Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I vote Kell Hounds and would like to be a Mechwarrior. I don't have PMs so I can give you an email address when it's time to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I almost voted Grey Death Legion but..Well..Kell Hounds. Kell Hounds rock.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

WarLocke posted:

"Locust-ball"?

Kick-The-Urbanmech.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Agent Interrobang posted:

Besides, everyone knows the best OmniMech is the Summoner. :colbert:

Warhawk, darn it. Or the Marauder IIC.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Wait wait. I have the perfect name for it: Rasalhague Ball! :D

IIC models are not Omnis.

Doh.

Been a long, long time since I did any Battleteching, clearly. :shobon:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I loved playing the Mech Pods they had at Circle Center Mall here in Indianapolis.

They're gone now. :(

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

WarLocke posted:

Sometimes you can still find them at Dave and Buster's, I think they bought up all the pods (that weren't already sold to rich gently caress private collecters) when VWE went under.

I also get sad when I think about MechWarrior 5 and how it'll probably never come out. :(

Harmony Gooooold :argh:

How much money are they POSSIBLY making squatting on the rights to those designs at this point?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

WarLocke posted:

So a Goliath then?

(Quad 'mechs yay :downs:)

Gods. Just put treads on it and make a tank at that point!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Pity it doesn't exist until 3050.

Alternate history, maaaan! We're through the looking glass! It could exist at any time!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Oh, I forgot to do this (I had to clean up my mailbox before I started doing this).

Poptarts Ninja, my e-mail address is now edited out. Looking forward to my turn!

Polaron fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 25, 2011

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Say what you will about the Battleaxe's armor issues, but it looks really cool and hits like a freight train. I remember using one to kill a Timber Wolf once (lucky, lucky, lucky rolls on my part, granted).

And yes, my GM was a jerk for sending me against a Timber Wolf.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

WarLocke posted:

Did they ever move past the 'there are 4 types of mechs in the entire Sphere' thing they did with Centurions, Wolfhounds, Maulers and Axemen?

I'm pretty sure that show is the reason I love Axmen and Maulers so much. I had both of the toys. :downs:

(Granted, I also have the Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman and..Er..Archer?..From the short-lived Robotech Exosquad line)

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Arglebargle III posted:

Does anyone else wonder what the hell they're using for "tons" in the 4th millenium? Mechs are just too goddamn big to only weigh 30-100 tons. An M1 Abrams weighs 60 tons... I'm fairly sure a heavy mech is several times larger than that.

Unless mechs are made of snowflakes and angel feathers, they better have a different definition of "ton" in futureland.

edit: J. Edgar Hoovertank? Really?

:ughh:

Or they're made out of some metal that's really light yet strong. Just because they're bigger doesn't mean they're heavier.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, she IS their cousin. It would be accurate.

Who, then, is Boss Hogg?

Hanse.

And man, this is making me nostalgia so hard for the last time I played Battletech.

Well, KINDA played Battletech. We had the hex map and everything, but our GM combined it with some Dungeons and Dragons-like system and had us RPing outside of the Mechs almost as often as we were inside of them. It was awesome, and ended with my Mechwarrior in a modified Mauler headshotting the ilKhan of Clan Jade Falcon, on their homeworld, halfway through his 'The Reason You Inner Sphere Freebirths Suck' speech.

That said, the system he used was different enough from what PTN is using that I'm probably going to have to ask some silly questions when I finally get behind the seat of a Mech. My GM abstracted a lot of things..More than I really realized.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Longinus00 posted:

There is a RPG system set in the battletech universe. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Classic_BattleTech_RPG It was originally called "Mechwarrior" and I think the mech combat basically deferred to the regular battletech rules.

Hmm. That may very well have been what he used.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Axe-man posted:

The emperor of man is actually Kai Allard-Liao!

Fixed that for you :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Man, you guys saying machine guns were worthless in Mechwarrior games clearly never tried them in Mechwarrior 3. I once loaded twelve to sixteen of them (don't remember the exact number) into a Vulture. Because of how light they were, I was also able to give it a maximum-sized engine (allowing me to run about 120 kph), max armor, an AMS, a targeting computer, and one of those things that disrupts missile locks.

The thing was a buzzsaw. And since it was a Vulture chassis, everyone's natural inclination was to close with it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I vote A. Hanse is cunning, so he should realize that pissing off ComStar is a really, really bad idea. Let the other guys do it and get screwed by ComStar's response.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Voting for Miller's Marauders because my last name is Miller and I love Marauders :colbert:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Ugh. Why does everyone want to play Death Commandos, they're giant assholes.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Changing my vote to the Caballeros, just on the off-chance it'll help.

