Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Comstar! with no real expectation of it getting up. I just think they are cool

Also, hands up to be a mech warrior. I don't have pms, so will throw up an email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I signed up to be a pilot on the first page, but need to provide my email I guess, so my email is: deleted

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 23, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Edit: I am the Jenner Pilot - D (whoops)

So I am as green as grass about mechwarrior, so I need some tactical advice on what the heck I should do. My instinct says to move south, using the hill as a screen until the situation develops. With my big jump distance I should be able to reposition quickly.

So I think I should Walk to 0409

Thoughts?

Also, do we have a concept of operations from out lieutenant :D

IMHO, operationally, we should aim to kill the entire hostile force - it's a counter recon, we need kill as many of their recon elements as we can.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 23, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

Not sure if I misread the - C but I believe the Jenner is D, of course, if you knew that and the C meant something else, my apologies.

Yeah, it is D, my bad.

So any thoughts? I think hiding behind the hill, and/or sniping from the hill then jumping anyone who comes over the hill with closed range weapons (an ad-hoc reverse slop defense) seems like a good move.

I'm not sure enough of the game to understand the relative balance of firepower between our lance and theirs, if any of the more experienced players wants to throw in their thoughts on the short/long/medium firepower disparity.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Right now sniping isn't an option with your build, both of you light mechs need to run screens meaning that you dash about and take shots when you can without exposing yourself completely. your range is possibly your biggest obsticale, you are a knife fighter, try to get behind them or draw them toward us, then flank them and shoot them in the back :cool:

I meant the the guys with longer guns (the griffon and the axe thing snipe) because I sense we have longer range from behind the hill, then the short range knife fighters smash them as they came over the hill or around the forest at close range. Essentially the snipers bait the trap, then the short range mechs try and gang the other guys 1 by 1 as they come into range

Might not even be a plan though.

A sand chart would be awesome.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 23, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Okay I like that plan and it fits my proposed orders.

Just to be clear, movement speads like 7/11/5 are walking/running/jump?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Okay, I'm going to walk to 310 this turn and see how the situation develops.

Edit: Orders submitted

Edit 2: Thanks for the help all.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 23, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

So for movement can I use jumpsets AND run, or is it an or option?

Anyway, my tactical options are

A) Move to a blocking position in 0611 or thereas about and try and shoot the hovercraft when it blats past me

B) Rambo the hovercraft this turn

Can I do over-watch in this game? If I can do any sort of interrupt fire whatsoever, my inclination is to walk to a blocking position and set overwatch.

Whatcha going to Lance Leader? :D

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

^ The biggest problem with CM:SF is that it was just no fun when it first came out and was as buggy as crap (If I can see you, and you can see me, and you can shoot at me, why can I not shoot at you? Broken LOS model AHOY)

Anyway, no overwatch means going full rambo. I'm going to Run to 1114 (9 hexes of movement + 1 move + 1 hill climb), torso twist towards the hover tank and unload into the hover tank

Any plan that involves walking doesn't get me into short range, and I'm not even sure I still have LOS. This also means I am behind a light and heavy forest from the hostile mech firing positions. I might have an issue with K2 still, but hey, that's the supposedly undergunned (according to the company intel officer) Spider Mech, so if he comes for me, I can smash him with return fire.

edit: Wow, that Spider is a real plonker. Two MGs and a Medium laser? If I get the chance I am going to carve this guy up.

Next turn I will jump jet back over the hill towards the rest of my lance.

@Pladdicus

quote:

Scratch my plan, I'm going to move into its flank, and open fire, ending my turn with a most excellent kick.

If movement takes place simultaneously, how do you know this is going to work?

@Post Below: Okay, makes sense.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 24, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

I would say have the Jenner and Vulcan go after K6 while the two heavier mechs take out K5. Just make sure to stay out of sight/range of the enemy mechs. Hopefully we can get both on this turn.

Maybe Pladdicus could move the Vulcan to the water in 1310 and then we have the hoovertank in a vice?

That move would also put him in the water for improved heat dissipation, and enables him to react to a move up the river or into the northern sector, while he is screened by the hills and forests.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If a piloting roll into the water is too risky, then Pladdicus walking to 1209 offers many of the same advantages (he's behind the hill), but he has to fire at medium range.

I don't know enough of the rules to do the risk/reward analysis, though I suspect the land square is better unless his mech has massive heat issues.

Comedy option attack: Do a death for above with jump jets on the lower hoovertank.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I think you are one square of movement short because you have to walk uphill?

2 Squares to walk to 1408

1 Square to turn

2 Squares to walk to 1409

1 Square to walk to 1410

Making you 1 square of movement short, or I am missing something, which is more likely.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

Mostly because I can move 9 if I flank. And it's 9 altogether. +2 to move UP two, not just 1 for any elevation change.

OHHH, that's what you meant by flank - sorry, I thought you meant a flank shot, not flank speed.

