Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

raverrn posted:

Also, that game was much, much more fun when I was eight.

And we were playing two-player.

In that mode one player controls the legs and one controls the torso, quickly leading to fights about dodging and shooting. Aiming went out the windows as that bastard couldn't stand still for three seconds for you to lob a gauss rifle and he missed every single ammo puickup god damnit stop it's my game I decide what we do!

Yeah I remember that (I think I still have the cartridge lying around in fact), basically it turned the game into the last part of Twilight of the Clans IV only you're not piloting a LAM. Also I disagree with your video's assessment that we're not missing much from the audio. Now we won't get to hear "Gauze Rifle" :v:

Anyway voting Howling Dogs because gently caress yeah Wolfhound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

Counterpoint: Steel Vipers are really assholish enough to use a tiny breach of zellbrigen to go murder factory on everything in sight, canonwise. I dunno if that will still hold in this universe or in this exact situation. If the other players want to risk it, I am A+ cheerfully all in favor of focusing fire so as to NOT DIE HORRIBLY. How y'all other three four (including the tanker) feeling? If we do, we could either get into a better defensive position (those forested hills, or the NE woods) or stay about where we are to meet them en masse. Also, that Rommel with its AC/20 is our ace in the hole. Especially if the Clanners prefer shooting at our (comparatively) better armored mechs and give them a few free shots. Regardless, I'm moving three hexes north right now; I can change if need be, but that puts me in the best position to sortie through the northern exit and isn't terrible for an engagement inside our starting area either.

Yeah I'm going to agree that the Vipers would probably take any breach of zellbrigen as a huge affront and go kill-crazy.

On the other hand we have to remember our mechwarriors don't actually know what the hell any of that even means. Personally I was banking on heading for the trees to use them for cover and fire from there, also gives a chance to fall back to the start point if needed. But then again it has been 4 years since I last played Battletech and when I did it was when IS and Clan tech were on an even keel more or less.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Getting back to tactics for a moment here:

Mukaikubo posted:

O-kay. Tentative recommendation is that we Accept the duel to try to play for time. If the Banshee then moves to 1323, it'll break LOS with the Cobra and maybe buy us another turn if everyone else stays out of sight of wherever that B2 is going to move. That'd mean L4 staying where it is, and us other three sticking to our vertical road and waiting for someone to come through that top passageway at us.

I think we (or I guess I since I'm the Banshee pilot) should accept it as well. It is a medium mech challenging an assault after all. It's their funeral if they want to be that ballsy. Thing is though, accepting the duel and then ducking out of sight might enrage them a bit, or they might think we'd be setting up a trap (which we could very well be doing depending on how this goes).

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 25, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

IIRC, he just couldn't STAY there- it would just be to buy us one more turn. Sticking to the L1 ridge you're on and moving up like I outlined in the FIRE EVERYTHING plan would also work for fireworks this turn if you feel lucky about a piloting roll.

Well I wasn't expecting to stand still either. I guess ultimately even if I'd still be in cover I'd still be moving forward in acceptance.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

Angry_Ed, I have been requested to clarify this; the other choice I am talking about here would be running to hex 1421 and firing pretty much everything you have at him. You'd have a pretty decent to hit since that would put you in short range with your PPCs, and you would probably be able to do a serious amount of damage to the battle cobra- but you'd be really, really overheated. It's your choice on whether you want to start things out with a bang or hiding behind the building, but be aware that if you move into cover you may not have an easy time next round getting outside your PPCs' minimum range for firing. But it will gain us at least one extra round out of the 20 we need. I make no demands, just point out options I think might be viable.

I'm not entirely sure I want to do that though because of the heat curve and also because of the piloting roll necessary to do the running. Starting off things with a bang is a good idea but there's a lot running against it and I'd rather not risk sending the Banshee skidding across the pavement because I was too eager to engage.

But you have brought up a good point about the minimum PPC range problem I could run into, maybe it is worth taking the chance then.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 25, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ok I've thought it over and barring any loud objections I'm leaning now towards accepting the duel but using Mukaikubo's idea of running to hex 1421 and opening fire on the Battle Cobra. I know there's the risk involved of falling on the pavement but if I do what I was originally planning it pretty much takes my PPCs out of the fight because the Cobra would be able to close within minimum range.

I don't think I'm going to alpha-strike it though.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 25, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

Especially since Myndo Waterly instantly and completely accepted this as the clearly most likely situation.

Getting a complete loony to accept a completely loony idea isn't really that hard I would think.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That, or... I dunno, what book was that nonsense in?

