Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tempest_56 posted:

...HUSSAR!

First OpFor casualty spotted.

Axe-man posted:

if i remember correctly, obviously i don't have the full tech read out, the trebuchet, while it lacks jumpjets, has more armor.

Yeah I think the decision (if we're looking for a 'stand back with fire support' leader type) is between the Trebuchet (not as maneuverable, less ammo, bigger punch while it has ammo) and the Griffin (not as much of a punch, but the PPC is ammo-less and it has jump jets). I think those two designs are roughly equal armor-wise (Trebuchet might have a little less due to weight difference and maximum armor values, but it's pretty much max for its weight if memory serves).

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rumda posted:

Really six pages in six hours, not that it matters any more considering the choice I would have made based purely off the opening posts is so far ahead, though I have no experience at all with Battletech before now signing up to participate seems like a good idea

Half of the fun of this thread is going to be second-guessing what people are choosing to do, and for that you don't need to have a whole lot of rules knowledge, most of it is common sense (have a lot of missiles? Stay back. In a light speedy mech? Don't stand still and trade shots. etc)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

Those three "needs" pretty thoroughly eliminate most contenders. Of those remaining, as stated earlier, I think the Griffin GRF-1N is the best idea. It has long range weaponry, good movement, good armor, and doesn't look TOO stupid. The Dervish and the Trebuchet also work with those criteria but are significantly less armored which is a BAD thing if we're putting a lance commander inside.

I say go Griffin.

ffff changing my vote back to Griffin (last time I swear)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Corbeau posted:

I will not vote for an Inner Sphere faction, as I am not interested in playing one. However, I'd gladly throw my hat into the ring if you need an OpFor Clan commander. I was part of a Clan campaign for a couple of years, and am actually more familiar and comfortable with Clan tactics (including Zellbrigen) in the boardgame than I am with Inner Sphere tactics.

My skype name is "e.corbeau", and I've played MegaMek in the past. I'm not precisely sure how you intend to run this LP in the brass tacks, but I'd love to bid against you when Clans arrive in style.

:raise: Contractions?

Tarquinn posted:

The Shadow Hawk fits those requirement too. It can do everything. EVERYTHING! :colbert:

... except decide what battlefield role it wants to fulfill. :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Corbeau posted:

Us freeborn don't always speak correctly, quiaff?

So if you're freeborn, do they stick you with the crap mechs like Vixens or what? :D

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kenlon posted:

Though it looks like the Griffin is running away with the vote, there's another machine that deserves consideration: The Phoenix Hawk.

I have an irrational hatred of the Phoenix Hawk. :argh:

Axe-man posted:

No one suggested the noble hunchback?

Hunchback is a cool mech but no way would i put one in a scout lance. The thing is relatively slow and short-ranged (even if it can blow your drat head off within that range).

Arglebargle III posted:

I vote we get an Uziel. Gun robot.

Sadly Uziels don't exist at this point in time. :(

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Hob_Gadling posted:

Stalkers

I don't think PTN wants an assault mech in this medium lance. :D

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Agent Interrobang posted:

Well fine then, I'm naming all my mechs after My Little Ponies. The Clans shall come to fear the wrath of Pinkie Pie! :black101:

You know, I was happy when I didn't know what you were talking about here.

And then I found this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382186&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

:stare:

God damnit I am not gonna watch that... No way. Can't do it. Mustn't... do it...

:stare:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Axe-man posted:

I think it would be cool if you could do a "mech of the week" style of update to include with your bit of history, since the whole fluff history is centered around our lovable robots of death!

Yes and totally don't mention massive spoiler goes here natch so that they freak the hell out of the battletech newbies. :rock:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Octatonic posted:

While we're talking mechs, it's certainly far too slow for a recon group anyway, but is the Urbanmech as awful in the boardgames as it was everywhere else? I remember in Mechwarrior 2: Mercinaries it was a deathtrap because its head's hit box was disproportionally large. I imagine cold hard dice would make the ac/10 shine a bit better.

The Urbanmech is one of the designs that really only does one thing well (and that's stretching it) and any other scenario makes it utterly poo poo. Sort of like the Charger. :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

raverrn posted:

because Griffins are second only to Centurions in old school classiness.

This man gets it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I didn't supply an email because I can just use PMs, PTN. I can get you one if that would be better for you though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Axe-man posted:

BattleAxe BKX-7K

Is this supposed to be some sort of replacement for the Warhammer? Same weight class, similar armament (swapping the medium lasers and MGs for some LRMs), named after a weapon, and the pic is VERY Warhammer-ish...

Longinus00 posted:

It can bleed off two large laser shots + walking only. If it needs to run or jump (likely since it's the slowest unit by far) then the heat will start to add up.

