Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I'm just not sure how I can get a good shot on the Jenner in a manner that doesn't mean I'll eat a bunch of dangerous return fire. If I go behind K1 and K2, I can just jump away behind the south hill if they turn around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah, I considered that plan - I like it because of the 10+ to hit roll they will need, but I think my heat situation will be pretty bad, plus I think I will need a very difficult roll to hit - 4 + 3 jumping + 2 medium range + 2 from the Jenners movement for a total to hit of 11. Only a 1/12 chance of hitting with a weapon, so only a 35% chance of landing a hit.

If I walk up behind the spider, I have 4 + 1 for walking +2 for their movement for hitting on sevens, which means I will likely land 2-3 hits, and maybe get lucky.

Does that make sense? Are those numbers right? Can I do significant damage to the spider with one salvo like that?

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 26, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Hey guys, if you can answer to quick rules questions for me, I can avoid some email tic taccing with our wonderful host:

A) Can you kick backwards, forwards, or all round you?

B) Is this walking path valid for 7 movement, and if not, what am I doing wrong:

Starting in 0608 with the Jenner (Position D) Total movement walking 7

Costs 2 to move into 0609 (1 for the square, 1 up the hill)

Costs 1 to move into 0610

Costs 1 to turn to face 0711

Costs 1 to move into 0711

Cost 2 to move into 0811 (1 for the square, 1 up the hill)

Movement cost of 7 total?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

My current orders as they stand:

Orders:

Walk to 0811, torso twist to face the spider, and fire all weapons into the rear armor of the spider mech (K2).

Fires:

4 x Medium Laser at spider mech (K2)
1 x SRM at spider mech (K2)

Any optional extra that lets me fire for MOAR DAMAGE should be done.

Commanders intent:

I want to talk the best possible shots at the spider while I can. I don't think it's rear armor can possibly be that hot (I am assuming it is the same or less than the Jenner), so I anticipate that with a bit of luck, and some joy on the hit locations table, I can really mess him up.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 26, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah, that is my hope - if I can land a crippling blow on the spider, the Hussar is going to be in a sticky situation.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Agent Interrobang posted:

Uh, no offense, Cythereal, but we've all been trying very hard not to mention THOSE. Mad Cats are common knowledge even to greenhorns, but not THOSE.

Please do not spoil THOSE.

PS: Mukaikubo, might wanna edit that quote.

I think you might be overestimating how uncommon the knowledge of those are - my greeness should be apparent, but I know what you are talking about.

quote:

I'm good, as long as we can all agree that needing an 11 to hit is piss poor odds.

Yeah, for some reason I'd decided that 4/36 = 1/12 :downs:

Overall though, the chance of hitting the Jenner is slim and I'd generate a lot of heat, whereas an Alpha strike on the spiders rear should do material damage.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 27, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Because so many people have volunteered to be Mechwarriors for this, Poptarts will solve it by giving every single one of us ALL crappy Clints or Spiders to face off against a single heavy star in our first engagement with the clanners. The survivors get to continue on.

Also, we need to invade clan space and beat up some garrison troops. I want to salvage my all-time favorite mech. I want a Hunchback IIC.

I tohught we were all going to cycle out after 1 mission anyway.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Let me Present the least Feasible of All Mechs ever thought up!

I'm not how this would even speed up production, it seems like it would actually be a negative.

What makes this worse, is there is even an older version of this...

I love how the combine and the agromech are specifically called out for having high armor. Who gives a rats rear end about armor on a civilian commercial vehicle.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Pilot encounters large rock while harvesting, fails pilot check, falls over. Without that armor the fatality rate would be enormous.

And this is why the entire mech harvester concept is totally insane?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Oh God, I just got an image of a couple of rednecks racing Mechs down a dirt road with the Confederate flag on their hull like The Dukes of Hazard. :bang:

Oh god, why are we not playing this. I cannot imagine anything more fun :D

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

This fills me with terror - this is our first 'risky' turn as well. We are heavily exposed to fire.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Tarquinn posted:

Say, PoptartsNinja, are killed players out of the game for good? Like in the UFO/X-Com threads?

