Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Yay Federated Commonwealth! Let's go with the Kell Hounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

I just realized that I want in on the explody goodness. Sign me up as a pilot!

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

cafel posted:

I too would like to volunteer my self to be blown apart during my first attempt at the tabletop game. I would have posted yesterday if I'd realized how fast this thread would move. You can reach me at ilkhanfel at gmail dot com .

Knowing PTN's knack for stories this will be a thread to follow even if I can't directly participate.

Which is exactly why I'm staying involved, if only as an observer until I find my old BTech books.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

WarLocke posted:

I'd be much happier if they nullified all of it by simply changing the crap that leads up to it myself; make it a 'elseworlds' style spinoff. But that's probably my crotchety gamer self poking out.

I enjoyed the concept of the Dark Ages from a fluff perspective; it was a far more interesting choice than "oh no, another Clan is invading the Inner Sphere!" and the effective dissolution of the houses meant that there was an exciting sense of possibilities that I hadn't experienced. Of course, it all fell apart (and the game was crap), but I appreciate the intent when they first started.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

My only concern about this positioning (and I could be missing something obvious, but bear with me) is that the lance is getting very clustered up while the Snakes are spreading themselves out enough to facilitate a very nasty flank in the near future. Maybe moving the Griffin in the opposite direction to join up with the Jenner while the Blackjack and Vulcan concentrate their fire on the Kurita Jenner while trying to stay in at least partial cover from the Dragon?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Dolash posted:

So I looked it up after you guys mentioned it earlier and it looks like the clicky bases game isn't very popular with people who like Battletech? That's kind of too bad, I really enjoyed it as a kid and I liked the idea of fighting for a Republic with Paladins more than a bunch of squabbling nobles, even if the Paladins are autocratic.

Apparently there are a ton of books though. I'm always looking for some classic trashy fantasy/sci fi paperbacks to read, are there any good ones/good authours I should keep my eye open for? A friend who knew more warned me he only read one book of the "Dark Ages" period and it was about a douchy authour insert killing green peace activists and beating up feminists, I didn't like the sound of that.

The early books were halfway decent (at least I thought so), but as the Republic began to expand and solidify the writers had less and less to actually tell interesting stories about. I generally say read the first 5 or so, then let them pass by the wayside.

In terms of the game, yes it was a neat concept, but just as with the books it had a very small effective time frame; there's only so many "Taking out a warlord" concepts you can come up with before it becomes incredibly clear that the Republic is unstoppable and soon the entire Inner Sphere will sit under one banner. The great thing about classic BTech was that there was a strong sense of each house and so you never really felt that one could completely destroy another. Even when the Federated Commonwealth came into being the Clans were in full force and you still didn't feel like anyone had a huge upper hand over anyone else.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

I dig this plan for the most part, although I would have A move closer to D as support. D might be lucky enough to drop the Spider or the Hussar, but if not there's going to be a very big target on their chest.

Quick rule question though, while I understand the concept of High ground from a tactical mindset, wouldn't having a multi-story mech standing on a hill make it a better target, ergo incredibly incredibly vulnerable? The reason I ask is in theory I support Zaodai's suggestion that D move to 808 as opposed to next to the Spider but it doesn't seem like a huge improvement to the situation. Some clarification would be appreciated.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Magni posted:

That, or Poptarts could actually be writing down an OOB for the regiment, which we're not even close to filling currently. (Common IS structure is 4 Mechs per lance, 3 lances per company. A battalion is three companies plus command lance and a Regiment three Battalions plus command element, commonly ranging from another lance to another company. So, 124-132 Mechs overall.)

I hope that while we might circle out, each person who played gets to keep the mech pilot they played as so that when they come back they get a sense of continuity. (Of course this does lead to some unpleasant consequences if somebody dies...we'll see.)

Oh, I didn't mention when I signed up, I have PMs, so no need to worry about email on my account.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Wow...uh, yeah.

When I originally saw this design I thought "Oh, harvesting. Like harvesting trees or stone or suchlike. I bet that chainfist thing is modular so it can be replaced with a myriad of tools for whatever job is required."

But nope, it's a harvester. That's kind of pathetic.

elitebuster posted:

It would be awesome, but has the potential to end up giving characters in 'Mechs an advantage compared to those in vehicles. Also, what if one person gets an Atlas and doesn't share, or has to be out of town?

Well, it would be the pilot, not the mech so that nobody got screwed out of neat clanmechs or other wonderful machines of mass destruction later on down the road.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I love how the combine and the agromech are specifically called out for having high armor. Who gives a rats rear end about armor on a civilian commercial vehicle.

To be fair, I think Stackpole had a big fight between a bunch of Harvesters in one of the first Dark Ages books, I actually thought that was pretty cool.

Agent Interrobang posted:

Linked for appropriateness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAh_A7N3_mc

I was just thinking about that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Donald Duck has been kicked around far too much.

Caballeros get my vote!

• Locked thread