Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wow, I'm glad I happened to spot this thread before I went out for the night. I loved Battletech (and the Mechwarrior games) as a kid.

I vote for the Davion Heavy Guards because really, all they do is wreck people's poo poo. Full stop.

Also, does Clan Nova Cat get thoroughly embarrassed by the Combine in this timeline? The Combine suddenly getting a bunch of free Omnitech would be kind of bad for the Davions.

(And yeah, those of you who were giving much love for the Kodiak are good people. It's such a good mech.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Corbeau posted:

If you're talking Heavy, then you only ever need one. The Timber Wolf. Clearly superior to every other Heavy Omnimech ever designed, it really points out the core flaws of having Omnimechs in the Battletech construction system.

The Nova Cat was a pretty good Heavy Omni, if you wanted a laser/PPC platform. Assuming you were fighting on polar ice caps, or a barren moon or something.

But yeah, the Timber Wolf was always a pretty nasty mech, doubly so in the Mechwarrior games where you could mix and match tech and you didn't really have slot systems. My favorite loadout when I played in non-stock MW4 leagues was one with 4 ER Large Lasers and a pair of Light Gauss rifles, or if you wanted lower damage but longer range (and slightly more manageable heat) 2 ERPPCs and 2 Light Gauss.

But back on the topic of medium/heavy 'mechs, I was always a fan of the Cauldron-Born. It's technically classed as a Heavy, but at 65 Tons and with it's low slung profile and relatively high speed, it really acts more like a Medium. Sadly, it's primary variant is pretty crap if memory serves (an LBX5, a gauss rifle, some SRMs and LRMs and maybe a couple med lasers?) but some of the alternate variants are really, really nasty. I want to say there is a Glass Cannon variant that is 2 ER Large and an Ultra AC20. That will ruin someone's day in a hurry.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ah, MGs. The most worthless crap weapon ever.

I get that it's supposed to be for anti-infantry work, but I'd still rather dump a flight of SRMs at a group of infantry than carry an MG. SRMs can do some damage to mechs, blow up light to medium tanks, hovercraft, and the occasional aircraft (especially if they're SSRMs). Machine guns can only do damage to anything armored if there should happen to be a catastrophic internal explosion.

If you could figure a way to get that entire ton of ammo in right next to the enemy reactor all at once, it'd be a viable weapon.

Also, Axe-Man, I expect great things from you this fight. The Blackjack variant you have has a really nice loadout. :black101:

(But screw you all for not voting Davion Heavy Guards. Was I the only one that did?)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

WarLocke posted:

Hopefully the newer ones since the ones I have make infantry pretty objectively poo poo.

They should be reasonably poo poo under any ruleset, though I never bothered to pick up the "new" rules. I'm going off memory of the old FASA rules. A few guys with tube launch SRMs aren't going to be very effective except the very lightest of mechs. Best case scenario (for the infantry, not the mech) is that maybe they're specialized anti-mech guerrillas with those adhesive climbing batons and they can pack explosives in the leg joints.

I just have a natural hatred for machine guns in Battletech. Flamers, pulse lasers, missiles, etc would all be less useless options unless you're specifically preparing to fight an ungodly amount of infantry.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Longinus00 posted:

It's not just a rebalance, it's also an effort to make things slightly more realistic. A HEAT round from the 120mm of an Abrams would do massive damage to any other vehicle but it would be very unusual for one shot to wipe out a squad of infantry.

I'm not suggesting the old rules were more realistic, or better, etc. Just that machine guns are poo poo against anything but infantry, where as your other anti-infantry options may be slightly less effective against infantry than MGs, but have the added benefit of actually being useful against everything else. I'm hating on MGs, not the rules themselves.

(Also, it would depend on where that squad was. An MG isn't going to do a whole lot against infantry in heavy cover aside from keep their heads down. A missile salvo, flamers, etc would be more effective there. If the infantry are just using 1700s european warfare against you, then yes, a stream of many projectiles is better.)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

WarLocke posted:

Did they ever move past the 'there are 4 types of mechs in the entire Sphere' thing they did with Centurions, Wolfhounds, Maulers and Axemen?

