Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Merry Marauder posted:

Well, the only thing stopping the Clans from dropping on Tharkad/Luthien/loving Sian for that matter and cutting the head off the feudal dragon is their self-imposed system of rules, so I find it difficult to impute any kind of underdog charisma to them.

The Clans and Inner Sphere are both royally hosed up, just in different ways. I find the Clans more interesting than the Inner Sphere, and wish more had been done with the culture shock aspect of both sides being abruptly introduced to a completely, utterly different way of life and way of thinking. Everyone in this thread knows the Clan invasion in the canon timeline was a lost cause from the very beginning, and I'm hoping they'll be able to pull it off this time, or at least do more than "Whoops, IS caught on to how we roll, we'll go line up for the curb stomp now."

Yes, the WW2 Pacific Theatre analogy is pretty accurate, and it's true that the war was lost the moment it began. Doesn't change the fact that I think a lot more thought went into the Clans and how they work than the Inner Sphere, and that they make for a more interesting group to read about and follow than the Inner Sphere circle jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fair enough. I can't look past my initial "Space Mongols with goofy dueling code and totally nebulous economy/logistics" impression, but that's just my grognardian curmudgeonliness talking, etc etc

I like the Clans. Presupposing a society that has giant battle robots and won't get rid of them because they're awesome, the Clans strike me as a pretty good way to keep said giant battle robots around and use them regularly with a minimum of disruption to civilian society. I find the economy and logistics of the Inner Sphere only marginally less nebulous, given how everything keeps getting retconned/handwaved/undergoing massive changes in improbably small time spans.

My doomed wish for the BattleTech setting is rebooting it and trying to re-establish things from the ground up to be, if not rational and sensible, then at least consistent. Heck, include the LAMs if you want, but, say, make them a specialty of Clan Snow Raven. Or even go whole hog and include actual rules to differentiate different nations/merc bands/Clans. Say, minimum tonnage requirements for Steiners or giving Star Adders easier access to experimental technology/designs/custom configurations or Highlanders getting something to reflect their laser comms and jamming of radio communications with bagpipes.

Comedy option: A major IS power, like House Marik, allies with the Clans. Yes, during the invasion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

landcollector posted:

The better option would be House Steiner. Remember, Clan Steel Viper does have Caesar Steiner in their custody.

Meh. House Marik needs to do *something* interesting. Why not ring up the Clans and go "Hey, I can generally keep *this* band of treacherous, scheming, short-sighted fuckups in line. You'll need someone like me if you really intend to make a new Star League..."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And someone wondered why I consider the Clans the underdogs in the whole invasion. Even in this timeline, the invasion is all but guaranteed to fall into the "glorious, but doomed" category. Still, here's hoping they can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another comedy option: so long as PTN is doing non-canon IIC mechs, how about a Crab IIC? Sarna says it's a Star League design - the classic Crab, that is.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 14, 2011

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Boner Slam posted:

3. Clan novels are really terrible. The protagonist is always the same character with a soft touch, not really comfortable with the total disregard for life that clanners should have, while the antagonist the "the typical clanner".
This leads to rather schizophrenic situations in which a dude literally kills hundreds of people by venting a hangar and the next day does something retarded like run after an ejected enemy so he doesn't land in the crossfire or some bullshit because he can't bear the death of an innocent opponent in a loving warzone. Or he does some noble act to save civilians which a trueborn would just never do.
Yes I am currently reading the Ghostbear novels and yes they are terrible terrible terrible.

To be fair, I think this is because most non-protagonist Clanners tend to be Smoke Jaguar-grade assholes and BattleTech seems to *try* to keep its protagonists relatable. And it might just depend on the Clan, with some like the Jade Falcons being bastards, others not so much.

BattleTech isn't *quite* as based on black-and-very-dark-grey morality as, say, Warhammer 40k. Although as you pointed out and others have in the past, I think we have a distorted view of most factions, especially the Clans, because for most people non-military stuff in these settings (and non-political stuff for BattleTech, I guess) is irrelevant and boring.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Clantech salvage makes everyone but the Clans happy.