It should be noted that generating a point or two of heat per turn isn't catastrophic or anything; I don't have a heat scale handy but IIRC the really bad things don't start happening until after 8 or 12 points. Building up 1 or 2 points a turn is sustainable if you can manage to take an easy turn every once in a while (often happens because you don't have a shot for some reason) and even going all-out and racking up a lot of points in one turn works if you can either disengage right after or otherwise limit fire to slowly bleed off heat over a couple of turns.

Ah, the joys of the heat scale. :allears:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 22, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

I should really not be carrying ammo, that just screams first death.

Does the Vulcan carry a full ton of MG ammo? If so I strongly, strongly recommend you eject it in the first turn. Vulcans aren't exactly walking artillery pieces but that one single MG isn't likely to appreciably up your effectiveness. One the contrary, you'd have to fire it every turn for 200 turns (TWO HUNDRED TURNS) to go through a ton of ammo. And since you're relatively lightly armored and a critical to ammo does the entire potential damage amount of that ammo to the mech (no CASE yet, remember) you're looking at potentially 400 points of damage going off INSIDE your mech.

Not to mention that enough heat buildup has the chance to cook off ammo without a shot being fired, and you're carrying around a drat flamer...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

Wow, can't I just carry like .1 tons of ammo? What's the minimum amount you can dump? I assume it has to be dropped in stacks/clips.

Just about all stock 'mechs carry ammo in full-ton allotments. Usually this ends up being something like 10 or 15 shots (or as low as 6 in the case of big autocannons), MGs are just weird in that they get 200. IIRC you can do half-tons of ammo, but BT doesn't track weight in any finer detail than that (everything rounds to the nearest half-ton) and in any case PTN has said he doesn't want to deal with custom mechs.

I guess you could ask if you could start out only partially stocked or something. Although Mukaikubo brought up a good point in that if you do actually get put up against infantry or vehicles then the MG could be useful (assuming you can get in range for it).

Bad Moon posted:

I haven't played BT since the mid 90s, so I can't offer any extensive advice besides generalities, but you'll want to exploit House Kurita's natural tendency to use lovely tactics. Don't let them go one on one with you since they'll be better pilots than your Green Kell Hound mechwarriors. A lucky hit on the Jenner will mean you guys could be out numbered fairly quickly. Also, though you want to close with your Jenner and Vulcan, don't let yourselves be isolated. Even if the Kurita forces are just lights, if they are fielding a Panther your rear end could get lit up if they cut you off from your heavier friends.

This is another good point. Assuming you guys are going to be part of the Hounds' green Third Regiment then the Kurita pilots are probably going to be better than you (games-mechanically speaking) so you really won't be able to afford going one-to-one; you really need to try to stick together and focus on one or two at a time.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bad Moon posted:

With only one mg? Fixed that for you there.

I'm going to laugh if they get put up against a Dragon or Grand Dragon and then immediately post suggesting Pladdicus does a charge followed by turning his flamer on his own MG and hoping the blast takes out the other mech. :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

Ah yes, the Happyelf mech. (Why Happyelf? Try out the 'happyelf' emote and you'll see.) Does BT even have rules for ammo explosions damaging nearby things? If it does, I can't recall because it comes up so rarely.

I think I read some at one point, but it might have been a level 3/optional rule. I wouldn't expect it to actually work but I'd cheer for it anyway.

:happyelf:

Pladdicus posted:

I'm assuming it will go something like this. If I'm not messing up their aim with minimum range, I'm not trying. (reading up on those two I was expecting flamethrowers. That name is kind of misleading)

The Combine loving loves the Dragon (and later the Grand Dragon). If you end up fighting a Combine heavy you have something like a 60%+ chance of it being that chassis.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

A full salvo of srm 6 missles kills 3 guys tops unless you're using special ammo while a machine gun kills 2D6.

6 SRMs is 12 damage, a MG is 2... :confused:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

Doesn't the MG fire multiple times in a single round? It's a rapid fire weapon.

One MG 'shot' is considered to be a full burst.

Mukaikubo posted:

Infantry damage follows different rules.

My rules are probably not the most current ones I guess.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm just going off Total Warfare. The deal is; if you want to kill infantry with a mech, you want flamers, machine guns, and small pulse lasers. Everything else is going to kill maybe 2 guys a shot, those three can kill a huge number.

Well all my books are pre-FASA going bankrupt so there. :colbert:

Don't care enough to look it up but I'm pretty sure in the books I have damage kills infantry on a point-for-point basis. PPC = 10 dead infantrymen, etc.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rumda posted:

So which set of rules is PTN going to use anyway?

Hopefully the newer ones since the ones I have make infantry pretty objectively poo poo.

That is, assuming he tosses in infantry to begin with.