Hey now, they had Bushwackers too.

Strangely, I never saw the cartoon as a kid, so I had gotten a couple of the toys just because I had been reading Battletech books and played the Mechwarrior games of the time.

If they are up against a Panther as the mystery mech, I feel a little sorry for them. Though at least it's not a Wight or a Talon. Or a Puma smuggled in from the Future.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Axe-man posted:

I was in a league with mw4 and you had to shoot the head twice to kill it, i got really good at it, the reason why it seems hard is the head is usually in a very specific place on the model you have to hit.

Well, it was possible to one shot mechs if you hit them in the head, but it generally required them to have lowered the head armor a bunch. Or to have an overwhelming firepower advantage. Dumping 6-8 ER Large Lasers and a pair of Clan Gauss into a Cougar's head is bad juju no matter how much armor they put there.

Usually in MW4, it was easier to just build a mech that could two shot them with Center Torso hits, which was fairly easy given a non-crap mech and even class weights (IE an assault vs an assault or a medium vs a medium). Then you just have to hope one of your shots doesn't knick the head by accident. :(

The stock leagues were more challenging and skill intensive, which is where your headshot sniping comes in handy. So many terrible stock loadouts...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Axe-man posted:

We called it One Shot Protection, and it gave you a reason to avoid trees and the like. We tested it fairly seriously too. :)

Was that mod-only? I know in vanilla MW4 you could one shot mechs with headshots with low armor, or Ctor hits on rare occasion. Maybe it depended on how it counted hits? Like if you fired an alpha strike that included missiles and ballistic/energy weapons, the B/E weapons are going to get there well ahead of the missiles. I'd call that a single "shot", but the game would probably see it as multiple hits.

I'm kind of curious if I ended up playing against you in anything. I didn't play variant modded leagues (though the one you were in sounded great), but I was head admin of the CZ league for awhile.

Tarquinn posted:

Well, you'll be delighted to hear that a gauss rifle, or ER PPC top the head will kill a mech in classic BT too. No matter if the the mech is light, or assault mech. 12 damage to the head and it's goodbye for that mech.

That's really the way it should be. The Mechwarrior games were always fairly generous in how many hits you could take directly to the head. I always just assumed it was to counterbalance the fact that most weapons in the Mechwarrior games are far more accurate than they actually are in BT.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TildeATH posted:

I think it'd be funny if everyone spoke in perfect drunken Scottish whenever they faced off against a Northwind Highlanders ace.

Fixed your post.

Also, I think I'd be slightly more worried about off-map artillery or orbital bombardment than aerospace assets. Most of the fighters available would go down to laser fire rather easily, wouldn't they?

Setting up a perfect trap to find out they've got a Cruiser in orbit or that you're up against a heavy lance AND offmap arty all of a sudden would be one hell of an "oh shi-" style moment for a future mission.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mukaikubo posted:

Eeehhhh, Kurita's got an 80 ton aerospace fighter model that could pretty badly wreck our force. Probably not here, though, unless this entire planet is a trap. :tinfoil:

Is that the one loaded up with like 4 Arrow IV launchers? That... might be unpleasant.

On the plus side, it tends to lose a wing and crash rather easily for it's size if they could get multiple mechs around so it couldn't fry them all in one pass.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dux Supremus posted:

If you think that's amazing, you should read about the greatest weapon ever. It's the only thing I've ever heard of that was cancelled for being "too provocative."

It was likely cancelled because it wasn't terribly practical in the real world. You're going to have to fly it over some allied (or at least neutral) territory to get it there, and even if you leave it circling the country while you wait, an unshielded nuclear reactor flying around at 100,000 feet is probably going to kill more people than the missile itself will when detonated.

Irradiating an entire country (and in the case of Russia, most of a continent)is just a bit of overkill.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dux Supremus posted:

1000ft operating altitude. They considered flying it over the open ocean in holding patterns. The missile itself doesn't blow up. Radiation from an unshielded reactor is bad, but not as bad as a nuclear bomb, no. The Europeans were a bit antsy about the whole thing. It's pretty clear you didn't actually read what it said, and I'm going to say it again: 1960s. They didn't give a gently caress about overkill or radiation. Dr. Strangelove is a dark comedy and not a farce for a reason.

