Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I also have a soft spot in my heart for the Behemoth / Stone Rhino for being a colossal middle finger to Harmony Gold.

I love the Behemoth for being a really good long ranged direct fire sniper sort of mech. Large Lasers, maybe some ERPPCs. Add in some extra heat sinks. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

So I suppose this means a headshot to the cockpit means no auto-eject? Poor engine joe... :smith:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Polaron posted:

Sorry, I've been incredibly sick the last couple of days. Working on my turn now.

EDIT: Turn in. Food poisoning bites, by the way. I do not recommend it.

Ouuuch. Yeah, I've had food poisoning before; I was out for a week. Hope you get better soon, and that it doesn't affect your piloting skills. ;) Thanks for getting your turn in.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Nevets posted:

It's nine o'clock on a Friday,
the regular lance marches in.
There's a old mech parked up next to me
spinnin' up his autocannon.

He says, lass can you crunch me a warhammer?
I'm not really sure what to roll.
But it's tall and it's mean
and a tough drat machine,
even after it fought Engine Joe.

Kick us a mech, with the Justice Foot!
Kick us a mech tonight!
Well we're all in the mood for a stompy crit,
and you've got the pilot roll right!

Billy loving Joel. I would be willing to buy this song. :golfclap:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Does this mean that poor Andre is going to be a part of the dispossessed after losing his father's mech? :ohdear:

Poor bastard. He lost a priceless family heirloom and now he's going to go from mechwarrior to hobo.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

Maybe he can get that salvaged Warhammer.

A 20-ton upgrade/promotion would be quite the feather in the cap for someone who got a mech shot out from under him. Still, maybe. I wouldn't want to see some poor goon bastard go hungry because of a lucky PPC to the ammo cache.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That's why I put all ammo in my HD and CT, and only once those are filled go for LT/RT, and I make sure to dump the ammo in those bins - the hard way - first thing.

Mechanically, that makes sense because if those sections go down, the mech is going down anyways. But story-wise, I thought it didn't make sense because an ammo explosion in CT or HD meant no possibility of ejection?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Apologies for the slower update pace this past week. Dragon Age II came out. It has been beaten. My update schedule should speed up again in the next day or so.

poo poo! I hated the simplification of the design, but I do have to say it looks really drat pretty. Too bad I'm completely broke. Was it any good?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Remind me in three months and I'll LP it. I genuinely liked the game for what it is, and it leaves me a lot of room to add narration and/or humor.

Working on the update now, incidentally.

gently caress yes. I'd love to see that.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

And that's two hidden units revealed this turn (the other reason I wanted clarification).

It's been really fun knowing you guys. I for one will miss the Caballeros. :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

It's looking like it's gonna be a sad, sad ride into the sunset. Dame Muerta, you will be missed.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

LeschNyhan posted:

A real white-knuckle scenario, for sure. Without the lucky hit on the Cataphract and the Foot of Justice on the Warhammer this would likely result in Bad End, I'd say.

It's already looking like a pretty god drat bittersweet ending if the Dama Muerta bites it, after all the Caballeros have done to save her and the remaining hostages. This is kind of depressing.

Engine Joe's sacrifice turned out to be worth so little....

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

It is a bit weird. The first battle took 10 days. I guess having more units to roll for makes it take a bit longer. Hopefully that doesn't deny us the chance of having crazy company sized goon units in the future.

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly did enjoy the larger and heavier conflict with all these units on the board. When the clans show up, I wonder if there'll be many people cheering for them?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

.....work and health issues have been kicking my rear end lately (in a literal sense, I overworked myself and collapsed about two weeks ago and spent a couple of hours in the hospital)

:stare: Yeah, uh. You might want to chill out a couple of turns. Don't want to overheat and have an ammo bin explosion. Where would this LP be, then?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Skinwalker and Zhukov. :)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I think I've played too much of the video games, because I can't help but be a firm supporter of the Davions. In this case though, I think the most interesting option would be B. Keeps options open, allows possibility for different scenarios to occur, while allowing Justin to actually do something possibly worthwhile.

Still a firm Davionist, though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Voting A. 2nd Donegal Guards.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You sadistic bastards. Let's at least see a decent fight between the goons and the clan. Voting SC, since it seems like SB isn't going to win.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Tripling the Power Rangers vote is fine. Some poor sod Mukaikubo! will end up with a Jagermech and will hate me for it.

Whhhhyyyyyyyyy?! I wanted a good fiiiigggght. :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

That was quite the Raocow imitation you have there, Poptarts.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Somebody get the name of that ballerina to the New Avalon Ballet team. :golfclap: One of the finest Mech-ballet performances I've seen all year, if not ever.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

That seems like a pretty.....okay round for the goons. Though now that I see what the Clanners are packing, it looks like it is going to end in tears.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The sergeant didn't seem to recognize the large pulse lasers. Does the IS not have pulse lasers in this time period or something?

Or was he just surprised by how hard they hit?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

raverrn posted:

I've got 20 shells and there's a 'mech within medium range. What's there to lose?

Breaking Zellbrigen and then allowing the Clan mechs to focus fire?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

I would like to reiterate, in the face of what you're all going to see next update, that I really did beat Poptarts for one of the two trials we played.

The second I got beat pretty much exactly as bad as I beat him first time 'round.

