Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I wonder if he included the anti-FedCom attitude to try and make more people like Rose.

Not that it appears to work since it is all so :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Regular Maintenance:

4 Omnimechs - 1600/mo
8 Battlemechs - 2400/mo

Total cost of equipment
4000 c-bills/month

HOWEVER I can guarantee they aren't maintaining their `Mechs properly, since it takes 40 manhours + 5 hours per ton PER `Mech. Jeremiah Rose's Warhawk would require 57 man-hours of maintenance PER WEEK. So yeah, the costs aren't too bad provided nothing breaks (which it will, since it's all going mostly unmaintained).

Are the costs and manhours listed as when the mechs are operating? 57 man-hours seem kind of much if the Warhawk is just... parked in the hangar powered down all the time.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

KnoxZone posted:

XL Engines make the game so much funner. People used to think I was odd when I ran Lyran Companies that featured 0 assault mechs or assault vehicles, but the kind of carnage you can inflict with nothing but Verfolgers, Barghests, and Flashman is a thing of beauty. Exceptional mobility and overwhelming firepower mixed into one brutal (and squishy!) package.

I do not have much experience with Verfolgers - they are good, from what you say? (I play primarily WiE nowadays, and would like to fit in some of the IS mechs togethers with their clan ones).

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

KnoxZone posted:

The Verfolger might be my favorite battlemech. It has high mobility, exceptional firepower at both long and close ranges, a nice hole puncher in the ER PPC and a good critting tool in the LB-10, good armor, heat efficient, and has a relatively low bv cost. It does have one major weakness in that it has 5 tons of ammo stored in a single XL Engined side torso, but flaws can be fun to deal with too, as nobody likes a total cheese mech.

Verfolgers are also primarily produced on Arc-Royal, so they are a chassis you would definitely expect to see in a mixed-tech WiE force.

What are other mechs that compliment it in a Star? Timber Wolves? Looking at a heavy Star here.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

Another thing to note is that your heavy star need not all be heavies. When a unit is "heavy" or "light" that's really more of a guideline, and a little variety in the unit weight helps make your unit not just more versatile on the board, but more interesting to play, too. You might field, say, three heavies and two mediums, which would let you keep a solid core of firepower for throw weight, but you'd have a more capable flanking element coming from units like the Ryoken or Fenris, which can manage some serious movement while putting out a lot of damage.

I was always under the impression to create a unit with similar movement brackets so it is easier to keep them together for focus fire, but your point about flanking is a very good one.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

golden bubble posted:

Basically it's the only mech missile weapon in the game that's better than the clan LRM, and that's including other experimental weapons. I think the only thing I'd rate above it is that clan RAC10 from the magazine.

What is the clan RAC10 like?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

hooman posted:

Basically the really stuck in their ways ones will be winnowed out by the "dishonourable" warfare of the inner sphere. The more flexible clanners will survive which may produce an evolution in at least invasion force opinions and culture. The culture clash between the veterans and those in clan space would be interesting once all the non ejectors are dead.

NOTE: I may be completely wrong, everything I know about battletech I learned from wikis and this thread. :eng99:

That sort of happened in canon too, as I recall. One of the reasons given for Wolves going through FRR like knife through hot butter was that though FRR is one of the more unconventional armies (due to being a small state stuck between great houses), they were one of the Clans that adapted more quickly to Inner Sphere tactics.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

B since I like how the snow ravens is one of those who put importance in aerospace superiority.

G as I want to see a sane clanner do well.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Most of the Clans were starting to do their own thing at that point. That's why Nicholas wanted to make an example of one, and quickly, while he still had significant influence over them all. Interestingly, it's this same timeframe that shaped the Falcons into one of the more conservative Clans. They were actually pretty liberal at the time, and another of the Clans good old Nick was considering using as an example. In fact, some of their castes were having a protest at the time, when he mentioned he was dropping by for a visit. The Falcon Khans at the time saw the implicit threat of that, and weren't willing to blatantly go against every other Clan the way the Wolverines did, and so cracked down on it with brutal force, where previously they'd allowed them.

