Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I'll sign up to be a MechWarrior. I haven't played tabletop in a few years, but I'm familiar with the rules (if a bit rusty).

My vote for faction unit goes to the Federated Suns, specifically the Kell Hounds - they're a fun unit and you've got them smack dab between the Kuritas and Liaos which gives a nice selection in OpFor tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Cythereal posted:

What could possibly go wrong?

Famous last words (of a clanner)

PTN, what's the rule on discussing alternate history stuff? For example, In reading the ComStar blurb you have up there I had chills when considering whether Myndo Waterly might end up pulling a Phelan - that sort of discussion okay or do you want us to keep it down?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

Put it all together and the choice is clear. Kell Hounds and let's kick Kuritan rear end, kick Liao rear end, and then go into Kuritan space and kick Clanner rear end. Those are, like, the three most fun factions to shoot up.

:neckbeard::hf::neckbeard: Kell buddies!

Although it's more like "Kick Kurita rear end, have a snack, get jumped by filthy Liaos, yawn while pounding their faces in, take a nap, fight some Clanners" :rock:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

:hehe::respek::black101:

Kell Hounds would really be the pro choice. Not only "all that stuff I listed", but on top of that we'd be mercenaries albeit on long term contract to the Davions. Meaning we will have a lot more freedom with in game decisions than an outright House unit. Think about it, guys! If politics gets really wild we can always hire out a company to hotspots for 'live fire training' and maybe completely screw up entire sectors of space! So join us. Vote Kell Hounds. Because it'll be FUN.

[img-wouldyouliketoknowmore.jpg]

Being a merc group really does give PTN a lot more options as far as the narrative goes. Especially with an established one like the Hounds. Plus they're right in the drat middle of the Sphere, that means he can bring virtually anything in except the Clans (until later I guess). It really is the best of all worlds.

Also because the Hounds are awesome and House Davion is the best. :colbert:

Mukaikubo posted:

Edit: Also, PTN, I am volunteering in advance to pull recon duties because that will be fun as hell and I love light/light medium mechs. Maybe a nice Assassin... :D

Hell, I'll do the same for fire support. Nothing like sitting in the warm cockpit of an Archer while the recon dudes spot for you... :c00l:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 21, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: I think he meant in a generally fluff/flavor fashion - any 'mech without an ejection system is objectively poo poo if you, you know, want to NOT DIE.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm actually referring to the Spider, the only 'Mech in the game that doesn't have an ejection system.

Now that you mention it, do the Stinger/Wasp/Locust have ejection systems? I seem to remember the fluff for one of the first two mentioning that the 'mech is so small the pilot/cockpit isn't even fully inside the head - the pilot's legs actually extend into the neck/upper torso, and I'm not sure how an ejection system would work like that.

Edit: Man, unless we get an infusion of some FWL or Combine groupies in here it looks like the faction choice is locked up. :v:

(FWL groupies are officially suckers, just FYI)

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 21, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Oh snap I just realized that in 3032 Anastasius Focht would be 60. What's he kicking around doing PTN?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I vote for the Lyrian Commonwealth.

The problem with a Lyran group (other than leadership, but PTN's changes have managed to dodge the bullet on at least one of those) is that since they looove their assault mechs, a well-played group of lights and mediums can really gently caress you up.

Would be an interesting choice to play as, though, have to admit. Especially since you've got the Clans knocking on the doorstep from the start.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also, Focht is Frederick Steiner, and he's currently the General of the Armies of the Lyran Commonwealth.

I was trying not to 'spoil' that little thing. :doh: But I guess for all we know it won't even happen now.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tempest_56 posted:

Surprise! They're all Chargers!

Oh poo poo, changing my vote to Davion Heavy Guard.

(Only if they really are all Chargers though)

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Big mechs. Colossal shooty bits.

I will not be swayed on this matter :colbert:

If you want big stompy mechs you should vote Lyran.

Here's the Lyran scout mech:

(It's 80 tons)

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 21, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Dominus Caedis posted:

Voting Comstar because who wouldn't want to work for the phone company while driving a 50 ft tall death robot. Also means we get to fight Clanners earlier and I hate me some Clanners.