So please don't do something silly like accepting their offer and claiming the ponymech and hunchie as salvage.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AtomikKrab posted:

W.T. Fits, you are forgetting the political implications of letting them leave.

While the clanners will know that comstar does not adhere to strict zell, they will at least be honorable in other ways. But gently caress that dropship, the dropship was assholes.

If I were the Clans, looking at these two engagements, I think I would call ComStar pragmatic more than anything else, adhering to zell when practical but willing to break it when tactically opportune - say, when a Gaussback (a glass cannon mech) starts wrecking things, or when desperate, such as the dropship. More honorable than mere bandits, but don't turn your back on them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LeschNyhan posted:

Take the money and run. You're way behind enemy lines sitting on top of your strategic objective -- which you've been ordered to take and use, before being withdrawn. It is being offered to you by a Clanner who may not understand the strategic implications of this objective raid. The Clans culturally are inculcated to fight over most things as Trials of Possession, so a smash-and-grab for something of incalculable strategic value may not have occurred to them as the reason for this. They think they can come back with another force and take it later, which is fine, because ComStar doesn't care and has something else in mind.

This. I do not think you want to push your luck - you have what you came for, and total victory is anything but certain if you push it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zaodai posted:

Hegira is an actual word (albeit rarely used) that means to escape from a dangerous situation.

When I tried to confirm remembering that, google also suggests that it has something to do with Muhammed leaving Mecca.

Sorry, all I can think of when I hear that word is that Strahna Mechty is better known as Kharak and Kiith Clan Snow Raven has a huge MotherShip following the Clan advance as they make their way home.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Needless to say, I have plans for (mostly) all contingencies. I'll probably be closing the vote here pretty soon-ish so I can tally votes and start writing.

If there's anything I've learned in my time as a DnD DM, it's that keeping the players unable to tell the difference between genuine planned contingencies and winging it is actually pretty easy. So long as things stay awesome and/or interesting, which I have no doubt you'll keep up with ease, most folks won't think to question whether you actually thought ahead or are making it up as you all go along.

Let's face it: this really is a BattleTech PbP game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
D, for the mystery box.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

landcollector posted:

Do not think so highly of yourself, bondsman.

Not all who would ally with the Clans are bondsmen. If I must choose between fuckups who sound the death knell of millions for the sake of petty politics and pride and fuckups who sound their own death knells, individually or in small groups, for the sake of perceived honor, I will choose the latter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Defiance Industries posted:

Clanners are... probably even worse, based on the events of the Wars of Reaving.

What Wars of Reaving? I could have sworn the setting entered stasis and was left to die in dignity around the time something called the Word of Blake started to be talked up...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Oh come now. Genocidal Homeworld Clans! The guys back in the Kerensky Cluster finally have something to do. And also the proud warrior race gets their shiny shoes scuffed, which is fine by me.

I have Warhammer 40k for when I want neverending war and chaos and bastardry, thanks. I never found BattleTech interesting as a war-focused setting, and I think something along the lines of a Reformation in space or the French Revolution or the rise of nationalism or the rise of America/Germany/Italy from the scattered micro-states of the Periphery to pose a viable challenge to the Inner Sphere or something else along those lines would have been far more interesting than the silliness that actually happened in the timeline.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I actually agree with a bit of this sentiment, though not for reasons you might think. And namedropping 40K is a bit tasteless and not well-warranted.

*shrug* I'm a fan of both settings (within reason for BattleTech), and it felt like a reasonable comparison.

"T.G. Xarbala posted:

*snip*

I agree with some of your rationale, but not all.

WH40k is, in my opinion, a reasonable use of a static setting because there is so much going on within it. It very effectively makes use of an entire galaxy by making it so big that lots and lots of stories, even apparently significant ones like the Sabbat Worlds Crusade of Gaunt's Ghosts and connected stories, are only a drop in the bucket. The setting as a whole doesn't need to move on because there's no need to. The setting's tagline is unending war, and the fanbase (including me) likes it as such.

