Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alchenar posted:

This is what we see in reality though.

To be fair to Star Trek, most of the Federation races whose backstories have been revealed are known to have united after devastating global conflicts - the Eugenics War and WW3 for the humans, the wars that lead to the Vulcan/Romulan split for the Vulcans, the Cardassian Occupation for the Bajorans (and if you've watched DS9, you know that while the Bajorans are united on paper, the reality is a tad bit more complex), etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
C sounds good to me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Despite my Clan sympathies, upon my realization that the Clans in this timeline seem to be mostly assholes, I'll go with A.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mukaikubo posted:

Voting A because the Combine needs all the help it can get, now. :smith:

The Combine getting its poo poo kicked in by the Clans is a bad thing why? Space Imperial Japan deserves Space Mongol Hordes if you ask me. Unless the Clans get wrecked by Space Typhoon on the way and Kurita names a class of suicide bombers after the event.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Or pretty much everyone in the Free Worlds League.

Also, will the Davions be able to cope with their rowdy vassal march lords? Will Skye's constant rebellions manage to wreck the Lyran Commonwealth's economy? Will the periphery states be able to research anything successfully?

Comedy option: get to play as the Clans, and determine who gets dibs on the invasion. Clans Diamond Shark, Snow Raven, Goliath Scorpion, and Blood Spirit getting the invasion corridors, anyone?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

My question is, who do you want to direct this picture?
1: Steven Spielberg.
2: George Lucas.
3: James Cameron.
4: Michael Bay.

Michael Bay. BattleTech is cheesy and demands many, many explosions. Preferably with plenty of giant robots armed to the teeth. Melodrama an optional but inevitable extra. Sounds like his kind of movie.

You just know a James Cameron BattleTech movie would be visually stunning but involve the bird aliens as a bunch of technologically backward but oh-so-retarded magical space Native Americans who are ever so much better than the brutal, ignorant, humanity.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Octatonic posted:

Jeez, does no one remember the man's earlier work? Clearly it'd take place after the shelling of Turtle Bay, with an old combine woman returning to the city after many years. The whole story takes place in flashback, and is about the romance between her and a lower-caste laborer. In the end, she barely makes it out while the lasers fall on Edo. Giant stompy robots never appear, except to emphasize the extent of the destruction.

There's also a scene with a bunch of Yakuza being hunted by unstoppable, swarming, Austrian-accented elementals in a cave system slash abandoned factory.

Sorry. I'm here for the giant robots and attendant explosions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Give the man some credit.

All we have to do is tell him that the technologically superior giant stompy robots are the bad guys and the technologically inferior giant stompy robots are the good guys only fighting to defend their homelands from a sudden, unwarranted invasion of conquest, and suddenly we'd be up to our freaking eyeballs in explosions and giant stompy robots.

A brief history of BattleTech: for a long time, a bunch of assholes fought each other. Then some other assholes with a case of high-functioning strategic autism arrived and fought the existing bunch of assholes. They lost, so it was back to assholes fighting assholes with steadily bigger guns.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KnoxZone posted:

Mechs that look like Dire Wolves, but are faster?

It is a Warhawk.

He already said we'll be seeing a Wolf Spider...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Monitor rundown:

AC/20 x2
SRM-2 x3

ICE

It's a slow, seagoing Demolisher. The goonlance should know how to use dual AC/20s by now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Can you imagine the rage? Particularly given that 'running away' is deemed 'unfair' I can only imagine the response to one infantry dude hiding in a bush calling the hammer down.

"I bid a trinary, all of Firemoth D mechs."

"Accepted. Specific orders?"

"Zell is off. Kill the fuckers dead."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think I'll go with the Nova as my favorite mech. Simple, effective, and flexible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ultimately, Siedman has only earned his position and age by a simple maxim: firepower carries the day. A weapon's worth is measured by its reach and power, and Siedman will bring every weapon he has to bear on the Inner Sphere. Conquest is not the objective of the Clans, and especially not Clan Hell's Horses. Only destruction. And Clan Hell's Horses brings with it the legacy of a mech designed by General Kerensky himself: a Devastator IIC. The original brought a devastating one-two-three punch of gauss rifles, PPCs, and medium lasers. The Clans, and Siedman, have improved the design further. Only death awaits those foolish enough to stand in Siedman's way.