If they truly didn't give a gently caress, nukes would have been used a lot more often. If they could have come up with a "clean" bomb with the same power, it's probably getting used more.

Part of MAD is the fact that if you go around throwing a ton of radiation into the atmosphere and loving up the whole world, the people who would normally stand by on the sidelines are going to intervene too, as well as retaliation from your enemies.

And you're right, I didn't read the link. Because I had read about the project previously. But you can be an arrogant dick if you want, I'm sure you're the resident expert on the mindset of the population of Earth in the 1960s.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, as fun as this derailment has been, I'm afraid I need to ask you to find an appropriate place for it; since the Great Houses in Battletech don't have enough nuclear weapons left to glass a single planet, much less the 800+ worlds that make up the Inner Sphere.

The Clans still have a few. Much to the chagrin of Clan Snow Raven. =P

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Hob_Gadling posted:

This is an interesting question and one I've thought about entirely too much.

When you consider warfare in 3025, the major problem is actually getting troops to fighting distance of each other. As in, on the same planet. You'll have to transport everything you need with you. I'd guess someone decided that maximizing firepower per available warrior was essential for operations to have any kind of hope.

On the other hand, once you've gotten troops to target system you have amazing strategic mobility. Way above what anyone in the history has ever had. Want to deploy your whole army on the other side of the world? Sure, no big deal. Takes an hour, less if you don't have to pick anyone up. Deployment can be done via drop pods, meaning you have 100-ton airborne rangers.

Most of the known universe is literal backwater with maybe one big city per planet. Often less, because why bother settling a planet that has nothing barring one unobtainium mine? You can be said to effectively control the planet when you control that one city, which means you don't need armies of millions to conquer a planet. A well-placed strike team of four will do just nicely. Most of the planets aren't even that loyal, because who cares what lord or other rules this week? You pay taxes like you always did and keep on living.

As intergalactic civilization began to crumble, the mechs became a status symbol. Sort of why tinpot dictators like to build an air force. Whether it was actually the effective route to take is up to debate. Once you dismantle most of the traditional army as either useless or potentially dangerous, you're left with what the Successor States have right now. Of course there is much potential for improving the armies, but that might bring fearsome social ideas forward. Can't have that.

Why no guided missiles? While Mechwarriors want to show their courage and valor, they're not stupid. They prefer muskets that are not too accurate, because they know their opponent will have the same sort of weapon. This must be the reason why they have all sorts of strange rituals, warrior codes and habits: they've essentially retreated back into tribal warfare where the point is not so much to kill your enemy as scare him off and show your personal bravery and prowess. Besides, the existing armament industries must love this setting. Perpetual low-intensity war with massive military industrial complexes.

I believe the fluff also mentions that it's a way of reducing the cost in manpower and materiel to the forces that are fighting. As you said, if all there is on the planet is one city and a mine, and nothing else of value, having millions of people die and taking the logistical network to move a huge army and armored divisions etc is more work than just having a couple of lances of mechs fight and just accept that whoever wins the mech battle wins the planet for now.

It also keeps war manageably cost effective, because you only have to replace a few mechs (usually you don't even lose the pilots in inter-house warfare) rather than a whole shitload of tanks or thousands of infantry.

[EDIT] Also, nice shooting! Way to hit the SRM bay. A good object lesson in why ammo explosions suck when they happen to you. And good to see PTN using the surviving tank to spot for missile fire. Was wondering how much that would come into play.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 24, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

An entire assault lance being held off by a single Hussar seems a bit... off. That had to be the worst piloted Assault Lance ever, or they just didn't have an objective.

If they were advancing towards some goal, they should have been able to form up with covering fire and just push through you to the goal. It's not like you'd be an overwhelming threat to them unless their entire goal was to kill you specifically.

In which case they're pretty stupid for not calling in some lighter mechs or aerospace assets to take you out. An entire Assault Lance chasing around a single light mech is a terrible waste of resources.

