Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Applying to be a Mechwarrior. Tossing my vote in to Kell Hounds as well

Untried recruits kind of fits the whole Goons are playing dealio. I don't have PM so I can toss my email up whenever.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Any idea how much we would need to learn about the game system in order to function properly as pilots? Read a gamebook end to end or just a familiarity with the game world?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Agent Interrobang posted:

There has NEVER been a more appropriate time for this. Also: it's true, we DO. :swoon:

Thank you for saving me the trouble of posting just that.

Chicks dig giant robot cars :rock:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Most of the rules that are overly complicated i'm sure poptarts will do for you in the background, much of Battletech is placement and what to fire, where you are trying to hit and when you fire. The rest is dice rolls.

edit: I imagine most of the commands will be like this for even the most experienced player:

go to square [B,6] torso twist to the left, and fire my LRM 10 at the hermies ii
now laugh of the sucker who as the hermies ii

That being said, the explanation that miniatures are unnecessary has got me really wanting to pick up a rulebook, so covered either way!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

WarLocke posted:

^^^: If your computer can run Crysis Wars there's a MechWarrior total conversion that's supposed to be pretty awesome. I wouldn't know since I can't get it to run on my computer for some reason though. :argh:

I hate to say this, but it is an absolutely incredible game. It's essentially Mechwarrior, online with up to like 32 players. Including VTOLs and Tanks.

It's easily one of my favorite multiplayer games, besides some silly bugs involving hangers that pop up.

Nothing like taking down an assault mecha with a fast light.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

125 ton mech built so the clickytech guys could wave their cocks around and say SEE WE HAVE A BIGGERER AND BETTERER MECH, FORGET THAT OLD poo poo WE ARE THE NEW THING.

...it's not even a very good mech...

Looking at its design, how the hell does it move? Those legs do not seem built for maneuverability.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

WarLocke posted:

That thing reminds me of the random bullshit munchkin designs I would make up with my friends when we were 12. Like, I took a Phoenix Hawk chassis once and made up some rule to give it an energy blade or something.

Looking at that thing just makes me think 'anime'. 3 pilots? And how the hell would you move at anything approaching speed with a tripedal leg design?

It has something going for it as a deployable battle platform but it doesn't really seem like it's cost effective, since a standard assault could outgun and outmaneuver.

The whole 'It is also notable that, as a secret project, most of those MechWarriors are the research scientist's children or family and some also received training since their very childhood.' kind of coincides with the 'anime' thing.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Well in that case I want a Thug with an XL engine, a St. Ives Compact that isn't doomed, and a pony. :colbert:

Fine. Everything but the pony :colbert:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Exception: Marauder IIC and Warhammer IIC. Like the originals, but bigger and better.

WHINNY HAVOC, AND LET SLIP THE PONIES OF WAR! :black101:

As terribly hilarious as this is, I'm really hoping it doesn't catch on. :ohdear:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

WarLocke posted:

-epic picture-

And all my reservations, gone in a single hotlink.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Isn't there a light model with an ER PPC? I just remember using it on the aformentioned Crysis mod to great effect. Sure you can only fire once a minute, but you can down light mechs and you move pretty drat quick.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Speaking of which, I didn't notice it in the OP so I'm sorry if this has been mentioned, but is there a set date for the thread to begin in proper? Also would you like those of us without PMs to post our emails whenever/here?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'll need them when your turn comes up, and I'm going to give the voting at least 24 hours, even though the Kell Hounds have a pretty big lead. Right now, I'm working on balancing out some forces to make sure the first fight isn't a crushing victory for either side.

... Which is going to be difficult, because one of the 'Mechs I'm using only has 1.5 tons of armor.

Is it...is it a sedan or something? :confused:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Is there any turnbased game that is in tone with the Battletech series, preferable something with a campaign and decent AI?

Really want to get my mech strategy on, plus it'd be a nice warm up for the thread.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Tarquinn posted:

MissionForce: Cyberstorm and its sequels, maybe.

Yes! That was JUST the series I was trying to remember. Thank you. I think the world could really use a new one though.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
For those of you who are knowledge in the series and mechs, could you list a few choice for us loosely initiated to vote on?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Throwing in my vote for Trebuchet or Griffin then.

On a side question, can you poptart in this game? Is that in the mechanics?

IE using jumpjets to pop out from a mountain and shoot before safely dropping behind cover to reload heatsinks.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Drat, one of my (least) favorite strategies in the actiony mech games foiled (un)fortunately already.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
My email is adamcaverhill at gmail dot com

Realized I hadn't posted it! Hah.

Edit:

If I'm correct my mecha is http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Vulcan_(BattleMech) but instead of the autocannon I have

4x Medium Laser
1x Flamer
1x Machine Gun

Meaning long range is incredibly bad, but close-mid range is pretty deadly.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 22, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

Truthfully, your long range isn't all that much worse than before...

Was the autocannon just kind of mismatched with the rest of the loadout? Seems like it'd be good for a few shots while closing in but not much else once you got in there.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

TildeATH posted:

The Jenner's a murderbox and the Griffin does well in the back (both of its weapons have a minimum range). The other two are just your run-of-the-mill medium mechs. Using the Jenner to flank and the Griff as fire support while the other two hold the line should work well.