As for the Wolverines, if I recall correctly it was initially a Trial of Absorption(at least theoretically) called after McEvedy walked out, and only got bumped up to Annihilation after they dropped a nuke on the Snow Ravens Genetic Repository. McEvedy's biggest flaw was a short temper, as it's possible she could have reversed the tables on Nicholas with some work, but she instead exploded.

Incidentally, the Snow Ravens seem to be the go-to Clan in-verse when the writers just wanted to beat up on one without actually destroying it. They got devastated during the Wars of Reaving too, to the point that they basically got absorbed by a Periphery State.

The Wars of Reaving were fun. Also known as the Adders play chessmaster(rather successfully) and the Vipers are loving idiots who manage to accidentally, but absolutely perfectly, set up their own Annihilation.

I do not know much about the Clan's infancy, as I did not get those books. Was it explained why the Wolves went the way they did? I mean, if Nicholas Kerensky decided to add himself to the Wolves, I would expect them to be one of the more conservative Clans rather than one of the most liberal in the canon time line.

I did get the WoR book though, the Snow Ravens did not get absorb, no? It seems more similar to what the Ghost Bears did, due to them being impressed by their pilots.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I am surprised they turned out warden though, what with Nicky's personality as you all described from Operation: Klondlike. Also, he murdered his brother?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Despite how many fantastic things went down, my favorite part of the update was still the Clan Admiral requesting a tacit suicide after committing atrocities.

I like it, though to contrast canon, did they mention anything about the captain/admiral responsible for Turtle Bay?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Going for C here.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It is worth noting here that nothing says these "good things" will be good for the players.

I'm on to your tricks, PTN!

And it is then revealed the Capellans have a warship in orbit...

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Love the fluff piece there. Makes one wonder what a talented pilot can make the Wyvern do.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I hope we see more of that Sha Yu pilot, his mental state is mostly calm throughout (and suspicious).

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

It also didn't work because Waterly thought the Com Guard security detail that the Clans let stick around to do rent-a-cop work would be able to handle the Clan garrisons. Somehow.

Well, Clan garrison units tend not to be good, so there is a small chance for whatever security detail is left.

A really small chance.

Probably what she thought.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

So their ranks are test pilots, and most of them named after the heavenly beasts.

Qing Long - 青龍, azure dragon
Zhu Que - 朱雀, vermilion bird or red Phoenix
Bai Hu - 白虎, white tiger
Xuan Wu - 玄武, literally translates as mysterious warrior, though it is the name of the black tortoise.

Tengshe is kind of the odd one out there, but refers to 騰蛇, literally soaring snake, or flying dragon.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

PTN, do you know chinese? Your usage of chinese words and pinyin are rather accurate.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Preechr posted:

If the unaccounted-for weight turns out to be some kind if lightweight LAM-conversion gear so they can form the Liaozord, it will make my day.

They are actually limb-conversion gear - each of them attach to the dropship as limb/head to form the Tian Long (天龍,heavenly or sky dragon).

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

In canon, there is a spider variant that replaces a laser with a flamer, and another variant that replaces the 2 lasers with 2 machine guns.

Both are altered for anti-infantry work.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Well, was certainly not expecting them to war crime their own cadet.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Weissritter posted:

They are actually limb-conversion gear - each of them attach to the dropship as limb/head to form the Tian Long (天龍,heavenly or sky dragon).

Not quite this, but I guessed the name of the dropship at least! Or it was mentioned already in a previous update that I missed out on.

With the dropship firing its weapon on the car, will it shoot goonlance as well?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Wonder if the number 4 taboo (as in the death homophone) extended into Capellan culture as well, due to Chinese influence. If so, then I guess Tiger really is going to get taken down due to Dragon's rating there. Should've rated him an 8 for good fortune instead!

She did not explicitly give him a numerical rating, it was more of a saying. So he should be fine.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

True, I was more going off of PTN's response to my comment and posting tongue in cheek. Don't take too much from it.

