Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Throwing my lot in with the Davion Heavy Guards. Who cares if you don't know what you're facing when you have lots and lots of giant war machines? What could possibly go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
All I really know about BattleTech comes from the old MechWarriors 2: Mercenaries game, but in light of that background, I have to ask: would it ever be possible to actually grab a Kodiak as the IS? If we have to duplicate its acquisition mission from that game and screw over the Combine while joyriding in the newly acquired death machine, I'd call it a bonus.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Axe-man posted:

I think the only way you are going to get that, is if you fly to the clan homeward and attack the ghost bears. Sorry buddy :(

I'm sorry, was that supposed to discourage me? :black101:

Caveat: No idea if the Kodiak is any good on the TT or not. It was pretty much the best (or at least biggest) mech available in the MW2:M campaign, and made an appropriate impression on me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Axe-man posted:

I mean that your looking mroe toward late game then early game. :ssj:

I was kinda joking. I only have vague memories of MW2:M for the most part, (such as raging at Dashers for running around at warp speed) and haven't got a clue what all will be available or how anything performs in the early game - and very few clues about the late game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mukaikubo posted:

Adds fun!

Look at it this way: those of us who know the fluff, thanks to PTN's alterations, are charging into the complete unknown blindly. You're doing the same thing, only with some mechanics too! We are all brothers in ignorance. :glomp:

As soon as my home computer is restored to working order, I am digging out MW2:M and seeing if I can get it to run. That and starting Star Trek Online during my final undergrad semester probably isn't the best idea, but ah well.

Although I never realized until looking at that BT wiki how goddamn ugly the Commando you start off in in MW2:M looks. >_>

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zaodai posted:

(But screw you all for not voting Davion Heavy Guards. Was I the only one that did?)

I voted for Davion Heavy Guards on the first page. >_>

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hmmm. Only mechs I recognize are the Jenner and Dragon. I have to wonder, though, if that unknown is a Hollander. A surprise like a gauss rifle in this engagement strikes me as very much up Poptarts' alley.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Longinus00 posted:

It won't be a hollander for the same reason a T90 wouldn't show up if this was a WW2 war game.

*Rechecks wiki page on Hollander*

*Notices setting date in source material at bottom of page*

*Rechecks first page of thread*

*Notices specified date*

*Has egg on face*

*Is sheepish*

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hmmmm. Looking over the wiki, the two possibilities I'm thinking about are a Commando or a Mongoose. Both look to be in service by this time and fit what PTN has specified (faster than a Panther, not a regular DC mech), and both look well-armed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tempest_56 posted:

Well, let's look at things. What do we know about the unknown? It's a light, it moves at least 5/8, this is Succession Wars tech and it isn't a typical Combine mech.

Possibilities? Locust, Wasp, Stinger, Spider, Ostscout, Mercury, Thorn, Valkyrie, Mongoose, Commando, Javelin, Hermes, Hussar, Firestarter.

So 14 potentials. Of those, I'd say only the Javelin, Firestarter, Hermes and Hussar are any real threat to us. Maybe the Commando. The rest are all either too lightly armed or armored to be a significant problem at this point.

I actually started writing up a list like that before I decided no one would care. >_> Well, here's a rundown:

The Javelin carries 2x SRM-6 if it's the basic model, or 4 med lasers if it's the first variant. Seems quite punchy for this weight.

Firestarter is 4 flamers, two med lasers, and two machine guns. I fail to see anything seriously threatening here.

Hermes is two medium lasers and a flamer, but ungodly fast. I don't see it as especially dangerous.

Hussar is also hellishly fast and has a large laser. I know little about tabletop BT, but wouldn't it have probably fired by now if it was this?

Commando is SRM-6, SRM-4, med laser, or other stuff. Large chance of carrying a large laser if it's a variant.

Thorn and Valkyrie carry LRMs in their basic models. Again, I would think it would have fired by now if it had LRMs.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 24, 2011

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mukaikubo posted:

... :smuggo:

So is this where I appoint myself Director of Intelligence for the thread? I figure I can't possibly do worse than some canon spies.