[EDIT] Not that I fault you for pulling it off even under those circumstances. I'm just saying, that's pretty absurd from a tactical and logistical standpoint for the OpFor.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tempest_56 posted:

That one's a bit of a longer story than that and I'm leaving out a number of details. The summary is 'everybody kill that god damned Hussar, it's spotting for a Long Tom that's shooting our dropship'.

But that doesn't sound nearly as cool.

It still doesn't really make sense to me. I mean, I can get how you would make yourself a target, but not why they wouldn't have anything at all better than an assault lance to go hussar hunting with. They probably deserved to have their dropship destroyed.

(Though I would have thought that if you were in spotting range, you were also in range of Naval class PPCs, gauss rifles, and missile launchers. Or that they could corral you away by fanning out with overlapping cover zones. It just rings of them being completely inept. :()

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I wasn't doubting the validity of your story, Tempest. Only the competence of the opposition.

I figured it was a situation where you making due with what you had, and I applaud you for your tactical acumen. But your opponents were still so retarded that it physically pains me to know they were real people. :saddowns:

Regarding the LP: I kinda hope it turns out to be a Tokugawa Heavy Tank or something. LBX-10 into the face of a light mech for the laughter factor.

Or that he's dug up an old Lynx out of nowhere and it's running around with a PPC, a large laser and 4 meds. That kind of firepower would pretty much be a match for the entire goon lance.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I would advise getting the hell out of dodge. the Dieron Regulars (if memory serves) are some of the better troops the Combine has to offer, being closest units to to Terra and fighting a lot of the FWL and Davion heavy troops.

On top of that, while the Combine are honorable people, they don't always hold mercs in high regard. I'd say that even if you got lucky and were winning the duel against the Dragon (which according to the turn PTN just posted has actually been upgraded back to a Grand Dragon), you can bet any of his lancemates that were left are going to be in position to focus fire you before you get the kill. Mercs do not have honor to wager in a duel.

Are our pilots allowed to be meta-gamey/use the fluff to help them and radio back to the dropship to see if they still have a lance on guard there? Outrunning the DC troops back to the drop point would be far worse (strategically) than fighting to the death where you stand if the drop location isn't prepared to defend. And once you start retreating, you'll have given up any small advantage you may have had against the DC lance. I'm kind of worried PTN is going to have ruled that your counter recon lance was hotdropped on the way down and that if you retreat there will be no additional assets deployed yet and we just all die. :(

So yeah, summary: Don't accept the duel unless you plan to backstab them first, radio back to arrange a welcoming party for the Combine troops if they follow, and organize a fighting withdraw from the area.

[Non-LP stuff] I've always been a fan of the Free Worlds League, and to some extent the Davions. They tend to employ overwhelming firepower to most of what they do, while at least holding the pretense of caring about the people. Compared to Katrina Steiner and The Mandarin the Cappellan leadership. (Though I can never picture the Cappellan Confederation leaders as being anything but The Mandarin. Am I the only one?)

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 25, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Axe-man posted:

I'm not sure, i'm actually torn between falling back to pressing our advantage, right now they are mostly split up and focusing fire on lights usually works as effective as it does for tanks.

Well you probably don't want to advance into them even with the current advantage you've got. The terrain in that area kind of sucks, and it looks like the Dragon should have clear field of fire into most of that area (because he's up on a high elevation hill, right?) Getting peppered with LRMs and letting the Dragon bring it's PPC into play while you muck around with the rest of the lance could lead to a lot of quick deaths.

If you want to take out the entire lance, maybe pull back near that hill north of our 3 mechs (to roughly 1508), feigning retreat, move the Jenner to 1007, and use him as the hammer against the rest of the lance's anvil. That should neutralize a lot of the advantages the Dragon would have in providing overwatch, and make him choose between coming down off that favorable terrain or watching you butcher the rest of his lance.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Even if they outrun you, what are they going to do? If you back up and start pulling away from the Dragon on the hill, you're still improving your odds and they're running INTO your guns. They don't have a great number of avenues of advance, and you guys could cover each other as you pull back. And then the Jenner is still there shooting them in the rear armor.