BattleTech is a different story. It's a much smaller setting: there are four big Inner Sphere powers, plus ComStar and the Clans. None have much depth. Individual planets and regiments within a power have a little variation, but not much. Most of the Clans aren't very distinct, either. They can all be represented using roughly the same rules, just using partially different units from each other. Okay, ComStar has LosTech. But other than that, they fight like any other Mech force would with any given force beyond having different objectives.

BattleTech blew its chance to add depth to the setting by seriously distinguishing its factions, I think. What if Steiner, Marik, Liao, Kurita, and Davion lances had to act differently, be deployed differently, and have completely different mechs, weapons, and tactics with little to no overlap? What if a given Clan's force had to include at least one totem mech, determined by individual Clan or other restrictions/modifications? Digging into narrative rather than gameplay examples: what if a sourcebook on the Clans revealed that the Warrior caste may be the caste the Inner Sphere sees all the time and hogs all the glory, but back home actually has a minimal role and the Clan homeworlds are really run by other castes who shake their heads and sigh at the warriors? What if the Free Worlds League actually was democratic and Marik was just a figurehead or even uninvolved? What if the Rasalhague Republic or Ghost Bear Dominion stayed in power? Heck, what if the Clan Romanticists were instead right, and the Clans were in fact a better place to live on average than the Inner Sphere?

But BattleTech sacrificed depth that way, and decided to go with a progressing timeline instead. Fair enough, but the problem is that the depth didn't stay. Everything eventually went back to the status quo, followed by the reset button of the Dark Ages. Then the Wars of Reaving pop up to explain why the Clans were completely ignored during all of this, instead of actually portraying what was happening on the Periphery, in Clan space, and everywhere else as the setting evolved. Again, not bad in and of itself, but in view of the setting's evolution it strikes me as shoehorning in "Oops, we completely forgot about these guys, so what can we come up with to retroactively explain why they weren't around..." Yes, 40k has some similar things, dropping a Hive-Fleet and a Space Marine chapter, among other things, on races/factions that the developers wanted to get rid of, but it comes across as far less "Uh, whoops" than the Wars of Reaving.

Now to be fair, BattleTech is not as big a game as 40k and is not as broadly developed, nor is it like 40k didn't have its dork ages as well. But I do think BattleTech, although having some great ideas and concepts to play around with, used them poorly.

Tl;dr: :words:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

From the looks of it we're both approaching similar ends from different angles. I'm pretty sure everyone here looks at Battletech and thinks "what could have been."

For me, there's also an element of coming into this with a degree in history and seeing "16th (or thereabout) century Europe with giant robots? Sign me up!", then learning more about the setting and facepalming. I'd have been down for the Clans turning into an analogue of the Crusades (mix and match which BattleTech group is which historical group at your discretion), seeing a ComStar version of the Reformation and attendant Protestant schism, the Holy Roman Empire Free Worlds League fragmenting, etc. Hell, the Word of Blake could have come in as the knee-jerk reaction to a ComStar Reformation, followed by a leader of at least a few of the hidden worlds pulling a Henry VIII.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 22, 2011

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

:catstare:
All this stuff happened

Did it? Eh. Oh well.

Short version: start with the Star League as the Roman Empire and work everything out from there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

*people gently caress things up*

Well... it's true to BattleTech's premise that people in charge do dumb things and everyone pays the price when they do, I suppose.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I played BT for a while when I was younger, but after I quit I remember someone saying something about FASA releasing rules for super-heavy mechs. I think that they went up to 200 tons or some game-breakingly absurd number.

There's always the infamous Ares, AKA that retarded tripod mech.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jng2058 posted:

You know, looking at the Jihad stuff and especially the Dark Ages stuff, I can't help but wonder if it isn't time to do a Gundam style reboot on the Battletech universe. Keep the 'mechs and some of the basic structures and start over from scratch otherwise.

It just seems like after 30 something years, the Battletech is too bogged down to be anything than a tiny niche game, and I think the setting deserves better.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Start over, actually give some depth and definition to everyone, including the FWL, probably keep the Clan invasion at some point later on, etc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Anyways, I have some bad news, thread. I was let go from my job today; quite unexpectedly. I'll spare you the details, but that does mean I need to devote a lot of energy to finding a new job.

