Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
If it's not too late, I'd like to sign up as a mechwarrior. I've had a Platinum upgrade for awhile now, so I may as well get some use out of it. I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the setting, but dammit, I know I love wrecking poo poo up in giant robots, and that's all I need to know. :colbert:

If voting for a unit is still open, Kell Hounds.

Mech choice vote is for the Griffin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I keep seeing people who're familiar with the system going on and on about how one lucky shot to your ammo will utterly destroy you.

Without getting into rules specifics, just how "lucky" would one have to be to even make that shot to begin with? Are we talking "the dice hate you" lucky or "the enemy can target and hit a specific spot like that with no trouble" lucky?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Closer to the first, until your armor's gone. Then it's "you are literally significantly risking death with every shot".

So not guaranteed, but more likely to occur the longer a battle is drawn out.

... I can work with that. Never did want to live forever.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I keep :f5:'ing this, hoping that our pilots have sent in their orders and that PTN's played out the next round of combat.

Is BattleTech always this slow, or does it just seem slow because it's being done on a message board as opposed to on a tabletop or in Megamek?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Legend goes that this used to be a hovertank design, until someone told the artist that they were short one mech.

So, legs and arms were haphazardly added.

I can believe that. That looks seriously unbalanced... not in a "this is statistically overpowered for its weight class" way, more like "a good, stiff breeze will knock this thing over" way. :psyduck:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Welp, this thread finally prompted me to go pull my plastic storage bin that has all my MechWarrior: Dark Age clicky-mechs out and look 'em over again. I realize a lot of fans of the old school rules hate 'em, but I always thought they were kinda neat. v:shobon:v

... Still trying to remember why the gently caress I have so many Northwind Highlander units, though... out of 60 mechs, 13 of 'em are Northwind Highlanders. :psyduck: :iiam:

I've also got all my vehicle and infantry units in a box somewhere, but I'm not gonna bother digging those out, 'cause nobody cares about vehicles & infantry. Plus, you know... :effort:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah, it really showed a strong lack of playtesting and too much eagerness to stick to the MageKnight mechanics IMO. I mean, if I move my tank two turns in a row it takes damage? Like, real damage?

I don't remember vehicles taking pushing damage, but then again, I don't remember much about the game itself period. I think I have a rulebook around here somewhere... might dig around and see if I can unearth it.

... I'm also trying to figure out what the hell one of these Mechs is. It's a House Liao unique character that doesn't have its unit type listed on the base. The pilot's name on the base is "The Vede" Vederman. All I can find on the BT wiki is that apparently Greg "The Vede" Vederman was born in 3099 and that's about it. Did a GIS and found it listed on a online gaming store as a Mad Cat II, but it appears to lack the LRMs pictured on the Wiki.

Edit: Yeah, it's apparently a Mad Cat II. Looks like it was a limited edition figure; I had another one that was unopened (until just a minute ago, anyway) and according to the dossier it comes with, that's what it's supposed to be. :ms:

Edit 2: Also found a rulebook from the first set and it turns out that, yes, vehicles take pushing damage. :psyduck: :wtc:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 28, 2011

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah it was a limited edition figure done for the at-the-time Tech Reviewer (and later EIC) of PC Gamer, Greg Vederman. I still have mine as well.

Oh yeah, now I remember.

... Now I need to try and remember why I have two of them. :psyduck:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

If I recall right, I think it was a mail-in offer and they were limited to a max of two per mail-in.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Oh dear... Death from Above. I don't remember much from ClickyMech, but I do remember that's not a term you want to be on the receiving end of. :ohdear:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

We are in bed with Hanse Davion right now. I think he will treat us well.