That might affect how people play the game. I know it would for me.

I'm trying to act like that anyway:)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I'm am officially the worst shot ever. So bad. SO BAD.

My gut instinct is to run to 0914 and shoot the Hussar.

However, the tactilol plan might be for B to angle for a direct head on shot, and I go for a direct rear shot by jumping over his head?

Edit: We're still in pretty good shape, despite my abject failure to kill the spider. The vulcan's front armor is mostly intact, and if we can crush one more hostile mech we are considerably ahead on the exchange.

My only concern is that the spider is going to make a break for it.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 27, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

Also it seems that the mercs are now out of position for a follow-up, and have to hastily regroup lest D get destroyed.

I have a bunch more firepower than those two mechs, even together, and I am completely unscratched. We can still do this.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

@Longinus: Yeah, I really blew it on that Spider Mech. That was insanely bad. I had a realistic chance of getting critical with that salvo and.. nothing Sixes everywhere, like a plague. :(

So team, what should I do? I'm keen not to fire too much to let some heat dissipate, so should I run past the Hussar, into say 0815, and fire 1 medium laser and 1 SRM at it?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Wow, I clearly went to sleep too early. :v:

One thing I didn't see in all the post-turn chatter... that Hussar might be preparing to get the gently caress out of dodge, guys, to be sure at least one mech reports back to the Combine with our strength and position.

Imho, it's going to be the spider that is going to run, but yeah.

Possible orders - I could either run past the Hussar to 0815 (can he shoot me there?), or a better plan might be to jump set into the water. I could reach 1211, which would probably let me dump all my heat, then be prepared for a counter attack or volley fire from the water as the Hussar likes standing on hills.

Edit: Wow, that guy is a crack sniper.

I could also jump jet right over his head to 0716, which would be funny. Actually either 0615 would be better - either the Hussar shows his rear to me if he continues firing at the Vulcan, or he turns sideways and sharply limits his firing options.

He's got a turret, so that won't work. Jumping into the water is looking better and better.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 27, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

My orders as they stand:

Movement Orders Orders:

Jenner Mech D - Jumps:

* Jump from 0711 to 0716 (Distance 5)

* Facing at landing 0715 (North)
* Point Torso at Hussar.

Fires:

Branching request here:

If and only if the Hussar shows me its back -> 4 x Medium Laser at Hussar (K1) + 1 x SRM at Hussar (K1)

Otherwise: 1 x SRM at Hussar (K1)

Commanders intent:

I think the Hussar cannot attack me here, the turret can apparently only fire forwards, and he can only kick there, so I am going to chill out behind him.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Just a reminder... the mechs have already moved, you lucky ducks able to see and plan where i have to you know stay gainfully employed and stuff :smith:

Yeah, but our esteemed host pointed out to me last time (when I tried to get the spider in the back) that the torso rotation happens in the shooting phase, so it's possible the hussar could turn his back plates away from me.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

My orders as submitted:

Movement Orders Orders: (Whoops!)

Jenner Mech D - Walks:

* Turn to 0815
* Walk to 0815 (2 cost)
* Turn to 0814
* Walk to 0814
* Walk to 0813 (2 cost)

Fires:

* 4 x Medium Laser at the Spider Mech directly N in 0809
* 1 x SRM at the Spider Mech directly N in 0810

Commanders intent:

Kill the spider with the rest of the team.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Yes!

Though I'd settle for just hitting it to be honest. Hopefuly one of the other guys moves directly opposite me so someone is going to be firing at the rear.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Axe-man posted:

I'm doing some bad things to that jenner, lets just say, deliverance :banjo:

I started reading the novels around Tukayyid

I'm the Jenner.. he's the spider. If you're going deliverance on me I'm defecting to the snakes. :D

The outcome from Tukayyid is the only one that makes sense, despite superior technology it's inexplicable how the clans won in the first place!

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 29, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The real key is, has the Hussar run away. The suspense is killing me.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah, I know. However, really wanted to kill the spider, and had no particularly great shots on the Hussar. I am unlikely to be able to shoot this turn, so I can walk forward and blow off some heat.

