Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Goddammit. I go away for 12 hours and this poo poo happens. Well, I'd love to participate.

Edit: gently caress, might as well go with Kell Hounds

Double edit: I have PM now. Yay!

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Agent Interrobang posted:

Resistance would be unfriendly. :3:

Just so this doesn't turn into a total derail: working on an Abridged History of the Inner Sphere, which I'll post in chunks once we start getting some actual battles going on.

Oh thank GOD! I was worried about not knowing who to shoot for a second there.

Although, from the looks of things, it's going to be a long, looooooooong wait before I get the chance to do anything with anything. :(:

I just want to crush my enemies under my 90 ton heel while laughing maniacally.

Is that so wrong? :negative:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Mukaikubo posted:

Most of the rule changes were around the edges, if I recall properly; things like making infantry/vehicles not as useless, clearing up some contradictions, things like that. If you played Battletech back in the day I am pretty sure you are not going to be lost. The basics have not changed.

edit: Honestly, one of the best ways to hop right in, especially if you played in the past and know the basics, is to play around with Megamek: http://megamek.sourceforge.net/ It is free, and screwing around by shooting the incompetent AI in a few quick battles will get you right up to speed and also give you some memory for the tactics.

Can you run that on Mac OS?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Linked for appropriateness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAh_A7N3_mc

*salutes*
Permission to troll the House Kurita soldiers with this music, ma'am?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

If I'm good at nothing else, it's digging up ridiculously obscure music. I bet ComStar has a whole division for pirated MP3s.

Permission to blare goofy comedy songs at stuck-up Kurita Mechwarriors is granted.

Acknowledged, firing long range W.A.Y. in 3...2...1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGM8PT1eAvY

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Axe-man posted:

dem clanner boys look realll purdy

Oh God, I just got an image of a couple of rednecks racing Mechs down a dirt road with the Confederate flag on their hull like The Dukes of Hazard. :bang:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Axe-man posted:

You know i should have stayed up another hour like i thought i should have...

We got the jenner, now just to get the hussar first, and then the spider

The spider is a variant with 2 mgs, that means somewhere in it is sweet sweet ammo to detonate

If i wasn't at work, (which oddly enough blocks waffleimages) I would have done a map and all that... oh well, time to wait till after i get home.

That Vulcan took a Large Laser to the back and survived so something to be said about that, and at only the loss of 2 medium lasers? I would say we are doing well so far!
Hey, do you think the enemy commander will commit seppuku if you kill all his troops?

'Cause that would be hilarious.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Edited to remove stupidity.

So...ummm... how 'bout them Steiners?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
What does it say about me that the second Farscape gets mentioned that I start thinking of living dropships and mechs?

And now I can only think of getting a living Atlas named Chuck, and the two of us becoming best friends forever.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Yeah, sorry for the inadvertent derail there. I think, however, that the basic gist of my opinion can be summed up as 'Battletech is about big robots and should stay that way.'

Speaking of which, to veer this back on-topic, has anyone heard any more news about the Harmony Gold bullshit surrounding the upcoming MechWarrior game? I can kind of understand if they're just griping about the Warhammer used in the trailer, but does anyone know if they were planning to have more of the Unseen mechs in the game? It seems a bit too hissy for them to be complaining this much about just one.

I think it's just Harmony Gold being bastards. They seem to be basically extorting money for an IP they don't even care about using anymore.

A quick Google search got me this: http://www.terrania.us/journal/2009/09/harmony-gold-vs-battletech-second.html

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a Clan honor thing. Sea Fox did something to piss the Snow Ravens off, the Snow Ravens overreacted and popped a serious black-quadrant mad-on for the Sea Foxes. Everything else is pretty much the Clans just creating reasons to shoot at each other that aren't "I'm from the Draconis Combine, you're from the Federated Suns, let us fight!"

Can Clan Diamond Shark be an option for next game? Please?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm a little confused. So, smaller numbers are good? How does that work again?:psyduck:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Axe-man posted:

your base piloting skill is added to each attack

so it goes like this:

to hit roll: Base piloting skill + movement of you + range + enemy movement + other modifiers = number you have to roll higher than or equal too to hit the target.

Ah, thanks. I really hope we haven't moved on to Megamek by the time my turn rolls around. I fear for any lance placed under my utter noobness.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Axe-man posted:

Awww, i hope i rolled boxcars :v:

I feel silly for asking this, but "boxcars"?

Also, holy poo poo Poptarts, I hope you never play Shadowrun. With your rolling that poo poo would get ridiculous fast.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Voting the Vulcan and the Hussar for MVPs.

When will we see out next vote choices Poptarts?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

It's making me picture an Atlas wearing a sombrero, in Mexican Day of the Dead paints. :D

And now I have the image of a Mech mariachi band stuck in my head. Thanks for that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Comes in five strengths: Small Laser, Medium Laser, Large Laser, Particle Projection Cannon and Autocannon/20.

