Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

WarLocke posted:

Serious discussion: I honestly can't think of a reason why you would need more than (maybe) 2 omnimech chassis for each weight bracket (20, 25, 30, etc) except for maaaybe one or two 'special snowflake' designs for each Clan.

You still got a lotta omni designs with terrible, terrible armor and fixed critical allocations.

coughhackhellbringercough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Applying to be a mechwarriors. I'm cool with being whoever, but prefer the IS side of things.

wakhon at hotmail dot com

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Axe-man posted:

i'm going to run so i can get behind that lvl 1 and then unload on some jenner scrap.

the Hussar we are going against btw:

A very old scout design that didn't make the transition to "modern" day well.

Only a large laser and paper thin armor this thing can hit hard but only if you let it.

Legend goes that this used to be a hovertank design, until someone told the artist that they were short one mech.

So, legs and arms were haphazardly added.

Also, large lasers are 8 damage.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Don't forget that the jenner can cause a PSR on the off chance it hits with all of its weapons.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

A note on physical attacks: if they're one level higher than you, you can't kick them. If they're one level lower, you can't punch them. If they're two levels high or lower, you can't melee them at all (unless you want to intentionally fall on them).

On the other hand, if they're one level lower, you're going to be doing your kick damage on the punch hit location table.

And doing that much damage on a table where you have a 1 in 6 chance to hit the head is a pretty big thing.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

e: Oh hell yes Frederick Steiner is still Marshal of the Armies, isn't he? This is gonna be FUN.

This is partially why I really hope the Lyrans are one of our other factions.

Edit: also, and for some really bizzarre reason, combines are one of the best melee weapons under the TW rules.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 27, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

The Jenner's probably better off getting the gently caress out of there for the time being. +7 overheat is not a place you want to be with two mechs in close proximity.

What I suggest is that you do a max jump into a wooded hex to keep any shooting mods against you as high as possible while you sit there and cool off a bit. To that end, getting to the light woods in 1208 or the heavy woods in 1213(I think?) might help enough, since the hussar's got good enough gunnery to do a number on any of your limbs.

The Vulcan, on the other hand, is fine if he can stand up and keep his forward arc towards the enemy.

Edit: Now that I see how the turn initiative works, 1213 will keep the Jenner out of LOS from the Hussar, at least.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 27, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

It boggles the mind that there are some crazy, insane people who do stuff like smoke/fire tracking and double blind in in-person battletech games.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Dominus Caedis posted:

The Clans

Not really?

I mean, there are quite a few exceptions to the rule (Edo), but for the most part the entire point of Clan honor duels and zellbringen was to keep collateral damage to a minimum.

Unless we're talking 3150's era Clan Jade Falcon or something.

Also, I always found Capcom and the Liaos pretty amusing. I mean, the Liao that founded the dynasty was, judging by his description in the old House Book, a chinese/scottish japanophile who hijacked a colony ship. This started a line of very eccentric rulers, who somehow managed to be the people who came the closest to ending the Succession Wars peacefully.

And then of course we end up with Maxwell "The Yellow Peril" Liao. :stare:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

There's a reason why I don't want too much talk about Dark Age in this thread. Dark Age is so terrible the authors pretty much just gave up and said "Ok, how much do I get paid?" then crapped out novels in like, ten minutes... and the editors didn't call them on it.

Allegedly they got better once they decided to stop focusing on space lumberjacks and more on stuff like Clan Wolf and Jade Falcon :black101:ing the gently caress out of the Lyran Commonwealth or the reformation of the Free Worlds League.

Unfortunately that was like 15 or so books into the series, when most everyone stopped caring.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Edit: Question for PTN - Did Justin Allard (Justin Xiang I guess now) lose his arm in this new timeline? That was a pretty defining moment/trait for the character in the canon events, if it didn't happen this time I can imagine him turning out pretty differently.

Probably, considering that it happened during the events that ended up getting him exiled.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Trebuchet 5J 4 lyfe

Edit: remember being in a megamek campaign a while back set during Anton Marik's rebellion. I somehow got the short straw and ended up in a Wasp, and was one of two people with mechs lighter than 45 tons.

And I felt a helluva lot better than the guy who had to roll on the capellan salvage table and got an Urbanmech.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 29, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

The spider might do what, 6 damage?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Speaking of space nazis, I'm still kinda surprised that the LC choices are the GDL and Solaris stables, instead of something like the 6th "Hookers n Blow" Lyran Guards regiment.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Up to 40 damage on the cluster hits table isn't nothing to scoff at.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

There's something inherently sillier about technology worshipping cyborg fanatics than a bunch of genetically engineered warriors who take their animal themes very seriously?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Agent Interrobang posted:

The Word of Blake, meanwhile, kinda comes out of nowhere. They're religious fanatics who worship technology and that's about as far as they get thought out: they attack everybody simultaneously because ???, they managed to produce a massive army in secret because ???, and their ultimate motivations, besides TAKE OVER THE INNER SPHERE, are also pretty ???.