I expect to explode this mission : (

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I should really not be carrying ammo, that just screams first death.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Does the Vulcan carry a full ton of MG ammo? If so I strongly, strongly recommend you eject it in the first turn. Vulcans aren't exactly walking artillery pieces but that one single MG isn't likely to appreciably up your effectiveness. One the contrary, you'd have to fire it every turn for 200 turns (TWO HUNDRED TURNS) to go through a ton of ammo. And since you're relatively lightly armored and a critical to ammo does the entire potential damage amount of that ammo to the mech (no CASE yet, remember) you're looking at potentially 400 points of damage going off INSIDE your mech.

Not to mention that enough heat buildup has the chance to cook off ammo without a shot being fired, and you're carrying around a drat flamer...

Wow, can't I just carry like .1 tons of ammo? What's the minimum amount you can dump? I assume it has to be dropped in stacks/clips.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Does the weapon itself contain any ammunition? Or if I dump does that mean the weapon is pretty much useless.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Then I guess it's all or nothing! You only live once : D (and for those who don't dump ammunition live once very quickly?)

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

WarLocke posted:

I'm going to laugh if they get put up against a Dragon or Grand Dragon and then immediately post suggesting Pladdicus does a charge followed by turning his flamer on his own MG and hoping the blast takes out the other mech. :v:

I'm assuming it will go something like this. If I'm not messing up their aim with minimum range, I'm not trying. (reading up on those two I was expecting flamethrowers. That name is kind of misleading)

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Since we win initiative isn't it feasible that I could hug(1 range) pretty much any mech? (suicidally pending their support)

Just wondering if I understand initiative properly.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Dude, if you want to play Davion Heavy Guard just go Steiner. Their 3025 Assaults are like 1000 times better.

Anyway, holy poo poo one day and I miss all this. Still time for signups or did I miss that boat?

As far as I understand everyone who wants to will eventually get to play, pilots get cycled through.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Doesn't the MG fire multiple times in a single round? It's a rapid fire weapon.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Excellent! Email received, will be mulling over tactics. Just wanted to say, love the writing so far! Super excited.

Edit:You weren't kidding about rookie pilots!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Movement: 6/9/6

I assume that means 6 at slow movement, 9 at flank (which gives penalties to hit) and 6 jump?

Also, my heat sinks means I can shoot my four lasers without generating any heat? How much heat is generated by walking?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Actually, my plan was to eliminate the two mission objectives as soon as possible and then pull out. But, pending how that goes and the lancemates feel we could go for the total victory. But I don't know how the mission parameters fit that.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
The way I see it, I have two choices, I can take it slow, settle into some cover and wait for allies to catch up, then on Round 2 I can pop out, go all out on the tanks.

OR

I can charge ahead early and go all out on Round 1, leaving myself somewhat exposed. Of course, moving 9 hexes (though it'll be less due to terrain) should leave me a somewhat more difficult target for the 'mechs further back.

Tactical insight from the experienced?

To see if I have this right, if I move to 808 it'll cost

4=1(movement)+2(heavy woods)+1(elevation)?

Oh, is what I thought was heavy woods simply the hill?

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 23, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Those hovercraft are pretty well situated, defensively. You don't have many options to get a hit in on them first round. The terrain will eat your movement alive unless you jump, and your weapons ranges are kind of short. You could jump to, say, hex 1112 and fire everything at K5; you'd have to do nothing but flee next turn because you'd get nailed with some heat and there wouldn't be a GREAT chance of killing it outright first turn.

Disclaimer: I am not especially great at this game. :shobon:

Yeah I've just started doing the math. That terrain is terribly hard to manouver around. I guess it's option 1 either way.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Just realized what I thought was dense woods was just the designation for the elevation (right?) Meaning 0808 is just elevation 2. Or did I have it right originally?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Not opening fire until we've gotten into an ambush position, they haven't spotted me, so I'm going to take it easy and move up to 1314, take advantage of the tree cover until the assault begins proper.

Are they currently on the move? If so, at what rate are they moving?

I want to know if I should instead move to the opposite side of the inlet(river?)

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah. There's something to be said for the Jenner doing a big jump and gambling that he can at least cripple one of the primary objectives round one; most of the Kurita mechs aren't going to be in good position to shoot him immediately, so he'll have another round to jump back over the hill and back off. On the other hand, the Jenner's armor is light enough that even one hit could ruin his day, and the prospects of taking out the hovercraft aren't excellent. It all comes down to Pladdicus' judgment. :3

Specifically stated I haven't been spotted yet, so there's nothing to lose by taking it slow and getting into some kind of ambush position, I can start the fireworks if I get spotted, but until then, I might as well make my first real combat round count, instead of leaping in there like some kamikaze.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Considering they can only move through the water, I'm going to take position somewhere around 1712 until the fight begins proper, that way, if need be, I can head off any escape attempt.

If there are no objections, I'll plot movement!

Edit: Orders sent. if all is correct I'll be facing Southeast in 1207 (If this doesn't need spoiler tags or shouldn't be posted at all, lemme know.)

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 23, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Even if he jumps as close to K5 as possible, that's still a fairly long-range shot with his weaponry and he's gonna have a ton of penalties to his roll (from jumping). Plus you have the OpFor movement phase before he can fire, so K5 can just boogy out of range. It might not, being Kurita, but IMO either staying put or trying to creep up stealthily (lol mechs sneaking) while the rest of the lance rolls up is the better choice.

Not to mention the fact that the two tanks could probably take me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
What are the rules on backing up?

• Locked thread