Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Xmas Future posted:

You can back up as much as far as yor walking speed, and is treated as a walk for the movement accuracy penalty. I'm not sure what kind of rules are in play, but there are optional rules that require a piloting skill roll when backing up over an elevation change.

Excellent! I've been doing some duels on Megamek to get a hold of the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Edit: I am the Jenner Pilot - C

So I am as green as grass about mechwarrior, so I need some tactical advice on what the heck I should do. My instinct says to move south, using the hill as a screen until the situation develops. With my big jump distance I should be able to reposition quickly.

So I think I should Walk to 0409

Thoughts?

Also, do we have a concept of operations from out lieutenant :D

IMHO, operationally, we should aim to kill the entire hostile force - it's a counter recon, we need kill as many of their recon elements as we can.

Not sure if I misread the - C but I believe the Jenner is D, of course, if you knew that and the C meant something else, my apologies.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
My basic idea of the plan was that we would split outselves, half on 1513->1913 area, and the rest on the other side of the bank. Provided we weren't seen by about round 2, we engage, splitting our fire between the two tanks, then, if it is tactically viable, engage the rest of the enemy lance.

Unless we get spotted, then it's a mad dash to blow up those tanks fire at will kind of situation.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Right now sniping isn't an option with your build, both of you light mechs need to run screens meaning that you dash about and take shots when you can without exposing yourself completely. your range is possibly your biggest obsticale, you are a knife fighter, try to get behind them or draw them toward us, then flank them and shoot them in the back :cool:

The problem with that is that the enemy is split, getting behind the tanks means exposing our flanks to them. Me and him should take the ambush spot I'm moving to and you two can start the fighting, then he and I can follow up with that once the fightings started.

The basic idea is that we don't start firing until the a turn comes up in which we can all open fire, to take advantage of our element of surprise.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
C here, taking the upper path. Hold fire until A) We've been spotted or B)We get into position (meaning everyone can fire, or atleast 3/4ths of us.)

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Looking at the map, is anyone else expecting that we're hitting some kind of assault lances flank? I don't know, seems like there are far more off map or something :tinfoil:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have enough surprises in store for you in this fight that you don't really need to worry too much about blundering into an Atlas. If I pull too many punches, things'll be boring.

I'm surprised nobody's done a tactical analysis of the J. Edgar yet.

What, statistically? Weapon-wise? I'm not sure what's cool to post about and what's to be left alone.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

David Corbett posted:

I think it's the name. J. Edgar "Hover" is a tragic, tragic pun.

Bahaha! That's an amazing catch.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Ohoh, it's just a light. I'm suuuure it's absolutely noooothing to worry about. It's probably jus- OH GOD! A FIREMOTH(or other suitably dangerous light)!

Edit:Anyone know how to face yourself in Megamek? Like hotseat style?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Been doing some weapon tests, a full shot from the vulcan results almost 100% of the time in some kind of critical hit that halves their mobility, provided it connects with one of the flanks of the tank. Alternatively, it has a fair chance of immoblizing it, and if it's underweater, killing it outright.

If two of us can hit the lead tank in the same firing round, I'd say go for it, as long as its the lead one.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I've been doing further tests, we need to hit both before they start moving. Those tanks moving at flank speed means the attacker with a medium laser has to hit on a 10 or an 11, thats provided they themselves aren't flanking. But, if we hit them early we can hurt their speed, which greatly increases the speed in which we can kill them.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Hah, had to share this. I was doing some practice combat against two tanks with a Vulcan, first round I hit one, critical damage, it sinks and is destroyed, the other one spends a few rounds zipping around me and shooting before I immobolize it across a river. I decide to get behind it to finish it off safely, so I step into the water.

Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize my leg armor had been destroy, cue my leg being flooded with water and destroyed, me falling prone into the water while the actuators and gyros explode. I managed to hobble out and finish off the tank, but it was a a really narrow win from what could have been a great one.

Shameful, water is EVIL!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Axe-man posted:

We don't have the moves we pm to poptarts but we can try to organize here :)

Click here for the full 1139x1317 image.

Red is the projected path to the kill zone, C can go either way, as long as it draws the force toward the kill zone, represented by orange.

Purple is the movement we want from the opforce

the cyan is the most likely flank they will try to pull and that is why the long rangers can hang back in the area near where i put them. I like that central area, cause of the forests and hills will allow us to play cat and mouse if need be and best of all divide the forces with the terrian.

This is a good summary of the plan. Approach and play quiet until we get into position, then raise hell on the two tanks before assessing whether or not to go for the bonus mission.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

What no. That is a terrible plan. As your new Lance Commander I demand we utilize my new plan.

[PLAN]

You need to bravely charge the enemy mechs to draw their attention while we deal with the mission objectives. Acceptable casualties for a mission accomplished.

Original plan sounds good, sent my orders

Now if you excuse me, I need to reread the books. It has been decades since I last played BT and god if I can remember anything.