Auto/20: Hot enough to melt your armor off.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A I see no reason for us to retreat. Let the pirates bleed House Kurita. It will make slipping the knife in later all the easier.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm voting for the 17th Recon.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wow, too bad we don't have much in the way of anti-infantry on the mechs. Looks like our best tactic will probably be to fend of their infantry with our infantry while trying to get them to surrender by killing the enemy mechs.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Question: I was looking at the map, and I noticed that there was a point where all the Successor States' borders meet. What's there? Earth?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

W.T. Fits posted:

Set to "Gonna Fly Now" or "Eye of the Tiger"?

I think it depends on the faction it belongs to.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hey, if you kill the vehicle transporting them, do the infantry die automatically?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

I love that, for the Federated Suns, both of those are 'Hanse Davion'

Poptarts, do you have us doing a 3025 game just so you can write Hanse Davion dialogue?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Bah, it's vital to establish if Battletech is WWI in space, or Beowulf in space!

It's Jason and the Argonauts fighting the 30 years war in space with giant gently caress-off robots ad nauseum.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Tempest_56 posted:

:words:and laser heat sinks (which make you cooler by LASERS).

Of course, don't lasers make everything cool? :rimshot:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hey Poptarts, is it possible for friendly units to move the hostages? Like with the Tech APC or something?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Arglebargle III posted:

Ah, short range makes sense then. That infantry sounded too good to be true. I'm surprised how many people got kinda butthurt about my question.

poo poo, puppy hostages! There is no limit to the Capellans' Evil!

YOU FOOL! Those are Death Commando puppies! They've been bred and raised to infiltrate and murder from Day One! They'd all gladly bite your testicles off for fun!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hey Poptarts, can the scout sappers do anything to vehicles?

Also: Holy poo poo, do you guys have some bullshit luck.

Looks like the Caballeros have some big game hunting to do once the battle is over.:ese:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Arglebargle III posted:

You guys are honestly still getting protagonist luck. You nailed that Warhammer with a bunch of big guns this turn, while managing to escape retribution despite having critically low armor on two mechs and a head-shot catapult.

If the Death Commandos can land even a couple shots each mech the Caballeros could be looking at 2+ ejections.

If they had protagonist luck then both enemy mechs would have cooked their ammo off, or we'd see a repeat of what happened with the enemy ace. Also the ground wouldn't be littered with the bodies of quite as many dead children.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh No! Say it ain't so Engine Joe! :negative:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I kinda hope Engine Joe made it somehow. If only so he can track down the Death Commando Ace who ejected, and then beat him to death with a wrench or something.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So Poptarts, I was wondering about something. Are there literally only 20 hostages, or does each one represent a larger group of people.

Exactly how many dead children do we have on our hands here?:smith:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Slaan posted:

Not enough. :china:

Slaan, did a class of Texican children murder your family or something?
I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding why your so pro child murder.

I mean, if it were a bunch of Capellan children I could understand. It's pretty much a mercy kill at that point. :mexico:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Sir gently caress You could run and kick the SRM this turn. I think he'd be out of the firing arc for the enemy mechs as well.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

bunnyofdoom posted:

Welcome to what we decided half a page ago.
:allears:

Yeah...umm... didn't read the posts immediately after the update...

oops?

On the plus side, it looks like this scenario should be over in a few turns.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

'Ace' isn't the only initiative-fuckery rule I've got at my disposal. Actually, it's the weakest of them.

Example:

Seize the Initiative (Clan): Whenever a player unit is destroyed, all Clan units automatically win initiative. Clan forces may not Seize the Initiative on two consecutive turns.

The Clans are going to teach us the new meaning of hate, aren't they?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Mukaikubo posted:

Someone of the Black Widow's talent, their 'prime' probably starts when they stop using diapers and extends until when they start up again, admittedly. :v:

Do the Clans obey the Ares Conventions? And if not, could we maybe drop a spaceship on her or something? That's starting to look like our best option.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Mukaikubo posted:

Hell with that. I'm up in the next group. If PTN blows his Major NPC wad early and shows me the Widowmaker, you bet your rear end I am going to fight her in a Nero-style FIRE EVERYTHING duel. Will I lose? Almost certainly. But oh, the glory if I somehow pull off a win!

...and yes, I am fully aware of what a Clanner-like opinion that is. :allears:

I'll make you a deal. You do that, and the rest of us will wait outside of the blast zone. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Defiance Industries posted:

It's more likely she captures him but then they escape together, since that's much more cliche.

That or they get trapped in the wilderness together, and are forced to rely on each other to survive, overcome their mutual hatred, learn to respect each other, bang, produce a Mary Sue.

• Locked thread