Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wow this caught fire pretty quick. I'd like to put myself down for a Mechwarrior slot (though I admit my knowledge of the rules is a bit rusty) and also throwing in a vote for the Kell Hounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also their fascination with totem-mechs plays into it although that could fall under the "special snowflake" category.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

... But unnecessary when you have the Mad Cat and Thor.

I just don't see why the Clans deal with non-Omni designs at all. Yeah, garrison troops, old warriors, whatever. Material used to make a standard mech is materials NOT used making an Omnimech, which ton for ton is pretty categorically better.

Probably out of reverence to their origins more than anything else

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I remember there being a project to make a 3D version of the board game (so basically a 3D MegaMek) but I think it fell apart.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm throwing in a vote for a Griffin

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, forgot to add that I have PMs. If an email would be more convenient I can supply one though.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

That would be the Axeman and Mauler, respectively if memory serves. The Mauler is pretty definitely a Kurita design and all the pilots were Steiners. The Axeman is in the 3050 TRO but IIRC the fluff says only experimental models were made before 3052 or something like that.

There was also the Bushwacker existing despite the show being set at a time where the mech wouldn't appear for at least another 5 years.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah at this point I'd have to second people saying that salvage is not a feasible objective. You're only here for recon and to get rid of J. Edgar Hoovertanks. Even if you downed a 'mech it's not like you could drag it back with you while under fire from the rest of his lancemates.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Mechcommander 1 and Mechwarrior 3 intros are my personal favorite BT-game-related intro sequences. Since WarLocke put up the first, here's the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm76b8tzzWI

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Calling something an anklebiter doesn't seem like much of a nickname. Until you remember that the ankles in question belong to mechs.

What book was this? I may have to give it a look.

This was Lethal Heritage (Book 1 of 3 of the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy) if I remember right.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just what we'd need, a clanner that makes Vlad Ward look reserved by comparison.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I for one welcome our new insect overlords.

But yeah, there is a point to be made that 'Mechs were industrial equipment first and weapons of war second. Some I could understand (forestry, mining) but agriculture? Not so much

Still though, I liked the Agro Mech Mk. II I had for the Dark Age game (yes I liked it for what it was) that had one of its arms replaced with a Gauss Rifle. :hellyeah:

Agent Interrobang posted:

Oh, and be sure to play music from Macross/Robotech at LAM and Warhammer pilots, too! :haw:

And Dougram-related music at Shadow Hawk and Battlemaster pilots, among others (yeah I know, there isn't much on that front).

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 27, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

You guys made me imagine Katherine Steiner-Davion as Daisy Duke. I hate you all.

See, I was going to say that the Kells would make better dukes of Hazzard simply for the Red Corsair shenanigans but now this has gone so out of control. :gonk:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

Edit: Yeah, it's apparently a Mad Cat II. Looks like it was a limited edition figure; I had another one that was unopened (until just a minute ago, anyway) and according to the dossier it comes with, that's what it's supposed to be. :ms:

Yeah it was a limited edition figure done for the at-the-time Tech Reviewer (and later EIC) of PC Gamer, Greg Vederman. I still have mine as well.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I also had two but for the life of me I can't remember why either. Sort of wish I held onto the second one given how the first one ended up snapping off at the hip. It's repairable but still.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
WarLocke I think you're mixing together Peter and Arthur Steiner-Davion there. Peter was the exiled one, Arthur was the one who may or may not have been blown up.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Guitar_Hero posted:

Couldn't they just use the Project Phoenix designs? I know the old-school Warhammer and the rest of them are pretty iconic, but if Harmony Gold are going to consistently be huge dicks about it...

They could if not for the fact that as a consequence most of the "Reseen" designs look almost nothing like their original counterparts, the Warhammer in particular being the most egregious example I can think of. Maybe I'm biased but something about the Reseen Warhammer just doesn't seem right.

Also knowing Harmony Gold they'd probably still bitch about it even if they were using the new designs.

Perhaps the biggest problem is that just about all the designs HG would be suing over are some of the most iconic designs for Mechwarrior (regardless of where they originally came from), and using their reseen versions would detract from it.

That's just my stance on it, I know a lot of people have advocated using the Reseen designs and while I can see their side of it, as long as third-party mods keep using the original designs I think there should at least be the attempt to break HG's grip on those designs.

EDIT: Terrible Page Snipe, here have a Project Phoenix Warhammer

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

I always rationalized all the games with "I am a 0/0 skilled deathgod behind a mech's controls. I am literally a mary sue character in the novels. All I touch turns to ash before me, and my shots almost always hit where they will do the most damage.

My lancemates are normal people." :v:

The corollary to this though is "until my character is horribly derailed in an expansion pack" :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The sad part is that I actually like Black Knight as an expansion pack, just not that one major aspect of the story. The revenge tale of a betrayed Merc Regiment? Awesome. The final set of missions? Really awesome. Dresari being a two-timing douchebag as bad as the people he had fought against to liberate the planet in the first place? Not so much.

Course, I could just like it because the Wolfhound and Black Knight battlemechs are in it. :shobon:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 31, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm waiting for him to describe the PPC fire. Just say "man-made lightning" as many times as possible.

