for everyone to focus fire on one Clan 'mech until you bring it down, then move on to the second and third. This will enable them to do the same, so it'll come down to who can better use the terrain and hide behind buildings. If all goes well enough, you can string along the last Beta 'mech to turn 20 and avoid the Clan assault firing squad.

Since the clock is working for you, the players, you need to be as defensive as possible. Question number one is whether to use the tree line or the buildings as defenses: trees add to defense by simply existing, while (if you play it smart enough) you may be able to provoke your enemies into skidding on the tarmac if you hole up in or behind the buildings.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

You've got an encrypted line. You could potentially lead one of them into a crossfire with the light 'mech. However, with the odds stacked like this, that's probably the best you could manage anyway.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Personal recommendation: humor the clan 'mech for now but move the other IS 'mechs (and tank) into a support position that's as hidden from the tree line as possible. If more than one more clan 'mech moves into a support position or if more duels get called, start blasting the Cobra like it crawled into your baby's crib.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

So far we've narrowed down the Clanners' possible responses to "anything imaginable," plus or minus any series of actions that would destroy all five Lyrians within the next two turns. I think we all need to take a step back at this point and let the game be played for a bit longer.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

What is an honorable player to do? Clearly, I should not bid myself an extra light mech, as that would be strange and odd to be controlling multiple mechs at once- not to mention vaguely distasteful, since this was the bid force. Similarly, resorting to cowardly area-effect weapons would leave an unpleasant taste in my mouth, as well as being a distinctly cowardly weapon.
Technically, the CO bid all the mixed forces guarding the planet. The clan commander would have no one to blame but herself (or her recon force) if extra 'mechs, fighers, or artillery showed up now, considering that this particular match-up is essentially random. I mean it's not that random, since both leaders have shown up near an extremely important control point, but this particular set of 'mechs weren't bid against each other in a vacuum.

Maybe you could designate a second to command the light 'mech, if you didn't want to control two.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

landcollector posted:

Technically, yes. However, should the mech in question survive it will be free and clear to open up on the Rommel with its full weapons loadout without losing honor. In short, the Rommel should only do this if it wishes to die quickly and painfully.

They'll be doing that anyway. The Rommel doesn't even count towards victory; best that it make itself as useful as possible.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

landcollector posted:

I am curious as to whether that is good news or bad news for the players. :raise:

I guess we'll discover that soon enough.

If it's a goddamn lot, I'd presume it's both.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Yaaaaay, my proposed name for the clan mech was accepted! :D Thunderchild is a fine name for a Mech. Reppin' this H.G. Wells original scifi gangsta style, y'all. Probably wouldn't even upset the Clans too much; naming a mech after the first vessel, in fiction, to destroy a spaceship is a fine pedigree.

Also, we just fulfilled our quota of luck for the battle. Good job everyone. I think everyone knows what we're doing at this point, so no need for another tactics conclave. Just waiting for B3-4-5 to show up, then we'll have some more decisions to make.

Speaking of, where is B3?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It got Random Ace 2 turns in a row. It hasn't moved yet.

So would that be why it's black this round?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Question: I have some free time coming up, and while I may or may not be able to get ahold of Far Country, my local library's online catalog has some assorted BattleTech books. Would any of the following be crappy enough to sub in for Far Country?

Call of Duty
Test of Vengeance
Path of Glory
Dagger Point
Illusions of Victory

Keep in mind that I have no idea what's in any of these books.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

raverrn posted:

Man, I have no idea where anyone could find Far Country these days.

That'll do, I suppose. I'll have a look at it next week and see if I can produce anything, assuming no one beats me to it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

This will actually work if you keep the gasoline flowing. Not well, but some. Same as pissing on a mortar.

Honestly, volatile fluids make excellent coolant, particularly with open air exposure, since they will evaporate quickly and take the heat with them. Only problem is that once you hit a certain heat threshold the gas isn't doing any cooling anymore.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Our luck has to run out sometime. :ohdear:

Yes, but better for it to run out when facing the assault 'mechs, where luck really won't matter either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

They could all banana peel the moment they touch pavement and knock themselves unconscious.
I demand that, if this actually happens to one of the assault 'mechs, its IS codename should henceforth be "Benny Hill."

Alternately, "The Tramp."

• Locked thread