Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Do votes from the peanut gallery count? Or is it ultimately up to the pilots?

Because I'll vote to grant them SAFCON, except if the pilots want to keep fighting, I suppose they'll just keep on mashing the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

TildeATH posted:

I blame all of you both individually and combined.

Ahhh, except you see, you can't blame me, because I'm not even on the pilot list.

I am truly The Peanut Gallery! (smile)

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Wow, this takes me back; Dynamix made a bunch of awesome games, and I wasted a great many hours of my youth in front of my computer because of then.

I remember clearly trying to wrap my head around the control system; "Why do I have to control walking, turning, aiming, firing, and more turning (torso) separately!?! Who comes up with this stuff!?!"

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

TildeATH posted:

So do only Patreon funders get to know about that Marauder or what?

You know, for all the years of entertainment this thread has given me, I should really chip in a buck or five.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

GhostStalker posted:

Goon MVP: Banshee for cutting off the cyberzombie Marauder and as the last mech standing
Honorable mention to the Green Knight for taking out the Dire Wolf by aiming high
OpFor MVP: King Cobra for going smashy smashy on the Marauder

Sounds good, +1!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Chronojam posted:

What ever happened to the ai control drop ship?

In the CapCon somewhere?

Hopefully we'll get another 'State of the Sphere' style update with the next mission vote.

Speaking of, now that we know what the Lyrans are up to, maybe now's a good time to check in on that CapCon interdiction?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
A6

Steiner can't fight this next invasion wave alone, Serpent Alliance be damned.

Might as well get the Drac-Suns involved; Hanse's kids can marry some Germanic princess after its all over.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

vorebane posted:

I can only assume 'the day' is a popular federated suns soap opera.

There is only one Soap Opera in Battletech, and the name is "Immortal Warrior".

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

vorebane posted:

. . . and of course 'MY HOME PLANET!'

My mistake, how can I ever forget 'MY HOME PLANET!!!'

Especially it being a Steiner/Skye/Serpent Vote!!!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
My favorite will always be 'Saved by Dragoon'.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
This vote is waaay too close for comfort; I actually care about this one, because, Steiner.

RA Rx posted:

Let's analyze why they're mutually exclusive... Perhaps 6 is a rallying cry against the clans in general and makes an alliance with the Steel Viper alliance impossible?

That's actually a good point, not sure why its mutual exclusive exactly.

Perhaps you're right, one 4 is Steiner and Serpents fighting off the next wave to preserve their homes; 6 is Spheroids vs. Clanners?

Unless its as simple as 'Go find your own fight, Hanse!'

Also, do we know of the new invasion corridors? Some of it must grow through the Drac part of the Drac-Suns; wouldn't it be at least neighborly to tell Poppa Fox?

CourValant fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 18, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

He's still a more sane leader than a Kerensky.

Night10194 posted:

Lowest of all bars.

Let's be fair here, Kerensky the Elder commanded the entirety of the SLDF and put down both the periphery rebellion and the Amaris Coup.

Whether or not you agree with the Exodus, his troops had enough respect for his command to jump into oblivion with him.

All source material points to him as being a competent, professional, and beloved military commander.

The crazy didn't happen until he found himself at the edge of the abyss, and even then, its was after a) he died and b) Niki took one in the head.

Alternate Universe Kerensky (i.e., ilKlan Natasha), that's a difference matter altogether.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Defiance Industries posted:

Furthermore, the entire Amaris Coup wouldn't have happened if he didn't do such a bad job as Regent.

Actually, I never got that part; he's a solider, not a babysitter, why would anyone think he'd do a good job raising a Cameron?

He could have been Regent without having the sole responsibility of molding the next leader of the Star League.

In any event, let's not argue about the efficacy of a fictional character in a Stompy Robot Combat setting; I just didn't want to see another setting character reduced to a 'one-liner pile-on'.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Psion posted:

I have no idea which to vote for, really. I know 4 and 6 have a ton of traction and for good reason, but hmmm

What would it take to get you in a 'six' today? (smile)

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

I always just pronounced it like Hans in my head.

This is how I read it as well.

Davion is space Anglo-Saxons, so why would it be 'Han-sel' in the Germanic tradition?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Things are still too close for me to comfortably call this vote.

So, what's your feel on how and when to call it then?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
For those re-upping, how much time involvement is required to coordinate a turn?

I've been following this thread for years, and I told myself maybe I should sign-up, once we hit the end of the roster.

And, here we are; so while I do want to play, I also don't want to commit to it then find out I don't have the time to do it well.

How involved is that player google doc discussion?

Also, I don't have PM?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

sebmojo posted:

maybe an hour a week? a few hours if you really get into it.

Ardlen posted:

Just make sure you have enough time to get your orders in twice a week and you will be fine.

PTN can also contact you over e-mail if you don't have PMs.

Alright, then I guess its time to see how I fare under the neuro-helmet.

PTN, please add me as a first time pilot. Also, what's the best way to get you my email without posting it here in public?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

vorebane posted:

generally you should be able to get away with something like 'person (locATed) site (polka DOT) com' and then edit it out once PTN acknowledges he's gotten it.

Yeah, just wondering if I can get his email and message him instead of posting here.

If not, I'll spoiler tag it here I suppose.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

sebmojo posted:

spoiler tags won't do anything, spell it out then delete once ptn has it

Thanks.

Hey PTN, please let me know when you're monitoring, and I'll update my original pilot request post to include my email, thanks.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just post it, I'll let you know when it's safe to remove it.

