Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
drat, I go to sleep at the wrong time and lose my chance to get in as a Mech pilot. Alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

There'll be plenty of opportunities. I'll add you to the list.

Oh sweet, thanks man.

Also, if the voting is still open for faction (I didn't notice you call it as over, but it seems like everybody has stopped) I'll add a vote for Kell Hounds. 'untrained recruits' seems to fit us perfectly!

For mech, I'll vote for the Shadow Hawk.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I will be surprising everyone with an Urbanmech at some point in the LP.

By dropping it from orbit onto someone's Atlas?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Oh yeah, I guess I never got around to the email. You can get me at gothsheep0-at-yahoo-dot-com

EDIT:

Gah, what a terrible new page. Let me offer up one of my favorite mechs instead: The Project Phoenix Rifleman!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/d/d0/Rfl-8d_rifleman.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

RentACop posted:

Oh hey this thread looks great *reads thread* you fuckers picked the kell hounds I hate you all

Only because Wolf's Dragoons don't exist.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I say keep the machine gun. I for one want to see just how badly having a ton of machine gun ammo will screw you over!

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

This thread is sweet. I'm going to read along and maybe jump in the next one. I played Battletech a lot, but never played strategically. This was our break game from M:TG.

Does anybody have a link to these "new rules" that are referenced in the thread, as well as a strategic primer to make entry into the game less intense?

Na, PTN asked us to avoid mentioning any actual rules of the game in this thread to head off potential legal troubles.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

I'm pretty sure what he wants is to prevent us from literally spelling out the rules as people should be buying sourcebooks for that.

Anyway, Blinkman987 the book you're looking for is Total Warfare http://www.classicbattletech.com/index.php?action=products&mode=full&id=220. You can buy it directly from them or from your favorite reseller.

Oh yeah..Sorry, I thought that's what was being asked. I can read, honest. :saddowns:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Quick question. Those red dots on the enemy hexes: They show which way the enemy mechs are facing, right?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You might be able to use terrain to your advantage here, too.

If the enemy is traveling NE, then you can ambush those hovercrafts in the canyon around hex 2012. That'll pin them in so they can't flee to the side, and provide you cover from the mechs, forcing them to go around to get clear shots at you. If you're lucky, they'll spread out as their lighter stuff gets around to you first, letting you pick them off one at a time.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Oh hey, are you guys going to do that thing where you hide in the trees and then shut down so they don't spot you until you're ready to power up and kill them?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Did they ever move past the 'there are 4 types of mechs in the entire Sphere' thing they did with Centurions, Wolfhounds, Maulers and Axemen?

Yeah, at one point they doubled the number to like, 7!

Actually to be fair, every character did get a new mech, there's only so many new characters you can introduce in one season. They had to keep each character in the same mech consistantly..They had toys to market, after all.

The show was actually not terrible. Most BattleTech 'purists' actually dislike it because it took some liberties with canon. I forget what. I think it was something about one mech that was used in it that hadn't been invented at that point in the timeline, and another mech that was used wasn't available to the nation that used it or something.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I think you might be overestimating how uncommon the knowledge of those are - my greeness should be apparent, but I know what you are talking about.

At the same time my knowledge of BattleTech is pretty extensive, but I'm not sure what he's talking about. I can guess, but that defeats the vow of silence. And if I'm wrong, spoils other surprises.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Agent Interrobang posted:

She, but your point stands. :v: Even so, it will come as a surprise to some people, and will DEFINITELY be a surprise in narrative terms.

Sorry. A name like 'Cythereal' is kind of gender neutral, and 'he' is typically the safer guess.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

...you can fire an RAC at less than the maximum rate? :monocle:

(I'm only half joking.)

MW4 Mercs had bigger RACs. Let me tell you, a RAC-20 is just good clean family fun. It's also the "I Win" button in Solaris where short engagement distances and short fights are the rule. Seriously. Try it.

The MW4:Mercs thread on this forum taught me the real I-Win button for Solaris: The Annihilator with 4 LBX-AC/20 cannons.

EDIT:

Baww, new page again. Here, let met post another one of my favorite mechs: The Blood Asp!

Hopefully I won't get on probation for posting this one...

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 27, 2011

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I still like the Bane. 10 Ultra AC/2s. It may not actually hurt that much, but MAN will it annoy someone!

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Oh god, why are we not playing this. I cannot imagine anything more fun :D

Right about then, them Steiner boys knew they were in a whole heap a'trouble...

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

There is a RPG system set in the battletech universe. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Classic_BattleTech_RPG It was originally called "Mechwarrior" and I think the mech combat basically deferred to the regular battletech rules.

I've always wanted to run a game in that setting...Mostly because, as fun as mech combat may be, it's kind of a one-trick pony. You have giant robots, and they have giant robots. Sometimes they have vehicles and sometimes the terrain is a problem but the scenario is basically always the same.