I wouldn't be surprised if PTN deliberately hadn't decided what the unknown was in order to let the thread come up with the answer for him: see what we're worried it might be, and make it so.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KnoxZone posted:

If we can't get a victory in the very first battle we might as well go home now :colbert:

We've already won, mind. Now it is a question of how much we'll win. Going maximum leeroy isn't a good idea even here, but fighting with a sensible game plan should work fine. Barring unforeseen hostility from the dice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Longinus00 posted:

The dragon doesn't have a ppc.

Oh, but it does. DRG-1G (the variant we're facing) has three medium lasers, an LRM-10, and a PPC.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mukaikubo posted:

Can't hurt, until one of these four mechwarriors ejects and survives the battle, and shows up a year down the road in an Atlas, pissed as hell.

I have a soft spot for minor villains that become major villains later because of PC actions. :shobon:

They're Draconis. If the Mechwarrior games I've played are any indication, the Draconis Combine are all bastards and you should never, ever feel bad about ruining their day.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Axe-man posted:

Never forget Kentares

Makes sense that Space Japan would commit Space Nanking. I was mainly thinking back to MW2: Mercenaries (my intro to BattleTech), where the second mini-campaign, after one where you help the DC suppress a popular rebellion, is helping some rebels free a world from Draconis occupation. When the Draconis realize they're losing, they start burning the planetary capital to the ground and raping every woman they can find among the civilians. That's the prelude before the rebels lend you a Stalker and send you into the capital.

Then there's the later mission in the game where the Draconis send you into Clan space to steal a Kodiak for study. I prefer to keep the Kodiak and wipe out the Draconis force in the final mission of that arc while joyriding in said death machine.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 25, 2011

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mukaikubo posted:

Sweet christ yes. In fact, I am going to lobby hard for Comstar to be our 3rd or so faction, or maybe even 2nd; after we get word of some advanced force kicking rear end on the periphery, Comguard saddles up to go deal with the situation all smug with their Star League equipment and they get utterly jobbed too. Especially if our beating is what prompts the First Circuit to start opening the warehouses in utter panic after seeing their best manhandled. :allears:

edit: You know, maybe it would be better for us to get spanked with completely straight 3025 tech first. I have to think about this.

You just know that our first experience with the Clans is going to be getting hosed up by a Mad Cat. Or possibly those which should not be named.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 26, 2011

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Agent Interrobang posted:

Uh, no offense, Cythereal, but we've all been trying very hard not to mention THOSE. Mad Cats are common knowledge even to greenhorns, but not THOSE.

Please do not spoil THOSE.

Edited my post accordingly. Radio silence about those... things... is in force.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Agent Interrobang posted:

Thank you very much. It's merely that I want to see newbie player reactions to them. Mostly of the 'HOLY GOD WHAT THE gently caress JUST KILLED ME?! :gonk:' variety.

I agree, now that I think about it. >_> They were in MW2: Mercs, too. Lovely little surprise in a mission on a swamp world during the Clan Invasion - you can't see anything below roughly your mech's knees due to fog, and that's the mission where they first appear, IIRC...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zeroisanumber posted:

That was pretty awesome. Destroyed Shin's mech, lost an arm in the process, fell 200 feet, then took a sword cut to the throat and six shots to the head with a heavy pistol. And even then Shin wasn't sure that he'd killed it.

Calling something an anklebiter doesn't seem like much of a nickname. Until you remember that the ankles in question belong to mechs.

What book was this? I may have to give it a look.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tempest_56 posted:

Mechs don't have turrets. Even if it looks like one, mechanically they do not. He can still torso-twist, but no mech has a turret without going into really unusual and obscure optional rules.

That explains the lack of quadrupedal mechs, then.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tempest_56 posted:

There actually are quad mechs, but they're rare. Quads have some advantages (a bonus to piloting rolls and the ability to side-step), but are pretty uncommon and have their own disadvantages (four legs, reduced crit space, looking silly).

