Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Jeremiah Rose is bad. I can honestly say, he's my second most hated Battletech protagonist (after Grayson "Jesus H Christ" Carlysle); and that's even including the protagonists you're supposed to hate.

I remember when he's having the flashback to Tukayyid and the entire little story is that over the course of that entire 'battle' (it's called a battle but it was really more like a loving pocket war) his Shootist was hit exactly twice. Both times by large lasers (or was it PPCs?) which carved into his mech's chest in an X pattern. He lost the majority of his Level II (IIRC) but his own mech came through practically unscathed.

I think I rolled my eyes so hard I gave myself a concussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Main Event

Oh god, I just remembered, this is the one where half the book is about Jeremiah and his sister putting together a mech company by fighting in Solaris. The cover's got Jeremiah's Shadow Hawk versus an Axeman and he should have died right there what the gently caress

PoptartsNinja posted:

And then he beat a <Redacted> with a puddle of water and a screwdriver.

... and I still hate him less than than I hate Grayson Carlysle.

Puddle of water, an armor-stripping tool thingy for mechs, a screwdriver and a live wire or some poo poo.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Zaodai posted:

I seem to recall it being a specially made needler pistol. Though my memory of it is vague.

She got it at the Big and Tall shop.

Needle Cannon

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

raverrn posted:

Man-pack Needle Pistol

Stick another couple barrels up top and make this fire needles and I think you've got it:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I also wouldn't mind a quick going over of the differences between holoscreens and holotanks.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

W.T. Fits posted:

Did our Commando pilot at least get his orders in? :ohdear:

Doesn't matter, Warrior-spotted artillery took off his head. :black101:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

(And no, I don't want to see either John Ringer or David Weber writing for BattleTech.)

The possibility of this happening both disgusts me while at the same time giving me a semi. :v:

(I've read pretty much all of Weber and Ringo's catalogues, along with Eric Flint and Steve White. What can I say, I like me some horrible books.)

Ringo would write a pretty bad-rear end <Redacted>-central book, I bet.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Notgothic posted:

John Ringo can go gently caress himself with a tampon, but I'd actually be interested in a Weber novel set pre-Tukayyid. It's not like he doesn't have a lot of experience with the premise "technologically-decadent society is mostly unaware that they are about to be steamrolled by more-advanced outsiders; meanwhile, theocrats are sitting on the technology that could turn the tide".

Imagine the WarShip battles Weber could write. :neckbeard:

Actually on second thought, that's a bad idea. I want him concentrating on his Safehold and Hell's Gate stuff. :black101:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

jng2058 posted:

but there is no bigger Mary Sue in literature today than Honor loving Harrington!

Calliope O'Neal
Michael O'Neal
Michelle O'Neal
Mike Harmon/Jenkins (<-- kills Osama Bin Laden in his first book)
Eric "Two-Gun" Berg

Ringo's much worse for Mary Sues (don't get me loving started on his Ghost series). Honor is pretty bad for it, but I'm convinced it's a by-product of having 11 books dedicated to her back-to-back. Weber finally figured out that he had to start writing about people other than her because she was a walking Deus Ex Machina. But that's alright, it gave us more time with Anton Zilwicki and Victor Cachat (who isn't even Weber's creation).

To be fair to Weber though, most of his other protagonists aren't Mary Sues. Alicia DeVries, Colin whatever his last name is in the Dahak books, nobody in the Bug-verse books or the Hell's Gate stuff. Nimue Alban/Merlin Athrawes kind of counts, but it's sort of a central point to the character that he's outright superhuman, so...

Slaan posted:

I really want him to finish those. But he seems to get into the habit of writing 3/4 of a story, and then doing nothing with it. :argh:

Yeah, he seems to have dropped Hell's Gate (for now at least), but he wrote a fourth Safehold book recently (A Mighty Fortress, and it's pretty drat awesome). Some of his best stuff is one-off stories, though. The Apocalypse Troll or Path of the Furies/In Fury Born. And I actually really got into the Empire of Man books, and that's like the sperg holocaust of series (Weber/Ringo).

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 4, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Notgothic posted:

I'd love to see a fourth Empire of Man book, though I guess he did kind of paint himself into a corner by wiping out 99.999% of the Fourth Empire and placing the Achuultani homeworld so far away. The Safehold series is fun though, since it's an extended do-over of Heirs of Empire and I loved that book.

I must be getting my series mixed up, because I just refer to that one as the Dahak books. The Empire of Man (or what I've been calling that) stuff is March Upcountry/March to the Stars/etc with Prince Richard whatever and his personal marine battalion stranded on a pre-technological world with lizard-like natives. Still very Weber in tone but with lots of Ringo-style ground-pounder oorah.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Why can't I learn? Does anyone write decent fleet action books without Superman or a cousin on the bridge? Is it really that hard?

