Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Defiance Industries posted:

You could call it a shift from unitary government to federalism, if you were so inclined.

Makes sense. Isn't the Lyran Commonwealth supposed to be a ConMon on paper, with the Archon's actions technically needing to be ratified by the Estates General, but they're pretty much a rubber stamp at this point?

Still, some actual beginnings of Federalism, and not the fiction of the one in the FedSuns, is a breath of somewhat fresh air, though we'll see how it actually plays out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Preechr posted:

I forgot, was it real Melissa Steiner who married Clovis or was it Jeana Clay?

Actual Melissa Steiner, I think. We were originally led to believe it was Clay, but I think she was the one hanging out with Morgan Kell as the Red Corsair and had those adventures with Duncan, IIRC. I forget if it was her or actual Melissa that went to save Carlos Marik from the Capellan Society Legendary Beasts of the Cardinal Directions sentai squad and the Brothers of the Peach Garden Oath alongside Morgan Kell, Star Colonel Dusk, and Bondsman Caesar Steiner.

Defiance Industries posted:

The Lyran Commonwealth IS a constitutional monarchy, just with a leader who has much wider powers than we're used to from contemporary governments of the time. The Articles of Acceptance draw up what the scope and restrictions are to the Archon's powers, noting fundamental rights of the citizens and guaranteeing autonomy to member worlds on some level. It also sets up the Estates General and delegates powers to them like ratifying new Archons when they take office. I wouldn't say their powers have been whittled away, though; the Estates General's most prominent power, control of the Lyran budget, isn't in the Articles but is a power they accumulated through tradition (a monarch's best friend, especially when House Steiner having exclusive dibs on the Archonship is just a tradition and not law). Legally speaking, the Archon's actions don't need to be ratified by the Estates General, but since the Archon's funding choices are "Ask the Estates General" or "Pay for it out of my own pocket" the E-G has acquired a fairly strong check on the Archon's power. Doesn't always work, but Constitutional Monarchies are often janky things.

Fair enough, you would know better than me, having actually grown up playing the game and read the sourcebooks and having the LyrCom as your favored faction instead of me just picking up bits and pieces from this thread and Sarna and other boards and general geek osmosis. Tradition and the power of the purse do count for a helluva lot in a neo-feudal systems of the government that BT tends to favor.

quote:

The FWL is pretty Federalist.

True, they also seem to have the only Parliament worthy of the name here, even if the Captain-General has all these Emergency Powers he can apparently use to force his will through, if what I picked up from this thread and others is correct.

Still, doesn't the FWL's federal system lead to the kind of factionalism, infighting, rivalries, backstabbing, and outright civil war when one part goes all NO gently caress YOU! :Marik: to all the others, which the FWL is kinda memetically infamous for, or is it actually not that bad in the actual setting?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What's the whole story with Skye being a separate entity on the map in this timeline? I know in Canon BT it has a very strong separititist sentiment so I would have to guess that they manage to actually pull off getting their freedom in this timeline.

Clovis Lestrade and actual Melissa Steiner (and not her body double Jeana Clay as we were originally led to believe) got married after like the 4th mission of this LP, a Loki run into Tharkad that was effectively a double cross, after he dithered with his dad, the Duke Aldo Lestrade, over where to hold the wedding. Originally, Duke Lestrade wanted to marry off his useless dwarf of a son to the nominal head of the LyrCom so he could be the literal man pulling the strings outright instead of just heavy handedly through the shadows while having Melissa on house arrest (for her "protection" after the death of her mom in an incident involving the Kell Hounds, of course), he's so smart, nothing can go wrong with this plan.

So Melissa and his not so useless idiot of a son pull off a fait accompli after their marriage on Summer to declare Skye independent, with the support of the Duchess of Furillo, who is mourning the supposed death of her son, Caesar Steiner, in action against the Steel Vipers on Somerset. As goes her, as goes Defiance Industries since she's a major shareholder, so DefHes is in as well, and the rest of Skye falls in with them. Aldo is outplayed by his son, since the reason they use for declaring independence is that Lestrade was running the realm into the ground ever since Katrina Steiner died. They decide to stay cordial with the rest of the LyrCom though, even if Lestrade is furious.

So he scrounges up another Steiner to rule through, picking Frederick Steiner, the man who would become the first ComStar Precentor Martial in the original timeline. Fred also outplays Lestrade, arresting him for corruption and malfeasance after he is crowned Archon with his help. The thread voted to keep their relations cordial between Skye and Fred's LyrCom, even if there is diplomatic pressure (and commercial in the form of the latest HOGARTH'S HEROES movie and a visit to Skye from Hogarth himself) for them to rejoin the fold.

It doesn't happen just yet, and I guess as of the time skip, it stil, hasn't happened even if relations continue to be real cordial between the two, what with the neo-Star League Defense Force formed out of Task Force Serpent chilling in Kerenskye. What with them being one of the founding members of the New Star League when Melissa/Jeana, Clovis, and Morgan Kell helped rescue Carlos Marik from the Cappies Society Divine Guardians of the Four Cardinal Directions sentai squad and the Brotherhood of the Peach Garden Oath and MOTHERFUCKING LU BU and other assorted Three Kingdoms namesakes, alongside Star Colonel Dusk of the Steel Vipers and her bondsman Caesar Steiner, who was the one who helped develop the King Cobra and trained the Task Force Serpent warriors on melee in preparation for "Steiner Rules duels".

Granted, this is all from memory, so I might've gotten some of the details mixed up a bit, but that's a general overview of why Skye is independent in the PTNverse. Someone correct me if I'm majorly off track.

Man, remembering that beginning bit on Tharkad makes me want to reread that mission. That exploding gas tank set off by jumpjets, the failed DFA on the train missing their optional objective, etc. The Carlos Marik rescue mission is also a good reread, as is HOGARTH'S HEROES and everything with the political votes concerning the creation of Skye. Now I need to reread a whole bunch of stuff...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Welp, looks like is thread is done then, long live the new thread.

• Locked thread