Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Stop backing up, you stupid Blackjack! I want to smite you! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Hm.

So.

My plan was originally to close in on that Blackjack and smite it with my Smiting Cannon.

Unfortunately, he's running away faster than I can close in, so my original plan is shot. Anyone else have any ideas? Move forward and to the right and hope to flank something?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tempest_56 posted:

You get used to it. I found an old Robotech toy at a garage sale a few years ago. My first reaction was 'Oh, awesome, a Warhammer!'. I can't even remember the non-BT name for it anymore without looking it up.

Excalibur :eng101:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Axe-man posted:

The important part about all this is seeing the Death commandos strip a few tons off the mechs before they call in the artillery hidden 7 maps away!

:black101:

Y'know, we voted for you guys when you were playing.

I guess it just proves that Kell Hounds really are utterly without loyalty. :colbert:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Honestly, I should have popped Eights to Aces last turn so I could make use of it now. I had this crazy idea where I would jump on him.

Still, in honor of the ability I'm using next round, the Music of the Round is: The Ace of Spades.

Polaron, Red_Mage, if either of you want to get this guy off my back, I would really appreciate it.

Why don't we both do it? Red Mage, Bobbin, care to join me in smiting the hell out of that Cataphract? :black101:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Zeroisanumber posted:

Knocking it out would move you a long way towards victory, but don't forget about those helicopters and don't discount the damage that the vehicles and the Whammer can still do.

Oh, I don't. But the three of us (I think Red_Mage can get there, anyway) are all in range of this rear end in a top hat, and he's picking on poor Skinwalker. Time to use my Smiting Cannon.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Hm. Is there a position I can get into where those trees aren't in my way and I can still take a shot at the Cataphract? I'm not seeing one, but I may be missing something obvious.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
As you can probably imagine, bunnyofdoom, I'm moving my Hunchback to support Bobbin in killing the Cataphract. I'm doing this by running as far as I can and then firing as many weapons as I can possibly hit him with, because that seems to be the the thing to do in a Hunchback. Hopefully he and I (and Red Mage if he comes along) can do enough damage to the Cataphract that Bobby can get freed up to go after the SRM Carrier, which is something I DO NOT want to tangle with. At all.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

PoptartsNinja posted:

Only if they're poorly focused and/or diffusing very badly.

This is the Inner Sphere. The fact that their lasers work at all is a miracle.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So, I'm thinking I fire my mediums and small laser at the Zukov and my AC/20 at the Cataphract. That sound like a plan, guys?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
All right, then. That Zukov is just pointing at me and that worries me.

Let's try smiting the Cataphract again, then!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I would appreciate it if someone would kill that Zukov before it decides to shoot me. Not only is it right in my face but it's keeping me from closing to point-blank range with the Cataphract.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Hey PTN, did you get my last couple of emails? My mail server apparently had a hiccup a couple of days ago when I sent my orders in.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, as a new line of discussion, which of the 'Bug Mechs' (the Locust, Wasp, Stinger) is the best, and why?

The Tarantula :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

PoptartsNinja posted:

Y'all are really going to regret not shooting the heavy tank.

4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 light woods = 6

Welp.

It's been nice knowing you guys.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
We really need to take down that Zhukov so that I feel safe engaging the Warhammer. I really don't want to burn AC/20 ammo on it, though.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Zaodai posted:

You were firing the AC20 off with an 11+ needed to hit. On 2 d6. I don't think "wasting" ammo on a heavy tank is really the case.

Also, goddamn you guys luck with your through armor crits. Stop raping the Death Commandos with crazy luck. :saddowns: All they are trying to do is kill your women and children. That's a perfectly natural reaction to having space mexicans blaring mariachi music in their base next door at 3am.

I hit, didn't I? :smug:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tempest_56 posted:

The Hunchie can actually avoid trouble from those nasty AC10s by moving into the Zhukov's hex - mechs can occupy the same hex as a tank without harm, and neither can shoot each other. So stomp into 1116, put an AC20 into that Warhammer and then kick the Zhukov after you're done.