OIL FOR THE OIL GOD? :black101:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I'm going to twist and open a full salvo of firing on K5. No movement means I'll have a miniscule advantage to hitting them, even if it costs me some damage on my own, hitting them is priority. Everyone else should probably fire on K5 to take them down and move south to get into a firing position on K6. Though D should probably engage K6 instead of K5.

Any opinions, suggestions or advisements?

Edit

Scratch my plan, I'm going to move into its flank, and open fire, ending my turn with a most excellent kick.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 24, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

No Shots Fired? Does that mean we're at turn 2 or are we at the firing phase (remember when torso twisting was it's own phase)?

This is the hover tanks second movement, so this is turn 2. Firing phase was skipped.

It's a little different, the primary change is that he loses all initiative, so I assume everyone on the enemies side moves, and then we move.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 24, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I have it on good authority, that if I can get to its rear, with some decent luck, a full salvo and a kick that hits, I can kill it. With another mech(or two if they can't get to the other tank) assisting me, this tank is going down this round, or near deathed at the least!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
No no. Round 1 was

They all moved.

We moved.

Nobody was within shooting range of each other, firing phase skipped

Round 2 has done enemies movement.

Poptart should correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, tactically, a rear shot is ideal, if we destroy their rear armor, their ammo will explode, resulting in an instant kill. (I believe)

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Dux Supremus posted:

This isn't quite the impediment you might think it would be. They once tried to power a B-36 with a fission reactor, which weighs a lot more (from shielding) than even a neutron-spewing D-T reactor. Certainly it contains all the other fancy gadgets like servos and gyros you mentioned. As you say, the main thing is armor. But most mechs are supposedly sporting, what, less than 20 tonnes of the stuff? The USN's 64MJ railgun prototype can go through meters of armor from a hundred kilometers away, and USAF's ABL can drill through steel missile casings at a similar distance. Whatever a mech could haul around for protection wouldn't actually do it much good against dedicated mech-warfare weapons. So its armor is probably actually relatively light, because the mobility's more important.

Don't think about the technology too much, because the real question you should be asking yourself is why anybody would ever use a 15m tall walking target instead of a 4m tall minimal silhouette tank.

Because mechs get a free round to kick people up close.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Moving to 1707, facing the tank, firing a full salvo, and kicking.

Any alternative suggestions? Sending orders in an hour or so.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Axe-man posted:

I would suggest walking and keeping about 3 hexs from it, and then shooting until your heat limit is up. Kicking requires a piloting roll and will damage your leg armor, better to save the armor and just fire at it, since, it moved so much chances are low to hit, but if you do good chance to disable it. I've got some fire on it.

if we could get the griffin to get some fire on the other one we will have grouped our fire most effectively.

Hmm. The only thing is, if I can get to his rear, he can't fire back at me meaning I won't take any damage this round and it'll be poured on you A/B, who, lets face it, are much more likely to survive the rest of the fight.

Not to mention if I destroy his rear armor, it destroys his ammunition which means he'll be destroyed outright. A full salvo+kick is almost guaranteed to do this, pending rolls.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

^ The biggest problem with CM:SF is that it was just no fun when it first came out and was as buggy as crap (If I can see you, and you can see me, and you can shoot at me, why can I not shoot at you? Broken LOS model AHOY)

Anyway, no overwatch means going full rambo. I'm going to Run to 1114 (9 hexes of movement + 1 move + 1 hill climb), torso twist towards the hover tank and unload into the hover tank

Any plan that involves walking doesn't get me into short range, and I'm not even sure I still have LOS. This also means I am behind a light and heavy forest from the hostile mech firing positions. I might have an issue with K2 still, but hey.

Next turn I will jump jet back over the hill towards the rest of my lance.

@Pladdicus

If movement takes place simultaneously, how do you know this is going to work?

Movement doesn't, he has already moved, that is where he will end his turn.

Anyway, if I crunched the numbers right, he needs a 7 to hit me, provided half of his attacks hit that's something like 7 damage, if I don't move, he needs a six to hit me, hardly better then just getting up close to him. If I walk, I can hit him on 7's, but it'll be primarily damage to his sides I believe, and either way he'd still hit me on 6's (unless I moved out of range, but then my to hit is still 7)

It's about the same, except I get a kick at the end. With my average damage somewhere around 12 with about 3 hits I stand a good chance of damaging his engines badly, immobilizing him, or outright killing him.

Alternatively, you're right, I could just get distance, move into cover and take potshots letting you guys mop him up. But then I'd just be closer to the other half of the enemy, not a place that's ideal for me. Also, do kicks deal damage to my legs? I didn't read anything like that, and Megamek doesn't support that.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 24, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Tanks have turrets, which can fire in any direction.

Not strictly true, if you destroy his armor and all points of internal structure, you'll destroy the machine (ammo has nothing to do with it). Tanks use a different critical hit mechanic, however, so potentially quite a few hits can be 'criticals' and a roll of a 2 or a 12 (1:18 chance) has a very good chance of simply destroying the tank outright.