I know you understand, and it's my hope that this will cause minimal disruption to the thread. I just wanted to keep everyone in the loop.

Don't worry about this thread. Focus on real life, and I wish you the best of luck.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Light Clan mechs, you say? Hmmm... oh God. There's an UrbanMech IIC.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

If there was, I assure you it would be packing a Gauss Rifle. Or perhaps a Gauss Mace...

Joking aside, even with Sarna I can't tell what Clan lights are in production by this time. Only Clan lights I'm familiar with from the MechWarrior games are the Fire Moth, Kit Fox, and Jenner IIC.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arquinsiel posted:

Lights get used pretty regularly really. There are far more than you'd think, but few are particularly memorable.

Fire Moths in MechWarrior 2. So. Much. Hate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So what's the loadout on the Jackrabbit IIC?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As romanticized as the Clans can be, ninjas are romanticized far more often and to a far more extreme degree. Leave none alive, heirs of Kerensky.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dolash posted:

Any immediate tips about playing a Piranha? I've followed this thread closely, but I've still never actually played Battletech.

You have twelve .50 cal machine guns mounted on a giant robot. Any questions?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Can't speak for the Jackrabbit, but assuming all Prime configs, here's the firepower loadouts for the canon mechs we've got:

Kit Fox

LB-X Autocannon/5
ER Large Laser
Small Pulse Laser
Streak SRM-4

Jenner IIC

Streak SRM-4
2x SRM-6

Piranha

12x Machine Gun
2x ER Medium Laser
ER Small Laser

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Mystery box detected: a strange magnetic anomaly. A lance-equivalent of Demolishers would not surprise me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I probably won't ever field one, to be honest. It's kinda a "here there be monsters" design, and intentionally so.

Might just be me, but when I think of really nasty Clan heavies, my go-to Clan big one is the Warhawk. I think I owe more game-overs in MechWarrior 2 to Warhawks than any other mech.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As far as tanks go, I'm partial to the Demolisher. 80 tons of two Autocannon/20s, ammo, and armor for two million C-bills. Simple and effective.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

an oddly awful oud posted:

That's only half true; some Clan assaults have both ES internals and FF armor, but a Standard engine instead of an XL. It's mostly on second-liners like the Marauder IIC and Warhammer IIC, but the Kingfisher omni also has that layout.

But all three? Nope, nowhere to be found.

Unless Sarna is lying to me, all three can in fact be found on one mech: the Stormcrow.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

"assaults"

Ah. Thought he was talking about Clan mechs in general at that point. My mistake.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Octatonic posted:

This was a pretty good turn for the goonlance!

It is called the goonstar, freebirth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gimmick Account posted:

Nice turn, but what happened to zell? You focused fire on the very first combat turn and challenged no one. Did something special happen behind the scenes or are you just ignoring clan rules completely? :(

Zell doesn't apply to bandits and other scum, as I recall. Like stupid space ninja-wannabes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

landcollector posted:

[roleplaying time!]
I stand by Mukaikubo and call for a Trial of Refusal against your call for a Trial of Annihilation. With what forces do you bid?

gently caress that. I call for a Trial of Annihilation against KnoxZone for so insulting one of the most esteemed heirs of Kerensky in this thread.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Affi posted:

Based on Far Country, what else could the opposing team have to work with?

Bear in mind that a magnetic anomaly was reported in the intro post to this fight. I have a feeling that at least one of our standard-issue surprises will stem from that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MJ12 posted:

No. The only way to blindfire-kill targets is artillery or other area of effect weaponry which the Clans tend to lack.

The Hell's Horses have artillery - I think we were supposed to face Clan artillery on the second Comstar mission until the goonlance shot down the laser designator helo before the artillery could fire.

The goonstar, however, is a Diamond Shark unit, so most likely no artillery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Clangoon is Infected. The DCMS pilots are listed as Delusional... Anyone else getting H. P. Lovecraft vibes? There are things man was not meant to see...

• Locked thread