Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I would like to Apply to be a Mechwarrior, I do have pms. So toss me on the mechwarrior list if you could please.

I think the Kell Hounds would be most fun to play, in this universe they have the Federated Suns on their back and they are positioned to either be attacked by or attack all of the houses, this also means that we won't get the clan opponents until all our raw recuits are seasoned a bit which will be essential to fighting the clans.

edit: I also am totally biased toward them. :dance:

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

:hehe::respek::black101:

Kell Hounds would really be the pro choice. Not only "all that stuff I listed", but on top of that we'd be mercenaries albeit on long term contract to the Davions. Meaning we will have a lot more freedom with in game decisions than an outright House unit. Think about it, guys! If politics gets really wild we can always hire out a company to hotspots for 'live fire training' and maybe completely screw up entire sectors of space! So join us. Vote Kell Hounds. Because it'll be FUN.

:cool::hf::cool::hf::cool:

Aw Hell Ya. Kell Hound groupies Unite!

Thats exactly what I thought of when I saw where they positioned the Kells, doing black missions against most of the other houses and after we either push our way up or the clans push their way down, we get to take on the Clan Stars with our elites.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's amazing at everything except keeping a good pilot alive if he fucks up. Sorta like the Japanese Zero.

Thats exactly how I always played it, you have to be fast and loose and have big brass ones to play a spider well, if you aren't moving your full movement in that thing, you aren't playing it right in my option.

I only had a handful of mechs actually go fusion in my experience, most of the time they either shutdown, or the pilot is killed when they fall on their head.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

Oh poo poo, changing my vote to Davion Heavy Guard.

(Only if they really are all Chargers though)

If you want big stompy mechs you should vote Lyran.

Here's the Lyran scout mech:

(It's 80 tons)

and it moves 2 1 2 ;)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

Any idea how much we would need to learn about the game system in order to function properly as pilots? Read a gamebook end to end or just a familiarity with the game world?

Most of the rules that are overly complicated i'm sure poptarts will do for you in the background, much of Battletech is placement and what to fire, where you are trying to hit and when you fire. The rest is dice rolls.

edit: I imagine most of the commands will be like this for even the most experienced player:

go to square [B,6] torso twist to the left, and fire my LRM 10 at the hermies ii
now laugh of the sucker who as the hermies ii

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

It's even cooler when you really get to pilot them. Back when the Virtual World centers were still around I loved to hit them up for the pods they had there - I never got to go after they had the updated Firestorm graphics but sitting in what was basically a cockpit with knobs and switches everywhere and a disembodied voice calmly stating things like "Heat critical, reactor shutdown imminent" was awesome. :aaa:

I love those, and wait did they do an upgrade to mech 4 graphics lately? i haven't gotten the newest add packs like i use too but please link a brother.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

I also get sad when I think about MechWarrior 5 and how it'll probably never come out. :(

I so wish it would. I was playign mech 4 for a bit until i remembered my old favorite expansion guys: http://www.mektek.net/index.php

I had fun playing the league as ironically the Kell Hounds in a stock mw4:merc league

Pladdicus posted:

That being said, the explanation that miniatures are unnecessary has got me really wanting to pick up a rulebook, so covered either way!

Miniatures are a Wiz Kids invention to make it more profitable, honestly the old pewter mechs were awesome if not hard to paint (at least for me a non model guy)

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 21, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
^^^
the clicky mechs are even dumber

WarLocke posted:

So a Goliath then?

(Quad 'mechs yay :downs:)

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ares_(BattleMech)

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 21, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

I hate to say this, but it is an absolutely incredible game. It's essentially Mechwarrior, online with up to like 32 players. Including VTOLs and Tanks.

It's easily one of my favorite multiplayer games, besides some silly bugs involving hangers that pop up.

Nothing like taking down an assault mecha with a fast light.