Awesome, I get to use this image again:

Agent Interrobang posted:

That would honestly be hilarious. Just an entire 24-mech company of NOTHING BUT CHARGERS. Fear the sting of 5 whole small lasers! :rolleyes:

We'd be the recon company of course. :science:

(Also a company of mechs is only 12, 4 4-mech lances (traditionally); a battalion would be 36 mechs)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

... that makes me want to come up with a 'football' scenario.

"Locust-ball"?

I thought the Linebacker was the team linebacker. :downsrim:

Ahahahaha! Hah... Oh, man... a Line-

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Omnimechs after 3050 are all junk. :colbert:

(Seriously why would you ever need more than a dozen or so chassis when you can swap out armament and have 3 dozen 'official' loadouts or whatever)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah, pretty much. I mean... OMNIMECH. The whole point is that they're modular, and thus, you don't need to keep making new designs. Especially not stupid-looking ones.

Serious discussion: I honestly can't think of a reason why you would need more than (maybe) 2 omnimech chassis for each weight bracket (20, 25, 30, etc) except for maaaybe one or two 'special snowflake' designs for each Clan.

Kenlon posted:

Sanest explanation: Omni-mechs aren't entirely omni. Reconfiguring a machine to use a non-standard loadout takes significant time/effort due to all the tweaks needed (gyro balancing, electronics and targeting reconfiguration, etc). So, what you get are pre-designed setup packages (Prime/A/B/C, etc) that can be quickly swapped in and set up.

Yeah, I get that line of reasoning (even agree with it) but there really wouldn't be an '5 loadout maximum' rule or whatever. You can just eas easily have a Masakari-J or Nova-N, etc.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 21, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

Really, because chicks- even clan chicks- dig sexy mechs.

It's even cooler when you really get to pilot them. Back when the Virtual World centers were still around I loved to hit them up for the pods they had there - I never got to go after they had the updated Firestorm graphics but sitting in what was basically a cockpit with knobs and switches everywhere and a disembodied voice calmly stating things like "Heat critical, reactor shutdown imminent" was awesome. :aaa:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Polaron posted:

I loved playing the Mech Pods they had at Circle Center Mall here in Indianapolis.

They're gone now. :(

Sometimes you can still find them at Dave and Buster's, I think they bought up all the pods (that weren't already sold to rich gently caress private collecters) when VWE went under.

I also get sad when I think about MechWarrior 5 and how it'll probably never come out. :(

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Axe-man posted:

I love those, and wait did they do an upgrade to mech 4 graphics lately? i haven't gotten the newest add packs like i use too but please link a brother.

Not exactly. The way I understand it is that the MW4 graphics engine is basically the same as the Firestorm update they developed for the pods, fleshed out with singleplayer gameplay and junk.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: If your computer can run Crysis Wars there's a MechWarrior total conversion that's supposed to be pretty awesome. I wouldn't know since I can't get it to run on my computer for some reason though. :argh:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Well, in that case, sign me up for the biggest, stompiest mech you can find :kamina:

So a Goliath then?

(Quad 'mechs yay :downs:)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

What the poo poo

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

...it's not even a very good mech...

That thing reminds me of the random bullshit munchkin designs I would make up with my friends when we were 12. Like, I took a Phoenix Hawk chassis once and made up some rule to give it an energy blade or something.

Looking at that thing just makes me think 'anime'. 3 pilots? And how the hell would you move at anything approaching speed with a tripedal leg design?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

TildeATH posted:

Much more of that and it's an OGRE.

Waitaminute, an OGRE LP...

That sounds promising.

I don't know anything about this OGRE stuff, but I would pa good money for a BOLO game. :black101:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Dominus Caedis posted:

Also hoping that you get to pilot a hatchet-mech for a great pilot/username combo.

For the timeline of this LP there really aren't many (any?) options for dedicated melee 'mechs other than the Hatchetman which is a pretty bad 'mech. It's decently-gunned for its weight but slow and lightly armored, and expected to get up close to other, heavier 'mechs to use its namesake/gimmick.

