Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I'd like to sign up as a mechwarrior, I played some Megamek and when my machines aren't shot in the head with a gauss rifle in the first shooting phase I even win (sometimes).

Also don't have PMs so how should I get my email to you, Poptartsninja?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I see on the list you still need my email so here it is: rookie1300 at gmail.com

Can't wait to get killed by someone who knows what they're doing.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

So it's basically fighting a bunch of wannabe samurai right?
Can you challenge their minimum range challenged Dragon to a duel with one of the close range murdermachines? Or atleast keep that card in the options if the Dragon looks it's becoming an issue?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

And keep in mind that the LRM hit that was scored isn't necessarily indicative of how well indirect LRMs are going to perform. In my (limited) experience, they're usually a lot less accurate. So don't expect that kind of hit each turn you're not dealing with that artillerymech.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Actually, worst-case scenario is that I'm lying about it being a light 'Mech.

Panic in 5, 4, 3...

It's a LAM isn't it?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Hell a LAM would be a GOOD thing, those things are under-gunned across the board since they waste weight on the conversion crap.

PTN designed custom LAM, probably named Brutus as proof that LAMs can be useful. :colbert:

If not now, atleast at one point in the LP.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

Pilot encounters large rock while harvesting, fails pilot check, falls over. Without that armor the fatality rate would be enormous.

There's a story about a group of farmers plagued by a bandit who got his hands on a battlemech banding together and put any guns they can onto a hundred year old agrimech.

It doesn't end the way you'd think. After getting you to root for those guys and their shitheapmech it just cuts to the bandit roasting some pigs over a fire and wondering when he'll get run out by a real fight instead of just a couple of famers with crappy equipment.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The problem I see with those mechs is that they all like kind of the same. They're all just bulgy humans and not mechanical enough. 'Mechs are supposed to be big and those could be 5 meters or 500 - you'd never be able to tell just from looking at them.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It's not even that rounded bots don't fit - they just don't fit everywhere. I like that round bots exist, but they're lostech and Star League era. While "modern" Mechs are boxy out of not having the technology or resources to make fancy looking mechs.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah what's up with that Blackjack hanging out like a kilometer south of its lance?

I know you didn't mean it literally but it might be interesting nonetheless: A hex is about 30 meters in diameter if I recall. And a Mech is always assumed to be dodging and weaving within those 30 meters, which is why it can't occupy the same hex as another mech.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

On the bright side the Rifleman was conceived of as an anti-aircraft Mech, so we may get to see if it's really made for the job.

I think that's more of a fluff thing - what with it having good AA weapons in arms which look very easy to rotate upwards. It also looks like it has a cockpit with a lot of upwards viewing room and that radar-looking thing on top. Tabletop wise I can't think of a reason it'd be a better AA mech than any other with similar weaponry.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

They are probably hot-dropping a few lances right on top of the now barely defended base the Caballeros just rolled out of.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Are NARCs reinvented at this point? Because the NARC mechanics are hilarious, with the whole "my missiles hit you automatically because they follow NARC! Now my missiles hit me because he counter-NARCed me!"

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Zaodai posted:

It'd probably be good as something of a light scout for extremely rough terrain. A jeep or humvee analog, as it were.

Isn't a ten ton mech just a protomech?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Volmarias posted:

At the risk of metagaming, that's too much of a being set up for failure scenario. I mean, if the choppers got there and dropped their bombs before the mechs can possibly reach them and shoot them down, what point is the scenario?

You don't automatically lose when the hostages die. It just means you go from save to bury.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

To add my two cents to the ballistic vs energy discussion, from Living Legends experience I feel like ballistics have several advantages the tabletop rules don't necessarily recreate.

That tiny advantage they have over energy weapons can mean your mech winning when you get the first shot. That's much more likely when you're actually in control of said shot instead of rolling dice.

Also, lasers really give away your position, hard. You might get nailed by an AC20 or AC10 and have no idea where it came from. But a group of beam lasers or pulse lasers is gonna be very obvious.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"Nice Clan Homeworld you have there - I challenged you to play Pong for it!"
"Because of my superior genes I will use a smaller paddle!:black101:"

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I like to think the Banshees bad rep has more to do with it being ugly as sin.

I mean look at that ugly goddamn machine. The Cyclops is badass without having to resort to a skull-head (come on, Atlas, you're so cliche) and the Woldhound is a sexy sexy beast.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Yeah you would have to put a bag over it's head.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

The Wolfhound is indeed sexy.
Case in Point - that's a Wolfhound.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

anakha posted:

I'm guessing the 6/9 heavy is a Linebacker.

And if that's the Prime configuration, drat, that's a lotta PPCs the heavy star is packing. :ohdear:

Didn't poptartsninja mention the clans didn't pack any PPCs? Or was it just a very small number of PPCs?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I just have to mention again how awesome the mech cockpits in Living Legends are. The cockpit shape actually makes a huge difference in how you can pilot something - no upper vision screws over your anti-air options for example.

And Vulture cockpits make for great missile boats, but horrible knife fighters.