I hope this means some good news for the goon pilots coming up... :ohdear:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

That arm has clan ER mediums, Ferro-fibrous armor, endo-steel and double heat sinks. I propose the Wolfhound run it to Caesar immediately to make sure it gets reverse engineered by those hard-working, innovative engineers at Defiance Industries, who never quit working for you.

Clearly, this is the most logical idea....if the dropships can even take off.

The question is, is this the most awesome one?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^: It is called Hegira, I believe.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

landcollector posted:

So, B3 is a Mad Dog, a custom one at that. None of the variants listed on the wiki carry 2 Clan ER-PPCs. Sucks to be Mechwarrior Knox though; one bit of bad luck and he must leave the battlefield in disgrace. His career and honor will be long in recovering, if they ever do. His likely fate is transfer to a second-line posting and eventually a Solahama unit.

I vote that the Colonel take him as a bondsman, after being sufficiently dilatory to milk out as many turns as possible, to learn more about this curious society.

So they can better exploit its weaknesses.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

ERPPCs don't have a minimum range. :ssh:

Ooooooh poo poo. This is going to hurt like a boulder to the head.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

You get to pick the Inner Sphere name for a Clan Omnimech. Even if the 'real' name is later revealed, the Inner Sphere name will stick, just like it will with the Thunderchild.

What is the Thunderchild in canon, by the way? Is it a Nova? Nova Cat?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Because we're not playing Let's Playing 'Mechwarrior 5.

Edit: You'll also notice I have not once made reference to the circle-vision strip, so yes, I'm operating under the assumption that the cockpit controls make sense.

Too bad that last time I heard, development was still frozen because of Harmony Gold, eh?

It's too bad that the trailer being "actual gameplay" is almost certainly utter bullshit.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Actually, PTN made it quite clear (way back when,) that if someone gets Shoved off the map, they are considered defeated and disabled.

So yes, an arbitrary Shove off the map will defeat this Clanner if you knock him off the edge. But will it win the match? Not necessarily. Depends on whether or not the rest of the Steel Vipers take it in stride or if they spergrage harder than I did and throw Zell to the winds.

How would PoptartsNinja even write for that?

Okay so the dude got shoved out, and so he has an explosive heart attack and dies. :golfclap:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

There's always Bondsref, or even better, the MW2:Mercs response

What is bondsref? I'm sorry I have no idea how the clan bondsman system works.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I will be shocked if any of the combatants miss their targets this time around.

What the gently caress could this possible meaaaaaan? :f5: Oh man. GG, I think.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Impressing the clan while being "freebirths?"
Fighting the clan using their own rules?
Challenging a clanner to physical mech on mech combat in the middle of a raging inferno?
Fighting while only on one leg?

gently caress. Yeah. Despite the dire straits the Guards are in, this has got to be one of the most :black101: turns I've seen thus far. They don't even have to get partial victory now for me to feel proud of them.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

WarLocke posted:

That was a seriously, ridiculously awesome move. Did you think of it or was it all PTN fluff? :black101:

B4 is engaged, B5 is engaged, I've got no target unless we want to break this Clan honor duel crap. Although I'm tempted to light the Thunderchild up for engaging our tank after supposedly withdrawing.

Edit: to clarify, I'm leaning towards honoring the duel bullshit as long as possible to squeeze turns out, because it's obvious we don't have a loving chance if we piss them off and instigate a general melee.

If you can do it without breaking Clan Zellbrigen, and if you are within your rights to destroy the Thunderchild, then light that mech up like the 4th of July.

Then take him as bondsman.

Edit: Defiance Industries' idea is probably better, actually.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

WarLocke posted:

The best part is that a Zeus is nearly perfect for melee. Your right arms is basically a huge club with missile ports for crying out loud.

I'm thinking I'll make best speed toward B4 (through the woods to avoid pavement rolls and provide cover?) to support our Wolfhound and/or challenge B4 if he manages to pop the other leg. Right now I'm thinking of holding fire, but getting on the horn to call out that Thunderchild in front of Star Commander Dusk.

Thoughts?

Wouldn't the dezgra status of the tank make it not count for the purposes of breaking Zellbrigen? It may be possible that the Thunderchild pilot is allowed to vent his anger on some tank...

Edit: Excellent. Then DO IT. :)

Artificer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 8, 2011

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

This is somewhat offtopic, but I'm not sure where else I can ask:
Is there some sort of tech support or active fan communities online for mechwarrior games? I've looked at guides and installation tips and troubleshooting guides but I for the love of God cannot get Mechwarrior 2 (and expansions), 3 (and expansions), and 4 (and expansions) running on my computer, with or without DOSbox. I really want to get back into the mechwarrior games, but....I'm having problems.

Feel free to PM me if you're otherwise worried about cluttering the thread. :)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Thanks, guys. I have tried Mechwarrior 4: Mercs, courtesy of Mektek. Unfortunately recently an error message that includes "address something something string of numbers" keeps popping up after the beginning cinematic, and then the game immediately crashes.

Even fresh installs don't work anymore, despite being on a Windows 7 x64 system.

Where did you find the installer, by the way? This isn't talking about pirating, just in case anyone was interested; the game is legitimately free now.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

landcollector posted:

Well, at least the Wolfhound put up a good fight. Enough for the Clanner who destroyed it to take the player as a bondsman, even.

If PoptartsNinja hadn't said that he didn't want to have goons on both sides of the fight, I'd almost be sure that this is a way to get players on OpFor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Judging from that, it looks like Ghost Bear is the one with the least stupid gimmick. Is that why there seems to be so many fans of them?

• Locked thread