Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It can punch, but at a penalty to hit and damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

It would have made for one hell of a better story, that's for sure.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

A 'mech with a completely destroyed gyro is removed from combat, as it cannot stand up or aim. The bombs go off automatically if the 'mech is disabled, except in the event of a headshot. The bombs are not smart; they don't know that if they wait 5 seconds before going boom, the 'mech will crush a train. They're likely wired to every disabling condition a 'mech could face (leg removal, engine destruction, gyro failure, non-catastrophic damage-related pilot death, unconsciousness, etc).

Although, now that I think of it, there is a rule in Maximum Tech that allows a chance for the flaming debris of a 'mech shot down mid-DFA to still hit the target.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 18, 2011

Preechr
May 19, 2009

D.

From what I remember, the Dragoons actually found an enormous amount of usable tech on Outreach that they concealed from Davion. It also puts Melissa in an area with plentiful possibilities for shenanigans. Got to show Hanse that she's worthy of his love by conquering a world, after all.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

There is only one true Battletech commentator, and that is Duncan Fisher.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I'll give the PonyMech a shot, too.

code:
Type/Model:    Ponymech PNY-4U
Tech:          Clan / 3060
Config:        Quad OmniMech
Rules:         Level 2, Standard design

Mass:          45 tons
Chassis:       Endo Steel
Power Plant:   315 XL Fusion
Walking Speed: 75.6 km/h
Maximum Speed: 118.8 [151.2] km/h
Jump Jets:     None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor Type:    Ferro-Fibrous 
Armament:      
  4 Heavy Medium Lasers
  3 Flamers
  1 ER Large Laser 
Manufacturer:  (Unknown)
Communications System:  (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System:  (Unknown)

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model:    Ponymech PNY-4U
Mass:          45 tons

Equipment:                                 Crits    Mass
Int. Struct.:  83 pts Endo Steel             7      2.50
 (Endo Steel Loc: 3 LT, 2 RT, 1 LRL, 1 RRL)
Engine:        315 XL                       10     11.00
   Walking MP:   7
   Running MP:  11 [14]
   Jumping MP:   0
Heat Sinks:     12 Double [24]               0      2.00
Gyro:                                        4      4.00
Cockpit, Life Supt.:                         5      3.00
MASC:                                        2      2.00
Leg Act: Hip + UpLeg + LowLeg + Foot        16       .00
Armor Factor:  169 pts Ferro-Fibrous         7      9.00
 (Armor Crit Loc: 4 LT, 3 RT)

Internal    Armor
                          Structure   Value
   Head:                      3          9      
   Center Torso:             14         21      
   Center Torso (Rear):                  7      
   L/R Side Torso:           11      16/16      
   L/R Side Torso (Rear):              6/6      
   L/R Front Leg:            11      22/22      
   L/R Rear Leg:             11      22/22      

Weapons and Equipment    Loc  Heat  Ammo   Crits    Mass
1 Heavy Medium Laser     RFL     7           2      1.00
1 Heavy Medium Laser     LFL     7           2      1.00
1 Heavy Medium Laser     RT      7           2      1.00
1 Heavy Medium Laser     LT      7           2      1.00
1 Flamer                 LT      3           1       .50
1 ER Large Laser         HD     12           1      4.00
1 Flamer                 LRL     3           1       .50
1 Flamer                 RRL     3           1       .50
1 Targeting Computer     CT                  2      2.00
TOTALS:                         49          65     45.00
Crits & Tons Left:                           1       .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost:        12,793,894 C-Bills
Battle Value:      1,425
Cost per BV:       8,978.17
Weapon Value:      1,587 / 1,587 (Ratio = 1.11 / 1.11)
Damage Factors:    SRDmg = 24;  MRDmg = 10;  LRDmg = 6
BattleForce2:      MP: 7,  Armor/Structure: 4/3
                   Damage PB/M/L: 4/3/1,  Overheat: 3
                   Class: MM;  Point Value: 14
                   Specials: omni
Ok, I suck at building 'mechs, but my vision of it is a close-range nightmare that can snipe you with the head laser until it can use MASC to close to muderin' range. The flamers are there for notional anti-swarm defense against PBI's.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