... All right, but only provided he remembers to keep his drat pants on while spooning. We have to retain some dignity here. :colbert:

So with our Griffin currently engaged in his duel and our Blackjack about to play kick the can with the Spider, what are the odds on our Jenner and Vulcan geting off some shots and hopefully either crippling or outright killing the Hussar before it gets away (on the assumption that it is trying to get away)?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Axe-man posted:

At least we aren't going to get a clicky version :v:

Again, the disdain for the clicky version puzzles me, especially after having read that blog post that paragon1 linked to which mentions that WizKids was founded by Jordan Weisman... the same guy who founded FASA. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Kell Hounds: Cylene Tactical Update 9

Combat Results:
A Griffin
Fires PPC at K4 (3 base + 0 stationary + 0 enemy movement + 2 medium range + 1 light woods = 6): Rolled 6, hit (Right Leg blown off, 8/16 armor remaining in Right Torso)!
Fires LRM10 at K4 (3 base + 0 stationary + 0 enemy movement + 2 medium range + 1 light woods = 6): Rolled 5, miss!
Generates 14 heat, sinks 12. Now at 4 residual heat.

(snip)

C Vulcan
Fires medium laser at K1 (4 base + 3 jumped + 4 enemy movement + 0 short range = 11): Rolled 11, hit (0/2 armor 4/7 structure remaining on Left Leg)! Critical chance!
Fires medium laser at K1 (4 base + 3 jumped + 4 enemy movement + 0 short range = 11): Rolled 3, miss!
Fires flamer at K1 (4 base + 3 jumped + 4 enemy movement + 0 short range = 11): Rolled 12, hit (2/4 armor remaining on center torso)!
Fires machine gun at K1 (4 base + 3 jumped + 4 enemy movement + 0 short range = 11): Rolled 10, miss!
Generates 11 heat, sinks 12. Now at 0 residual heat.

(snip)

Critical Chances
K1 Hussar 1 critical sustained in left leg! Lower Leg Actuator destroyed!
K1 Hussar piloting roll (5 base + 1 destroyed leg actuator = 6): Rolled 7, remains standing!

Combat Results
K4 Dragon falls into hex 1914! 2/16 armor remains on RT!
K4 Dragon disabled!

Qui audet adipiscitur. :smug:

I believe this this is an entirely appropriate reaction to this particular turn of events.

(And on an entirely unrelated note, is it bad that I keep reading "Wobbies" as "Wobblies"?)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

:toot: Victory Fanfare :toot:

As far as Kell Hounds MVP voting is concerned... it's a tossup between the Vulcan for being :black101: in taking out the Hussar or the Griffin for being :smug: enough to down that Dragon.

Kurita side, MVP is the Jenner, for having the decency to just die as soon as we looked at it funny. Or the Hussar... that little bastard was :moreevil:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Pinguliten posted:

Here is a link to a gallery with scans from the books. They're.... well different. Some look good while otheMY GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEIR FEET.

Anime Griffin vs. Anime Dragon

Really liking quite a few of these redesigns, but then again, I'm biased 'cause I'm a massive anime nerd.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Gonna vote A. We won those territories fair and square, dammit. It's not our fault ComStar's getting their panties in a twist about a bunch of pirates who discovered one or two old LostTech mechs. :colbert:

(Oh god, we're all gonna die horribly, aren't we? :gonk:)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Voting for F, the 17th Recon, Camacho’s Caballeros! ¡Vaya con dios! ¿Dónde está la casa del cuarto de baño? ¡Mi nombre es presidente, y tengo gusto del jamón!

Meanwhile, the FWL continues to remain divided as to the veracity of the final report of the GDL. We now go live to a dialogue between the FWL's two leading data analysts as they continue to their attempts to authenticate the footage. We join the debate already in progress.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Agent Interrobang posted:

So sign up for Camacho's Caballeros now, amigo! See what it's like to ride with the the 17th Recon Regiment, and see what you've been missing!

Your sales pitch intrigues me, and I wish to subscribe to your newletter.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

It is called a "ProtoMech" and not only do they all look dumb, but they're also lovely. I picked one that, like the Banshee, has a nipple gun.