Is this true? I had no idea, but this sounds perfect. And once the Zhukov is dead, I can get right up in the Warhammer's face and give him a 20 Autocannon hug :black101:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Would kicking it be considered splitting my fire, or should I basically just chase the Zhukov around the map until it or the Warhammer are dead?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

WarLocke posted:

IIRC no since physical combat is considered separate from weapons fire. As long as all your guns/missiles are aimed at one target there's no penalty, even if you punch/kick something else.

*Evil laugh, lightning, etc*

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

hcenvirons posted:

Keep in mind that if you fire a weapon from the left or right arm you're unable to use it to punch.

Yes...But I'm kicking the tank.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Agent Interrobang posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It sounds like the sort of ranged cavalry fighter the Hell's Horses would probably really like, since it can act as quick, highly responsive support fire for their vast swarms of tanks and infantry. I'm thinking Prancer for the name. Either that or Shetland. :3:

Sea Biscuit.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Good lord, I need to get into cover.

. . .

Where is the ammo stored on the Hunchback?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Okay, I both need to get into cover and run a bit cooler. I'm thinking move back to..Hm...1217, I think, and just fire my AC at the Warhammer.

Freaking inferno-using jerks.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Man, I'm really at a loss for what to do. Charging forward is just going to get me mauled by the Zhukov. Staying where I am is going to get me mauled by EVERYONE.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Okay, I glanced through the thread, but couldn't find the page with the info on it any more...What is that Blackjack packing? I'm thinking of moving to 0915 and I'd like to be sure I'm not about to be murderized by it at close range.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
My personal favorite 100 tonner is possibly the Annihilator. Granted, that may just be MW3 nostalgia talking, but I've always liked it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Wow.

Infernos! :argh:

EDIT: Does our sniper team have a shot at the infantry harassing Firewalker (man, talk about an ironic name :haw: )?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
At least the Warhammer's SRM launcher done got blowed up, so we (and by "we", I mean "I") don't have to worry about any more Infernos from him.

He didn't dump his ammo, though, so there's still a chance of causing an ammo explosion! Should I fire my small laser at him in a grand gesture of defiance?

Polaron fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 23, 2011

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

bunnyofdoom posted:

I've noticed that the Zhukov has no right armour remaining. So, good chance I can either shoot it to death, or the justice foot will finish it off.

Oh no you don't. That tank has been dogging me all game.

I will end it. :black101:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I have hands.

I will beat it to death with the remains of the Warhammer! :black101:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Slaan posted:

Who is the true coward? Those who kill non-combatants (though La Dama's mouth should count as a WMD), or those who left them to die in the first place? :china:

Why don't you put your big talk in a Mech seat, huh? :clint:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Zeroisanumber posted:

Not to get too de-rail-y, but... Reminds me of that Star Wars book where there was apparently one lone genius working for the Empire who apparently worked for years on projects with names like "Death Star Superlaser" and "Sun Crusher" without realizing that she was helping an evil empire oppress the poo poo out of people.

It was written by Kevin J Anderson. It can be safely ignored.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

anakha posted:

Wouldn't moving to 1110 put Stumpy in range of the SRM carrier as well?

:stare:

This is a bad plan.

Also, I thought the Zhukov's weaponry was locked facing away from me?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Hm. I'm thinking of walking over the hill in front of me to at least put it between me and that bloody infantry for a little longer while I move into Mech Killin' Range.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
One thing that has always disappointed me is that no Mechwarrior game ever depicted that battle that I'm aware of.

Which is too bad. Something on that scale would have made a fantastic campaign.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Sorry, I've been incredibly sick the last couple of days. Working on my turn now.

EDIT: Turn in. Food poisoning bites, by the way. I do not recommend it.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 10, 2011

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Dang it, I just realized that I had originally planned on having Dama Muerta do the riskier of my two options on this turn. I hadn't really realized how many hostages we'd gone through until the last couple of turns or so.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I knew I should have stayed in the forest!

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Same way any 'Mech gets passed down from parent to pilot. Just don't lose your granddaddy's Jenner unless you enjoy the thought of being a broke rear end chump.

I think he's referring to how Hunchbacks don't tend to survive very long for reasons we saw here: if they're allowed to fire they will mess part of your Mech up very, very badly.

• Locked thread