Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
My vote is likewise for the Death Commandos. It's time to show those dirty Federats what's for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

PTN, will we ever have infantry or other non-mech combat assets at our disposal?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

The Gray Death Legion unearthed a Star League memory core on the planet Helm. To prevent the knowledge in it from being lost, as ComStar was sending out kill-teams to stop them, the Legion made a hojillion copies of it and distributed them for free to anyone willing to take them. One of the cores eventually made it to the NAIS, where the Davion magic scientists managed to make everything work.

In addition, once Myndo Waterly became Primus, she dumped a shitload of LosTech onto the Draconis Combine, because she was the former Precenter Deiron and had a huge hate on the Federated Suns.

EDIT: Beaten so very, very hard.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

WarLocke posted:

New Hell's Horses totem mech spotted. As soon as they figure how to cram an ER PPC into the head.

Torso-mounted cockpit would make room. That's a level 3 rule, though.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Desmond kicked his ‘mech forward as the Spider sailed over his head. Spinning, Desmond flicked his control-sticks and his Blackjack’s torso screeched even as he came about. His crosshairs crossed the Spider’s vulnerable back as it landed and Desmond’s fingers instinctively closed on the trigger. The Kurita ‘mech’s laughable armor withered and ran under the assault.

Behind it, St. Croix’s Vulcan touched down in the woods, nearly impaling itself on a tree. Her own medium lasers joined Des and Yoshita’s assault on the Kurita light ‘mech. Desmond smiled, then frowned suddenly. “Wait, has anyone seen the—” St. Croix’s Vulcan staggered under the touch of the Hussar’s large laser; the heavy beam burning through her already damaged right torso. She staggered, but like the spider, didn’t fall.

She cursed into her headset. “Another hit like that and I’m in serious trouble,” Sandra cursed, “and that damned fast mover’s between us and the dropships!”

Jesus Christ, it's every battle scene ever depicted in a Battletech novel. You really have done your homework, PTN - even the style matches.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Death Commandos. I want to see a Capellan unit that does things other than die horribly before a Davion onslaught.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Laser Anti-Missile system. An ammo-free, high-heat CIWS for taking out incoming LRM's and SRM's.

EDIT:

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That, or they'd tie the hostages to their 'mechs as meat-based emotionally-exploitative ablative armor.

This. The more the Death Commandos model their psychological warfare on the Cybrids from Starsiege, the better.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 3, 2011

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I don't know if this pertains to TW rules, but in older rulesets a mech with hands could rip an arm off of a destroyed enemy mech and use it as a club. Given that the Hunchback has hands, and may be passing over the destroyed Warhammer, perhaps he should stop and collect a trophy on his way past?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

If there are horrible deathtraps planted around the hostages, will the Tech Platoon be able to disarm them? Might want to get them in to the vicinity, at least, just in case PTN starts a countdown after the active threats are eliminated.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Option E is a quick way for Justin to get himself shot in the head. Old Max doted on his daughters in the canon timeline, and with only one left, he'll dote even harder on her. Option C is definitely a no-go, because adopting a "wait and see" approach has never worked for the Confederation, ever. Waiting means losing more to the Fox. D is dubious at best - not necessarily because Max is going to gently caress up the war, but because with Max in power, there's going to be constant interference from Romano as she plots to seize power. Remember, every single self-advancing plan from Romano failed horribly, in ways that ultimately weakened the Confederation.

I'm going to have to go with Option B. Canon Romano kept her senile father out of the way and well-tended, and he never caused a problem. If this timeline's Romano proves to be as worthless as the canon Romano, then Justin can always restore Max, even at the cost of his own life, if only to save the Confederation.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

The Tigris is obviously a Leopard, and the Euphrates is what... a Union? Maybe an Overlord? If the going gets rough, can we call down fire support (assuming their reactors ever come up)? Or, for added hilarity, have the Tigris taxi through the reserve star?

Are there any rules for Spheroid dropships igniting their fusion torches in close proximity to exposed 'mechs?

Ok, I admit it, I really want to see a dropship pull a DFA.

This actually looks pretty good. The buildings and terrain give us some chokepoints to negate the Steel Vipers' range advantage. Remember, kids, Clanners suck at physical attacks and don't train on them, because they think they are dishonorable. Justice Foot, ho!