Lethal Heritage, the first book in the Blood of Kerensky trilogy.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

Sure Yvonne likes him, but what kind of character reference is someone who gets scared almost as soon as big bro is gone and hands over the federated suns to Katrina Goddamned Steiner because people are saying mean things about her and she's afraid she'll screw up? :saddowns:

And yeah, it is revealing that the most eligible bachelor in the inner sphere could never do any better than "A Kurita who will almost never have to be in the same room as him personally" and "Sun-Tzu Liao's Sloppy Seconds". I mean, does he not shower or something?

e: also the dude's a loving dwarf, like 5'3 or something absurd

It's made worse by her handing it over to Katherine on the basis of false polls that she manipulated.

Also even if he is 5'3" I don't think we need to drag height into how much of a fuckup Victor is. Then again maybe I'm biased because I'm only 2 inches away from being that short.

EDIT: Though really I agree the biggest problem probably is that Hanse and Melissa really were pretty bad parents when your best candidate is Peter and the rest are incompetent, emotionally distraught, power-mad, or possibly Devlin Stone

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 25, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

Blackhawk-KU? Hell no, that's an Angry Bullfrog.

Extra points if pilots start painting :frogout: as noseart for it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
On the subject of whether or not the Rommel would break Zellbrigen, keep in mind we are fighting Steel Vipers and Steel Vipers are dicks. Take for example the Battle Cobra. This is an honor duel and the prick is hiding in a forest. :v:

Course I just realized we don't technically know what does and doesn't break Zellbrigen.

That said I'm just glad my initial exchange with the Battle Cobra was pretty even, and I still feel confident that, barring any more hits like that to my Right Torso, I should be able to win this fight.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

Banshee/Cyclops: Keep to 3-6 hexes of the enemy, try to keep moving at least 3 hexes a turn, and stay in cover if you possibly can. Good luck.

I still want to drag these honor duels out because frankly the longer we keep the clans from focusing their full firepower on us the better it is for us. That said I don't think I want to close with the Battle Cobra just yet necessarily, so would it be a good idea to walk backwards while firing in an effort to goad the Cobra's pilot into leaving the forest and coming after me? For that matter, does walking backwards incur pilot checks?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Magni posted:

In the big picture, of course, the whole invasion is more like the modern Netherlands or Belgium trying to invade 1939s Germany. Sure, they have a lot better toys, but they're outnumbered to hell and back (any one of the three FedSun Marches alone has a higher population than all the Clans combined just for example), have nowhere near the logistics or numbers to ever occupy the place and in the long run, they're doomed to getting slowly ground into dust, especially as the IS learns to cope better and starts upgrading their gear in turn.

They're basically coming in believing that if they reach Terra and lay claim to it, all the Houses will simply roll over and submit without any further fight. Yeah. Good luck with that, chumps. :iamafag:

As much as we may dislike him, I think Victor makes a good point in one of the books when he's talking to the IlKhan on Strana Mechty.

"What did you think you would do? Take Terra and send us all eviction notices?"

In a way the clans almost run on Star Wars logic. Blow up the Death Star and it's all over.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

I don't understand. Kali-Yama is in the FWL; why aren't they yelling "NO YOU SHUT UP!" I mean, usually when someone even starts to say it, everyone joins in out of reflex.

Well it is right there, sorta

Mary Annette posted:

"You're a goddamned liar."

"NO YOU SH-"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

I would note, however, that we probably aren't getting the whole picture in the canonical fluff about how the societies do actually work. The sourcebooks are all in-character and usually written from the POV of a warrior or someone associated closely with them, and in the novels we don't really see much of non-warrior Clanners. What we do see is very interesting. The scientists of many clans conspiring against the warriors to come up with their own genetic modification program. Scientists and techs that have their own 'labname' equivalents to warrior bloodnames, very unofficially. A clan that gets wiped out for not treating their merchants right. Families that work the same as Spheroid families do. One fluff bit in a sourcebook even talks about a merchant caste who becomes a warrior and gets to drive a battlemech, solely on ability. It's a lot of very tantalizing stuff that always makes me think that maybe, just maybe society under the warriors really IS like I'd like it to be... and then there are a few authors who have to be assholes and ruin my fond hopes with stupid stuff. :( No canon is free of a few dolts, though.

For what it's worth I thought the Ghost Bear Dominion could've been a pretty nice place for a non-warrior to live in. If I recall they basically left governance of the planets in the Dominion to the people already there and didn't interfere too much except in cases of defense. They also seemed to treat the lower castes with a degree of respect.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pity they don't exist, since the plans for them were in the Helm core that ComStar absconded with.

