Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Pimpmust posted:

Now I want a match to be goons in a company of tanks vs a lance of clanners :colbert:

I could get behind this. Show the Clanners what some armor can do!

Not to get hung up on this honor stuff, but I would think that any right thinking Inner Sphere military dude would call out Knox on his bullshit. Whether Knox or his superiors would actually do anything about it is another question. Really, he was to withdraw, not advance in another direction and pick off targets of opportunity...

Good fight, raverrn. Your tank crew is still out there in the woods, so maybe you can hide out there and try and affect the battle in some way. Or you could make it back to the dropships or something. Tell the rest of the Commonwealth what went down with the 2nd and how these clanners can be exploited honor wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

WarLocke posted:

Hah, I'm a huge Robotech fan but I didn't make this connection. Damnit PTN that Wolfhound should have been a Phoenix Hawk LAM for maximum nerdiness. :argh:

Wow, I didn't notice that one either. Not that big of a Robotech fan, but I do see references to it all the goddamn time... And he was the pilot that got the boost as well... Agreed on the point about the LAM, though his Wolfhound went out like a boss though. Fully lived up to the name.

As for this turn, I think Colonel Rossi's character is really growing on me. Really nice writing, PTN. Whether he picks up a club or not, this will be an amusing fight to watch, as will the fist fight between the Lieutenant and the Lucerne. If Rossi makes good on his boast, that Mechwarrior will be dust, his name forgotten to time...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 13, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, Colonel Rossi looks to be pretty screwed. If he can survive the shooting round with the clanner, I guess he could try swinging his tree club and perhaps bashing the gently caress out of the Mugger. Maybe if he managed to land a hit with that AC20 before swinging the thing... I dunno, things aren't looking good to my admittedly inexperienced eye...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Nooooooooooooooo, Colonel Rossi! Death by ammo explosion is a pretty bad way to go... And he didn't even take that Clanner with him either... drat. :911:

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 16, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

LeschNyhan posted:

gently caress YEAH :black101:

I kind of want that Mugger to annihilate itself standing up. It would be a humiliating end of battle for Azael, and at least Rossi's last word's would mean something.

That would indeed be awesome. Looks like it might happen, too.

Echoing the calls for the use of a JUSTICE FOOT by Muk here. Good luck, you're gonna need it!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 17, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Wow, these updates are coming a lot quicker now, but since there's only one player to get orders from, I guess that's understandable...

It doesn't look too good for Lt Clover, but I still think she might be able to pull it off... At least, I hope so... Stand up and deck this guy, Muk. You can do it!

The only problem afterwards would be to avenge Colonel Rossi and take out the Mugger. You've successfully managed to play for time, the dropships should be able to take off. Just fulfill the Colonel's last words and turn that Clanner into dust and ash.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

WEll, if we stick to the rules we set, we could possibly accomplish that even if we don't make it to Turn 20. They'll offer Caesar hegira unless we prove we don't deserve it.

Yeah, if we do wind up shooting the Clanner we're supposed to be fist fighting with, the Command Star will likely turn their guns on the dropships when it appears that they've finished their power up sequence. If you were to shoot someone, wait until you've pounded the guy you're fighting now, then shoot the Mugger with an Alpha Strike to avenge Colonel Rossi. You only need to bide time for another 3 turns anyway. You can do it, Muk!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Goddamn, I just caught up with the end of the last mission... You were so close, Muk, only to be foiled at the last minute. You're definitely getting my MVP vote, honorable mention going out to the rest of the Command Lance and the tank for being generally awesome and kicking as much rear end as they did.

I have no thoughts on the Political Vote though. I do, however, wish to see what Caesar Steiner is going to pull off against Star Colonel Dusk at the end of that last update, as well as the fates of Lt Clover and Cpl Hunter after they were taken as bondsmen...

Also, against what seems to be popular opinion, I'd prefer to see the Combine fighting the Clans next mission over the ComGuard...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

That was unexpected... Caesar being made into a bondsman? Not sure what to think about that.