Or if it has to be an assault Omni that canonically exists, then Siedman has, by dint of sheer skill, earned the right to pilot a Warhawk.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 2, 2011

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Neither of these are Omnimechs.

There is no Devastator IIC - according to Sarna, the Devastator was a mech designed by Kerensky that fought in the Battle for Terra, but apparently the Clans forgot about the design because when the Devastator finally appeared, it was in Federated Whatever hands. The suggestion was that a Devastator IIC exists in your altered timeline that's an Omni. As it is, replacing the second suggestion with a Warhawk for the same reasons - a devastating long-range mech.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 2, 2011

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Did they?

I'm not sure I buy the Kingfisher as the Devastator IIC (unless the Kingfisher C is the Kingfisher Prime in this timeline), but the Kingfisher is an Omni so you can consider a vote for a Devastator IIC as a vote for a Kingfisher if you want.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Helter Skelter posted:

Doesn't hurt (well, not the pilot, anyway) that those UAC/2s are backed up by a pair of ERPPCs and a LB-X/10. I was about to make an argument for the very same 'mech.

From the sounds of things, Siedman will be popping up in another mission soon, piloting whatever mech we choose. Do you want him showing up in a Dire Wolf?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Remora posted:

Do not ask for an easier target. Ask to become a stronger man. :colbert:

I've wanted us to play as the Clans for more than that one-off mission for a while, yes. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pinguliten posted:

Corpse eater, the eagle on top of yggdrasil? I like it! :D

Come on. If we did that, we'd have to name one of the Clan lights the Ratatosk(r). True, naming a mech after a mythological squirrel strikes me as pretty Goony, but not sure anyone in the setting would use the name.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is what I get for neglecting this thread for a while.

Hussars, go!

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 3, 2011

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the one hand, I hate the Draconis Combine. On the other hand, I like the FWL.

Tough call, and I'll be happy with either.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Now I want to change my vote back to the invasion of Luthien. :( Curse you, PoptartsNinja! Why couldn't you have left these two options for separate intervanls so we could do both...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd probably change my vote now, but that's not allowed. :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mukaikubo posted:

Probably, and it is hardly out of nowhere. I mean... the Clans in canon are pretty bad? They are inarguably villains and pricks who nobody REALLY wants to see win, and this is coming from likely the biggest clanner fanboy in the thread. And in PTN-canon, he has basically gone all out to remove all the stops and make the Clans even more reprehensible and indefensible. There is no clan left that, you know, wants to protect the Inner Sphere. The best you get is a clan or two that wants to leave the Inner Sphere alone after smashing a few dozen planets and dropping the microphone on stage. The Vipers want to use the locals to help rule after smashing everything. But the rest seem so far to be pretty unambiguously mustache-twirling villains who are only out for revenge and to wreck poo poo. The interesting betrayal-of-ideals of Kerensky possibly being a noble dude who left to keep a giant war from getting bigger is gone. The interesting hypocrisy at the core of the clans is gone. Instead we have "Kerensky gets beat like a bitch, runs away sobbing, comes back in two centuries to get revenge on those jerks" which is significantly less relatable and interesting from a metaplot perspective. I love the thread, but this is (and I have picked at this before) my single huge beef with his canon in that I feel like it has taken the already-thin sections of the Clans which are interesting and carefully cut them out with a razor.

So... no, I do not think the hatred of the Clans in the thread that has cropped up is out of nowhere, or even completely unjustified. Nor would I honestly expect the thread to ever want to play as the Clans again. I mean... it is fun to be the villain, but it is much more fun to be an interesting villain. And from what we have seen of PTN's clans? The Steel Vipers... might be? The Isolationists... kind of, but still not really, since they are just fighting for the right to take their ball and go home? Everyone else, absolutely not.

This nails why the Clans are reviled in this thread. It's like taking the Mongol Empire and removing the parts where they treated women better than any other nation of the era, maintained law and good order in the territories they controlled, and was generally a safe and decent place to live so long as you didn't piss off the rulers.