Still, Tiger is the most likely member of the Legendary Beast squad to get taken out, what with the damaged CT from this turn.

Wonder if that will get them to back off, or just enrage them.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Shadow Hawk Xuan Wu (Black ACE!)
- Targets Jinggau’s Center Torso!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Jinggau (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 dusk - 0 targeting computer = 8): rolled 10, rolls 7 to confirm, Hit Rear Center Torso (4/9 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Jinggau (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 dusk - 0 targeting computer = 8): rolled 10, rolls 4 to confirm, hit Rear Left Torso (/ armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Jinggau (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 dusk - 0 targeting computer = 8): rolled 9, rolls 5 to confirm, hit Rear Center Torso (0/9 armor, 3/21 remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Jinggau (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 dusk - 0 targeting computer = 8): rolled 12, rolls 7 to confirm, hit Rear Center Torso (0/21 structure remaining)! `Mech destroyed!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 30!

Ouch. Poor Jinggau.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Newcomer is yellow dragon, and a colonel... I forgot, can you indirect fire LRMs beyond their normal range?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

That was a good mission, voting for A to stick with the Carlos's group.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Narsham posted:

The mission set-up suggests that these four Comstar mechs are defending the site in part to allow for an evacuation. Presumably the Capellans know that's the case. If they wait to seize the place until the evacuation's complete, the mechs can withdraw and go into hiding. If they try to level the place with artillery they may not even have, the place is hardened enough that it's only likely to drive the mechs off, which again means they go to ground. If my impression from this thread is correct, the idea that the Capellans might launch a premature attack to kill off all four Comstar mechs even if doing so means suffering casualties they can't afford isn't just plausible, it's straight out of the main Capellan playbook.

Well, they do take their warcrimes very seriously.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I love the set-up to this mission. Though I wonder if the Legendary Beasts squad will show up if Goonlance performs really well.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I wonder if them withdrawing once armor is breached means that whether goons win or lose, some form of warcrime (in gaseous form) is incoming.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

To be fair, one of the two wins in the Great Refusal WAS by a Homeworld Clan. Admittedly it was by possibly the most pragmatic Clan of them all, who structures their Touman and tactics in a far more modern military sense than any of the others, but a win is a win. And the other win was by a Clan that did stick to Zellbrigen for that fight, though doing so was very deliberate decision. The fact that both also made wise terrain choices and actually made use of the terrain helped too.

First one sounds like the Hell's Horse, second is... Star Adder? A little rusty on that.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Aha. More interesting test pilot names. 2 of those names needs no introduction to anyone familiar with dynasty warriors.

Cao Cao - is the leader of Wei during the 3 Kingdoms era.
Cao Mao - is Cao Pi's grandson, which makes him Cao Cao's great grandson.
Lu Bu - a talented warrior during the 3 kingdoms period who had some... personality quirks.
Jiang Shi - zombie! Hopping zombie to be precise, since their joints are too stiff to walk about according to legends.
Xiang Liu - a nine headed monster in Chinese mythology. Has cyan-skinned human faces on a snake body.

And as before, all their ranks are 'Test Pilot'.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Or even a Guan Yu or Liu Bei to oppose them... Kernoff seems more like a Lu Bu, but they already have one in their ranks...

We need a Diaochan to make him defect. :v:

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

The reason Clan Ghost Bear uses so many Firemoths is to poo poo on Clan Ice Hellion's stupid Mad Max gimmick.

In Clan Space, there was no one more hated than the Ice Hellions. To put that in perspective: both the Jade Falcons and Steel Vipers exist.

I always thought the Falcons were reasonably respected by the Crusaders.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Mukaikubo posted:

Given that we are talking about the stupidity of the homeworld Clans in canon, I feel like it is my responsibility- as one of the few people in the thread that does not appear to viscerally loathe the clans in and out of game and would wish that they had never been invented- to give a sort of counterexample.

