Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Spencerb posted:

Welp. I guess that cements my status as LVP? I haven't even fired so much as a medium laser!

PoptartsNinja posted:

You're not out yet! ... Well, you're probably out, but you might pull something off.

Actually, if I may:

Trast posted:

Also the Wolfhound should challenge that Clanner to fight on one leg. :v:

Seriously, do this. Challenge the Clanner to fight on one leg, and then to ensure that he doesn't "accidentally" break zell like the Copperhead did, the Clanner should let one of the members of Gamma star blow his leg off.

Mechs can crawl, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

raverrn posted:

All I can think of when someone mentions 'mechs and Disney is this:

Is it bad that the first thing I thought upon seeing this image was "Who drew fanart of Zaodai as a Death Commando?"

Arquinsiel posted:

Also: I'll just leave this here.

No, YOU shut up!

Interesting site, though I have no idea what some of these posters mean. That said, I must admit this got a good laugh out of me.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I love how the Wolfhound refuses to go down without a fight, and has even managed to gain a little bit of respect after the Clanners were looking down on him for skulking around the edge of the battlefield instead of getting stuck in.

"I yield. I cannot defeat this Wolfhound. All I can do is destroy it. And that no longer holds my interest."

Yeah, that'll never happen, but dammit, I can dream. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

That makes me sad. It deserves a more :black101: ending.

Maybe if Knox is foolish enough to stand still long enough for them to recover from the stun, they can aim one last shot right between his Thunderchild's legs. :black101:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

So judging by all the talk of how the Naga's sole reason for being is to provide a lovely pillar of flame several miles high, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that it doesn't have CASE?

Enjoy your new coffin, Knox! You've certainly earned it! :byewhore:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

MJ12 posted:

No, like all Clan designs, it has weight-free slot-free CASE.

... Okay, now you guys are just trying to confuse me. I thought the whole point of having CASE was to prevent ammo explosions from completely obliterating the mech. Yet people keep saying the Nagas have a tendency to be destroyed when all that Arrow IV ammo they have goes sky high. So... what, is the Arrow IV system a separate system without CASE that was slapped on to the Naga's frame or something?

Seriously, help a goon out here.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

CASE doesn't prevent the ammo explosion from destroying all the criticals in a section. Now, that'll completely destroy the left or right torso and all slots contained within (and automatically blow off the attached arm). The Naga has an XL engine, which means it also takes two engine hits.

An Artillery hit to an engine spot is bad news; if it puts the pilot into a position where he has to eject, he dies instantly.

So in other words, CASE helps out most of the time, but there's just some situations where if your ammo gets hit, you're hosed, CASE or no CASE. Got it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Clearly, these Clanners have no conception of a proper Steiner Rules Duel. Looks like Lt. Clover...

:c00lbert:

... needs to put her foot down.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

e: Not to mention the clans do sometimes adapt after they get burned by IS bullshit enough times. That +1 TH modifier won't last forever if the Vipers actually learn to understand melee combat.

Given how deftly he handled the fight, I'd say this particular clanner understands it just fine.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

MVP for House Steiner: Lt. Sam Clover, for keeping hope alive until the bitter end.

MVP for Clan Steel Viper: Mechwarrior Drang, for turning the tide with a lucky headshot, for being willing to man up and fight under Steiner Rules, and for saving his new bondsman from being roasted alive

Honorable Mention for House Steiner: Everyone else. They all contributed far more than could have been expected of them, save the Banshee, and that was only due to bad luck.

Honorable Mention for Clan Steel Viper: Mechwarrior Azael for downing both the Wolfhound and the Cyclops.

Edit:

Zaodai posted:

But given that Dezgra Knox is part of a fighting force built around strict codes of honor and following orders and rules, he should have to face punishment for violating that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those same codes of honor basically state "gently caress non-Mechs, they're not worthy of the same honorable consideration as a Mech"?

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 18, 2011

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

landcollector posted:

Edit that post!

Bad Moon posted:

Edit to remove me being a moron.