Where-as on the ground you have options where you're fighting though military corridors, or defending against waves of boarding parties on a ship, or having a bar brawl on some dusty moon.

Combining the two always seemed like it would make an awesome game. Where you had to, say, shoot your way into a military compound, destroy the defenses, and then jump out of your mech, break into the main base to steal information off the central computer.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nevermind, you guys are lucky again.

Edit: Now to see if you are as unlucky as you are lucky.

This is going to be the best worst round ever, isn't it?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Strategy wise!

I don't know much about BattleTech, so sorry is this unsound for some reason, but it looks like CD can move one hex back to get get cover from that Spider, and have a clean shot to fry the back of the enemy Hussar with his weapons.

Meanwhile it looks like that Spider is standing at the peak of a tall hill, which should give everyone else LOS to pick him apart with any long range weapons they have?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

I'm not sure what you mean? The spider is no problem anyway, what you want to worry about is the 8 damage large laser the hussar has.

Yeah, but why expose yourself to fire when you don't need to?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

I don't see how mech D can move one step and get cover from anything. The spider is on a hill so can "see over" the treetops and therefore they don't block vision.

My point was that he should try to stay out of the line of fire of the hussar as the spider's weapons are more survivable with his low armor spread.

Neither would put him in range of the Hussar's weapons, but isn't that a hill right next to 0810 which would provide at least partial cover, while still keeping him aimed firmly at the Hussar's rear armor?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

hcenvirons posted:

A while back, when you guys were trying to figure out what the unknown Light was, a few people were saying that things wouldn't be too bad as long as it didn't turn out to be a Puma.

I ended up trying out one in MW4:Mercs now and man -- I see why people were so terrified of it. Normally I'd rush to Mediums or Heavy as fast as I could, but I've knocked out two planets with this thing. It's so fast and carries such heavy weapons in the default that I've been wrecking mediums and heavies without much problem.

If Griffin is in it I'll have to give that a spin. I know jack all about the lore, and following this is getting me to try some different mechs. And things besides Assaults.

I'm pretty sure the Puma is a clan design.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

The Casualty posted:

Ok the picture is funny but what's the context behind it? My knowledge of Battletech is casual at best.

I can field this.

There are two great houses that traditionally fought a lot until Hanse Davion secured an alliance between them. One is the Lyran Commonwealth, ruled by the family Steiner. They have fantastic industry, but questionable military commanders. Their solution to any military problem is to gather a big stack of the heaviest assault mechs they can and throw it at any problem they have.

The other is the Federated Suns, ruled by the family Davion. They have a strong military tradition, and the Davion family has a history of having fantastic military commanders, but they typically operate on a shoestring budget that leaves very little in the way of heavy forces.

Whenever the two would fight, the Steiner assault mechs would typically wander around, shaking their fists impudently at the Davion mediums off on the horizon, while the Davion mechs would out-maneuver them, blow past without ever engaging, and accomplish their objectives.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Guh? Steiner and Davion hadn't fought since the First Succession War.

I thought they fought off and on right up until the third succession war, when they joined up to form the Federated Commonwealth?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You're thinking about the Kathrine Steiner/Vlad Ward thing in the wrong light. I don't think he was going to invade because she wasn't given to him...I think he was going to make sure the clans didn't invade if she was.

Like, he didn't care. He was fine with another Clan invasion, but then they got the girl he was in love with, and he had one card to play, so he played it.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Dolash posted:

Apparently according to the Battletech wiki he went on to rule an entire country? The Lyrans? Not bad for a saturday morning cartoon character.

For a very short while. Adam Steiner pretty much devoted his entire life to fighting the Clans. During the FedCom Civil War, while all the rest of the Lyrans and FedSuns were fighting each other, Steiner was off basically leading an army to stop a second clan invasion by the Jade Falcons. When Katharine refused to send him any forces to stop it, he rallied mercenaries, pirates and some forces that Victor sent him, and turned them into an army that stopped the Jade Falcons cold.

Then later, during the Jihad, when Peter Steiner (The actual leader of the Lyran Commonwealth) was cut off by a Blakist siege, he abdicated the throne to Adam so the Commonwealth would not be weakened. Adam's first act as leader of the Commonwealth was to gather their remaining forces, roll and wreck the Blakist's poo poo, end the siege that had Peter pinned down, and put him back in charge.

The cartoon may not have been a sterling epic of storytelling, but I still think Adam Steiner was a pretty cool guy.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Actually, I want to see him justify the existence of the Wasp. Still, I'll take anything. :)

The Wasp! What, would you rather be on foot? I've got an infantry rifle right here buddy, so keep complaining!

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
No post here. Nooope.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 29, 2011

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

wargames posted:

Also MW4 Mercs is freeware now with extra mechs.

Stupidly overpowered mechs.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

wargames posted:

Hunchback 2c is the best.

Or that damned Annihilator loaded with LBX-AC/20s that you used to completely destroy everything in that multiplayer match we played....