Unfortunately, I still cannot shoot straight. That's another salvo of 6s.

We should break line of sight and fall back behind the hills, and wait to see how the situation develops. I do not see how we can attack the Hussar unless we force it to come to us. The spider is irrelevant.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Axe-man posted:

to be honest it was 7s verus going for 11s on the hussar, the thing is hard to hit.

Yeah, we cannot fight the Hussar where it is - it just moves to fast and the guy is a great shot. We need to suck him into the terrain south of the lake, so why don't we pull back behind the Hill in 1011.

Then we can overcome our gunnery and movement disadvantage by attacking him in close at short range.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Artificer posted:

Won't he just run for the dropship, scout it out, and invalidate the entire mission?

Yeah, possibly.. but we cannot stop that from happening. If he runs, we need to get onto the blower to high command and say 'poo poo we have a situation' - we've already caused massive damage to this recon force (2 scout vehicles down, one strike mech down, 1 scout mech crippled, 1 scout/firesupport/whatever a dragon is heavily damaged - and it cannot run, so it cannot support the Hussar any more.)

That's a fairly massive success.

Modern doctrine for a Counter Recon battle calls for:

A) troops to find the hostile scouts

B) Troops to kill the hostile scouts

It's not clear if we're supposed to be A or B. If we are A, we have already won an overwhelming victory from a 'mission' perspective, their scouting force is all kinds of hosed up. If we're supposed to be B, we're pretty undergunned - you typically want overwhelming force, or massive artillery support.

Edit: Also, if the Hussar was going to do that, he could have done it last turn. We should plan as though he keeps fighting, and if he runs away, let's get command on the phone.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 31, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

The Vulcan can probably stay in the fight if it dumps the machine gun ammo. It may end up with nothing but melee attacks, but it can certainly still make its presence felt!

Also, if you guys can survive against a mere Hussar for a couple more turns, I should be ready to assist. I doubt that Hussar will be eager to snipe when it has a Griffin bearing down on it.

We can completely get him out of the line of fire this turn - and we should do that before he gets more shot up.

Artificer posted:

I suppose if it does make a run for the dropship that'll make the secondary objective impossible and make it a good reason for the rest of you to run like hell.

Maybe after dropping the spider and dragon for possible loot?

If the Hussar runs, we should just kill everyone else on the map, then 'roleplay' withdrawing back to the dropship - the Vulcan needs repairs.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Okay, so let's focus on getting our entire lance except C out of the line of sight of K1 and K2

Bonus objective for this turn: Get a line of sight on K4 without exposing yourselves. There is a non zero risk that the Hussar and the spider will shoot our valiant platoon leader, so let's be in a position to murder the dragon if they break the deal first.

But the prime focus is get out of the line of fire.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

I just had an amusing image in my head of two medium mechs and a superior light mech all fleeing in terror from a lone Hussar.

Then I realized that it is actually happening :sigh:

Really?

Seriously, he ran 10. We're not even going to hit him next turn, with our best case +6 to hit modifers, and more likely +8/9

Anyway, we're not running in terror, we're attempting to draw him into an ambush. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :colbert:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

My orders as submitted

Movement Orders:

Jenner Mech D - Jumps to 1215, landing facing 1315.

Fires:

None

Commanders intent:

Hide from the opposing mechs, while being in a position to move out to fight if they come via the river. Will let the other two handle the left flank. Pretty sure that position is out of LOS from both hostile mechs.

I briefly considered going to 0415 and covering the other flank, but it doesn't feel like the right move if we are going to draw them into a short range confrontation.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

By my math, you have three positioning options.
1) Stay where you are. 0 movement mod for you. Range 9. You shoot on a 10. He shoots on a 6. (However, you are in partial cover and so somewhat protected.)
2) Jump to 0907. 3 movement mod. Range 5. You shoot on a 11. He shoots on a 6.
3) Run to either 0707 or 0807. 2 movement mod. Range 6. You shoot on a 12. He shoots on a 7.