At least it has a proper ejection system, though (the whole head pops off, a design choice later recreated with the Wolfhound which is an example of a very very good light 'mech design)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Polaron posted:

Alternate history, maaaan! We're through the looking glass! It could exist at any time!

Only if I get a Gallowglas. :colbert:

Oh and a pony for Agent Interrobang. :c00lbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Axe-man posted:

This is the dark gritty future instead you get this

Every mech with 'IIC' in the designation was a horrible idea. :emo:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

This is still less goofy and stupid than some ACTUAL mech names.

I'm having trouble thinking of any examples, unless you're talking about 3060+ stuff which I pretty much erased from memory they must have been so bad.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Exception: Marauder IIC and Warhammer IIC. Like the originals, but bigger and better.

... But unnecessary when you have the Mad Cat and Thor.

I just don't see why the Clans deal with non-Omni designs at all. Yeah, garrison troops, old warriors, whatever. Material used to make a standard mech is materials NOT used making an Omnimech, which ton for ton is pretty categorically better.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

As terribly hilarious as this is, I'm really hoping it doesn't catch on. :ohdear:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Axe-man posted:

is it sad that i saw that and instantly thought that rear facing weapons have almost always been a stupid idea? :supaburn:

No, because I did the exact same thing. :colbert:

Also an involuntary "it shits medium lasers" mental joke.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is that Ravage from the Transformers?

No, it's a 'totem mech' for Clan Hell's Horses. Yes, it's dumb. At least the Kodiak kind of worked as a bear totem mech.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

TildeATH posted:

They would have been okay if they hadn't had to pose them like America's Next Top BattleMech Star!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Axe-man posted:

Ironically, look what the clicky models look like now days :rolleyes:

Both of those look horrible? Not sure what point you were trying to make here.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Axe-man posted:

Oh I thought that basically they were tryign to copy the anime style like the maurader you posted. :psyduck: Maybe that is just in my head, eitherway it's all the same stuff rolling downhill.

I got it, bro. :c00l::respek::c00l:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Popy posted:

Voting for Kell Hounds . I've only really played Mechwarrior 4: Mercenary. Is it possible to stack enough PPCs to instantly melt poo poo? if so that needs to happen.

If you don't mind risking your reactor blowing the hell up every time you fired, maybe.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tarquinn posted:

Customization is for pussies anyway. :cool:

On a more serious note, BattleTech kind of falls apart when you start customizing mechs and making new ones. Without sticking to 'fluff' reasoning it becomes all too easy/tempting to make ubermechs (and omnis are about as close as I'd want to go toward that end).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

That's pretty ironic considering that the original designs were just lifted from robot animes of the day (unless you were talking specifically about the mechs from the original 3055 TR, in which case I'd like to point out that all the non anime mechs in that book look even worse).

Most of the original ones looked a lot more 'war machine-y' than your typical anime mech, though.

Pladdicus posted:

Isn't there a light model with an ER PPC? I just remember using it on the aformentioned Crysis mod to great effect. Sure you can only fire once a minute, but you can down light mechs and you move pretty drat quick.

Not sure which ones were included in MWLL, but the Panther carries a PPC (or ER PPC, depending on era) and is a pretty potent light mech.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

TildeATH posted:

They weren't lifted from anime, they were taken from Bolo. Everyone knows that. And they were a lot more gritty and hardcore in Bolo.

It doesn't get any more gritty and hardcore than BOLO :black101:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

Are you talking about the 3055 TR? Because the few mechs in there that are at least perspectively correct are the anime ones. If you're talking about the original battletech mechs, then I still don't see your point because all those were from macross or some other anime?

No I'm talking about the original 3025 ones (specifically the Unseen). The Warhammer is directly out of Macross but it looks anything but 'anime' IMO. But then again there's the Stinger/Wasp, Phoenix Hawk, Crusader... yeah.

quote:

I haven't followed battletech in a *long* time so you'll have to educate me about Bolo.

It was a joke, BOLOS have nothing to do with BattleTech but are pretty awesome.

PoptartsNinja posted:

... Which is going to be difficult, because one of the 'Mechs I (semi-)randomly selected only has 1.5 tons of armor.