Preechr fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 24, 2011

Preechr
May 19, 2009

If tanks aren't covered by zell, will they trigger a grand melee if they interfere in a duel? If not, our little Rommel buddy should start delivering facefulls of AC/20.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

My dumbass recommendation for this turn:
Alright, we can't focus fire on the clanners without getting them all involved. One of them, however, has been helpful enough to jump on top of a level 4 building. Nothing in the Clan honor code about focusing fire on a building, right? I think a 4-level fall would do that boy some good.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

You know, I'm not actually sure how this would be interpreted under zell. It's obviously an offensive action, but it's not actually attacking the mech...

Declare a Trial of Grievance against the building immediately before opening fire?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Remove the fallen Nova's arm and declare victory in that duel. Then, challenge the Star Colonel: "In accordance with the Donegal Code of Honor, I will make you the same bid that was made to me: I will only use your mech's right arm!"

Preechr
May 19, 2009

They took the arms off the Timber Wolf in the back of TR 3050 to show details of the 'mech in profile that would have otherwise been obstructed. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

MJ12 posted:

There's the whole "ANIME" part and the attempts to distance Battletech from the inspirations, and the argument that LAMs don't have the feel of Battletech, which is about giant stompy robots, rather than hyper-agile doom machines.

And then there's the game balance issues, and the fact that LAMs are the most complex unit bar none to use. LAMs are extremely, extremely powerful. The Phoenix Hawk LAM released in TRO 3085, has a Battle Value of ~1942, which means that as an IS design whose sole advanced tech is the LAM system and DHS, it has the equivalent combat effectiveness to Clan omnimechs of equivalent weight using a bunch of high-tech equivalents.

This is because LAMs can book it. In the original iteration, LAMs had the ability to translate into AirMech mode, which let them triple their jump distances and jump with no heat penalty. Jump 15 is utterly amazing. In the new rules, LAMs in AirMech are somewhat more balanced, because they generate heat when moving (1 point of heat per 3 MP used), move as WiGEs (which are kind of like a cross between hovercraft and VTOLs, they're actually pretty cool), and are engaged as air targets for AAA weapons (like autocannons using Flak ammunition or the LB-X series). They also can't use a lot of advanced tech apparently, but we don't have full construction rules for them yet so nobody can say.

However, the Phoenix Hawk LAM moves at 15/23. Yes, that is correct, it is the fastest canon Battlemech in existence bar none, and it can keep this speed up all day. Nothing which can get close to its speed has anywhere near its durability (it's still a reasonably well armored 50 ton Medium Mech) or firepower (1 ER Large, 4 Medium Lasers) as well. This is why it has a Clantech-level BV. So basically, LAMs were extremely aggravating paperwork wise but really really devastating.

And that's created a huge backlash. If the modern Phoenix Hawk's 1942 BV is despite all these nerfs, imagine how powerful the original LAMs were, when you balanced for tonnage and when they were even more overpowered? That's going to cause a hell of a lot of hate.

I believe original AeroTech rules also had LAM's in AirMech or Aerofighter mode have the option of sinking twice as much heat per sink, or to do double damage with energy weapons while in atmosphere.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Have the tank crew grab their personal weapons, bail out, then perform an anti-'Mech swarm attack on the dumb fucker that just landed on them. If nothing else, it will cement Steiner's bloodthirsty insanity and reckless courage into the minds of the Clans.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'll be using them when/if appropriate, but don't expect a Stackpole planet unless I can think up a really, really good excuse (and, y'know, suffer a brain injury and forget that the Stackpole engine explosion rule is terrible). Maybe a planet with a hydrogen/oxygen atmosphere...

I remember in Wolves on the Border when the Snake Stompers got trounced by the Sword of Light, in a battle roughly as unmatched as this. The last survivor gave a Sworder a great big hug and told him over the radio that they were going for a ride, then blew his engine. Now, I know we don't have explosive fusion engines here, but that Rommel is packed full of explosive ordnance, and Knox is literally standing on them. Would it be possible for the crew to tell him, "Hey, rear end in a top hat, you and us, we're going to go see Jesus" and blow their ammo, taking them both out?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Secondly, Armored Cowl? The hell?

Armored Cowl is a UK rule that lets you spend one ton and one crit in the head to gain an extra... 5? armor points there, preventing one-shot PPC/Gauss kills.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Zaodai posted:

I figured so. But why assume when I could just ask.

The fact that you twice dodged questions about cloaking systems is a somewhat less comforting response. Oh well. Just have to have faith the mission itself will use them as flavor rather than a crutch. I think there's pretty good odds of that.