Right, got it now. Okay, that makes sense, let's go with that plan pending any tweaks from the tactical advisors.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Axe-man posted:

okay guys, remember to take your targets in groups, if the griffin and i are the slowest, it maybe best to have us on the one out in front, pladdicus you might want to go to the other side and go into the trees if possible and gang up on him, or (and this is prolly best) wait for him to come around the bend, hovercraft have movement rules about going into trees if i remember right, so making him go around and allowing you to setup for a good attack once he does.

Reading the map with the new insight about cliffs, I think that K6 must drive north towards K5, because I cannot see how it can get out of the river in any other direction.

However, I still think I should shoot it this turn.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

Ah, so I have to make sure to stay out of LOS. Gotcha. Didn't know if it was armed in a lot of medium lasers or whatever.

Could move to 1209 and open fire on K6.

The other advantage of being in 1209 is that is the square the Hoovertank must move through to get out of the river basin. If you are there it cannot escape the range of your jump jets for at least one more turn.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

The hovertank can't pass through wooded areas so it can't get out from the lake anyway.

Yes it can - 1312, 1311, 1310, 1209, 1309, 1308 is a valid path with no woods and only a Z level climb of 1 at any point. It also puts it slap bang in the middle of our northern three mechs, who will then murder it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Ah poo poo, that means it can break out at 0910 and 1009 so we have to wax it this turn, otherwise the pain begins.

Edit: Yeah, we are screwed unless we kill this hovercraft this turn, so I need your backup Pladdicus.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

It probably won't retreat unless we really hurt it, this is Kurita. And if we really hurt it, it probably -can't- retreat and will go all out for glory.

I think.

Edit: Either way, lets kill the sumbitch this turn.

Those two squares, I think, let it get off the edge of the map before we can cut it off, which in a counter recon scenario is really bad.

Edit: Actually we can both jump jet back and give him another round of what for.

But yeah, lets shoot the poo poo out of him and hope the problem solves itself.

Edit2: Can someone who knows the rules give me an idea of how bullet resistant these things are. What is my chance of a mobility kill or an actual kill per turn of firing?

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 24, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

drat, I thought I hit on a 10+ with that action (Catalyst game has posted a really good quick start guide on it's website if you're a battletech noob like me and want to learn the rules), which is a solid 1 in 6 chance of hitting him.

Anyway, it's a counter recon mission AND we do not have a force advantage. Ramboing is not a good idea. Instead I'm going to lurk behind the hill and threaten them, and
I also need to let my heat dissipate so I am fully mobile this round.

I'm thinking Jumpjet to 0911, with my Mech Chassis facing 0912 and torso twist back to conventional alignment (Facing: 0912). That puts me in a great position to switch sides if the spider comes around, or towards the back if they move into the kill sack, but my issue is do the forests still block LOS there?

Not sure how forests and Z levels work

If that position is too exposed, I will jump to 0712, facing 0913.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

It's a Spider 5K. Jenner's a light HK mech. It packs literally more than quadruple the firepower, more armor, only slightly less mobility and can flip arms so it doesn't even matter if the Spider gets behind it. Barring incredible bad dice luck in shooting, the Jenner has a massive advantage and should win almost every time. Hell, half the Spider's firepower is in machine guns. The Jenner can take it.

I'd like to ID the unknown mech before I do anything to hardcore. It's unlikely we'll be able to salvage any kills in the short term.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Look at it this way, you can't do worse!

Hey, I guess I cannot fail any harder than the theoretical Jenner pilot.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Wouldn't the combined firepower of say, a Mongoose and a Spider be enough to cause serious damage to my face? That's 4 Medium lasers, 1 Light laser and 2 MGs.

I've got about as many guns, but that's not great.

A Valkyrie sniping me is a more realistic issue.

It just not a percentage play. Yes, I can take a moderate risk and might kill a hostile light mech, but killing a mech isn't the objective, I probably won't be able to salvage the mech (if this a recon force, there will be a main force around, and they will have more, bigger, mechs), and I might get shot up.

Best play is screen the rest of the lance until the LT orders us to kill them all, we have to engage, or a great opportunity exists.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I actually started writing up a list like that before I decided no one would care. >_> Well, here's a rundown:

The Javelin carries 2x SRM-6 if it's the basic model, or 4 med lasers if it's the first variant. Seems quite punchy for this weight.

Firestarter is 4 flamers, two med lasers, and two machine guns. I fail to see anything seriously threatening here.

Hermes is two medium lasers and a flamer, but ungodly fast. I don't see it as especially dangerous.

Hussar is also hellishly fast and has a large laser. I know little about tabletop BT, but wouldn't it have probably fired by now if it was this?

Commando is SRM-6, SRM-4, med laser, or other stuff. Large chance of carrying a large laser if it's a variant.

Thorn and Valkyrie carry LRMs in their basic models. Again, I would think it would have fired by now if it had LRMs.

