Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I want to see some Kell Hounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I really don't see a problem here. The Dragon isn't going to do anything but trade long range shots with the Griffin, and the Vulcan can stand back up and get back into the fight. As long as the lights gang up on a target at a time they should be fine.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Why does everyone assume that there is some sort of radar bending zen magic in Battletech?

Isn't it much more feasible that they just have a piece of prototype Lostec?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The MW4:Mercs mission where you take out the Overlord dropship is also pretty big.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Donegaaaaaaaaal.

Let's go with Power Rangers. Oh god the sarna page references "penetration" like 3 times.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

What are neural implants? I thought that was what the helmets are for.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not that they know that yet. Or that the Clans care, since they're hoping to earn a Bloodname in 5 and be dead by 7-9.

If they're lame enough to need the crutch then sure they'll die that soon.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Is... that clanner hitting on her?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Dammit, this thread kinda makes me want to start a Let's Play Warhammer 40k thread. I've already figured out Logistics too. (Grid with each square representing 1 inch perhaps)

I would really love to see this.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Conveniently, Operation Himinbjörg translates literally to "Operation Gratuitous Umlaut".

It's the name of the castle of the Norse god Heimdallr. Given the context, probably a raid on ComStar for some juicy forbidden knowledge.

Obviously D is the best choice.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

"the only truly visible patch was the black spider adorning each ‘Mech"

Well this is mysterious.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

What's that? You want us to speculate?

Heimdall's probably here in mechs to threaten something using a lot of firepower, or protect something that needs a lot of firepower to protect. Since they're guerrillas / vigilantes /domestic terrorists it's probably the former but who knows.

They're doing it in disguise and with fail-safes because it either absolutely can't be traced back to them or absolutely needs to be this group blamed for it. They're doing it in light mechs because that's all they can get in or they need to move around a lot while they do it. Whoever or whatever LOKI is hanging around, they're probably really important.

Either way, there's going to be a big ruckus right near the core of the Lyrans and this should scare ComStar a little in the way of clan deep-strike forces. Even though they're apparently doing a really bad job of impersonating them.

Or I could be completely wrong and it's just an excuse for a spy-themed city fight.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

A Mackie? They look similar, even though the Mackie is pretty much the original mech.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Remember folks, a Mary Sue is defined by how the actions of others in the story revolve around them for completely no reason whatsoever. Christ, does he use his magic voice powers over the radio in a mech fight or something?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I've figured it out: this is a story about that rear end in a top hat NPC the heroes run into a couple of times who has been inexplicably lucky and extremely cocky the whole time, right up until he gets curb stomped in the fight he provokes.

Please say I'm right.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

Sooooo no, not much of a chance, no.

Don't worry, he can explode!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

On the plus side, if the entire enemy force lights up H4 and the building he's in we might just see the damage objective completed.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

There's go to be some way to scuttle your mech so badly that the enemy can't get it, thus triggering the explosives.

The bomb is 20 damage worth right?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Damocles Lance is a bit exceptional to start with since they basically have an entire mech factory following them and doing salvage and stuff. But yeah, you chew through a ton of clanners in that game.

It's still one of my favorite games, probably because of the MFB voice stuff.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Let's see how fast the clanners advance when LosTec becomes FoundTec.

A

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Oh come on. The ComGuards don't have a Champion -1N2 instead? Have fun sticking to the dark side.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm waiting for the partial cover to soak a few hits and then find out that PTN is tracking how much collateral damage is being done to the dropship's hull. Just in case enough shots are whiffed to start punching holes in it.

I don't think mech-scale weapons can do much to a space-worthy vessel that can handle re-entry with out some serious effort. Like, a lance of assaults serious.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Preechr posted:

Battletech does show its age, though. I remember Riva Allard talking about how the Helm memory core had a couple hundred kilobytes on Kearney-Fuchida Jumpdrive theory, or something, and that was just amazing.

A couple hundred kilobytes is a lot of plaintext though, and it's about jump drives.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

TerryLennox posted:

Oh god no. I've seen bad, BAAAAD stories of GMs pulling bullshit like allowing an enemy hacker to disable your Smartgun system and even some really devious ones claim that you could kill a street sam because their cyberware must have some interface port to control.