... It looks like something out of Rifts. :psyduck:

And as a fan of Rifts, I don't mean that in a good way.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Agent Interrobang posted:

Man, seriously. Are the ponies just FOLLOWING ME HERE from the FIM thread?

Of course not... I've been here since the STO thread.

Someone linked to the first pony thread from that one or this one (I forget which). :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

WarLocke posted:

It really depends on the era. In level 1 (3025) rules, yeah, most of the knowledge about making new mech designs has been lost, people just run the factories that have been standing for the last 400 years. This is why nobody in their right mind attacks the actual factories, or engages in combat anywhere near them, because if you destroy one it's gone for good.

This is one of the things that always bugs the crap out of me about post-apocalyptic future settings. Technology becomes "lost" because society as a whole has become too :downs: to do any kind of investigating or researching into how this poo poo used to work back in the Before Time, in the Long Long Ago.

You have X number of old Factories. You don't know how to build them, but you know how to keep them running. Would it really throw the entire balance of power of the IS out of whack to turn one off and attempt to take it apart to figure out the inner workings? Yes, there's the distinct possibility you'll gently caress it up to the point where it'll never run again and you'll be stuck with X-1 factories for the rest of time. But isn't that risk worth the possibility of learning how to make your own factories?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

To be fair
Everytime someone tries reasearch, Comstar commands put an end to that poo poo

Ah, the old someone is deliberately suppressing the knowledge to keep themselves in power excuse. Eh, I suppose I can work with that.

At least until the GDL gets the Hel- ...oh, right. :ohdear:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

... So we've got three fungs, an old hard-rear end and a bruja (plus support crews and the Lady of Death herself)? I like those odds. :clint:

And with actual money riding on the outcome, no less. This is great stuff.

I'm also happy to see the Rifleman, because I recognized it as being from Robotech from Macross one of the "Unseen". :neckbeard:

LET'S MAKE THOSE CAPELLAN SONS OF BITCHES PAY! :ese: :ese: :ese: :ese: :ese:

Fake Edit: Oh snap... just saw the lineup PTN's throwing them up against. poo poo just got escalated. :ohdear:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Y'all are so (justifiably) paranoid.

Truly, you are the father of all lies and the uncle of all tricks.

Still, I don't think we're quite as screwed as people think we might be. Yes, there are still vehicles and infantry on the enemy side that PTN hasn't divulged yet, but there's also assets of our own we haven't been fully taking into account.

For starters, we have the Sapper. Once every other turn, he can either blow up some enemy infantry, or he can force an enemy mech to make a piloting check. We don't know what the enemy's piloting skills are like compared to ours (most likely comparable; worst case scenario, better) and I don't know what all failing a basic piloting check would mean in terms of game mechanics (if they fail, do they fall down or something?), but it's still worth noting that we have the ability to do so.

The 'Tech Platoon is another asset we start off with already on the field. SRM unit with anti-Mech training sounds like it'd best be used to provide cover for our long range units, try to keep the enemy from closing in on them. I'm not sure it'd be wise to attempt to use them against enemy infantry, or trying to move them in close to enemy lines, but we'll figure that out once we see the layout of the battlefield.

The Snipers show up on turn 4 and depending on how many infantry PTN's fielding on the Commandos' side, will most likely have their hands full trying to thin out their numbers. A well-placed sniper shot could also potentially cripple a vehicle, which could in turn give the mechs some breathing room.

Not really sure what to make of the Scout Company; anti-infantry with some anti-Mech capability starting on the 5th turn, needs to be in close to make a significant impact. Also, the fact that he mentioned they have smoke grenades leads me to wonder if they can be utilized to break enemy LOS or otherwise hamper their accuracy and force them to move when they would otherwise want to sit tight and unload. I think the main factor in how much of an impact they'll be able to make will be however they (and the snipers, for that matter) are deployed when the finally show up.