As for the vote on next theater... I don't fancy reading about playing as the ComGuards, and there are no Kurita options available... I would go with the Northwind Highlanders, but I have no idea who they're gonna be fighting... And Bobbin designing the Goliath Scorpion scenario looks interesting...

gently caress it, going with B) the Northwind Highlanders. Space Scots vs (maybe) the Free Worlds League(?) will be interesting to watch.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

So we are on Tharkad... Interesting. I guess I'll have to wait to see the actual map and the objectives before making any further comments on the mission, but I wouldn't be surprised if Muk's scenario is correct.

Never played a BattleTech game in my life, so I'm not sure how these Light Mechs will work out. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

There are optional rules for misses hitting other targets.

Well, the mission objectives say to avoid unnecessary collateral damage, so I can see that as being a bad thing...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Wait, why does having a Full Moon add a +2 penalty to all weapon rolls? Wouldn't a Full Moon make it easier to see your targets, giving a bonus to hit? Or am I just misunderstanding something?

Also, interesting mission by the looks of it right now. Destroying the statue of Duke Lestrade sounds like a hilarious mission objective. Wonder what's so important in the nightclub to warrant a guard of two Mechs, albeit Stingers at that, and two tanks... I guess we'll find out when that statue gets destroyed...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

ZeeToo posted:

Because normally it's daytime.

A night without a full moon has much nastier penalties.

Herp derp. That makes sense... I guess I misread the New Moon penalties as well. Whoops.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Bad Moon posted:

Yeah, Heimdall reinforcements in the form of a Kell Hounds 1st Regiment Heavy lance :colbert:

Incidentally, if it is Melissa Steiner in that night club, all we have to do is sacrifice Patrick Kell and it will immediately be Mission Success.

Only problem with that is in PTN's rewritten history, the Kell Hounds were blamed for the death of Archon Katrina Steiner, probably by Duke Lestrade or someone associated with him... The Kell Hounds are currently in Davion space, as shown in the first mission, and likely to stay there for the foreseeable future, at least according to my reading of events... So they unfortunately will probably not be riding in as the cavalry... At least, not with the set up PTN has now.

Looks to me like this mission will have some sort of reckoning for Lestrade. At least, I hope so...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

evilmiera posted:

Wait, who killed off the Grey Death legion again? That was so long ago I can barely remember them even being fought :(

Edit: If it was the clans (what with the notion of the periphery in the OP), I will be very sad. Why're you all about giving those guys trouble, huh? :(

In all seriousness though, this will make the C option a lot more interesting the next time around :D

Edit: Huh, oddly enough it hadn't updated my page properly. So it most certainly is the Clans.

Yeah, the GDL got killed off in Political Vote 1 by Clan Widowmaker. Unsurprising, since PTN has said that he hates them. Borrowing a TvTropes term, we Worfed them, in effect killing them off to show in universe just how serious the Clans were this time around, I guess.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Affi posted:

The objective did say to avoid shooing anything blue, I saw the blue in the middle and figured that was part of it. On closer inspections the darkblue rectangels are likely the residental buildings.

I don't want to be nitpicky but that was inherently obvious :(

Different shade of blue though... The darker blue parallelograms are definitely the residential buildings that you guys are supposed to avoid damaging. The hexagon and triangle of lighter blue is probably snow on the ground in a park or something of that nature. We are on an ice planet, after all... Common sense, people!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

TildeATH posted:

Oh thank God!

Ha ha oh wow... I had to count the number of rats there, but it works so drat perfectly!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Why does the bright moon make shooting more difficult? You would think it would be the other way around.

I asked this earlier right after the special rules were posted by PTN. Makes sense once you think about it, since a moonless night would have even more penalties.

As for LosTech, doesn't the fluff of BattleTech say that they developed their computer technology different from how it developed in real life? As in they went the whole mainframe route while we focused on miniaturization? That could be why computers are considered LosTech.

In addition to the list of LosTech that MJ12 posted, add guided missiles, UAVs, cellular ammunition storage, and C3i/fire control/targeting computers worth a drat. There might be more, but that's all I'm remembering off the top of my head.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 25, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

There's just something about having a chassis dedicated solely to carrying around a single, incredibly ammo-hungry weapon with absolutely nothing for backup.