WOBBIES :argh:

Anyway regarding our little Thunderchild dilemma, depending on how the other side reacts to not being able to raise their mechwarrior on comms they might just declare him defeated and somebody else takes his place.

Then he wakes up, doesn't know what's going on, fires on the Cyclops and oh gently caress there goes zellbrigen.

I think we're pretty much up against a wall no matter what happens as far as this fight is concerned. Speaking of being against a wall, that's my current problem. Now I could advance on the Battle Cobra and try to light it up with everything that isn't a PPC, or I could try to duck back but I think either way I'm not getting the best of the exchange. I do know that standing still is definitely out of the question however.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tempest_56 posted:

I'll tell you this much - you're sure as hell not gonna win against him at range.

Well that and there's only so far I can back up so even if I could get more range I'd be pretty much cornered in less than 2 turns.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KnoxZone posted:

Obviously by proving yourselves as decent warriors the clanners will treat you with more respect. More respect means less weapons being bid away.

The other mechs have a lot of weapons.

At the same time if we prove ourselves as uncouth barbarians they will treat us with less respect and less respect means all weapons being used.

Against one target.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

raverrn posted:

From a fluff standpoint these are pretty experienced mechwarriors, and would probably know how long a mechwarrior is likely to stay out while uninjured. I.E. not long.

From what I understand though, at least in the books, there's really no way to tell how badly a mechwarrior could get hurt by a fall and it varies wildly depending on things like how the mech landed and so forth. So really there's no way of knowing that the Thunderchild pilot is knocked out, and even if there was we couldn't immediately think "oh he'll be awake momentarily"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

Stalker or Jenner, maybe, but there were not IS mechs in MW2 original.

There was the Jenner IIc however :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SageNytell posted:

That said, I am surprised there is no larger version of the Catapult, seems like a sensible sniper design.

The Longbow I'd say is probably the upscaled Catapult you'd be looking for. 2x LRM-20s, 2x LRM-5s, and 2x medium lasers (base configuration of course). In Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries you could make some pretty broken Missile Boat loadouts of it packing up to 4 CLRM-20s into the frame. There's also an official version that has 4 LRM-15s so needless to say even some of the official versions of the Longbow can be pretty powerful.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 30, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tempest_56 posted:

Ah, the Night Gyr. With what I still maintain is one of the dumbest technological advances yet - laser heat sinks. Which cool you by taking the heat generated by your lasers and turning them into more lasers that make you cooler instead of hotter for some reason. And makes your mech look like a goddamn disco ball.

Well you can actually cool things with lasers, as was discussed earlier in this thread (but don't worry I don't think anybody is expecting anybody to search 150+ pages to find that out), it's how scientists keep attempting to get something down to absolute zero.

Also lets be perfectly fair here, you can try to camouflage a 'mech but they're anywhere from 8-13 meters tall. Making one light up like a Christmas tree is probably not all that bad.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 30, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tempest_56 posted:

I fire a pair of Large Pulse Lasers. This generates 20 points of heat.

My laser heat sinks take that heat and convert it into lasers. This reduces my heat by 20 points.

This is like dousing yourself in gasoline to cool off.

The Laser Heat sink works by converting Infared Energy (heat) into light (lasers). Just because it's a laser doesn't mean it's a fuckoff beam of concentrated death. Otherwise laser pointers would require permits to use.

I'm not saying the science is 100% flawless and sound, but then again this is a universe where multistory war machines have supplanted battletanks.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've read all 5 of those and while they're of varying quality (subjectively speaking), I can safely say, without having read Far Country, that none of them are even half as bad as Far Country.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

Since my memory isn't very clear on it, I'll just assume you're correct. I honestly have no idea which book I mean then, or it could be several of them running together in my head. I know I've read ToV, but from your description none of that rings a bell at all. So I dunno what the gently caress.

But I'm pretty sure Illusions of Victory is the book that takes place around the arenas of Solaris.

Right?

Illusions of Victory is a Solaris book, yes.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I demand that, if this actually happens to one of the assault 'mechs, its IS codename should henceforth be "Benny Hill."

Alternately, "The Tramp."

Or possibly "Buster Keaton" if we could manage to drop a building on it at the same time.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well I'm really glad I went with my initial plan on this turn. Granted I'm down (but not out) and I definitely didn't expect to get so lucky as to shred the Battle Cobra's gyro.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm mostly having my confidence buoyed by the fact that the most damaged part of the Banshee right now is a part that doesn't have weapons on it. Still given the pounding it took from the Battle Cobra I'm expecting to go out in a blaze of glory trying to club the next challenger with my own severed arm :black101:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 31, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mastigophoran posted:

I, too, have created some vile fan art in this vein. (I am terrible at drawing :ssh:)

I have to say I really like the laser mandibles.