Any distance you can move away from that Dragon to pull it off it's sniper's perch will be an enormous advantage against both it's lancemates and when it comes to actually killing it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

One modification to Zaodai's plan - we should withdraw west. This reduces my chance of getting cut off from the rest of you, and also uses the forests to keep blocking the dragon for another few turns.

Well the reason I suggested north rather than west is that it's easier for the "anvil" group to keep their guns trained on the enemy light assets while still drawing them away from the Dragon (and with their backs to our Jenner).

I'm not against moving west, I just thought moving north to around that hill would be close enough to where you are that it doesn't reek of being a trap and yet far enough back you're not fighting their lance in rough terrain with the eyes of a (apparently highly skilled) Dragon looking down on you.

As long as you're not moving towards them though, the same general idea behind my suggestion should work fine.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think in the long term view you guys should refuse the duel and look like cowards (which you can exploit) vs accepting the duel and then gangbanging their company commander. You're going to draw a disproportionately large response on a strategic scale if you accept the duel and then functionally murder their commander through deceit.

Moving away from the Dragon should make it enough of a non-issue that you don't have to rely on using the Griffin to tie it up. Once the light assets are down, having pulled the Dragon out of position by making him move forward into less favorable terrain to try and continue his overwatch of the lighter mechs, then you can fully exploit your increased mobility and bring him down in a hail of gunfire from every direction.

Though it suddenly occurs to me if you refuse the duel, once you start killing his lancemates, he might just bolt which would forfeit the secondary objective. They're big on honor, but I dunno if they're stupid enough to have 1 heavy against 3 meds and a light.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Longinus00 posted:

The Kurita light mechs are at a +1 gunnery disadvantage and likely have a +1 piloting disadvantage. Coupled with the initiative problem you could probably just bum rush their jenner and end up winning. For a group of mercs in better mechs with better pilots and with initiative advantages you guys sure are acting like wusses.

You know a good way to lose your advantage? Suicide it away by assuming your advantage is so great you don't need to employ any sort of tactical plan.

Pulling back and drawing them into your guns (and avoiding more LRM and a PPC the Dragon has) is not so much cowardice as it is realizing that the terrain advantage the Combine troops currently have dwarf our alleged superior mech advantage. Especially when you factor in that Dragon being able to shoot at anybody that charges in to that little corridor.

Lightly armed and armoed as the light mechs facing us are, they're unlikely to go down anywhere nearly as easy as the J. Edgars.

I'm probably giving the Dragon too much credit as a threat, but it really shouldn't have a problem raping the ever-loving poo poo out of our lighter mechs, especially if they're already engaged with the Combine light assets.

[EDIT]

Longinus00 posted:

The average damage output of the kurita lance is so low vs. the average kell hound armor that the only thing you have to worry about this through armor criticals. Going to the sides of the map means being at a disadvantage terrain wise and initiative wise. (if you always remain in the same place then what's the benefit of going last?)

You'd get the benefit of making them come to you, and the big benefit of not having a Heavy sitting in a perfect sniper's perch taking pot shots at you while you fight their light mechs. And through armor criticals are just a roll away.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 25, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tarquinn posted:

Erm, does nobody else think that Kurita troops offering a honourable duel to mercenaries is a little bit weird?

I mentioned that a few pages back, and warned that they don't consider Mercs to be honorable and would have no problem backstabbing you during the duel.

Also, I wish PTN would keep his mech listing up to date then if he's going to keep changing the opposing mech and the loadout. It's hard to plan strategy when poo poo is changing every turn. In the most recent turn it's listed as a Grand Dragon, with a Dragon variant loadout for an entirely different variant.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Would it be possible to bluff them into an awkward position by pretending to go along with the duel? Either way, I don't suppose lying to their faces would hurt.

I'm less worried about one of the warriors surviving to come back pissed off and more worried about the entire force in the area becoming pissed off that you lied to them and then shot their commander in the back. At that point I think any sort of decency or battlefield honor they may have shown previously (which is exploitable) will be replaced with using everything they have to try and hunt you down and kill you like... well, dogs, fittingly.