Isn't that the paradigm for current tank designs and many other weapons systems now though? They do carry some secondary armaments, but the main weapon of a tank is always gonna be the huge gun that they have dominating the turret.

Sure, a Mech may be different from a tank, especially in BattleTech where the Successor States focus on Mechs over much of anything else militarily or otherwise, but the principle is still valid.

Also, didn't you already mention the Gauss Rifle when you did the writeup of the Excalibur, Defiance? I dunno about this Hollander, but if you've already mentioned the weapon system, I don't see what would be wrong about doing a writeup of this one. Again, I am not familiar with BattleTech, but if this design uses a lot of a weapon system we haven't seen before but you've already mentioned in another writeup, what's the problem?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The Merry Marauder posted:

Modern AFVs use threshold armor, though. If the armor is breached, the track is hosed. Mechs can have big holes blown in them (or tiny ones, when it comes to TACs), lose whole weapon systems, and yet keep fighting if they have other guns.

That's true. Mech armor ablates if anything so much as looks at it wrong, while anything that can't penetrate modern armor in real life bounces off of it, but anything that can penetrate it will absolutely gently caress it over. Guess my comparison wasn't all that valid after all...

Well, I would need to rewrite a lot of the Hollander's existing fluff. The Excalibur writeup was by ComStar and they still have the GR, but the Hollander is a homegrown Defiance Industries machine, and in this timeline, DefHes can build neither a GR or the XL engine the Hollander needs.

I see. I did mention that I was a newbie to BattleTech so I had no way of knowing that. I dunno, guess you should wait a bit until Defiance is able to build it then.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Battleships make a fairer comparison, because they follow the 'ablates' and 'compartments' model a bit more closely.

Uhh, that wasn't me who said that. I think you misquoted someone or something.

MJ12 posted:

Yeah but that's more or less entirely due to the decision to use a ICE engine. Pull that for a 285 fusion and you literally free up 19 tons,
I remember reading about this and how it's evidence that the BattleTech construction rules literally nerf tanks and other vehicles so that Mechs remain king of the battlefield. Something about how Internal Combustion Engines/Fusion reactors take up so much drat weight on tanks that you can't fit enough armor onto it or something like that. Engines weighing significant fractions of vehicle weight compared to modern engines that move modern tanks with similar mass at the same speeds that the BT tanks do.

Still, this may be me getting bad info or listening to people talk out of their rear end. Remember, I am not all that familiar with BattleTech or it's mech and vehicle construction rules, so I get most of my info from secondhand sources. And those sources may have their own biases for these sorts of things.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 25, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

MJ12 posted:

That's because ICE engines don't come with any free heat sinks, mass twice as much as fusion engines (~150% as much on a vehicle), and require power amplifiers to power energy weaponry.

And yes, there are a lot of Battletech "fans" who sperge endlessly about how tanks aren't realistically good and how Battletech is unrealistic and who should be told to shut the gently caress up.

Yeah, I got that much. The free heat sinks, extra mass, and lack of power are all good reasons to use fusion engines. The problem isn't that, it's the fact that both types of engines mass entirely way too much on a tank for what an engine should logically weigh to move a tank at a specific speed.

And I did say that I was unfamiliar with BattleTech construction rules, and that my first real introduction to them was a board where the posters were fluffing a Tom Clancy's Ryan-verse vs Succession Wars level Inner Sphere setting, so all that sperging rubbed off on me. It was my initial introduction to the setting, and having this thread come around after it, with people here talking about this as well, has colored my perceptions of BattleTech. I will apologize for once again leading the discussion this way...

BTW, on that same forum, there's also a user there who goes by MJ12 Commando who holds the same general views on sperging about BT that you do, MJ12. Would you two happen to be the same person?

Volmarias posted:

Why don't we just make the mechs out of diamond :science:

Because everyone knows that diamond is one of the hardest metals (if not the hardest metal) known the man.:downswords:

Volmarias posted:

Lets discuss our Michael Bay circlejerk fantasies again where the inner sphere attempts to invade earth and our valiant military fights them off

We could, but I'm assuming that would violate PTN's Sperg Alert: Red rule. Oh well.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 25, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

MJ12 posted:

Oh god you've found me out now what will I do? :ohdear:

Yeah, I'm him, if the identical avatar hasn't tipped you off.