Too late. :twisted:

Nah, I suspected what <REDACTED> were for awhile now, simply based on having known about the term <REDACTED> and its conspicuous absence from this thread after earlier posts. Confirmed it when the wiki entry on them mentioned a similar description to what others in this thread have said they do to Mechs.

That said, I've still never seen 'em in actual play, and stand by my statement that I'll only be impressed when I see results, and not a bunch of pansy freebirths quivering in terror at a blacked-out word, quiaff? :colbert:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Oh, forgot to vote. A: the dead shall have their due.

Angry_Ed posted:

And on one last note oh God Colonel Steiner what are you doing :ohdear:

He's doing what Colonel Steiner does best. :black101:

... I have no idea what that may be, given my limited knowledge of the setting, but no doubt it'll be awesome, judging by what everyone else in the thread has said about him. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Quoting this so I can find it later when we finally do see <Redacted> in action and you flip your poo poo.

You greatly underestimate my capacity to retain my composure in the face of overwhelming bullshit. :smug:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

landcollector posted:

"Oh, they don't look so tou-WTF, they just took that mech's leg off! :gonk:"

So what you're saying is I should be as afraid of <REDACTED> as I am of failing a pilot roll to move down a hill.

I'll try and keep that in mind.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mastigophoran posted:

Also the only compelling idea I had for Far Country was to carefully place a sheet of aluminium foil between each and every page, and then place it in a microwave.

What did that poor microwave ever do to you to deserve such an ignominious death? :ohdear:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Voting for A.

Also looking forward to seeing what Bobbin helped cook up, but it'll be there after this, and it's looking like ComStar is going to win anyway.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Remora posted:

As long as we get to play it later, I will switch my vote from C to A, and pray that, even though this is a rescue mission, there will be no opportunity for anyone to yell "Get to da DropShip! :black101:" Because Jesus Christ I will murder someone.

What about more telephone company-related humor? Is that permissible?

"Can you hear the Word of Blake now?!" *BOOM* "... Good!"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

So earlier on, people were alluding to the Clans brainwashing outsiders whom they take as bondsmen or something to that effect... would anyone care to go into detail on that?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Zaodai posted:

You're still suggesting they somehow psychically know whether the statue is destroyed by mechs or if it was destroyed by infantry/vehicles/whatever.

Actually, they'll probably figure out it was mechs because the PC's mechs are broadcasting fake comm chatter.

PoptartsNinja posted:

As his ‘Mech powered up, he knew his comm. system would start occasional broadcasts, simulating battlefield communications. It was encrypted—it was also garbage. He wouldn’t be speaking with the other members of Gulltoppr Lance. They all had a mission, however vague, and would fulfill it—or die in the attempt.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I would indeed be evil enough to do that to you.

Which means that there's not any in there. Otherwise he wouldn't have admitted to being evil enough to do it; instead, he would've made a noncommittal comment or ignored the question entirely.

Probably. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

They'll also be ten feet tall, and easily defeated by girls singing.

B-but Rick Hunter has already been taken prisoner... :ohdear:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

General Guidelines to Determine Lostech Status

1. Everything is lostech.
2. Even if something is not lostech, it's still lostech.

I think that about covers everything, yes?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Slaan posted:

You see those big, red circles next to you? They are probably, most likely, almost certainly, definitely not filled with explosive liquids.

You should jump of top of them.

The Commando can't jump, though. :(

Guess he'll just have to make some pretty lights with those SRMs and that Medium Laser instead. :3:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Welp, that's only about 4 million C-bills combined there. Better make with the property destruction to get to that 30 million total!

This is, of course, assuming that reinforcements don't show up. In which case it's possible that they could get away with doing less property damage.

But where's the fun in that? :black101:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Did our Commando pilot at least get his orders in? :ohdear:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Jeremiah Rose reminds me of that guy from that Dark Ages novel that was mentioned many months ago; you know, the one who beats up hippie chicks, then lectures them for having the audacity to protest against logging or some crazy bullshit along those lines.