I'm downlaoding as we speak. I'm hopeful!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

That thing reminds me of the random bullshit munchkin designs I would make up with my friends when we were 12. Like, I took a Phoenix Hawk chassis once and made up some rule to give it an energy blade or something.

Looking at that thing just makes me think 'anime'. 3 pilots? And how the hell would you move at anything approaching speed with a tripedal leg design?

Worst of all it makes no sense to make in anyway

it's a 100+ ton mech who carries less weapons then normal 100+ ton mechs and goes a zippy 28 km/h, I believe that makes it a 1/2/1 unless it has more armor than god I see no reason for it to ever exist. Everything, it does can be done better by something else

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Dominus Caedis posted:

28 km/h would probably make it a 2/3/2 but the weapons loadout is comically light for a mech of that weight, it is easily outclassed by old (3025 era) Inner Sphere HEAVIES much less something like the Atlas. Also hoping that you get to pilot a hatchet-mech for a great pilot/username combo.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Axman would be a better match :v:

Oh i know thats why i haven't mentioned it until now :)
VVVVVVVVVV

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 21, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Agent Interrobang posted:

Well in that case I want a Thug with an XL engine and ER PPCs, a St. Ives Compact that isn't doomed, and a pony. :colbert:

This is the dark gritty future instead you get this

Cythereal posted:

All I really know about BattleTech comes from the old MechWarriors 2: Mercenaries game, but in light of that background, I have to ask: would it ever be possible to actually grab a Kodiak as the IS? If we have to duplicate its acquisition mission from that game and screw over the Combine while joyriding in the newly acquired death machine, I'd call it a bonus.

I think the only way you are going to get that, is if you fly to the clan homeworld and attack the ghost bears. Sorry buddy :(

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 21, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
^^^^^^
let me help you start This and maybe this; this is just a mech types of course actual in game or book mechs are worse

Cythereal posted:

I'm sorry, was that supposed to discourage me? :black101:

Caveat: No idea if the Kodiak is any good on the TT or not. It was pretty much the best (or at least biggest) mech available in the MW2:M campaign, and made an appropriate impression on me.

I mean that your looking mroe toward late game then early game. :ssj:

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 21, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

I was kinda joking. I only have vague memories of MW2:M for the most part, (such as raging at Dashers for running around at warp speed) and haven't got a clue what all will be available or how anything performs in the early game - and very few clues about the late game.

early game prediction: We fight a lot of house battles with old mech designs that are pretty much subpar to 3rd string quality

late game prediction: We take the fight to the clans in some way after they have become a true presence in the IS. Usually, in my experience and my tabletopping this several times, this ends with a long dangerous journey into the Clan space to lay a beat down on someone. (this is the canon history)

However this is poptarts show, so i have a feeling things aren't going to go as expected.

WHINNY HAVOC, AND LET SLIP THE PONIES OF WAR! :black101:

no you may not paint my mech pink.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 21, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

is it sad that i saw that and instantly thought that rear facing weapons have almost always been a stupid idea? :supaburn:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I always was terrible playing a clanner cause of stuff like totem mechs and all the clan honor bs.

in case your wondering, every clan has a totem mech:

Clanner Worship

This is also my favorite assualt mech, forget the Atlas, and remember the King Crab!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/King_Crab

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

Ironically, look what the clicky models look like now days :rolleyes:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mad_Dog_Mk_IV_(Vulture_Mk_IV)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mad_Cat_III

and lets not forget the anime favorite :v:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Phoenix_Hawk_IIC

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

Both of those look horrible? Not sure what point you were trying to make here.

Oh I thought that basically they were tryign to copy the anime style like the maurader you posted. :psyduck: Maybe that is just in my head, eitherway it's all the same stuff rolling downhill.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

I got it, bro. :c00l::respek::c00l:

:hehe::respek::hehe: You got it, man.

Popy posted:

Voting for Kell Hounds . I've only really played Mechwarrior 4: Mercenary. Is it possible to stack enough PPCs to instantly melt poo poo? if so that needs to happen.