There are also special rules for flamers using Inferno fuel. A useful option, but if you take a hit to the flamer, you get to die a horrible, flaming death.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Surprisingly enough, Rifts, for all its faults, actually handled computer-related technological advancement past the date of publishing fairly well. I think the rule went something along the lines of, "We know that computers improve at an astonishing rate, and shortly after this book is printed, any computer specs we put down are going to look ridiculous. To calculate computer capabilities in your setting, take whatever computers are capable of in your time and multiply it by 100."

Unfortunately, the rest of the setting was so very, very messy.

Battletech does show its age, though. I remember Riva Allard talking about how the Helm memory core had a couple hundred kilobytes on Kearney-Fuchida Jumpdrive theory, or something, and that was just amazing.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

You may ask, how brutal are Elementals in urban combat? Phelan Kell, the biggest Mary Sue this side of Kai Allard-Liao, fought an Elemental one-on-one in a city once. He literally had to drop a skyscraper on it in order to kill him.

Ghoststalker, the initial swarm attack is only to get them attached. Next turn, they start dealing damage and criticals.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

If this gets any worse, the Captain of the dropship might want to orbital drop all remaining mechs, and then ram the Lola III. Stupid, but also awesome.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Keep in mind that "small laser" is basically identical to an IS medium laser. Usually the best choice for BA, though the others have their uses. MG elementals are like a boss fight in the RPG and the foamed is ridiculous for anti-infantry duty in forests or cities.

Actually, Clan Elementals use standard small lasers, not ER smalls. They're just like IS small lasers.

e:f,b

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Don't forget A Place. I know nothing about it, but it does pop up tangentially in a few books.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

There's a canned adventure for Mechwarrior 3rd edition that has an insane Comstar Precentor use the HPG like a death ray on attacking 'mechs. If the ComGuard wins this one, maybe they can try and use it to burn out the electronics on the already-damaged Lola III?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

The horrifying thing about the Gaussback IIC is that since it generates gently caress-all for heat, it can drop those extra heatsinks and take Ferro-Fibrous armor - making it capable of actually taking hits.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I vote D. It's time to pit Clantech vs. Goddamn Ninjas.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

The infection is probably from touching people/things that came from the Universe of Insane poo poo, i.e. Far Country. Reality is now breaking down around Mechwarrior Nioclas.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Victor was driving Ardan Sortek's 'Mech? I had no idea.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Magni posted:

The P-Hawk is a white elephant with the sensor hit. Kill the drat Panther, for god's sake! Gunnery 2 and a PPC can ruin your whole day in a single round.

They don't work automatically. Each one is a one-shot eapon that needs to be trigerred in the shooting phase and will just automatically shred any infantry in the same hex as your Mech.

From what I remember of TRO3050, if a 'Mech with A-pods is swarmed from ambush, the pilot may choose to detonate them and have the damage applied to the swarming infantry before the infantry rolls damage.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

You can predict the arrival of a jumpship. The exit point radiates IR in direct proportion to the size of the drive field created, prior to arrival. Jumpships do not actually transit instantaneously, but take some minutes to arrive. However, the burst of IR radation actually occurs before the jumpship even begins to charge their drive, according to Endgame.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

That happened in the canon timeline after Katherine Steiner-Davion funded the creation of a second HPG on critical worlds that already had one HPG. There was then an HPG pointing upstream and downstream for priority calls, with the message bounced between stations on the same planet via conventional means.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

The failures have been just as awesome as the victories, so far.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

C Without relearning the arts of massive-scale warfare, Davion will be hosed when the final showdown occurs.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

D. I loved the last mission. I can't wait to see what other nonsense is happening in the Silent Shoal.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

AgroMechs exist only so plucky rebels can strap machine guns on them and get their poo poo kicked in by real 'mechs, thus engendering sympathy for the rebel cause and disgust for the villain.