As far as Marisol's concerned, Distracting Tirade is the way to go. If we screw up and somehow manage to spectacularly miss with every single shot we fire (unlikely, but possible), that's a 50% chance of saving a hostage each turn; otherwise, it's a 16-17% chance. Mock and Berate's a bit more dicey... around 66-67% chance of her saving a hostage regardless of how much damage we do, but with a 33-34% chance of her getting :commissar:'d herself... after which we have a 100% of losing a hostage each turn. So it's all down to how lucky Polaron feels and how much PTN's dice love us.

So yeah, those are our non-Mech assets. They don't seem like much, but they're still assets; it all lies in just how well we can utilize them. :ese:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 3, 2011

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I'm half wondering if the Goblin and the APC might have infantry that are already embarked and just waiting for PTN to move them into position...

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

The Goblin had a squad load into it on turn 1.

Missed that part. What about the APC? I know he only listed 4 infantry units in his initial post and I don't recall seeing anything about any infantry mounting up in the APC. It just strikes me as odd that there's an APC at all but it's not being used to move troops yet.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

TildeATH posted:

The Atlas getting up early eating raw eggs...

The Atlas blasting some beef with its autocannon...

The Atlas running up some steps...

Set to "Gonna Fly Now" or "Eye of the Tiger"?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Considering it was originally written for Rocky III (they decided to go for Eye of the Tiger instead), this would also be an acceptable choice.

And let's see if we can't save Bunny Bear this time around; after all, this thread is about rewriting the history of the Inner Sphere is it not?

FOR BUNNY BEAR! ¡NO PUEDO HABLAR ESPAÑOL! :ese:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

hankor posted:

You guys should probably not worry that much about the chances of hitting planes, when in reality the DCs just ordered an artillery strike on the hostages.

Somehow I doubt they'd call in an artillery strike on the hostages when they could just as easily have their infantry gun them all down at once.

I have an idea where that artillery strike might be going, but I'm gonna keep it to myself for now in case it turns out I'm right. Which I'm probably not. Probably. :ohdear:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Question for those who've been doing the BattleTech thing forever: I've noticed people referring to pre-Clan Invasion mechs as being "Tech Level 1" and Clan Mechs and the LostTech ComStar releases to combat them as "Tech Level 2". How many tech levels are there total? Just those two?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Affi posted:

Will Battletech ever introduce aliens to stir things up and how do you feel about that.

Zerglings versus a Firestarter :smug:

This idea is not popular among the majority of BattleTech fandom, if what I've seen in this thread so far is any indication.

Apparently, part of the big appeal of the setting is the recurring theme of man's inhumanity towards man. Adding aliens would screw that up.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Tarquinn posted:

Actually, there are aliens in the BT universe. One book deals with them, in fact. However, the aliens are pretty primitive and the book is pretty bad.

It is also the only book I know of that features a LAM, so I guess it is close to being non-canon. :v:

Also, supposedly every time you mention that book, Santa Claus gets a tumor. Why do you hate Christmas. :saddowns:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The Merry Marauder posted:

In honor of Miller's Marauders, no doubt being mauled by some Clanner surats:

The General Motors MAD-3R Marauder

The first thing you're gonna notice about the General Motors Marauder is that long, powerful, proprietary GM Whirlwind Autocannon, standing erect and poised to slam streams of 50mm slugs into your target's vital spots. But magnificent as it is, that AC's not the limit of the Marauder's punishing armament! Twin Hellstar PPCs are holstered low on the gauntleted arms, giving you two-fisted gunslinging power! Linked and synced to the finely-tuned Dalban Hi-Rez fire control system, you'll be able to smack your enemies with double azure bolts of man-made lightning. For close-in work, in the unlikely event you need 'em, each PPC has a Magna Mk II Medium tucked underneath for that knife-range pocket-pistol surprise.

Because we know you'd rather dish it out than just sit there like a bitch and take it, we packed the Marauder full of weapons and equipment to let you do unto your enemy before he does unto you! But that beautiful Valiant Lamellor armor is top of the line. Its sleek, curving form, superior engineering, and trade-secret ablative capabilities mean you'll be shrugging off blows in bleeding-edge style!