Let me introduce you to that mech http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Warhawk_(Masakari)

edit:

Thats right, customization even in the table top versions I played took months to do and most of the time by the time you got the change to it done, it was past the time it would have been useful. Stock is easier and unless you are doing omni versions there isn't much you can do to mech that some varient/type that hasn't done it before.
VVVVVV

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 22, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Customization won't be happening, except in the case of retrofits. If you want PPCs, you want an Awesome.

Poptarts since your raping Battletech history and making it take you out for breakfest the next day, i wanted to ask if you are creating your own IS battlemechs to throw all the old timers for a loop, I know you mentioned a custom totem clanner scrap heap.

edit:

Now this type of mech reminds me of starsiege from way back in the day:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Gyrfalcon

http://members.pcug.org.au/~rclutton/gfx/starsiege/laserfire.jpg

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 22, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

TildeATH posted:

You know what I like the most about four-legged mechs?

Absolutely nothing.

See, I don't just hate the animes, I also hate four-legged mechs. And the post-4th Succession War edition of Wolf's Dragoons. And the Word of Blake. And ponies.

I hate ponies the most.

You, I like.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Added to the main page:

Rule Omega Corollary:
Discussions about 'Mechs is fine. Multiple-page derailments about how much you hate a specific art style chosen by some editor ten years ago isn't. If you have to pretend that all Battlemechs you don't like look like Wall-E in order to get to sleep at night, do it, but we don't need to hear about it.

In other words: It's just art from a game about giant robots killing each other. Talking about it too much is just a distraction from giant robots killing each other.

Since you guys seem a bit bored, help me pick an era-appropriate command 'Mech for a lance of medium-weight Kell Hounds (Specifically, a lance that can act as either scouts or scout-hunters, so expect at least one light 'mech).

That was nessary since that is an old arguement that has no real resolution, but i would have to say the lead mech being a http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Trebuchet if that is in the time period, i believe it is but i'm a bit dodgy with the dates.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

4/6's are probably out unless they're packing some hefty long-range firepower for shooting locusts in the back. Also, I want to avoid the Hatchetman for now--it won't get close enough to hit a good light 'Mech with that hatchet anyway.

Lets face it is best in defensive city/canyon terrian where it can surprise and get in close without being whittled down by enemy long range fire.

For medium mechs and command mechs, I usually like long range heavy hitters, and for the IS at this time the trebuchet is a dependable if ammo light choice. :)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

A dervish would be better than a trebuchet. I still think wolverine is the best choice, screw the griffin and it's heat issues.

if i remember correctly, obviously i don't have the full tech read out, the trebuchet, while it lacks jumpjets, has more armor.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

Same total armor (7.5 tons).

Then it's all about lrm15 verses jumpjets. I've had better luck with the burst hitting power of lrm 15s then the jumpjets, but not seeing the map, i really couldn't say.

Both are really solid choices, just a playstyle decision.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I'm downloading megamek now cause of this thread see what you started :argh:

edit: BTW, the voting is still opened and mech spots are there to be taken, so if your on the edge or think you "missed the boat" just post it!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
No one suggested the noble hunchback?

I believe it's 3025 and just look at it's picture! Who needs armor?! :laugh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

Hunchback is a cool mech but no way would i put one in a scout lance. The thing is relatively slow and short-ranged (even if it can blow your drat head off within that range).

Hunchback HBK-4J
all joking aside, seriously the hunchback is so old, if you have a situation there is a hunchback varient for it.

if only they had taken out 2 medium lasers and strapped on more engine :raise: but it was more in jest :)

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 22, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I thought I'd show this off to all of you who have Mercwarrior:mercs
mektek does a fine job in my opinion!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Resistance would be unfriendly. :3:

Just so this doesn't turn into a total derail: working on an Abridged History of the Inner Sphere, which I'll post in chunks once we start getting some actual battles going on.