PoptartsNinja posted:

This whole situation is probably null. Signature weapon systems are almost always a joke, and the Naga is no exception to this case too.

It's not a dodge, it's pure Cardassian evil.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

A Wolfhound pilot taken bondsman by the clans. Does that mean the Steel Vipers get the Invasion's Mary Sue, instead?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

landcollector posted:

Taking the other stance for a moment, I wonder if it would be possible for Rubber rounds to be created for a Heavy Gauss Rifle (or any Gauss Rifle...). Probably not, as the firing mechanism requires a ferrous projectile to propel out the barrel. A close substitute would be goatface's idea. LB 20-X ACs using mech caliber rubber buckshot. Be prepared for carnage however...:gonk:

Discarding ferrous sabot, perhaps? Still, anything that comes out of a goddamn railgun is not going to leave happy, or living, people on the receiving end.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

From what I remember of Battlespace, a small tactical nuclear weapon does 1000 damage at ground zero, decreasing by 20 damage for every mapsheet away from the impact point, out to 50 mapsheets. Every mapsheet within 25 sheets of the impact point is changed to clear, elevation 0 terrain.

All you need to mimic this effect is 5 tons of machine gun ammo!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

It's too bad that 'mechs can't perform an elbow drop...

Unless we suddenly developed fluffy rules for them!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

There is only one true atmospheric condition for the next mission.
Underwater.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

That's the beauty of it- pretty much none of the Clans' bullshit technology will do them any good. No Artemis, streak, UAC's, etc. Heat sink efficiency will be essentially moot. Granted, ER lasers will have better range than IS lasers, but do the Clans even USE torpedo launchers?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I vote for the Goliath Scorpions to kill some goddamn space ninjas.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Since we can play Bobbin's mission later, I will also switch my vote from C to D.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

That depends. Is Arthur Luvon still dead?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Because of this post I now love you, PTN.

I'm imagining Lynn Minmei Katherine Steiner-Davion singing j-pop and a bunch of Mad Cats and Thors grinding to a halt all around. :neckbeard:

Edit: poo poo, wrong era. Hrmm, who's an appropriate female love interest in the early 3030s?

Hahahahaha... Rick Hunter as a big-boned college frat boy maybe.

Kym Sorensen or Riva Allard, perhaps?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

The thing about Loki is that it is supposed to be used against foreign targets. Counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism is the department of Lohengrin. The catch is Lohengrin actually has rules and poo poo (which is why Heimdall generally has no beef with them). Since Loki really doesn't, all the unscrupulous Archons use it against domestic enemies. Archons like Katrina, on the other hand, used it for it's intended purpose, which is why we hear nothing out of Heimdall between the 4th War and the FCCW.

Well, to be fair, part of the reason you hear little out of Heimdall after the 4th war is because Lestrade convinced the 5th Sword of Light to mass-murder a huge number of them. The only survivors of the Styx division were Clovis, the teacher he was crushing on, and a small group of children. Everyone else got shoved into a ditch, machinegunned, and then buried.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 24, 2011

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I think it's more like a Boston Tea Party kind of thing- they know their disguise isn't going to seriously fool anyone, but it gives them a veneer of deniability.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

HPG's transmit instantaneously, but are range-limited (about 30 LY). Black boxes transmit FTL, but not instantaneously. Entry-level models go around 50 LY, while the last production models in the canon timeline pre-Jihad could exceed 120 LY, I believe.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I want to hear a breakdown of why you hate the Gray Death Legion so much. C'mon, what's not to love about ending every spoken sentence with an exclamation point?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Wait a minute, they made a sequel to Main Event? Goddamn. That book really was a shitpile. Jeremiah Rose, the man so magic he can win a match in a Charger.

Mary Sue though he is, at least that cop calls him out on what a douche he is, after wiping the floor with his rear end.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

And when the writer isn't Stackpole, they're usually invisible, too.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I love Wolf Pack the most, partly for how they send Takashi Kurita off like a champ. Brian Cameron is an accessible character- he's not a super badass ninja, he's pretty much just a decent 'mech pilot with valuable secondary skills, an important job, and a nonabrasive personality.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

If we ever decide to take a break and try the Solaris scenario, I hope we get to play or see Duncan Fisher in his prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Well, he does get curb stomped in a fight he provokes. Sort of. All a day in the life of Jeremiah Rose, Space Chauvinist.

• Locked thread