Let's face it, that's how they've been used in every Battletech novel they've ever appeared in.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Well, gently caress. Well played, Clovis. Well played. Finally, a Free Skye that doesn't arise from retardation.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

The best answer is to redesign the throne to be the command couch of a Battlemaster that's standing on a lower level with its head level with the floor. poo poo goes down, hit the button, bam - Battle Archon.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

The Horses of Hell
Bring the yellow bird with them
Luthien shall fall.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

If we fight the Battle of Luthien, think of it this way: If we win, we've dealt a heavy blow to a canon power, and things will get interesting. If we lose, we'll be dumping a boatload of salvage right into the laps of the dracs, which means we'll probably be getting more Level 2 gear. It's a win/win situation!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Wasn't there a Russian tank that used an autoloader? I recall something about the autoloader having a tendency to load parts of the operator along with the shell.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Not all the post-Stackpole books portray the Davions as the good guys. The second Gray Death Legion series (I know, I know, but bear with me) shows the friendly local Davion representatives to Space-Scotland as torturing, raping, mass-murdering thugs! Progress!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

The next time the Hell's Horses hit a world without mech-equipped defenders, maybe the planetary militia, who happen to be a bunch of hovercraft-driving space-rednecks, challenge them to an honorable race for possession of the world...

Preechr
May 19, 2009

After all, Clan girls are half the weight and go twice as far.

I'm so sorry.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

It's not an Imperial city, it is Imperial City.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Heavy Gear II was a beautiful game, with a few teensy multiplayer balance issues. For example, if you eliminate your gear's ability to walk, you can use the spare points to max out skate speed and armor. Furthermore, there was one gear, the Warrior Elite, that turned 50% faster than any other gear in the game.

God, I played that game to death when I was 14. The group I was gaming with even made it to the top of the league that somebody set up, before the whole thing came apart.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Wolf Pack is pretty good, too. Not as good as Wolves on the Border, but up there.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I don't remember Rose's sister sleeping with Morgain, or Rose sleeping with one of his subordinates. I guess I've purged this book out of my memory more thoroughly than I believed.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

A lot of the people on the boards are fans of Victor for the same reason there are a lot of Davion fans there: the shoddy novels tell them to be. But yeah, his leadership in the FCCW is total rear end, too, if you actually read the FCCWSB. Hell, the guy had NOTHING to do with the Davion theater of combat for years, left it entirely to Ardan Sortek. Then he shows up and people start giving him credit for the win when the first major decision he makes is to give Tikonov to the Capellans with a bow on it. Awful. And in Bulldog? Focht was the guy in charge who did all the operational planning and Victor lead battles or something. Dude's pattern is really apparent:

1. Find someone better than you (his dad, Kell, Sortek, Focht)
2. Latch on to that person
3. Take credit for things they do.

You forgot a few steps:
4. Take every opportunity to let your murderous, manipulative bitch of a sister know that you're on to her, but never, ever take any steps to check her influence or power.
5. Leave your realm in the hands of your gullible, incompetent sister.
6. gently caress off for 2 years.
7. Act surprised that poo poo happened while you were gone.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Unfortunately, the "Only surats do drugs, quiaff?" campaign never took off.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

If you're a villain in a Grey Death Legion novel, you just strap them to the cooling jackets of your PPC's, right next to your prisoners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Nevets posted:

Wouldn't you want to strap them on to your armor instead? That way your enemies would have a reason to not shoot you, rather than giving your enemies a reason to hope you don't shoot them (and that base is probably already covered).

It was some rear end in a top hat in a Marauder stomping through a town. The militia didn't have anything heavier than a hunting rifle. He cooked, then stomped on his prisoner, just to be a dick and show how eeeevil he was.

• Locked thread