Man what?

Its pretty much a culmination of the Comstar conspiracy that ran through most of the early novels up to the one where Myndo Waterley goes insane. This being the one where they believe they're destined to overthrow the successor lords and lead the sphere into some sort of utopia.

So you have a faction that's existed in one form or another since the end of the star league. They're sitting on top of an industrial base that alone probably rivals the output of a single successor state, and on top of that they have so many fingers in so many pies in another successor state's military industrial complex. The only intelligence agencies who take it upon themselves to keep a close eye on them are either riddled with moles (ROM) or slowly being whittled down in a covert war (Wolfnet).

And this is before you actually get to the actual rear end-pull elements, like the hidden worlds.

Edit: think this needs a :goonsay:

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 29, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I enjoyed the Warrior Trilogy. It wasn't particularly good, but it was fun to read. Seeing Hanse be all :smug: every other chapter never got old.

I would've liked the Kell Hounds parts better if it wasn't basically Wolves on the Border with magic powers, though.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Seems to me that the name of the primary planet in a given system is usually synonymous with the entire star system itself.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Well aside from hardware, I think all the Successor States that truly want to revive the Star League see it as the ultimate prestige item. The Star League was created by Terrans and ruled from Terra, and of course Terra is the origin of humanity. Any ruler who wants to genuinely claim lordship over the entire human race would need Terra as a symbol of legitimacy.

But if the Inner Sphere went through another period of geometric expansion, there would be no point. Terra is so vitally important because it's at the geographic, political, technological and social center of the human race. Hell the Inner Sphere itself is defined by Terra's location. If humanity spread out enough, though, they would lose that connection and other places would become truly independent regional centers.
Speaking of which, some of those obscure outer periphery states are really drat interesting.

Like the that place vaguely based off reconquista era spain that may or may not be made up of lost Clan Wolverine members, or the Jarnsfolk, or the ominous-sounding RWR Outpost that appeared in a single Comstar-centric book and never again afterwards.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Don't forget the planet with bird aliens that worship a Locust :downs:

gently caress that planet.

gently caress that entire planet.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Mechwarrior 3 did it to a limited extent. It didn't really make it much more difficult to leg a mech with four CERLarge lasers but hey....

Mechwarrior 2 did, too.

I re-installed the first Mercenaries a while back and was actually kinda surprised at how much the targeting reticle bounced around the faster you moved.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Mechwarrior 4 was mentioned in the FCCW sourcebook, but it pretty much consisted of a small blurb about how Ian Dresari retook Kentares.

I think the only other game that actually exists in canon is Crescent Hawks Inception, but not necessarily Revenge. And even then I think thats more because one of the developers liked the game and decided to bring back the Crescent Hawks as a merc unit in the Jihad.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'd really love someone to take the logical brave leap in computer games and give each weapon its individual target reticule. Naturally they all wander around if the mech is moving. That'd separate newbies from legends.

Eh, if its anything like how AT1 did it, I'm not sure I'm interested.

The arm weapons were fine, but the developers pretty much forgot the notion that torso-mounted guns had a limited ability to traverse to account for stability, and were thus pretty much impossible to use.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Okay now you have to elaborate on this concept.

Basically, Clan Diamond Shark, aka. Clan Sea Fox is pretty much ruled by its merchant caste.

Which basically makes them the Ferengi of the Clans.

Blessed with a lack of obsession with most forms of Clan honor, they've taken up trading with the Inner Sphere. To make things interesting, they've also taken to designing grand-spankin' new mechs to sell to this new and expanding market.

By which I mean they come up with a slew of knock-off designs of iconic clan mechs intended to be sold to stupid inner sphere buyers who didn't know any better because if its made by the clans, it *must* be good.

Like the Mad Cat Mk.II. Which, mind, is actually pretty solid, but its a design that's looked down upon in the clans, if only because of the non-omni stigma.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 31, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

El Spamo posted:

Sorry to drag the machine gun ammo explosion issue up again, but would it really negatively impact the game that much to house-rule (y'know, with everyone playing's consent) in that MG ammo doesn't explode? It gets hit, becomes useless, finito. I've been gnawing on the idea of hooking my friends into playing battletech so that little change might be something to propose.

I'm kinda torn.