24 points of armor on a MECH? There's an actual design with that little armor somewhere? Unless you're talking about one of those bullshit protomechs I have no clue what it could be.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 22, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

Is there any turnbased game that is in tone with the Battletech series, preferable something with a campaign and decent AI?

Really want to get my mech strategy on, plus it'd be a nice warm up for the thread.

No, and there really should be. I still think if someone could take MegaMek, give it a graphical overhaul (think 3/4 isometric with 3d modeled units) and come up with AI so you could play it singleplayer in a campaign setting that it would sell like loving hotcakes.

Oh, the POSES are dumb, mos def, they do not fit the tone or aesthetic at all. Not even arguing that. I just kinda dislike the persistent 'hurf durf haet anime' sentiment I always see cropping up in Battletech communities, since I kinda like both varieties of giant kickass robots. Truce?

There's seriously like a Giant Robot Continuum:

<--BattleTech-----------Real Robots------------------Giant Robots--->

They're all cool, all have their place, and you can enjoy more than one as long as you can keep them separate (IMO of course). :cheers:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 22, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

TildeATH posted:

I suppose you're allowed to have your own preference... Just don't expect to get one of these hand-made Behemoth Christmas cards that I'm reserving for BT fans who don't like anime.

Holdin' out for a Barghest card. :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Since you guys seem a bit bored, help me pick an era-appropriate command 'Mech for a lance of medium-weight Kell Hounds.

What kind of lance? And does the command mech need to be a medium as well? If so I've always been a fan of the Griffin.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

For those of you who are knowledge in the series and mechs, could you list a few choice for us loosely initiated to vote on?

Some totally-not-biased options (on the assumption that this is not a 'heavy command mech with mediums' lance):

Centurion
Dervish
Enforcer
Griffin
Hunchback
Shadow Hawk
Trebuchet
Whitworth

I'm a big fan of the Enforcer, but the Griffin might work better for a commander who wants to hang back and direct battles.

Edit: If we end up going with the Kell Hounds an Enforcer would be pretty appropriate since a large portion of the Federate Suns Armed Forces uses that chassis. Or the Centurion makes for a pretty well-rounded mech that can be a danger at any range while still being relatively tough for its weight (also looks badass).

Edit 2: Comedy Yen-Lo-Wang option. :v:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 22, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

4/6's are probably out unless they're packing some hefty long-range firepower for shooting locusts in the back. Also, I want to avoid the Hatchetman for now--it won't get close enough to hit a good light 'Mech with that hatchet anyway.

In this case I'm definitely going to suggest a Griffin. 5/8/5 is a little slow for a scout but it can jump, and with a PPC and LRM-10 it can act as light fire support while directing the rest of the lance. It's also on the upper end of the scale for mediums and armored appropriately.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Out of that list, I'm going to go with the Shadow Hawk based purely on the fact that the design's cool.

The Shadow Hawk looks cool but mechanically it's poo poo. I mean it's got a weapon for every range but they're all some of the lightest/worst ones of each type. :saddowns:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

What the crap

Sarna.net posted:

Armaments

The Yen-Lo-Wang was originally armed with an Autocannon/20 in place of the Centurion's Autocannon/10, two Medium Lasers and either a Hatchet or a Claw.

Later on, Hanse Davion had Kai Allard-Liao's 'Mech upgraded with a Gauss Rifle in place of the Autocannon/20, three Medium Pulse Lasers and TSM. Presumably sometimes in the 32nd century, the ancient 'Mech was refitted with a Heavy Large Laser, an LRM-20 with Artemis IV, a Hatchet, and a Shield, which was piloted by Danai Liao-Centrella.

So I guess Dark Age didn't give a poo poo about tonnage limitations, eh?

Edit: Changing my vote for 'mech to a Trebuchet. For some reason I was thinking it was a 4/6/0. And it's a better choice for fire support than a Griffin overall.

Longinus00 posted:

A dervish would be better than a trebuchet.

Why do you say that? A Trebuchet carries 50% more missile throw weight and an extra laser in exchange for 4 SRMs...

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 22, 2011

• Locked thread