Consider if you will, a Clan founded by a near universally respected army commander in Kerensky's army, someone who when they were allowed to choose their warriors to found their clan opted to choose an enlisted man and technician as their second in command rather than a mechwarrior and officer (though his choice quickly tested successfully to become a mechwarrior), a founder that from the word go drilled into his troops the value of meticulous planning and preparation, in contrast to the Ice Hellions GOTTAGOFAAAAAAAAAST ethos, and a founder who was responsible for planning the successful liberation of the Clans' homeworld. Consider this clan that early on, looked around and said, "So, okay, trueborns are obviously at the top of the heap, but we would have to be a special kind of moron to reject freeborn warriors who are good at their jobs, or old warriors who can still fight. You know what? Let us not go out of our way to denigrate people who can still fight well for the clan. You know what? Let us go fruther, let us make a special position whose responsibility is to speak up for lower ranking warriors, freeborns, and non-warriors to the Khans, just so we can be sure we are not loving things up here." Consider this clan that almost alone regards the Kerenskys as genius military leaders but not actual demigods, a clan that has a functioning Watch that can find their rear end with both hands... are you getting the picture?

Consider this clan, whose response to the Dragoon intelligence reports was NOT confusion and derision, but a sober estimate of how much force it would actually take to conquer Terra. Their carefully planned estimate was, of course, eliminated from bidding as the other morons all bid low because of course the invasion would be easy. This clan had to sit around and watch as their moron brothers and sisters got their faces beat in and stalled out not even halfway to Terra and lose almost every major battle they fought in, and then after two years of that had to watch their moron siblings still not learn their lesson and plan out a campaign like they would and as a result get turfed on Tukayyid. But that was okay! This clan got into a bit of a scrap, and then absorbed another clan that ended up working with pirates and tried to cover it up, and finally moved into a leadership position of the clans. So finally the Inner Sphere comes to Strana Mechty, and this clan we are considering perks up and puts their intelligence into action. They beat the living poo poo out of the First Free Worlds Guards with barely any losses. Only the Falcons managed to win aside from them. But then they get back to their encampment and, SURPRISE! Their moron siblings managed to gently caress it all up and now the entire invasion of the inner sphere, which they were kept out of because they were too smart and planned too well, has been rejected.

Look, I am not saying that Clan Star Adder is perfect, but they are probably the least unlikable and most competent clan. Go Star Adder! You frankly do not belong in the canon clans. You are far too effective and sane.

Is it any surprise after all that poo poo that after the Wars of Reaving the Star Adders basically run the homeworld clans? As in they have a massive, massive majority of basically everything, the other surviving homeworld clans that did not flee are their puppets... they run the joint. They are simply competent, which few other clans can boast.

Voting for E after reading this.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ten.

Edit: And here's the five I'm willing to spoil:

The Rampage is the one that needed a major sprite overhaul.

Ohhh, some nice mechs there.

Are their G/P values on a relative scale? I remember reading you mentioning that they are adjusted to be relative to each other for one of the missions.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

For a moment I thought Gong Gong was referring to grandfather :v:

Anyway, for some of the new test pilots, we have:

Gong Gong - water god
Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, Liu Bei - Bloodsworn brothers. Liu Bei being the leader of Shu during the Three Kingdoms period.
Zhi Ren - Literally paper person. In this case, paper dolls burnt as offerings to the dead. "Golden boy jade girl" is a phrase used in both Taoism and Buddhism - which folklore assimilated into the pair of male/female dolls that do the bidding of their deceased master. You also see them quite a bit during chinese new years as greeting banners/stickers (those are more Taoist/Buddhist than the folklore).

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Those Steiner rules really paying off, even getting Dusk to get in on the action (I know, she is player-controlled, but loving the fluff). Is she a canon Steel Viper character? Seems almost too reasonable.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Player MVP: King Cobra
Opfor MVP: Pillager

Great to see the assault mace doing some work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

We've just had the Society. Now we see a Lion made of Stone...

Quite the Stony Lion.

• Locked thread