I can't wait to see how this guy finally ends up getting his hands on a Mech. I expect it'll make me want to drive my skull through my desk. :downs:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hob_Gadling posted:

The bird-alien book is comparatively nice read compared to this drek.

I don't know; I'm holding out hope that this one at least ends with a better resolution than, "The author ran out of space, so the people who were the designated good guys just left and went to live on a different planet."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

If anyone else would like to murder Jeremiah Rose, please feel free to let me know.

I certainly wouldn't have a problem with you offing him in this alternate timeline you've created. I'm not quite sure on the timeline, but at the point the LP is currently at, he would still be working for ComStar, yes? If and when we finally get a shot at playing as the Clans, by all means, feel free to grant Mr. Rose his heart's desire. Let him face the Clans in glorious battle. In an Urbanmech.

Dominus Caedis posted:

The Assassin is actually fairly safe if he walks into that giant factory right next to him. It should hold up for quite a while.

Assuming the guys he's fighting don't decide to follow him in.

jng2058 posted:

... there is no bigger Mary Sue in literature today than Honor loving Harrington!

Anita Blake. I've never read any of the Anita Blake books, but I've heard things. Terrible, terrible things.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Thing is, they were probably going to include an "About the Author" page, but it got left on the cutting room floor by accident instead of one of those godawful emotionally-charged illustrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Stupid question from a guy who doesn't drink: you keep mentioning {type of alcohol) "cut with" (some other kind of liquid). What exactly does "cut with" mean in this context?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Things Accomplished: -1 (Rose failed to take a nap)

So... did he ever get those gunshot wounds treated off-screen? I note you failed to mention them in this chapter, so I was wondering if he might have finally done something sensible, or if the author just forgot about them like he's forgotten about a ton of other stuff.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Taerkar posted:

To put it simply the Clan LPL is bullshit. Absolute bullshit.

I thought that was the point of Clan tech in general. Got something relatively awesome? The Clans get it with half the weight, twice the power, and none of the drawbacks.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Well, let's see how that update turned ou-

:stare:

:psyduck:

:wtc:

... Goddrat.

I imagine it might have looked something like this.

I mean, I was expecting some collateral damage if you did blow up the refinery... but I certainly wasn't expecting that.

Calling it now, Valkyrie for MVP. Not sure anyone else is going to be able to top that, even taking into account that it also accidentally caused a shitload of damage to civilian stuff.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Not that it matters, but voting A. Somebody needs to get the damned Helm Core out of ComStar's hands, might as well be these guys.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ComGuards

"Can you hear the Word of Blake now?"

*BOOM*

"Good."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kai Katou, checking in.

So if I'm understanding this right, in addition to a few close combat weapons (which I'll need to be careful with using so as not to overheat), my Kintaro can attempt to "paint" a target and make allied missile attacks more accurate against that target, yes? And that I'm also probably going to want to keep to the dark side of the ship to help avoid potentially overheating?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

evilmiera posted:

I get back from a few days off for work and various other things, and you've already voted on the next scenario? Dangit, and it turned out be Com Guards :(

Yeah, but considering we only had three choices to pick from, one of which the votes would be cut in half for and is going to be available regardless, and one of which we've passed on twice now with this being the last chance for it, it was gonna be ComGuards no matter what. The third choice, the Marik one, seemed kinda weak on the surface; that's not to say PTN didn't have something awesome in mind, but I think he kind of steered the voting on this one towards the ComGuards scenario.

Leperflesh's prize from the Mystery Box is just an added bonus.

And I get to pilot the Haters Gonna Hate mech, which pleases me.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Orders are in. Let's burn this bastard down as fast as we can before his buddies show up.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Wish I'd seen that before sending in my orders.

Well, assuming I don't die horribly, I can always give it a go next turn. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Just want to make sure of something; the last Elemental from ?1 isn't actually swarming I3, he's just occupying the same space at the moment, correct?

• Locked thread