Also, I just realized that we might be treading close to PTN's "no discussing in-depth rules" thing from the OP, so I'm gonna let this tangent drop I think.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

edit: Actually, should I delete my tactical summary? It'd feel like a drat shame but I mean, it has specific heat/damage/range numbers, and I'm not sure if that's OK to post under our rules. :|

I don't think that's over the line, the pilots are going to need those numbers when the actual game starts anyway.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah. There's something to be said for the Jenner doing a big jump and gambling that he can at least cripple one of the primary objectives round one; most of the Kurita mechs aren't going to be in good position to shoot him immediately, so he'll have another round to jump back over the hill and back off. On the other hand, the Jenner's armor is light enough that even one hit could ruin his day, and the prospects of taking out the hovercraft aren't excellent. It all comes down to Pladdicus' judgment. :3

Even if he jumps as close to K5 as possible, that's still a fairly long-range shot with his weaponry and he's gonna have a ton of penalties to his roll (from jumping). Plus you have the OpFor movement phase before he can fire, so K5 can just boogy out of range. It might not, being Kurita, but IMO either staying put or trying to creep up stealthily (lol mechs sneaking) while the rest of the lance rolls up is the better choice.

Edit: J. Edgars are fast loving tanks, too (hesitant to post the numbers but trust me on this) you guys really should try to get the drop on them if at all possible.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 23, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

Not to mention the fact that the two tanks could probably take me out.

Jumping as far as you might be, probably not. That's a pretty big penalty to their rolls. And J. Edgars are relatively lightly armed (I figure this is something most pilots would know at least generally, if it's not cool I'll edit it out PTN).

PoptartsNinja posted:

They count as having moved already, so this is inaccurate.

That's kind of another argument against the 'jump+shoot' plan then, because we have no idea how fast they've been moving and that type of tank can rack up some impressive speed penalties.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Actually, you do. It says so at the bottom of the post, unless I hosed something up.

No, just me being a dumbass. :doh:

Carry on.

Longinus00 posted:

The movements were posted on the last page.

It'll still be pretty hard to hit on this turn.

Yeah, that's not as bad as it could be but I still advise a slow, cautious approach.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

What are the rules on backing up?

Same as normal movement (1 point per hex, 1 point to turn + terrain modifers) except you can't go up/down elevations, IIRC. Also you can't run backwards.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm not sure enough of the game to understand the relative balance of firepower between our lance and theirs, if any of the more experienced players wants to throw in their thoughts on the short/long/medium firepower disparity.

Your Jenner is armed with medium lasers and short-range missiles; they both have the same range (max of 9 hexes) which is about the same as everything on the other side except the Dragon (its autocannon and long-range missiles go out to 15 and 21 hexes respectively).

The OpFor Jenner is the same as your ride, the Spider is actually faster than you but has half the weaponry. Then you have the unknown light and the Dragon, which is heavier than all of your mechs and about as fast as the Griffin (but not jump-capable) - the Dragon's weakness is that it's biggest guns are long-range and have minimum ranges - it has medium lasers as well but getting up close and personal will marginalize its other armament.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm surprised nobody's done a tactical analysis of the J. Edgar yet.

I've probably forgotten a lot of the vehicle rules, but J. Edgars are hover tanks (thus they can't enter wooded terrain but are just fine over water) that move at 12/18 and are equipped with one medium laser and 2 SRM-2s in a turret (which has no 'turn' limitations; it can point any direction wanted each turn).

They're mildly dangerous to our forces (mostly because that ridiculous speed makes flanking attacks likely) and will be a bitch and a half to actually hit if they decide to go zooming all out.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/J_Edgar

(I'm assuming these aren't 'Kurita variant' J. Edgars since C3 systems don't exist yet)

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 23, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The key thing to remember with tanks (and VTOLs) is that every successful hit one one rolls against what is basically a critical hit table, with different effects like 'your track got hosed up' or 'crew killed' and such. So they're very fragile and can theoretically can be taken out with a single shot, but J. Edgars are fast as hell so landing that shot is going to be an issue.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The OpFor Spider should only have 2x Medium Laser if it's stock. Problem is, those are mounted in its chest so you're not likely to knock them out short of blowing the whole mech away. It's lightly armored but faster than every one of our own mechs (8/12/8) - I'd prioritize taking the Jenner out first, but try to keep it from getting behind you.

The Jenner is a bit slower at 7/11/5 but is much more heavily armed - 4x Medium Laser and an SRM-4. This thing can seriously mess up any of our mechs if given the chance. Highly recommend the Griffin and Blackjack take it down ASAP. The Vulcan and our own Jenner could probably take it at close quarters but they'd get shot up doing it.