Huh, I thought it was you but wasn't sure. Might as well have asked. Guess you're pretty much done with that RR, aren't you? I only lurk that part of the forum, but I haven't seen you around on it after you blew up a couple times on a lot of the writers and other posters who were sperging about BT vs Tom Clancy a few months back.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Did how those work ever get explained, or did I Miss that?

From what I remember from my gleaned BT knowledge, a black box is basically a fax machine that can transmit lightyears of distance without using HPG technology, so the Feddies can get around using ComStar and survive an interdiction. Sure, C* might be suspicious when a lower amount of important HPG traffic goes through Davion space or an interdiction doesn't seem to hurt them as much, but, as far as my limited knowledge goes, they're unaware that the Black Boxes exist or that Davion has a number of them recovered from a Star League cache.

landcollector posted:

On this episode of Pimp My Mech...

Sup dawg, I heard you like guns, so we put some extra ammo in your torso so you can ammo explosion while you Stackpole. :whatup:
Yeah, I'm not really all that good at this... Maybe if I knew more about BT...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Zaodai posted:

It is a good looking mech, no doubt. I just couldn't resist the House joke. I was originally tempted to just post "Is it Lupus?" and when The Casualty said no, go with the more traditional "It's never lupus, except that one time it was."

If you can't be helpful, go for the cheap joke. That's my motto. :downs:

Hey, it works. It would have been funny if you managed to pull it off.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Artificer posted:

You know, for Battletech rules, that makes a surprising amount of sense.

Yeah, I'm surprised that the rules actually make sense in this case. I would have expected something like what Warlocke and Leperflesh thought would happen.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

raverrn posted:

Weapons fire more often than that, it's just the damage is from an abstracted 10-second volley. Hence pulse lasers being easier to 'hit' with, they fire more volleys in that 10-second period.

I mean, it still doesn't make that much sense, but just roll with it.

Nah, that makes sense. Automatic ballistic weapons can fire a burst during that 10 second period and you already mentioned pulse lasers. I can imagine single shot ballistic weapons needing that 10 seconds to load another round and wait for the barrel to cool as to not overheat the weapon. Energy weapons would need time to cycle for the exact same reasons.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I really like the dots. Much easier to read than the old maps. You could probably even get away with not putting up the white text for where mechs used to be, since the dots show the origin pretty well.

Looking at the key (which is excellent because it tells me which friendly mech is which, something that's also been occasionally hard to figure out), I think the enemy color is just a bit too close to the H3's colors; I'd suggest using something else (maybe orange?).

Yeah, I like this new movement system a lot. Shows where everything moved and gives a handy key for what each unit is as well. I agree, with the dots, you might not even need the afterimages to show original positions.

As for the update itself, two turns to destroy the statue should give you guys plenty of time. Pretty sure most of you would be in range of it right now and have decent to hit numbers, going off of what others are saying here in thread. I'm not familiar at all with BattleTech firing rules, so I guess I'll believe those who are more versed in them than me. That statue should explode in one hit, barring any secret Atlas hidden in the statue, right?

Also, the Assassin almost inadvertently landing on the Javelin was hilarious. Being unable to contact each other fluffwise has its disadvantages, eh? Provided that wasn't just flavor text that PTN cooked up for this turn.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I have a feeling that the identity of Rain may be more important in the future, assuming that wasn't just some fluff that PTN wrote for this update. Ex-Lohengrin, ex-Loki, assigned to kill Morgan Kell but relenting at the last minute, rejecting an offer to join the Kell Hounds? Definitely sounds important.

Nice shot flash broiling that ostentatious statue. Looks like all 3 of the jump-jet crew had the same idea though, only the Valkyrie took the shot first. Now to do some property damage. How much are those Stingers and tanks worth anyway, C-bill wise? While heading back to pop the train might be funny, it might take a bit too long for the Commando. Better just move away from those gas tank looking cylinders and blow those up and possibly cause a chain reaction for more property damage to fulfill the requirement.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

landcollector posted:

Each Stinger mech: 1,615,440 C-bills
Scorpion Light Tank: 327,083 C-bills
Galleon Light Tank: 323,700 C-bills

Welp, that's only about 4 million C-bills combined there. Better make with the property destruction to get to that 30 million total!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

those tanks of delicious alcohol are quite near a residential building.