If you're gonna shoot, stay put and fire. But you've got about a 16% chance to hit, and he's got around 72%.

For the love of god, don't do this. Literally the most likely outcome is he punches a large laser into you, you miss him completely and nothing is accomplished, because your lancemates will be out of position.

You need to draw him forward!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Axe-man posted:

I'm going to fire on it to keep the focus off the lights while they withdraw, the vulcan will still be in a fire arc no matter what it does, it is the most vulnerable, after it goes to cover i'll jump back and draw it in.

Nooooooo!

He can jump to 1013, and he will be totally protected by the hill in front of him.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I don't get why the designs that take the same thing, remove some ammo and staple on two pulse lasers or something are better. 90% of the time the pulse lasers aren't going to do poo poo, and the remaining 10% of the time you should be running away.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

How about this, I run into 1203 and punch shoot and kick (just shoot and kick) the hussar. How's that sit with folks? Any glaring issues with the plan?

Wait, I thought we'd agreed not to rambo the Hussar and instead fall back carefully? Can we not get killed? I thought this was a joke! Waahhhhh!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

Aaaand. I'm convinced. Let's let the dice roll.

may god help me :ohdear:

What the gently caress. It's game over man, game over!

I guess I might have to move forward and give these guys some backup. Unfortunately there is no obvious location to move to that has me totally screened from fire.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 1, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

You could jump jet to 1013, then he cannot even see you, and neither can the spider.

We can all break line of sight this turn -

B) Jumps to 0913
C) You jump to 1013
D) I jump to 1215

Then they are shooting at air. Why are people taking a bullet that we don't have to risk?

I appreciate that we have them outgunned, but we don't have to kill them this turn - we can wait a turn, then take them when we are virtually assured a kill. Bear in mind I cannot even shoot this turn - if I jump jet in to attack, I am absolutely unable to hit the Hussar at all!

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 1, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Revised orders submitted. I'm really worried pladicus is going to die when both the spider and the Hussar unload on him :ohdear:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

No guts, no glory!

In the trite aphorisms stake I prefer "there are old men and bold men, but no old bold men."

More seriously the rambo plan doesn't much sense from a mission context, but it is pretty watchable!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

My reasoning was thusly, if they're between us and the dropship, and they run, what gets discovered?

I don't know if that's a bad thing, but well, that's the way I figured it.

It's not like they don't know we are here. They also know we have a dropship, that's how we'd get here. They also likely know roughly where the drop ship is, what with sending a recon patrol in it's general direction.

We don't have to actually kill the guy to stop him from getting a visual on the dropship - the drop ship is vomiting out assault and heavy mechs. All we realistically have to do is stay in contact with their recon force - then when the hussar approaches the dropship, we tell the assault mechs where the Hussar is coming from and BLAM, he's stuck between an atlas and us and dies.

Plus it's a pretty successful counter recon battle if we kill three of their mechs, two of their scout vehicles and escape with 1 damaged mech, 1 with armor hits, and 2 unscratched mechs. Losing a mech makes the exchange look much worse.

Edit: Ultimately, the above is so many words. Yeah, I agree the Hussar is really weak and if we can land hits we can blow it to pieces, but it's really, really hard to hit :P

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Sure they know that we are here and that we probably have a dropship somewhere, but they currently have no idea of what other forces are in theater. They have no idea who they face and in what strength. The longer we keep the 9th from knowing they face Kell Hounds in regimental strength, the more successful our mission. Nothing short of an assault lance will reach our dropship if I have any say in the matter :colbert:

Again, they won't discover that from leaking one Hussar. If we do, we should stay in contact, then screening force elements will kill him.

Not that leaking one Hussar is even a risk, because he could have run away last turn, but didn't ;P

More importantly: If we trash OUR recon elements, we're going to have NFI what we are fighting. We're like 6% of total Kell Hounds forces in the fields, so getting one of our dudes fragged is a reduction in forces you are going to notice.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Unfortunately, they doesn't feel that improbable? I am totally in :ohdear: mode right now.

• Locked thread