Also "laser mandibles" is fun to say.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well I'm guessing B5 is the Hellbringer (which I think we figured out earlier though) and B4 is a Crossbow since that's the only 65-ton missile boat that Clan Steel Viper uses. Unfortunately the Banshee has no range advantage against a Hellbringer and closing in negates the usage of my own PPCs but I think the ability to use everything else will make up for that.

Though I do not really expect the Banshee will survive this fight :smith:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 2, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
All we need now is a discussion on why Battletech and other western mecha is stupid for having open cockpits and GLORIOUS NIPPON is superior for their animes having the cockpits in the torso even though there's a good amount of shows you could point at that have open cockpits (including most obviously the ones that Battletech cribbed from like Dougram), and suddenly this thread will be a microcosm of 4chan's /m/ board.

Arglebargle is right, there's something about every futuristic mecha property that we can look at and say is dumb, and really, that's ok. It's not supposed to be 100% wholly realistic, that's why it's science fiction after all.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It just occured to me the pilot challenging the Wolfhound might not even be willing to offer Zellbrigen given that he considers the Wolfhound pilot cowardly for hiding in the forest.

So that said, either run for it or try to go for the weakly protected rear.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

anakha posted:

Exactly. Which is why the Wolfhound pilot's best chance may be to goad the Hellbringer pilot into handicapping himself in the name of zell.

Think he's fighting the (probable) Crossbow though since we're reasonably certain the Hellbringer challenged the Banshee. Also the pilot of said as-of-yet unidentified mech seems to consider the Wolfhound's pilot a coward and thus possibly beneath using zellbrigen.

I don't think it's necessarily within clan doctrine to use zell on a mech-by-mech basis but then again Steel Vipers are dicks.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 3, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Probably not the best possible but...

EDIT: made it smaller.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 3, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
...welp, at least I got the ID in before being unceremoniously beheaded. :smith:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The one thing we have going for us is the Hellbringer Lucerne has the same armor problem that its grandfather the Warhammer has. In that it doesn't have that much at all. I think a partial victory is still possible here but it'll be close.

Also I'm banking on a :black101: rage from Colonel Rossi upon confirming Kempfer died for what amounts to a game to the Clanners.

I'm still wondering if the survivors are going to have to re-enact the Clan prison break path from Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries at the end of all this or if they'll be taken bondsmen or maybe (slim chance) they're granted Hegira.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 5, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KnoxZone posted:

Based on the update, we know the Hellbringer has 20 armor in its arms and 30 in its legs. It certainly does not appear to be the fragile Hellbringer of canon.

...whoops, my bad :downs:

I blame being vaporized.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's going to be point-blank firing like the cover of the rules PDF.

Only probably more one-sided.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For a moment I was going to ask why the Delta variant has an active probe despite having no missile weapons but then I decided to look up with the Active Probe actually does (and not what the videogames say it does), and that helped make more sense of it. Still a bit confusing that the BAP behaves a bit differently in the games than it does in the tabletop.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Picked up the free MW4:Mercs and the Thunderchild makes for a vicious, vicious Solaris brawler right off the market, no adjustments necessary. Then again, the game is different enough from tabletop that you can pretty much get away with taking any 'Mech with the right hardpoints and turning it into a gigantic oversized (or miniature, with the Urbanmech) Hunchback and still escape most fights with nary a repair bill to fear. In singleplayer anyway.

This game has kind of skewed my perception of the actual tabletop mechs into something strange and bewildering to anyone who knows better.

Actually multiplayer really isn't much better and unless MekTek fixed balance I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of PPC and Gauss boats dominating multiplayer like they did when I played it (or tried to) a few months before the free version of Mercs came out.

Essentially people would load up the heaviest jump-capable mech with as many PPCs/Gauss Rifles/combinations thereof that they could and just hide behind a hill, jump up and fire on a target, usually one-shotting even the most hardy of assault mechs. Alternate strategies included doing more of the same only creating a missile boat instead. basically the idea was to ruin your opponent's aim so that if you didn't take them down in one shot you'd be able to follow up with the second before they had a chance to return fire.

Compare this with my first exposure to MW4 multiplayer which was on a crappy 56k modem and yet was still more enjoyable.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pimpmust posted:

Now I want a match to be goons in a company of tanks vs a lance of clanners :colbert:

Long as we get to field Demolishers and Alacorns. AC/20s and Gauss Rifles for all :black101:

• Locked thread