I dunno, if I'm reading the map right, that residential building south west of the tanks filled with gas or alcohol or what have you is a Heavy (Hardened?) building. It could probably tank the explosion of the tanks with no problem, even if they were filled with explosive goodness and caused a chain reaction. There still might be some damage, but it wouldn't bring the building down... I hope... Hell, vape it anyway.

If you could lure the enemy forces in among the tanks, that would be cool, but I'm guessing that would take too long. Still, lurking behind Light buildings in pull a Kool Aid Man when enemy forces get too close would be killing two birds with one stone, as it would count the property damage and the damage to enemy forces...

As for ComStar withholding chocolate from the rest of humanity, it seems totally in character for what I know of them.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The Javelin looks a bit exposed, though I guess those light woods will give him some cover from the two Stingers. Those Stingers popping their floodlights might make them bigger targets now, too. I am all for a watching a Steiner rules duel between the two of them, though. The Valkyrie can take shots at the other Stinger since the floodlight is just gonna make him a big target.

Only 5k C-bills worth of damage done with that Medium Laser, huh? I think targeting light buildings may be a bit more efficient, easier to take down and should be worth just as much, I hope.

The Commando and the Assassin aren't in too bad of a position to take down the Loki (or is it Lyran) reinforcements that just showed up. Maybe the Assassin can take cover behind one of the target light buildings so as to kill two birds with one stone? Use the light building as cover or armor and rack up property damage while also targeting those two Locusts...

Can someone give me the C-bill values of those reinforcements? Why is one of those Locusts such a problem? Is it it's brace of Medium Lasers that makes it so dangerous? Forgive me, I'm still new to BattleTech.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

MJ12 posted:

Also, shouldn't the Assassin have 49, not 50, shots of SRM-2 ammo left?

I think PTN just forgot a little bookkeeping. FWIW, I also noticed that he assessed fog penalties on ballistic weapons and melee as well as the lasers that it was supposed to apply it. Doesn't matter, because the attacks would have missed anyway.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

:ohdear: Those Royal Guard pilots look pretty drat scary, especially since you guys are in Light Mechs... That tank especially looks all sorts of beefy.

I dunno, I think wrecking the nightclub just became your biggest priority... The Javelin is already in position to do so, I guess. It'd probably be a good idea to wreck the place as soon as possible. Maybe plow into it to use it as some sort of cover from the Stinger? You should be able to punch down the rest of the building while you're inside it and if the Stinger nails you, the resulting explosion should effectively destroy the place. Though I guess taking out that Stinger will make this whole thing easier to pull off.

You guys also still got quite a ways to go in order to meet your property damage quotas, though I guess that's not quite that important anymore, maybe. The Commando is in an especially bad spot, taking cover behind some target buildings might be a good idea, causing damage to them in order to meet your goals in the process or something. Dunno what else to say here...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

raverrn posted:

The only option is to stand and next turn jump away, igniting the gas as the place explodes behind you.

Well you gotta yell "OH SHIIIIIIIT!" as you do it.

This. I am all for this. The resulting explosion of the refinery as you jump away should get you all of the property damage you need. Also, there are no enemies nearby, so you should be fine as you stand up and prepare to jump out of there.

Also, that Commando looks like its in a whole heap of trouble... I guess he can do some damage when his mech goes up in an explosion...

Another good shot to the nightclub and that should be over and done with, I guess. On that note PTN, you didn't update the status of the nightclub (2 hexes destroyed) on your mission objectives tracker...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Welp, the Commando was definitely in a bad position, and he paid for it. What's funny is that the final blow came from falling after being kicked. At least his death did quite a bit towards you guys achieving your property damage goals and wrecked that one Locust... (speaking of which, I don't think you updated that Locust's incredibly damaged state on your rundown of Enemy status...)