Yeah, I know quad mechs are rare. I meant that lacking turrets is a good reason why there aren't many - turrets would be a distinct advantage for quad mechs over most bipeds.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mukaikubo posted:

Didn't she straight up steal Victor's genetic material and combine it with her own to make a trueborn Wolf Clan warrior to be her 'vengeance' on the Inner Sphere for beating her rear end down with a stick? That was pretty impressively goofball.

I think I liked this thread and setting better when it was about giant robots shooting each other. >_>

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

How many times have you personally been in deadly combat? Before civilization the answer would probably be at least once. Now a vanishingly small percentage of people would answer more than zero. The incidence of organized violence has been declining steadily since the agricultural revolution. By any statistical measurement modern civilization is more peaceful and bloodless than any previous state of human existence.

Cynics like to talk up the evils of civilization, but when you look beneath the "noble savage" myth you find people who spent an awful lot of time in low-level warfare. That doesn't happen any more. How many wars have been fought on the North American continent since 1776? Four? Five? There were many, many more before then.

Anyway, the point is that it's entirely possible to set up a society that doesn't fight itself constantly. It might not be possible to set up a society that eschews armed conflict entirely, but that's not the point. The Clans fight every year, every season. They barely have any of the inter-state mechanisms that we would use to peacefully resolve conflicts. Modern states, on the other hand, fight a spasmodic, draining, violent war on the average of somewhere around once a century, and even then a small percentage of their total populations actually engages in combat.

The SLDF Exodus was a mission of peace, but Nicholas Kerensky perverted it into the Clans and their institutions designed to perpetuate war forever.

Or you could remember that BattleTech is all about giant robots blowing each other to bits and get on with the game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Axe-man posted:

Liao is interesting enemy, I am changing my support: Death Commandos

those crazy mofos are hilarious and with the government bieng an insane dictorship it is all good

I'm sold. Death Commandos for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KnoxZone posted:

Exactly. That is why you should vote for the Death Commandos. Executing unarmed prisoners and civilians is the way to go this round. Leave the honor on the FS/Combine border :colbert:

Interesting. The goon hivemind is unsure whether it wants to be a Chinese death squad or band of wacky Texican desperados. Don't see that choice too often.

quote:

Yeah but is PTN gonna have us doing any of that stuff? I don't think there's rules for any of that in 'vanilla' BT, which is basically what he's using (so far, at least).

It's PTN. I wouldn't bat an eyelash if the objective was to kill a high-ranking officer about to be married, replace him with an infiltrator, then crash the wedding with an assault lance while banging the bride on the altar all so we can assassinate a local priest who vaguely offended someone's cousin's former roomate's girlfriend because that someone is our boss.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 2, 2011

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KnoxZone posted:

With the vote this tight for two factions who will oppose each other, we should totally skip having OpFor and play as both sides against each other. Goons on the list who voted for the Commandos can play as them, and vice versa. Would be a drat interesting battle.

I'm down with this, though coordinating it round-by-round might be a pain.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Polaron posted:

Ugh. Why does everyone want to play Death Commandos, they're giant assholes.

We were just kinda-sorta-if-you-squint good guys. Let's be bad guys.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, let's see what kind of mechs the good guys have from PTN's post (going by Sarna, so I don't know movement, armor, etc)...

Tempest_56: RFL-3N Rifleman
2x Large Laser
2x Autocannon/5
2x Medium Lasers

Polaron: HBK-4G Hunchback
1x Autocannon/20
2x Medium Lasers
1x Small Laser

Mahoshonen: LNC25-01 Lancelot
1x PPC
2x Large Lasers
1x Medium Laser

Red_Mage: CPLT-C1 Catapult
2x LRM-15s
4x Medium Lasers

Bobbin Threadbare: WVR-6M Wolverine
1x Large Laser
1x SRM-6
2x Medium Lasers

A fast heavy recon mech, two fire support mechs, and two just plain fire mechs. I wonder what the Commandos have brought to the party...

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 3, 2011

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Merry Marauder posted:

The Wolverine is actually one of the (better) variants with a LLAS instead of the AC/5.

Doh. Fixed.

@Hunchbacks: if I remember my MechWarrior right, don't Hunchbacks have tinfoil for armor?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tempest_56 posted:

The HBK-4G packs 160 points of armor, out of a maximum possible of 169 for it's weight. So... no.