That's stupid. All that stuff is on his personal network, especially a street samurai's cyberware. It's protected just as much as his brain, and you have to crack his firewalls to do anything to it. And when you get root on his network, why not just wipe his brain instead? (Granted, a dedicated hacker will eventually crack any network, but the samurai has probably killed him by then)

MWLL is not hard to install. It is literally 4 steps:
- Install Crysis Warhead (which has Crysis Wars included)
- Go online in unmodded Wars and make an account with gamespy
- Install MWLL and patch
- Giant stompy robots

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

A good Game Master will just assume that the players are smart enough to have anything that doesn't absolutely need to be wireless set to forbid wireless connections. Therefor, to hack their cyber, they'd need hardware access, which is hard to get in a firefight.

Of course, most Smartgun Links in the 2070s are wireless, so you could easily gently caress with those. If only by jamming the signal.

A mean GM will not assume such things.

Even a smartlink should not be treated as a seperate device (since it is on his network). An adjacent wireless device may as well be wired, and you can use skintrodes if you're really worried.

Also, even if they plugged a cord into a port, it wouldn't get them anything but a "I don't know your ID, go get network access" message from whatever device. You have to do a cyber attack and beat his firewall first, at which point you can hit all his stuff (including his brain, which is a device) or take the device away from the network entirely (which is hard to do with cyberware, but easier to do with a smartlink, and slightly more difficult to do with his brain, although at that point you have likely tied him up and taken his gun as well as his commlink.)

Keep in mind that it is not impossible or even difficult to hack somebody's network. You just need to make an actual cyber attack using your stats and gear againts his stats and gear. If he is a thug and you are a hot-rocket hacker in the same club or even across the street you might be able to do it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

How do missiles work in vacuum? There's no atmosphere, so control surfaces are useless, and Battletech does not strike me as a setting in which munitions are guided by thrust-vectoring (which is probably lostech anyway).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Is there a reason that they can't just hit their jets while the magnets are on? They wouldn't go anywhere, but you would get a bunch of jet exhaust spraying out in a pretty uniform sphere (because there's no atmosphere).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Sair posted:

I was really hoping for an XL engine on that Guillotine. That would have been nice.

I thought only IS XL engines extended into the side torsos? Or do clan XLs just do it less?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Artificer posted:

I suppose. But IS's incredibly industrial and numerical advantage sort of negates that...

ComStar alone has enough industrial output to beat a couple clans, especially because they have the tech to make it a sort-of-fair fight. The Terra system is a very valuable place to own.

Also: Sucks so bad to be the Kintaro. Wouldn't that count as a breach, or does he have to take a crit there first?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Actually, if you're facing the dark area of space heat loss by radiation can be really impressive. Go to the desert at night and line a hole with aluminum foil, and you can make waterbottles explode by radiating heat into a cold sky.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I think Battletech just uses Myomer for everything that isn't a spinning motor. It is pretty cool stuff for moving things predictably.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Tarquinn posted:

Bah, any fortress can be taken. :black101:

Somebody reads too much Known Space stuff. Not that that's a bad thing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Flashman's Info Block posted:

Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 0

Comstar has all the best toys.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

TildeATH posted:

In other words, in humanity's grimdark future, knowledge about magnets is about seventeen degrees of lost. I bet they use little pieces of myomer to hold notes to refrigerators.

No, it's not. They have electricity, even on fairly backwater worlds, so they get magnets. That's entirely different from the kind of hot superconductor nonsense you need for a Gauss Rifle though.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The best part about Mech3 was the MFB voice actor. He had that "on top of things" tone right.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Casualty posted:

I tried to do an LP of MW2 and MW3 but I couldn't get either to run. It's probably even harder on Win7...

Mech3 can be made to run on Win7, it's just difficult. The first 4 or so missions are the buggiest, but after that it seems pretty good. Just stay away from ledges for the first bit.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Koorisch posted:

Tell me about it, when I reinstalled the game a while ago I could never get past the second level because the second missile platform you are supposed to destroy NEVER APPEARS!

It's just a empty space with a sensor blip that INSTAKILLS anything that touches it! :gonk:

Walk behind it. The AI will kick in and it will appear.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Zaodai posted:

It worked for us when we played North Korea in the women's world cup.

It's more likely that North Korea, being ruled by an insane dictator and about as belligerently tiny-aggressive as you can get, are just lying because they lost.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Sair posted:

Why would you want to make yourself roll all those location hits? :cry:

The point of the Kraken is already to get TACs and head hits from really far away. LB-X weapons make it better at that.

The actual problem with the Clan invasion is that the Clans are really good at fighting, but really bad at war. Because they don't do it, ever. The IS does nothing but war, because they're all squabbling dicks. It's like being a cop called to a domestic violence dispute, except the violent couple have lasers and missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I thought the whole point of the Hollander was to "be a mobile gauss rifle" that's not supposed to be shot at, and is cheap to replace if it is.

• Locked thread