Rather than getting a more Sorting Algorithm of Evil style mission progression, we're likely to just face a zerg rush of all their strongest trying to blow up our dropships, strand us on the planet and kill us as brutally as possible.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, in some of them the Combine is a bit more enlightened, modern Space Japan, and they get some good guy points because Victor Davion is boning the Coordinator's daughter. After saving her from a ninja.

Basically the Combine becomes House Davion's quirky ethnic sidekick, which is sort of pro-Combine.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I find it somewhat hard to believe you can get behind any idea, as you always seem to be irritated by the viewpoint of someone in a given situation.

I'm not saying you're wrong about how House Davion is portrayed (you're not), just that you seem to look on the negative side of any discussion you get into, which is kind of sad.

For what it's worth, ComStar and the ARDC also tend to get the Good Guy treatment, and the Free Worlds League generally doesn't get bad press, they just take care of business with workmanlike efficiency.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The FWL don't "mind their own business". They're very opportunistic, and they'll fight as hard as anyone. None of the houses would be "good guys" in the sense that they're pacifists or "for the people" style systems. They're not the Federation from Star Trek, building a civilization on the power of diplomatic tree hugging faggotry and magic infinite energy sources.

That said, the Great Houses also aren't the Imperium of Man where everything is poo poo and you do as you're told and then get your head ripped off by an alien for your trouble. The lives of the common man in the Inner Sphere were generally pretty good. You had a job, and plenty of food, TV, good place to sleep, etc. It wasn't toiling in the fields for 12 hours then going home to eat turnip gruel in your dirty hovel like feudalism in the dark ages. The average person in the IS was probably better off than the average person living in the US today, given the crappy economy and the like.

I also don't recall (off the top of my head) any of the Great Houses having a draft or required military service by the populace.

Regarding your other point, you're probably right. I don't specifically track down your posts or anything, so I don't have a large enough sample size to make a fair, unbiased judgement. I had just noticed it popping up in a few of the LPs I read lately.

[EDIT] And yeah, the Cappellans tend to get poo poo on from every direction. Fed Com kicked their asses, the FWL stole half their land, and they're evil Space China. Or more accurately, they're the Tongs in space. It's not like they're educated, innovating old school China. They're drug trafficking, thieving, scheming Chinese gangsters.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 25, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I agree with that, and I generally like the FWL because their leadership (in my opinion) tends to have a very "gently caress you, and the horse you rode in on. Except we already blew it up." attitude.

My point was more that any governmental system is going to end up loving people over to some extent, because they're run by people and that is what people do. The fact that in this case it's feudalism doesn't really have the people worse off than if they were getting equally hosed over by a diplomatically elected president.

So as far as a being a setting specifically set up for guys to kill each other with giant robots goes, the serfs don't really have it so bad, even in the crappiest locales. The citizenry in the "Bad guy" areas aren't that much worse off than the citizenry in the "good guy" areas. Except for the apparent Lyran conscription. Which isn't that surprising given that they are Nazis in Space, I guess.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, a lot of the reason the Confederation have crazy leaders is because they tend to constantly be recovering from a war and being seen as a second rate House.

They used to be strong-ish, but after so many wars (and it wasn't all the Davions stomping them, Marik got in on it too), they're left with a crazy inferiority complex. The Laios want to be seen as equals, but they're living in a trailer park rather than a mansion. So they figure they need crazy schemes to take back all their occupied worlds, and then they get stomped even more and it repeats.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Agent Interrobang posted:

Did he? I was pretty sure it was just the typical Davion motivation. "What, has it really been ten years since we stomped a mudhole into the Liaos? Let's do it again for old times sake."

They said his General Tso's Chicken would be there in 20 minutes, and it had been almost 30 when he declared war.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I care about House Marik. :saddowns:

They were supposed to be sort of an American/European/Indian hybrid. They're the multi-culture pals.

Arglebargle III posted:

And this doesn't sound like a condescending mid-20th century description of China? People still look down on the Chinese and act like it's silly that they want to be treated as an equal to the great Western powers, even as China roars back to world-power status. I guarantee you if the Capellan Confederation's backstory was rewritten today, based on common American views of China today as opposed to the mid 1980s, they would be portrayed as a far greater threat.
Also, who would the Cappellans be seen as a threat to? There is no "main" character set. And they wouldn't have been more of a threat than the Clans were. Hell, The Mandarin Sun-Tzu Liao was elected the first First Lord of the new Star League.