I stand corrected.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Axe-man posted:

Or the clans.

Or the Combine and some mercenaries we could mention.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AtlantisMantis posted:

I like the sudden moral drop PTN has crafted. So much excitement at the introduction of our lance, then suddenly PPCs everywhere and the threat of an unknown vehicle(s). Stay strong, mighty Caballeros! Let them taste crazy :ese: death today!

I think this will be the typical procession of events for each mission:

PTN: Here's the setup.

Thread: :black101:

PTN: Here's your forces.

Thread: :swoon:

PTN: Here's the bad guys.

Thread: :ohdear:

PTN: Here's an innocuous comment about things to come.

Thread: :gibs:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Vehicle images! Also, remember that that APC has 6 machine guns, not 2. Should go up like the Fourth of July with all that ammo...

Zhukov Heavy Tank

Goblin Medium Tank

SRM Carrier

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Affi posted:

who would win a tyranid genestealer or jaime wolf in an atlas?

what im trying to say is lets just drop the wwII/wh40k discussion please.

Seconding this. I'm a fan of WH40k, too, but can we at least try to keep thread derails in BattleTech territory?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tempest_56 posted:

Because the only interesting thing the FWL has ever done is build the Word of Blake's army and collapse. Even their civil wars haven't been that interesting.

I'd call that the fault of the writers, not the FWL. Near as I can tell (not a big BattleTech guy myself), the writers have never put much effort into exploring the FWL or giving them something interesting to do/deal with. Granted, I get that the BattleTech universe is big enough that someone is going to get neglected in favor of "more interesting" factions, but I'd lay it at the feet of the writers that the FWL never got interesting to begin with.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finally got caught up on this thread after a week, and honestly, I think I've noticed a couple of problems with the scenarios:

These last two battles in particular were probably tough but winnable for a reasonably experienced and coordinated group of players. Okay, so the Elementals were a proper :wtc: experience, as they should have been, but I think everyone's realized by now that there will *always* be a nasty surprise or two. It's all good, and I think PTN has done an outstanding job of basically being the DM for a PbP BattleTech game.

The problem with this is that the players are goons. Some are experienced, many are not. There is some tactical advice from the peanut gallery, but the closest thing the players have had to tactical coordination has been the "Shoot the Gaussback!" chanting. Trying to coordinate the goons in this format, where it's not an explicit "if you want to play, be in this IRC channel at this specific time to talk tactics so we can get our poo poo together" seems to be a lost cause.

True, this has lead to amusing moments like the "Can't sleep, <REDACTED> will eat me." - "C'mon, how bad could it be?" - "Oh God, MY FACE!" banter, but I think we're running up against the practical limit of what the goon pick-up group can handle, if we haven't passed it already.

I respectfully suggest that either a dedicated effort is made to coordinate the goonlance better, or PTN ease off the difficulty a bit. Watching goons go like lambs to the slaughter can be entertaining, but I think everyone will enjoy it more if it's not quite as merciless.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DatonKallandor posted:

You do realize that the goon side is poised to actually WIN this scenario right?

Uh, no. The impression I had is that the goonlance was on the ropes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In response to the folks pointing out that the goonlance is currently doing well: point taken, but I'm disappointed. I'm kinda rooting for the Clans in this LP, honestly. Yes, they're more than a little nutty, but I think the nutty-but-functional Clans are preferable to the relatively-sane-but-highly-dysfunctional Inner Sphere for the most part. Oh, sure, they're probably just as hosed as they were in the canon timeline when they invaded, but who doesn't like a good underdog?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zaodai posted:

You should all be rooting for the Death Commandos. Many factions talk about the need to reduce the surplus population, but the Death Commandos are the only ones doing something about the problem at it's source. :china:

I have the Smoke Jaguars on line two, they say they have a proposal for you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Merry Marauder posted:

So, uh, you think the Clans are the underdogs?

Tactically? No. Strategically? Oh yes. Winning individual battles is a far, far cry from winning the war.

• Locked thread