On one hand, its pretty reasonable and would move a lot of designs out of the "deathtrap" category.

But on the other hand, having a mech explode from a TAC on its machinegun ammo is a battletech rite of passage.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

MJ12 posted:

I thought that was from the ComStar hidden worlds defecting to WoB in the schism and having a lot of puppets in the FWL which was lousy with WoB, as well as the Manei Domini having been implied to be an actual interstellar power in their own right.

WoB post-3067 has some pretty amazing unit designs though (the Celestials and Spectrals are both awesome looking and genuinely fun to use together) so I kind of forgive them for a lot.

The only really viable way to deal with nukes and orbital bombardment is your own nukes and plenty of AMS in space, let alone on the ground. Yeah.
Not to mention they were making heavy use of "super jumps"

It was some arcane fuckery with the jump drive using the L-I battery or something that had like a %60 chance of irreversibly burning the thing out, but that's a fairly small price to pay when it gives you free reign to launch invasions of what are considered "safe" systems.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 1, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

WarLocke posted:

The first 2/3 of that is true. :colbert:

I love the interstellar conspiracies books so much.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Going to vote A. No reason to back down at this point, but no reason to invite Comstar's ire.

C is choice no.2 because its the Hanse thing to do.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Agent Interrobang posted:

...drat it, brain, stop picturing Joanna and Marthe Pryde making out.

I'll help.

Samantha Clees

Edit: Also, the only canon homosexual characters I can think of are historical figures. One really, really fabulous Davion prince, and Terens Amaris, who basically inherited the Rim Worlds League because she was really special friends with the female First Consul.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 2, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Death Commandos!

I wanna be the faceless henchman this time.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Aw, I missed the Jihad argument. :(

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Xmas Future posted:

I really like Riflemen in spite of all the reasons I shouldn't.
During my FWL campaign I regularly used Rifleman 7M to great effect as a sniper. 2 light gauss rifles sniping at you from ~25 hexes really adds up after a while.

To be fair, all of the re-seen version of the Rifleman are pretty objectively awesome.

Especially the 6X, which turns it into a fast jumping cavalry mech with a pair of fuckoff LBX-10's.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I remember playing in one of those megamek metacampaign thingies where it was set in 3025 but decided to add in precision ammo for smaller autocannons.

It gave the AC/2 some decent utility, since partially negating the movement penalty to hit was a pretty big thing when dealing with fast lights, hovercraft, VTOLs, et al.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Not in-mission.

In the tabletop version there's this optional set or rules where repairs take place over the period of at a couple of days.

Like, repairing some modest armor damage is the easiest thing, and that'll take at least one day of work from one tech.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

The Reseen looking like knockoffs of the originals is kinda the point.

For all intents and purposes the Unseen designs still exist in-canon as they always have, and the developers made no attempt to remove them or retcon them out despite not being able to actually show them.

The actual Project Phoenix designs are mostly supposed to be some startup company with "mysterious" backers re-designing a bunch of old designs with newer (non-SL) technologies and licensing them out to manufacturers across the sphere. And for the most part, they pretty much look like radical re-designs of the old chassis.

This also gave a convenient excuse to explain some of the more drastic Dark Age redesigns, like the Spider and Panther. The ones that they're not re-doing, at least.

Edit: Oh, and I think the IIC redesigns are Diamond Shark being Diamond Shark again.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 6, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Hey, hey.

Now it can turn around on pavement without wiping the gently caress out.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Pretty sure his Grandson was implied to be the real power behind the Republic of the Sphere.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Sair posted:

Thunderbolts are probably one of my favorite mechs. Particularly the TDR-5SS. PPC, 3 med lasers, an SRM-6 and a flamer. It's a Battlemaster Jr.

That reminds me, with the embargo on non-macross unseen designs gone, a bunch of folks on the Battletech forums raised some money to finance a new sculpt based on old TDR from Iron Wind.

Hopefully it'll look better than the old mini.

Also, I think that introductory university lecture from the Tech Manual might be one of my favorite vignettes from the current rulebooks.

Which I quite enjoy, like the one mentioned a while back about a bunch of farmers trying to fight off a bandit urbanmech, or the one in TW about some poor schmuck who keeps getting captured as a spy, mindwiped, and released as a decoy in the next successor state over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Eh, the PPC category aside, I've never really been a fan of the newer energy stuff. For the most part you're paying a *lot* of extra heat for a modest increase in range, or in the case of the pulse lasers, being able to only shoot up to medium range for an increase in accuracy at point blank. There's something about the standard medium laser that just strikes me as right.

Now PPC's, I love all of the new stuff.

So much.

• Locked thread