The nightclub is also toast, so that's another mission objective you guys have done. Still, the Javelin in in a pretty bad position, what with that Home Guard Jaegermech close by and those two Stingers there as well. But I guess destroying one more hex of the building in 1407-1507 will bring it down, adding to your property damage totals... Still, pretty dangerous there to risk it. Maybe jump back into the park and then drop some SRMs at the buildings there?

As for the Valkyrie,

PoptartsNinja posted:

Litany of bad news
:ohdear: Maybe you shouldn't be jumping out of there... Just walk south a bit and maybe light the refinery up with one of your weapons? Will any of them ignite the gas and cause a building destroying explosion?

Also, DFA'ing the Home Guard Griffin seems like a very quick way to get another one of you guys killed without very much gain...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 11, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Pff, that's sissy talk. It's so much better to go out... with a bang.

YEAAAAAAAAAH.

I will admit that jumpjetting out of the refinery to set it off is a lot more awesome, but why do something with a very high chance of killing you when it isn't absolutely necessary? The Valkyrie still has a lot of fight in it, why end it prematurely?

KnoxZone posted:

Nobody ever said that DFAing the Griffin would be the *smart* course of action, but nobody can deny that it would be the most awesome move. How can anyone deny the :black101: of a mech strapped with explosives jumping out of a massive refinery explosion on a collision course with an enemy mech.

Same point w.r.t. the Assassin. The attack itself, if it even hits, will probably do inconsequential damage (I think, I'm not too familiar with these rules...) and the Assassin will likely get savaged in return. Sure he's got the explosives, but why throw away another Mech before you need to? Would the explosion even be enough to cripple the Griffin?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 11, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

the JJ posted:

Now, what I'm looking at is the refinery. It has hexes (0824-1126) adjacent to the building there (0924-1125). To really max the damage that refinery will get you, be ready to finish that building off. If you must DFA out of there aim for 1123.

Also, again again, nothing says terrorist attack like a fallen skyscraper. Also, according to CNN the man's last plans were to derail trains. Learn from the best, people.

Pretty sure the building you're referring to there is part of the refinery (has smokestack looking things at 1123 and 1024). It's not much of a skyscraper if you take into account that those hexes are just smokestacks or something similar, since the actual building itself is only height 5. From what I'm seeing, I'm guessing that the building will also go up in the explosion if the Valkyrie decides to jumpjet out of there, setting off the fuel. If that's the case, it's a pretty bad decision to land anywhere close to that building if you want to set off the refinery and survive.

Even if what I'm calling the refinery building doesn't explode along with the tanks when he jumpjets out, landing at 1123 still seems like a bad idea, since the smokestack looking thing at that hex is only a light building at height 6. We've previously established that light buildings can't hold up the weight of a mech, even a light one like the Valkyrie. So if he does land there, the only thing that's gonna happen is a collapsed smokestack causing some property damage and the Valkyrie taking a accidental fall from height 6. The latter of which is a pretty bad thing.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 11, 2011

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Not only that, anything it doesn't instantly kill (I think only the Valkyrie can take A Hit to the chest) is going to likely see its left/right torso and arms sawn off by the 16 SRMs and machine gun. It's going to be critical-hit city against all the damaged mechs if the Valkyrie can't bait and detonate that Von Luckner.

If it gets in range, you're pretty much either cored or worthless after a single salvo.

Isn't the tank really slow and all its devastating weaponry close ranged though? I think everyone can keep dancing around it until it moves into the refinery grounds, which is when you detonate the fuel there and take it out in the ensuing explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

if you do manage to complete everything, buttfuck the von luckner

Do you really even need to? Sure, it's probably gonna be worth a lot towards your property damage goal, but it's slow and everyone left has jumpjets. You guys could probably just run circles around the drat thing playing keep away and it won't be able to do a thing about it or bring its heavy guns into play...

EDIT: Read your post wrong. Yeah, once all your objectives are complete, I guess you guys could go after the house sized moving mass of gently caress YOU if you felt like it. I dunno though, why take out an experienced Home Guard tank crew just for doing his job when don't need to and you guys are ostensibly Lyran patriots? It'd probably be better to just let him alone so he can be turned on actual enemies of the Commonwealth the next time they attack Tharkad...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 12, 2011

• Locked thread