If wet navies will work for you, try Weber's Safehold books. The protagonist for them shares some of the same Harrington-like perfection, but it's something of a core plot point that he's superhuman, and most of the time he's just a mysterious smug advisor type.

Edit: Or there's the Starfury (?) books, which are co-written by Weber and Steve White. Looots of fleet actions in those, and the timeline actually moves along in terms of decades, so no single character is really around long enough to become Mary Sue-ish. Crusade, In Death Ground, The Shiva Option, and Insurrection are all pretty good.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 5, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

... I just can't credit the author with writing this book tongue-in-cheek; not without an 'about the author' page to find out who he is and what he normally writes.

... It's Stackpole writing under a pen name, poking at his own characters. :downs:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

KnightLight posted:

From the Warhawk wiki article:

"While unable to fire all of the ER PPCs at once it could use a volley fire strategy to manage its heat."

Noob question: What's the point of putting more weapons on a Mech if it can't fire them all? I can understand "can't fire all its weapons without serious heat buildup" but not begin unable to fire them all, period. Isn't there a better use of weight than putting redundant weapons on a 'Mech?

That phrasing is somewhat iffy; a Warhawk Prime can fire all 4 ERPPCs, but the heat buildup forces and immediate shutdown check (IIRC) - and would have the chance to immediately cook off ammo if it carried any. But the mech would be crippled for the next turn or two until it bled off all the extra heat.

There are times you may want to fire all 4 guns, especially since the Prime carries a targeting computer. Have a pretty good target number for a center torso hit? Might be worth risking the heat for a potential 60 damage in one spot. Or, having 4 ERPPCs means even if you don't normally fire all 4 each turn, you can lose one without immediately losing effective damage output.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Taerkar posted:

Yeah, all Warhawks carry Targeting Computers. It was the most notable feature of the design.

Masakaris are one of the most bullshit pre-3058 designs. In a pretty awesome way. 4x LPL + TC = broken :911:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Look at these jerks who've never heard of backups and redundancy.

Yeah, what chump decided to give the Charger 5 small lasers anyway? :smug:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

raverrn posted:

The only option is to stand and next turn jump away, igniting the gas as the place explodes behind you.

You must also turn on your mechs loudspeakers and blast your choice of music out of them while doing this. May I suggest a pre-Exodus classic, Danger Zone?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pinguliten posted:

Eh, you might want to ask PTN if jump jets will set the bloody thing off as well, he did write a single spark in his fluff text and well jump jets. Those went plasma from the core of a fusion plant.

Gas set off by jump jets is nothing but additional thrust to get him where he's going. :black101:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Carstairs then asks where Jeremiah got so much money, and Jeremiah says he bet everything he had on Jeremiah Rose surviving the fight. Derp.

This so far is the first (only?) line that hasn't had me wanting to shove an icepick into my eyes. Rose actually did something smart? :psypop:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Trast posted:

This is scaring me away from reading any BT novels, guys. You are cruel. :(

Just go pick up the Blood of Kerensky trilogy. Stackpole's 'trunk' novels are pretty drat good (but it's been established I have lovely taste in books so someone may refute me) and those are basically the 'beginning' of the BT book series, introducing the Clans and all.

That is, there are a handful of books that take place before that in the timeline, but most are pretty crappy (early GDL books). The Warrior trilogy might be worth reading (been way too long since I read them) if only to learn how awesome Justin Allard is, though.

Edit: Seconding the Wolf Pack love. It's a pretty good book. Wolves on the Border is pretty good too, it involves the Dragoons but is from Minobu Tetsuhara's viewpoint, so a lot of Kurita-style samurai bushido stuff. Incidentally, another one of the few good pre-3050 books.

poo poo, I don't even remember anything other than the bare bones for Twilight of the Clans. It's like 18 loving books or something there. poo poo started to run together for me.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 9, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

The best order to do things in is to read the first two of the Warrior Trilogy, Wolves on the Border, the last of the Warrior Trilogy and then the Blood of Kerensky.

Then read Wolves on the Border again.

When you get to the chapter when they decide to break their contract with the Draconis Combine and do it in formal Clan-speak this will be you: :ohdear::aaaaa::psypop:

Yes, do this. DO IT. :black101:

That one guy, the Shadowhawk pilot, is all :wtc: the entire time, it's hilarious and awesome.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Real killed. Punched in the head, knocked over, and a building collapsed (on the head). Just to make sure you know the guy died.

To clarify this, they were in actual mechs, in an actual city mock-up, but their weapons were turned off and only simulated. But getting punched in the cockpit will still kill a dude even if your PPC is set to training power levels or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PPT-1T Ninja

Okay mech naming schema was a crappy idea. :negative:

• Locked thread