Ahh, I see. I'm using Megamek as a frame of reference for my statistics. So any misunderstandings on my part might stem from A)Inexperience or B)Differences between the used system.

(As for the turret thing, I just never tried to twist it all the way around. But yes! Lesson learned. Thanks!)

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Maybe Pladdicus could move the Vulcan to the water in 1310 and then we have the hoovertank in a vice?

That move would also put him in the water for improved heat dissipation, and enables him to react to a move up the river or into the northern sector, while he is screened by the hills and forests.

Excellent idea! I could hit K6 with you while the others got for K5

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

If a piloting roll into the water is too risky, then Pladdicus walking to 1209 offers many of the same advantages (he's behind the hill), but he has to fire at medium range.

I don't know enough of the rules to do the risk/reward analysis, though I suspect the land square is better unless his mech has massive heat issues.

Comedy option attack: Do a death for above with jump jets on the lower hoovertank.

I could move into 1411, with a flank. Not a terribly bad idea, gives me some dodging abilities, still risky, but gets me in firing range.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I think you are one square of movement short because you have to walk uphill?

2 Squares to walk to 1408

1 Square to turn

2 Squares to walk to 1409

1 Square to walk to 1410

Making you 1 square of movement short, or I am missing something, which is more likely.

Mostly because I can move 9 if I flank. And it's 9 altogether. +2 to move UP two, not just 1 for any elevation change.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

Don't forget arrow IV homing, narc missles, artemis iv.

Actually that would be a pretty bad idea as it means the dragon and spider can shoot you.

What's their maximum range? I'd still like to pull it off, maybe in another position

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, I should also mention: you can only go up single elevation levels at a time; so that +2 cliff is actually impassable unless you want to try to climb up it. With a 'Mech that has no hands. Risking a height 2 fall in the process.

... in other words, I really wouldn't recommend trying to scale a cliff as tall as your 'Mech. The terrain around here is intentionally pretty tricky--it slows down scouts, so it's a great landing zone--but it also slows down counter-scouts.

Oooh. I thought mechs could move +2, didn't know there was some kind of climb attempt. Nevermind that.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

Maximum range isn't an issue. The dragon could hit your right now if everything were perfectly flat. Remember to take into account intervening terrain.

Ah, so I have to make sure to stay out of LOS. Gotcha. Didn't know if it was armed in a lot of medium lasers or whatever.

Could move to 1209 and open fire on K6.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Ah poo poo, that means it can break out at 0910 and 1009 so we have to wax it this turn, otherwise the pain begins.

It probably won't retreat unless we really hurt it, this is Kurita. And if we really hurt it, it probably -can't- retreat and will go all out for glory.

I think.

Edit: Either way, lets kill the sumbitch this turn.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Those two squares, I think, let it get off the edge of the map before we can cut it off, which in a counter recon scenario is really bad.

Edit: Actually we can both jump jet back and give him another round of what for.

But yeah, lets shoot the poo poo out of him and hope the problem solves itself.

The cool thing about hitting tanks, is even if we don't kill it this round, the odds are high we will A)Bust down its MP to like, 4. B)Immobilize it C)Stun the crew

There is a D choice of all or some of the above. So, lets get into position and shoot, let the other two worry about the other tank.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Anyway we could know what the rolls were? I'd like to know if I overlooked something or if I just had poor luck.

Also that plan seems fine, lets me get some move and stay out of LOS against the enemies for this round (I think all of them) Free shooting on that mech.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Okay, cool that's about all I needed to know :)

Edit: Provided you think I'm moving over the hill, yeah. That works (the hill is much less MP, mostly due to facing)
Edit2: My end spot in that case is 1707, which works nicely for me.

What is D doing there? (Nevermind, answered)

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 24, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

This is the plan I'd go with, though I would probably swing D further south to flank. The Jenner's isolated already, so might as well try to at least ID that unknown contact. It's fast and agile enough that it should be able to survive for a turn or two before there's any real trouble. Unless the Dragon kicks it in half (which is unlikely).

I'd rather Jenner get out of there, we do better keeping him alive until we can A) Retreat after primary is completed or B)We can consolidate our fire on the Dragon.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Axe-man posted:

if you could get to 1906 somehow that would let you be completely safe (heavy trees + light trees = no shot from the dragon)

Alas, tis impossible I believe. Unless one can jumpjet and move.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Trast posted:

That was gloriously cheesy.

I died at the green laser part. Oh my.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

So I felt bored and used megamek to do a Jenner vs Spider battle for the hell of it.

On turn 1 the Jenner slipped in Depth 1 water and died.

Confidence, I am now filled with it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

AtlantisMantis posted:

Hey man, just avoid the car wash and you'll be fine.

"What do you mean my mech can't dog paddle."

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Woohoo! I say we go for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Artificer posted:

I hope you mean the secondary objective, and not the one on one duel. That was a very nice shot, though. :)

Both of course, though certainly we don't honor the duel, just use it to lure the Dragon while we clean up the rest of the mechs on the field.

• Locked thread