Because Liao sucks and needs to get conquered by everyone else.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
In other words, they were designed by a thirteen year old.

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE WANT TO WATCH US PLAY AS THEM?! :saddowns:

(Yes, I dislike Liao, why do you ask?)

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

AJ_Impy posted:

Esteemed goon hivemind, there is one fundamental that we're missing here: the Caballeros are appalling shots. Do you really want to miss with everything, or do you want to see what your weapons actually do to the opposition? Mechwarrior should be a game of huge guns blowing gigantic holes in enemy giant robots, not huge guns blowing up random trees or patches of particularly unlucky sky, whilst the opposition, who actually can shoot, have all the fun.

Let's be the ones who have all the fun.

Death Commandos.

But we're fantastic pilots. You know what that means.

Punches straight to the enemy cockpits, all day every day.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Arglebargle III posted:

You heard it folks! Vote Death Commandos cuz gently caress that duck!

You are a terrible human being <:mad:>

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
You two need to saddle down and stop horsing around.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Oh man. A Hunchback. And me always playing heavy fire support. This should be a switch. Those of you who say it's one of your favorite designs, I'm going to be asking for a lot of advice with this one. :shobon:

I also like how you put the worst shot in the group into the Hunchback, PTN. How many shots do I have with that autocannon, again?

EDIT: Hey, look right above my post. A breakdown telling me ammo and other things.

From what I remember from shooting at other Hunchbacks, I'm definitely going to need someone distracting my targets until I get within range of that monster on my shoulder. Also, I'm thinking I should go ahead and fire off that Patience special ability the Texican Mother has first turn to make up for the very real possibility that none of us are really going to be in range to do anything first turn (with the possible exceptions of the Catapult and Rifleman).

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can use that ability every turn.

Ooh, I must have misread.

Fantastic.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

LeschNyhan posted:

Try not to get surrounded though.

That'll just mean that they're all within autocannon range.

I'll have them right where I want them! ĦArriba! :black101:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Well...Maybe we'll be able to kill the Blackjack before we get melted to pieces by PPC barrages?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Out of pure curiousity, assuming my Mech gets blown away during this, I'll still be controlling the Angry Texican Mother, right?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Okay, right off the bat I'm going to have Lady Death do the thing that makes a 50% chance of no hostages getting capped (you changed the rules on me so I don't remember which it is any more).

As for my mech..I'm thinking I want to just keep moving forward to be able to take some potshots at that..What is D4, the Blackjack?...While staying in cover as much as I can. I'm going to take a pounding as I move forward, I can tell that right now. This is a very long map we're going to have to move up.

I dunno, it's been a very long time since I did any of this, and I'm really rusty. Ideas, folks?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So, on further thought, I think I'm going to start heading to the right. That'll let me move towards the Vindicator and the Cataphract, assuming they stay roughly in their same positions, and it'll keep me under cover for a while. I'm going to try to link up with Skinwalker and the two of us can push forward, try to double-team the Vindicator, and then we can try to kill the Ace in his Cataphract.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I'm thinking our first target should really be the SRM Carrier, because that thing is just too dangerous to let live. The Catapult and Lancelot should target it if they have any sort of chance to.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Oh, thanks guys. That makes me feel so much better about my Hunchback.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Oh good, Bobbin has arrived.

So, I'm thinking you and I need to link up on the right hand side of the map and push upwards, where we can hopefully take out those two separated from the herd while we get supporting fire from the longer-ranged Mechs. We can basically force any enemies we commit to a close-range duel to have to turn their backs on one of us or turn around to fight us and expose their rear armor to the rest of our team.

Thoughts?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Hey, PTN, I just realized I forgot to send in that I wanted Lady Death to do her distraction move (the one with 50% chance of saving a hostage).

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Teledahn posted:

You should probably state that you want to do that move every turn, unless we get some note that an important hostage is likely to be killed next.

Yeah, that's a good thought.

PTN? I hereby state that I want to do this every turn (unless I choose to do the riskier one in case of Important Hostage, of course).

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Assuming it ever comes out.

Harmony Gold can crash and burn at this point for their insane refusal to license the designs.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

PoptartsNinja posted:

Still waiting on turn 2 orders from someone. If I don't have 'em by tonite, WarLocke will be up.

That's probably me, sorry. Real life got a little nuts here. Working on them right now.

EDIT: Turn's in. Sorry about that.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

PoptartsNinja posted:

Why does everyone keep assuming I'm going to be using LAMs at all when I've already said I hate them and won't be using them for anything but brief fluff references because their mechanics are stupid and a pain in the rear end to keep track of?

Because you're a lying Cardassian? :v:

• Locked thread