I think the direct fire weapons haven't had line of site to me (I've been being careful about this) - if the tanks can spot for the LRM mechs, we can scrap them from the list.

These are chaff: Locust, Wasp, Stinger, Spider, Ostscout,

These do not present favorable engagement odds: Mongoose, Commando, Javelin, Hermes, Hussar, Firestarter, Mercury

I'm already starting with a heat disadvantage, why would I attack given the dangerous selection of things that can blow me up.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Rules question: Does a forest block LOS over it if the forest is on Z-level 0 and you are standing on a ridge behind it with Z level 2?

Edit: Here are the 100% free, officially published an distribute on their website by Catalyst games quickstart rules -> http://www.classicbattletech.com/downloads/QSR_BattleTech_EN.pdf

I imagine anything in that document is fair game for public posting.

Edit: My orders are in.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 25, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I knew the bit about mechs being two levels tall.. and as forests totally screen you with enough of them, they must be a minimum of two levels tall, so a height of two makes sense.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Okay, here is ANOTHER set of Quickstart rules:

http://www.classicbattletech.com/downloads/CBT_Introductory_Rulebook.pdf

That do include Heat and Critical Hits this time

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

With a bit of luck I may get an ID on it this turn.

My basic (and in-universe RP problem!) is that my lancemates are HOOAH shouting, yee-hawing cowboys, and I just don't want to get my rear end shot off while achieving the mission, which is surviving to spend your pay.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

It's not disobeying orders, it's acting on your own initiative ;)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

^ Stuff like that makes me even more paranoiac than usual, but will, without hesitation, be used as another reason not to Rambo the spider!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Or that he's dug up an old Lynx out of nowhere and it's running around with a PPC, a large laser and 4 meds. That kind of firepower would pretty much be a match for the entire goon lance.

Even the reduced tech model, w/2xLL, 2xML would be pain.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Approximately, as much as I have to laugh as I say this, one in a million.

(actually 2.38 in a million but that's not poetic enough)

edit: That would be if you only fired once per round.

That worrisome part is I left my head exposed for a maximum range shot from the spider :)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah, I'm in favour of withdrawing - it's the 'right move'

However, if we're not going to do that, we should ignore the challenge and focus fire everything on the Jenner. We've already taken damage this turn, and that thing has a lot of guns. so we need to knock it out ASAP, and not using the griffins gun gives it more time to fire.

I can jump jet towards you and fire on the spider, but I don't think I can get the Jenner this turn.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Then we should gang bang the jenner as hard as we can, so we can fight a 4 v 3

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Jenner Pilot options:

If we go full aggressive, I could

A) Jump jet to 1212, unload everything into the spider at short range

B) Jump jet to 1212, unload everything into the Jenner at short range

Or, if we retreat, I could jump jet to 0707

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Axe-man posted:

if you do go full on aggressive, watch your heat and leave out a medium laser or two

I'm not sure, i'm actually torn between falling back to pressing our advantage, right now they are mostly split up and focusing fire on lights usually works as effective as it does for tanks.

I think we should fall back, we don't have that much of an advantage unless we can convert it into a lose of material for them this turn.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

So the Dragon thinks he can take me on, does he? Consider me amused.

I think we need to press the attack. We have a lot of advantages right now. The Dragon is the only true threat and I can probably keep him away from you guys for as long as it takes. I am slightly banged up, but have the armor to spare to engage in a long range match.

Lets do both - we can

A) Accept the challenge

B) Pull back our forces away from the Dragon, in line with Zaodai's plan

This forces the dragon to get off the hill and come down and mix it up with us, and will enable us to suck all their forces into a destructive conflict on our turf AND if poo poo starts going sour we can run away.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

One modification to Zaodai's plan - we should withdraw west. This reduces my chance of getting cut off from the rest of you, and also uses the forests to keep blocking the dragon for another few turns.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I still have no idea what my lancemates are doing, so I am jumping to 0608, which is broadly in line with the commanders plans.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Not particularly - two reasons

A) It leaves me out in the open

B) We're tactically just as together as if I was standing right next to you, I can easily walk around the edge of the ridge and shoot at whatever you guys are.

C) The Hussar and the spider could do an end run around behind us and I want to punish them if they try.

Basically in 0908 the Hussar can snipe, but if I am in 0608 it has to move much further or stand really close to me (where I will shoot it a lot.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Couple of questions

A) Where do I have to stand to get a rear shot on someone? I'm particularly thinking firing into the spiders rear armour vs the hussars side armour. I know the hussar is a much bigger threat, but if I can kill the spider rather than damage the hussar that's a big win

B) Is there any particular advantage to firing from 1 square rather than 3 squares away other than being able to kick (my Jenner has no arms and would have to stand on a lower Z level than the hostile mechs, so it would have to be a to-hit bonus.

I'm tempted to get into the rear armor of the spider and see if I can waste it or critically damage it in one turn.

• Locked thread