Edit: Any time after 1:00 MST tomorrow would work well. I'll be home shortly after that.
Thanks PTN, please see my email as follows:

redacted

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: I'm calling the vote tonight. You guys almost successfully voted for the total collapse of the Lyran Commonwealth.
I'll wait until I see the update, although if this goes the way the thread thinks its going to go, then I'll be a bit confused as to why building a coalition to resist the next wave of the Clan invasion would result in the collapse of the Commonwealth.

CourValant fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 21, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
:ocelot:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Does no one else like the Lyrans, other than me?

Also, I don't think I'll ever understand how "More Clans are coming, help me fight them or they'll overwhelm us all" translates to "enjoy taking a chunk out of Donegal, because in 6 months you'll be steamrolled too. "

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

And then Space Coffeehitler steps in during the hard times the Space Germans are going through...
Stop. Right. There. No one wants go down that conversation path.

Also, what's your faction preference then? Cappies, Ghost Bear, Lyrans?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

I am not a complex man.
Me neither.

Clans are munchkins, and I refuse to play Clan-Tech (DHS and ER-PPCs are plain BS).

I like the Lyrans because they offer the highest standard of living in the IS, you can have nice things like gaming consoles and vids, and New Kyoto has even better ramen then Luthien.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

You're missing out on a lot.
Yeah I know, especially when I get head capped at range.

Still, I get to claim that I 'fought the good fight'; besides, I prefer zombie 'mechs (XL crit slots in side torsos are also BS).

Please don't put me in a 3025 Centurion for my deployment; pretty please with sugar on top you handsome devil you? :heysexy:

New Kyoto was settled by actual Japanese people. The Combine became "Japanese" when a huge weeb made everyone dress like samurai and wear kimonos or he would kill them.
Yeah I know, which is why they have The Best ramen. :munch:

CourValant fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 21, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
C: Operation Rabies Shot

The CapCon has been left alone for far, far too long.

Time to pull back the veil and see what fresh hell has been brewing.

Edit:

It just occurred to me that a rabies shot is only effective before the animal shows symptoms.

Being that Justin Xiang and company (i.e., the entire CapCon) are already 'rabid dogs', the only shot to be administered in fact from the muzzle of a gun.

This is an extermination; we're putting down the entire pack, once and for all.

CourValant fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 25, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
. . . all along the watchtower . . .

There are patrol boats right?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't normally post it before the actual mission intro, but I'm taking extra care to make sure the fight is going to be interesting/balanced and I really like the way the map came out, so here you go.

. . . seven roads in, seven roads out . . .

Its a really nice map, the effort certainly shows.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Olothreutes posted:

Yeah, but these are probably AI controlled society tech Urbies or something. iATM-9s and NOVA CEWS, and whatever other toys they can come up with.

That would be wonderful, an Urbie with a 2500BV.

So, assuming there will be a primer for those unfamiliar with Alpha Strike?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

As if Romano Liao would give the St. Ives Lancers too much of the good stuff.

So, the Lancers are no longer the elite showpiece of the CapCon?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

mekilljoydammit posted:

Linked from the Battletech forum so... I have to assume it's legit.

Thanks!

sebmojo posted:

and wildcats?

Only if they're on the prowl.

. . . The Second St. Ives were approaching,
And the wind began to howl . . .

Are you sure you aren't confusing the St. Ives Lancers with the Red Lancers?

Zaodai posted:

Or possibly confusing them with Burl Ives, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM Confederation?

I'm just going by the Sarna entries; CapCon was never a favorite of mine, so I never paid much attention to their TO&E.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/1st_St._Ives_Lancers

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/2nd_St._Ives_Lancers

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, what I'm saying is, TMM is a good mechanic.

Xarbala posted:

. . . something as simple as having a set "dodge rating" based on a unit's movement scores . . .

In my head I'm imagining 'mechs doing jumping jacks, running in place/laps, burpees, etc., in their hex to 'build up' their movement modifier.

You know, the good old Dodge Duck Dip Dive Dodge.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

This isn't the entire opforce.

The Support Lance is borrowing the SPAs from a Command Lance that isn't on the field yet.

This makes more sense, let's see what Cathay The Jungle has in store.

. . . we took these real long walks, and we were always looking for this guy named Charlie . . .

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Hey GoonLance,

Thanks for discussing your moves in the thread, makes it much more interesting for us spectators (as opposed to 'hiding' the conversation in the Google Doc).

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

sebmojo posted:

actually it would be amazing if people want to take the map and scrawl lines/dicks on it so we can get our vicarious fix of robotactix on

This reminds me, whatever happened to that guy who posted commentary between rounds?

I really enjoyed his 'ESPN'ing' the Solaris match.

How long ago was that now?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Hey, just wanted to say, really enjoyed your posts.

I thought the repetition was part of the 'homage' to Madden; after all, the man didn't have anything new to say either, he just repeated himself over and over as well.

If you ever do bust it out again, and need a co-anchor, or 'man-on-the-field, just saying!

:ocelot:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Best. TLA. Ever.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Good grief, Sgt. Todorov is quite Russian isn't he? All optimism and sunshine up the 'mech pipe.

That's a lot of pristine OPFOR against our diminishing Company.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Society tech is bullshit

I'm getting a headache trying to reconcile my CBT knowledge base and all this new-fangled Alpha Strike stuff.

Society tech was bad enough in the 'normal' game; Septs?!? Really?!?

And its a bad headache too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
A bit delayed, and, get better soon fellow goon 'mech buddy!

• Locked thread