It's something the official mechwarrior games were missing unfortunately - along with the 360 degree view strip (which was actually implemented in Terra Nova by Looking Glass a powered armor sim).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 2, 2011

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

It requires too much handwavium. It's past the point of disbelief.

For you. My disbelief is still firmly suspended.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

Wolfhound - You are pretty much hosed. He's bigger than you, better armed and you may or may not be able to outmaneuver him. Run to 1021. Laser the crap out of him and kick his drat head in. He's already called you a dishonorable dog, you might as well show it and brain him with your foot.

Call the clanner out on being a pussy taking on a tiny little scoutmech with his better giant clanmech. Demand he declare some proper conditions.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Yeah LAMs really don't fit the feel of Battletech at all. It's a setting that's all about ponderous, prone to break, can't dodge for poo poo and have tons of armor to compensate we-don't-know-how-to-build-basic-tech mechs. And then some can transform into loving aircraft? In the field without spending atleast 5 days with full crew of mechanics?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Veyrall posted:

It doesn't help that some of the mechs just look straight up goofy and no amount of artistic talent can fix them. Case in point, the Yeoman.

That Yeoman? That's actually just 2 LRM20's. Only you get to see how utterly silly the concept is. Where's the 5 reloads for those 2 LRM20s, Yeoman?

I wanna see the quad LRM20 Vulture variant drawn like the Yeoman.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I count 25 LRMs on each side. Isn't that 2 LRM 15s and 2 LRM 10s?

Yes I can't count, don't judge me. But really it's still quite a few LRMs short of one of the real heavy duty missile boats.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Hunchback. Big loving gun on the shoulder - that's pretty much the example of a signature weapon in my opinion. You can't have a hunchie without something big on that shoulder or stops being a Hunchback.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Xmas Future posted:

The Swayback is pretty sweet too. you get some neat variants when you pull a swap like that, like the Longbow with a battery of light AC/5s in each arm.

If it was some kind of rotary laser array or continous fuckoff beam then yeah it's still a hunchy.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Both Mechcommander 1 and 2 are freely available now. They went from several years of being up as ISO's at mechcommander.org with Microsoft being fully aware of it but neither condoning or C&D'ing, and then in Autumn last year apparently something changed and mainstream sites started hosting.

Here's Fileshack's page: http://www.shacknews.com/search?q=mechcommander

e: mechcommander 2 is fun right up to the point where you realise that enemies will target the first unit they see and never switch targets.

Mech Commander 2 actually had it's Source Code released and there's a giant restoration project.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Duncan Fisher is the man. Did he exist before the Mechwarrior PC games and has he been mentioned in any of the books since?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

So the clanner did sweep the leg. They really are the bad guys.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's simply there to get the guards to start paying attention to their surroundings rather than bullshitting playing Chess over their comms.

Is that an X-Wing book series reference? Because if so - awesome. And I can't wait to see light mechs tearing it up and hopefully the Urbanmechs getting their killing on.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Affi posted:

SO.. I just realized that blue poo poo in the middle of the map is a park? Way to think it was a blue residental area. Is the blue poo poo ice then?

PTN :argh:

The blue poo poo is stuff you're not allowed to damage. Which the statue is right in the middle of. So don't melee the statue or stuff you're supposed to protect is going to get collateralled.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

Different shade of blue though... The darker blue parallelograms are definitely the residential buildings that you guys are supposed to avoid damaging. The hexagon and triangle of lighter blue is probably snow on the ground in a park or something of that nature. We are on an ice planet, after all... Common sense, people!

I think what tripped me up is that the buildings don't correspond to the hexes 1:1 - which is the way it's presented in the BT manuals.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Are Battletech ICE engines some kind of magic Warhammer style "throw anything combustible in and it'll go" ICE engine that'd give people a reason to use them? Are they significantly cheaper than fusion cores at least?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

One ton of Autocannon/2 ammo is 45 shots. That's more than adequate to see it through any reasonable fight.

Is it just me or are L1 tech aircraft really wimpy, but once they get NARC capability they suddenly become monsters.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

an oddly awful oud posted:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/UrbanMech is the actual UrbanMech. It is dismally slow, and a heavy autocannon is a very inefficient weapon for a light 'mech. It is also extremely uncool looking, which doesn't help.

In a physics based weapon modelling system the Urbanmech would rock. Bounces and glancing hits all around with that sphere-ish design. But since BT only does hit or no hit, the poor Urbanmech is treated the same as a cube in terms of armor effectiveness.

Poor, poor Urbanmech.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

For those familiar with Warhammer 40k, Gyrojet weaponry is basically bolters with the one thing that makes sense as an upgrade over the real world version stripped back out - the initial firing of the round like a usual bullet to give it accuracy and eliminate the minimum range.

So a bolter, but if you put your hand in front of the barrel, you'll stop the bullet completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

You know what I imagine would make the Solaris section of that horrible horrible book awesome? Jeremiah Rose getting beaten repeatedly (verbally or in a mech) by Duncan Fisher.

What I'm saying is, we need more Duncan Fisher.

• Locked thread