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

No sweety, it's our fault, we just have to fight harder. He only hits us because he loves us. :saddowns:

That part of MW4:Mercs was awesome. Pounding through the jungle and beach with night vision on in (if you did the Solaris IV missions) a brand new Fafnir. That's usually around the part of the game where you're first really able to field a pair of heavy/assault lances, and poo poo gets real fast.

Looking back that game got pretty easy due to the ability to choose where your hits landed to a great degree. A telescopic sight and pair of Heavy Gauss Rifles were just a really unfair combination to throw at the AI. Once I got the Fafnir I would reload missions just to obliterate everything again. "Looks like I sniped your Star Commander's reactor core again trashbirth scum!" :smug:

And yeah getting the classic "Inner Sphere sucks" speech from that Jade Falcon woman made taking her as bondsman super satisfying.

I have a soft spot for Falcon. I always captured her Mad Cat Mk.II, rearmed it to standard specs and put her back in it.

However, I don't want to derail the thread to an MW4:Merc talk...Especially when Wargames still has a thread on that game.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

loving Blakists. How do they work?

Cyborgs. :geno:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I thought the Jihad was about trying to return the world to the dark age of technology where ComStar was the only one that could produce advanced tech, and take over that way.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

That's certainly what it became. Initially, though, a lot of those WarShips were intended as gifts I think. They were painted in Star League, not Word, colors.

Right, I'm just saying, it follows an overall story arc. First was the fall of the Star League and the dark age of technology, when nobody but ComStar remembered how this stuff worked. ComStar grew more and more cult-like as their tech took on pseudo-mystical properties, until they're literally killing anybody who could end the dark age.

Finally the Gray Death Legion pulls it off with the Helm Memory Core, and the Clan Invasion that follows forces ComStar into the role of defender of the Inner Sphere using their 'more advanced than the Inner Sphere but not quite as advanced as the Clans' technology. After that, the bulk of ComStar settles into the role of 'peacekeeper' in the Inner Sphere, becoming more worldly as their technology gets more widespread and understood, losing the mystical quality it had.

Finally those who still cling to the 'old ways' start to say 'Man, life was way better back during the Dark Age. Let's make that happen again,' and bam! Jihad.

As for their MO...Again, I've never actually read the books (or any BattleTech novels) but I thought they were kind of like the Shadows from Babylon 5, getting other people to start wars and using their tech mostly to make sure the wars were as destructive as possible.

EDIT ^^^^ Oh. I guess the way they were explained to me made them seem a lot more sinister and a lot less childish.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Agent Interrobang posted:

"Sup, Jaguars? Guess what: you're in our army now. Hope you guys love working for Wardens who are about to completely annihilate your former Clan! :haw:"

As far as the Clan warriors go, they probably do. Clan society is weird, but a bondsman tends to consider it more dishonorable to not jive with the attitude of your new leaders than to immediately turn on your old comrades and start those you fought side-by-side with.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Veyrall posted:

From the few books I ever read, it always seemed like the only people who gave two shits about Terra were the naive cannon fodder. The actual leaders and influential people all seemed to disregard it completely.

Well, the Clans really wanted Terra. That was their ultimate goal.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Why do you assume that's good luck and not bad luck? :f5:

I was thinking, considering his luck so far has been missing just about every shot, I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm kind of curious...Does anybody know what the piloting stats of some of the major FCs are?

Just for context I'm trying to find what the stats are for, like Victor Steiner, Kai Allard-Lao, Natasha Kerensky, and all of thems are. I can't find any reference to their actual stats in any of the books though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ The Steel Viper totem 'Mech is actually a 40 ton medium 'Mech called the Battle Cobra.

Adam Steiner: g2 p2
Aiden Pryde: g0 p0
Anastasius Focht: g1 p2
The Bounty Hunter: g0 p0
Dan Allard: g2 p3
Grayson Death Carlyle: g1 p1
Hohiro Kurita: g2 p3
Jamie Wolf: g0 p0
Jeremiah "I cheat and everyone still thinks I'm awesome, gently caress you" Rose: g1 p2
Kai Allard-Liao: g0 p0
Loren Jaffray: g4 p5
Marthe Pryde: g1 p2
Morgan Kell: g0 p0
Natasha Kerensky: g0 p0
Nicolai Malthus: g1 p2
Phelan Kell: g1 p1
Shin Yodama: g1 p1
Takashi Kurita: g4 p4
Theodore Kurita: g4 p4
Victor Steiner-Davion: g2 p4
Vlad Ward: g1 p2

Hanse Davion, Maximillian Liao, and quite a few others never got listed stats. An out-of-practice 'Mechwarrior (like Takashi Kurita) will generally revert to a 4/4 4/5 or so (4/5 is an 'average' pilot). Hanse Davion is most likely g2 p3

Geeze, that's a lot more 0/0s than I was expecting.

• Locked thread