The Dragon is fairly dangerous at long range (AC5 + LRM-10) but both of those weapons have minimum ranges, and if you can get under those then it only has a pair of Medium Lasers (one mounted to the rear if memory serves) for defense. Don't get too close though because it's relatively fast for a heavy (5/8) and if the pilot decides to close and melee it's going to be painful.

As mentioned the hover tank are fast as a greased pig so you guys need to get as close as possible before engaging and really pour the fire onto them because they're going to be slipping and sliding all over to try to toss your locks.

And then there's the unknown light. No way to tell what it is yet. :ohdear:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

Oh, you big worrywarts. I'm sure that fourth mech is nothing they can't handle! Probably barely even anything. The spotter just mistook some trees for a mech. What's there to worry about? :v:

Gonna laugh when it turns out to be a Panther and cores somebody's leg with its first shot.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Xmas Future posted:

The best part about the cartoon is that it's canonized as a poorly reviewed propaganda cartoon series.

Haha, seriously? :byodood:

The only not-poo poo thing about the cartoon was the 'enhanced imaging' CGI. That was pretty cool when I was younger. Everythnig else about it can eat a bag of dicks.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

evilmiera posted:

After the drat awful first episodes, which made me want to pour bleach into my eyes, it got sort of enjoyable.

Did they ever move past the 'there are 4 types of mechs in the entire Sphere' thing they did with Centurions, Wolfhounds, Maulers and Axemen?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Hob_Gadling posted:

But that's the best part! All the major weapon types are in balance, physical attacks other than kicking are still useful and even light mechs have some sort of life expectancy.

And heat is something you actualy have to be aware of.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

My units:
Lynx LNX-8Q (Survived)
Screaming Hawk SCR-1A-BT (Survived, albiet gyro destroyed on the last turn of fighting)
Trebuchet TBT-5N (Survived)
Pixie PIX-3-TF (Survived)
(Pixie's a custom 35-tonner with three medium lasers in torso and head slots, 7/11/7 and lots of armor that came loaded with Megamek.)

My enemies:
Mongoose MON-67 (Cored, pilot TKO)
Griffin GRF-1S (Cored)
Crockett CRK-5003-0 (Head stomped in by the Pixie after a merciless backstabbing campaign)
Hunchback HBK-4J (Cored)

I'm counting 3 actual mechs and 5 abortions?

Seriously I don't even know what the gently caress a Screaming Hawk or Pixie is.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ActionZero posted:

Good god, imagine if he used this power for evil.

Quick, does anyone know if PTN has a goatee?!?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

Related: Can Cardassians have goatees?

No, because if they could then the universe would have imploded from the concentrated awesome evilness.

Longinus00 posted:

You only need a mech that can fit an ERPPC to fry an atlas in one volley. I think part of the reason some people might dislike the level2+ tech is that it makes combat even more random since there are 1 hit kill weapons that work at long ranges.

That and the general up-gunning of everything with a lesser need for actual tactics since you can just fire everything thanks to double heat sinks.

But yeah, adding weapons that can tear off heads with one shot from half a map away was never a really good idea for balance, no matter how cool gauss rifles are.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

Also, I really don't like the idea that any weapon with damage > 10 and range > ???? should never be allowed. It seems kinda silly.

A weapon that does 12+ damage to a single point (gauranteed head destruction, nevermind criticals) that can fire across the map and be mounted on a light mech is kind of over the line, in my opinion. Change any one of those factors (for instance, the AC/20 having a range of only 9) and it's all cool. But all three together are a bit much.

Mukaikubo posted:

Also, and I am as guilty of this as anyone, but it might be a really good idea to take the recurring (it's happened at least twice in this thread) level 1 vs. level 2 arguments to the TGD thread so we do not muck up the LP thread any more than we have already mucked it up. :(

:( Yeah I'm gonna clam up on this one, it's not a big deal to me but I don't want to derail the thread.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

The thought of Dukat with an Evil Goatee of Evilness...

I just shivered.

The proof that this is not possible is that we're still here.

Thank god. :ohdear:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 23, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Gothsheep posted:

The show was actually not terrible. Most BattleTech 'purists' actually dislike it because it took some liberties with canon. I forget what. I think it was something about one mech that was used in it that hadn't been invented at that point in the timeline, and another mech that was used wasn't available to the nation that used it or something.

That would be the Axeman and Mauler, respectively if memory serves. The Mauler is pretty definitely a Kurita design and all the pilots were Steiners. The Axeman is in the 3050 TRO but IIRC the fluff says only experimental models were made before 3052 or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I really think if we ever get another Star Trek show we need to have a cardie on the bridge crew. Even if he's a straight man you can have random aliens poo poo bricks at the Federation's new cardie security officer or whatever. :3:

• Locked thread