The 300-series fusion plant, built by Vlar to GM specifications, lets you tear up the turf at an unbelievable 65 kph. You won't soon forget the first time you feel that engine roaring underneath you as all 75 tons vault forward, immediately responsive to your slightest command.

And elite commanders choose Marauders, not just because of the excellent long-range capability to reach out and ruin someone's day, but because the Dalban Micronics comm/ECM suite is practically lostech! Designed during the Star League, the Dalban will give you the flexibility and push power you need to get your boys operating with whipcrack efficiency.

For just 125,000 C-Bills more, you can take your choice of our RS or SS deluxe package, with a chrome decal on your Marauder's torso to show everyone you're a MechWarrior of style and discernment who ain't afraid to kick some rear end!

The GM Marauder! It's hot hot HOT!

I think the worst part of being in this thread with almost no knowledge of BattleTech/MechWarrior is that awesome posts like this are wasted on me... because I can't look at that mech without my brain automatically identifying it as a Zentradi command mech. :smith:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Thank you everyone for your tactical advice. I have decided to do the most Cabellero thing. I'm taking all the advice, printing each one off ona sheet of paper, and taping it to my wall. Then I shall drink enough tequila to make me in a happy place, bust out my nerf vulcan, and shoot at the wall. Whichever piece of advice has the msot dart impacts will be the one I choose.

In the immortal words of a great scientist, "I love this plan. I'm excited to be a part of it. Let's do it!"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hostage Situation: Tactical Update 5

End Phase:
Shaped Charge detonates!
K1 Karnov suffers motive system damage (immobilized), crashes into hex 1207
Satchel Charge detonates!
K2 Karnov cargo bay destroyed!
K2 Karnov flight crew killed!
K2 Karnov spirals out of control, crashes into hex 0704
K3 Stolen Karnov deploys Scout Snipers into hex 0709

Now that's how Caballeros roll! Commandos do it sneaky, but Caballeros do it with style! :ese:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Sweet Christ on toast, how is that Warhammer still standing after all that punishment?! :wtc: :gonk:

... Es el diablo. :stare:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Poptarts Ninja posted:

Mechwarrior Name: “Engine Joe” Running Wild
Mechwarrior Player: Red_Mage
Mechwarrior Status: Killed in Action

:smith:

... Put the rest of those fuckers in the ground, Caballeros. Do it for the children. Do it for Engine Joe.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Oh geeze, I love that one.

Their reaction at the end is priceless. They look around, realize everybody's fetishizing skulls, share an Important Look and come to the immediate and wordless conclusion of "leg it."

What is that from, anyway? Obviously it's some kind of black humor British comedy.

British sketch comedy show called That Mitchell and Webb Look.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Quick meta question for those who are BT veterans; I recall reading earlier in the thread that part of the reason why the Clans' weapons are so frighteningly accurate compared to the IS Mechs' is because the Clans have targeting computers.

So even though the IS pilots don't know about that yet, after they do end up with some Clan tech in their possession, how would the Clan pilots react if during a zellbrigen duel the IS pilots were to point out that the Clans' gunnery skills must be really lovely if they need a computer to do all their targeting and aiming for them?

Also, would it be possible for someone to compile a list of Clan terminology for those of us who don't speak "crazy star barbarian"? Not the comlang, that was easy enough to parse once I realized it was just portmanteaus of military jargon. I mean stuff like "zellbrigen" and "hegira". I still can't tell apart over half the high-ranking Clan characters mentioned so far due to them all having some variant of [prefix]Khan as their title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

People keep going on and on and on about the bloody REDACTED. I'm not scared of a blacked-out word. Give me a name that I can look up, or just get around to showing them off already. I realize they haven't been mentioned by name before now to build up suspense for when they're finally revealed, but at this point, people going REDACTED over and over again is having the opposite effect, at least for me.

In other words, as far as these so-called REDACTED are concerned, now's the time to put up or shut up. :colbert:

• Locked thread