And if someone's on the comm at the time they're firing it, include something about a crackle of static.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

Why wouldn't you just mount the damned Arrow IVs on a tracked artillery platform? Seriously? Why wouldn't you do that instead? And it's not even something you can take out, no, because neither Arrow IV is part of an Omnipod. :saddowns:

At least the Naga has the distinction of not looking really silly unlike some other dedicated fire support mechs like oh say, the Yeoman.

Hey guys I got a great idea, lets take the concept of the Catapult, slap on even more missiles, leave it with no close-range weaponry whatsoever, and make it look ridiculous to boot! :downs:

And this is from the same people who produced the Wraith, which is a mech that is apparently somewhat amazing. So how they went from that to the Yeoman is a mystery.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 1, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

I think Jaime/Jamie/whatever Wolf did at one point. Interestingly enough, both he and Morgan Kell pilot Archers.

Other pilots (like Phelan or Kai) are ridiculously good but don't get the magic "you can't target me" poo poo for whatever reason.

Patrick Kell also allegedly did it during his last fight.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If the dropship gets discovered I'm pretty sure it's well-armed enough to fend off most mech-based assaults, especially just a Hussar which it could probably leave as a scorch mark on the ground before it has a chance to radio in.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Because it is literally described as radar bending zen magic.

It also doesn't help that the only visual representation we've had of Null Sig is in Mech Assault which decided it was a goddamn cloaking device.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I liked the combined-arms stuff of MechAssault 2 as well. Also I didn't know that the WoB Dark Age mechs had cloaking.

The more I learn about Dark Age the worse I feel for having enjoyed it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Going to say A. There isn't much benefit to provoking a war with Liao and besides which we'll get to see just which threat Kurita thinks is worse.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Candace dead in this timeline though? I'm not really seeing how Hanse marrying a madwoman like Romano would benefit anybody in the long run.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Natural born children may be discouraged among the Clans, but sex itself is not. From what I understand through the books, sex is seen as a recreational activity with little in the way of strings attached, and even then the odds of the woman getting pregnant are slim (but of course it does happen, Diana Pryde for example). It's sort of similar to the way Brave New World approached the concept of sexual relationships.

Now of course I'm sure there would be homosexual interaction between clanners but I doubt it happens that much more often than it would anywhere else.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 2, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Voting for Camacho's Caballeros. I only read one book featuring them but it was so awesome. Taking out an entire WoB lance starting from on-foot? Not a problem :ese:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Somehow I've managed to not lose a single BT novel I own even through putting them in multiple boxes and the attic at least twice :smug:

Then again I don't really have anything pre-Twilight of the Clans save for the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy and Warrior: Riposte :smith:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't really get the hate for Ghost War. Ok yeah so our protagonist punches out an environmentalist, but to be perfectly honest if future PETA was getting on my case I'd be inclined to slug them too, especially if one of them took a swing at me first.Let's also not forget the environmentalists were trying to agitate a group of lumberjacks in a bar. That doesn't exactly sound like a smart move. Lastly given what we learn later in the book it seems a lot more like he's doing all this as his cover moreso than actually being a complete jerk

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Didn't PTN say something about the infantry surrendering if all mechs and vehicles were disabled?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Longinus00 posted:

Vehicles are such a joke. The only way it would be really scary is if they're either had AC20 tanks or LRM carriers.

Vehicles are a joke, yes, but an LRM barrage from an LRM carrier into your rear torso armor is still just as deadly as if it came from a mech. Heck any rear attack from a vehicle could be a problem. It was more just saying that just because PTN listed that lance you're going against doesn't necessarily mean it's the only mechanized element out there.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

I have a strong suspicion that Focht was loving with her TBH.

Well depending on when Focht decided Waterly was a crazy loon it's entirely possible. On the other hand based on what they saw plus further conflicts in which <REDACTED> would be seen, their crazy theory might have actually won out had Focht not met with the Clans.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

raverrn posted:

Wait, I thought laster heat sinks were just normal heat sinks. (See: Night Gyr)

No the Night Gyr was basically an experiment in Laser Heat Sinks, and designed as a test-bed for them. Then they found out that they really weren't as awesome as they thought (basically not producing any better results than the regular Double Heat Sink) and phased it out.

As for the difference, normal heat sinks use radiators and heat-conductive fluids, laser heat sinks use lasers to convert heat exhaust into a higher energy state, converting gas into light, and then expelling it in a garish display out through various polished surfaces. :science:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 8, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

He triggers it by having Kai's girlfriend just start pulling circuit boards out of the mech. Cause that can't go wrong.

The logic behind that was that it was basically disabling all the automatic safeties on the fusion reactor, but yeah it's pretty stupid.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Horrible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-G5HMg6f28

I knew what this would be and yet I clicked (and subsequently laughed).

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Knox I'm pretty sure honor is out the window when the people you're fighting have hostages.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm going with B, keeps options open. After all you can't put a dead person back on the throne if it turns out Romano was lying her rear end off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Voting A

• Locked thread