... at which point he abused his power to take back lost Cappellan worlds.

I think you're looking too far into the setting. They're all one dimensional, heavily stereotyped depictions of various groups, and they've all got their flaws.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Longinus00 posted:

I think what's annoying is that the capellans always (at least to my knowledge) seem to draw the short straws.

They don't "always" draw the short straw. If they had, they wouldn't have been a Great House to start with. They've just drawn the short straw more recently, so it appears that way. And like I said, they had the first First Lord, which is hardly a short straw.

Kenlon also made a good point, too.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Longinus00 posted:

I'd consider them drawing the short straw ever since they first formed. What benefit did becoming the first lord actually have for the Capellans?

It gave them control of a vast military organization that let them conquer hundreds of worlds with someone else's troops?

No, you're right, that's probably bad for the Confederation. Languishing in mediocrity would have been a much better option. =P

Though I imagine the reason they're going to do well in this LP is because they did get beat up so much in canon BT.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Longinus00 posted:

I've said earlier that I'm not a lore buff but the inner sphere maps don't really show the CC expanding all that much by the time the jihad happens. It looks like they just returned to post 4th war status quo.

These two maps show roughly what the Confederation gained between the time Sun-Tzu Liao became First Lord and after he got voted out.

Before

After

Sure, it doesn't make them as big as everybody else, but that was a lot of worlds they would otherwise not have.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Oh lord. So unless they surpass their high water mark for all of their recorded history, it doesn't count as being fortunate?

gently caress that. There's no way I can make any kind of rational argument under those asinine limitations.

I give up. Everybody hates the Capellans because their Mathletics team is totally badass and it makes them all look stupid so it's a big conspiracy to put them back in their place, building railroads. Which nobody use, because it's the era of interplanetary travel. But they need those Space Chinamen to be doing something constructive.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

quote:

I guess I'd consider them more fortunate if they actually won any land instead of losing less?

Their controlled territory grew in size. Therefore, they won land. You are aware that every faction gains and loses territory, right? They can't all be at their high point forever. It's an enormous logical fallacy to consider any ground they gain from their low point to not be any kind of progress because it is less than what they had a full century ago.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 26, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I recommend B & C continue moving NW, into the area around the northernmost part of that hill we're near, while D moves back south enough to get a rear shot at K2. (B & C should also fire at K2). Assuming K2 moves northward towards B & C, you should get some pretty good licks in on him this round. If he moves west instead trying to flank our Jenner, he gets a face full of Medium Lasers and SRMs and doesn't get any free shots on your back or sides.

[EDIT] If you hadn't accepted the duel, you'd have them right where you want them with the Griffin providing heavy fire support on the right flank, but c'est la vie.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Axe-man posted:

We can either do what i illustrated below, or instead go forward after the spider and hussar which can do less damage to us

Click here for the full 1139x1317 image.

If you go after the enemy Jenner, you don't want to send our Jenner around behind K2 and K1. The one round of side/back shots would still leave him out of position. If you just want him in flank position, I might move him to 0808 (the high point of the hill closest to you) or 0807 (if you want him slightly further back but on lower ground) and have him fire on K2 as it advances. K2 and K1 are almost certainly coming through that clear corridor (I'd think one of them actually ends up on the last hill tile by the river), giving our Jenner a nice clear shot while protecting the flank of our other assets.

And Knox, your objective right now should mostly be playing rope a dope with the Dragon. If you can get some shots off and not get shot yourself, that's a plus. But as long as he's chasing you around, he's honor bound to not be firing on the rest of your lance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

KnoxZone posted:

Son, the day I play 'rope a dope' with a Snake while rookies are doing all the killing is the day I leave the cockpit of my mech to join the infantry.

That day might be sooner than you think. Especially if all of a sudden your lancemates decide to leave you to the sanctity of the duel. Enjoy your walk back to the dropship.

Sir. =P

• Locked thread