The Goliath Scorpions are, I think, our best bet for some interesting Clanners to play as, but we've seen very little of them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gimmick Account posted:

That's a really good idea, I'm strongly in favour of it. What do our clan-loathing veterans think of this option?

I'd love this. I'm in the "wanted vote for both" camp.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I am reluctant to allow two concurrent battles, though. It sets what I consider to be a bad precident, and because doing so extends the times between votes and bogs down the overall story. If people really are adamant about doing both, I could probably nix my 'next cycle' (which is still pretty ephemeral, waiting on results from this one) for another time skip / big story update.

I'm just reluctant to do another one of those so soon, because we'd actually possibly miss out on a political vote.

I think this is a fairly exceptional situation, though. I think people feel strongly enough about these battles that they wouldn't mind missing out on a political vote. This is certainly the most heated vote the thread's yet seen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

evilmiera posted:

Wait a minute, Solaris only got a single vote? I was almost certain more people voted for that. Maybe it's just the Solaris fan in me saying that though and coloring my memories.

Maybe after we decide the fate of a couple large chunks of the galaxy the thread should decompress with some goon-on-goon mech violence on Solaris.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, lessee what the good guys have...

AWS-8Q Awesome
80 tons
54 kph
3x PPC
1x Small Laser

ON1-K Orion
75 tons
64.8 kph
1x AC/10
1x LRM-15
2x Medium Laser
1x SRM-4

OSR-2C Ostroc
60 tons
86.4 kph
2x Large Lasers
2x Medium Lasers
1x SRM-4

GLD-4R Gladiator
55 tons
86 kph
1x PPC
2x Medium Lasers
1x SRM-6

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't know. That Raven's electronic warfare gear is the kind of thing I could see a DM using to do all sorts of things that aren't in the exact rules, like hacking supposedly friendly turrets or spoofing missile locks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MJ12 posted:

Maybe, and this is just a crazy idea, the Raven has some enhancing ability for Listen-Kill missiles.

Those were a Capellan invention in the early 3030s, which were -1 to hit against targets with no penalty. If the ECM/Sensor bubble boosts this (to say, -2), the Bombardier and Whitworth suddenly start looking a lot more dangerous.

PTN confirmed this, Goonlance. Make ready.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
After forgetting about this thread for most of a decade, and a couple of months of reading from the beginning, I've finally caught up.

God drat this has been some impressive work, Poptarts.

I'm still undecided about which match was my favorite. Counting Coup was a tense nail-biter won by the skin of GoonStar's teeth, Ikuta Glacier was hilarious slapstick comedy, and Sludge Factory was sheer, unadulterated carnage.

No offense, but I'm hoping the NRWR loses this campaign. Aside from the assassination of Amaris VI, which doesn't seem to have changed a thing, the NRWR just plain doesn't seem to lose. I don't think we've ever seen them suffer a major reversal, and the combination of Word of Blake gear, Clan Wolverine crap, jumpship superweapons, and all the other bullshit we saw in the Demon Hawks campaign makes them way, way too special and bullshit in my opinion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Perhaps, but narrative weaknesses and problems don't mean a thing if the people with them still don't lose.

I wouldn't have chewed through two thousand pages and change of this thread if I wasn't enjoying it, but the NRWR rubs me the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xarbala posted:

So yes, your distaste is understandable. They combine elements of a number of unpopular and "special" factions. My guess is that the difference for the thread readers is, well, genuine charisma in the form of a (late) Bond villain-esque figure and being the player-sympathetic POV during a rather popular mini-campaign. Whether they keep succeeding their way into true BT-Suedom or not is, well, up to the players isn't it? But for better or worse, it would be quite :battletech: if they did.

(But man, the Capcon have their own pet enclave of the Society, and that's a big whoa.)

Eh, the three factions I'm a fan of (the Clans, the Lyrans, and the Free World League) all do pretty much nothing but lose, in canon and the Poptarts-verse, so I suppose I'm just a bit salty.

• Locked thread