I think it would be cool if you could do a "mech of the week" style of update to include with your bit of history, since the whole fluff history is centered around our lovable robots of death!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

Yes and totally don't mention massive spoiler goes here natch so that they freak the hell out of the battletech newbies. :rock:

They will scream in terror once they see what you are talking about, they can be right bastards!

of course

the experienced players will poo poo their pants more!!!

heh

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Octatonic posted:

While we're talking mechs, it's certainly far too slow for a recon group anyway, but is the Urbanmech as awful in the boardgames as it was everywhere else? I remember in Mechwarrior 2: Mercinaries it was a deathtrap because its head's hit box was disproportionally large. I imagine cold hard dice would make the ac/10 shine a bit better.

The urbanmech is a very very old design that was pretty much made for the closest infighting you could do in massive citys. Even then it is too light to be a proper brawler more relying jumping out of cover and landing on top of buildings to fire down on enemys.

In the battletech game, no matter what shape or size of the mech's features you get the same chance to hit the mech and the location of the hit, as you would with any other. Eitherway, they still are easy to kill but at only 30 tons, that is to be expected, versus other 30 tonners, they frequently have to jumpjet up into the air and then down again to be able to turn enough to even target the enemy mech. Since you can turn to any facing in mid air without using a move. They are just too slow against the others.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

The only thing a LAM will add to the game is a headache for me. I'm still undecided until I've had a chance to go over their rules, and god help you if you take a LAM against Clanners. They will break their honor code to kill it.

I always remember the fluff being that "LAMS were thought of as a way to make mechs more mobile and give air support, instead they both just ended up being terrible so the project was scrapped and never put into full production because of this."

Despite the whole "robotech" vibe that LAMS go for, they are either a slow ground mech without many weapons or a weak aircraft without many weapons. Mainly because i remember the conversion unit being hilariously heavy and bulky. So I'm glad you are stomping on the dreams of all those LAM believers, cause seriously...

However I do think that a more realistic threat would actually be a urban mech lance in a large city hidden in blinds :aaaaa: I've played that map before, it wasn't fun in heavies, in a light lance, it could be downright dangerous.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Because I'm bored, and I'm laid up with a sprained ankle: I'll go ahead and do something that will help us all know the Federated Suns a little better. Since i'm piloting a blackjack I thought i'd thought I'd throw in a old style fed mech.

Mechs of the Federated Suns

BattleAxe BKX-7K

Summary:
This is an old heavy mech that was one of the first to use the new Particle Projection Cannons in it's initial construction run in the late 2460's. To add to the agility of the mech they have put on jump jets to match the 64 km/h an average speed for it's time and it's weight class of 70 tons. However for a heavy mech it only carries 9 tons of armor, compared with the more famous Archer which is the same weight and has 13.5 tons of Armor on it.

Armament:
BKX-7K (initial run):
2 x Particle Projection Cannons
2 x Long Range Missiles-5
1 x Short Range Missiles-6

Technical Specs:
7 tons of standard Armor
15 heat sinks
no CASE
Ammo for 24 shots of LRM 5
ammo for 15 shots of SRM 6

My Thoughts: To be honest there are some good and bad things about this mech. It is average speed with jump jets that allows added agility to the design. The biggest failing I see with it, is the armor, with only 9 tons, it is somewhat lightly armored, but hits like a brick. With 15 heatsinks it can easily maintain 1 ppc and both lrms, but like all old IS designs it suffers from heat issues compared to clans, with an alpha strike taking a turn to vent the heat and a skill check to avoid shutdown. The lighter armor compared to other long range mechs of the age/weight and the lack of CASE seems to religate this to a 2nd string support mech.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 22, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

I thought first-run BattleAxes had nine tons of armor.

these are the numbers I'm getting from my sources:

Armor: 128/217, i didn't do the actual calcs though so feel free to correct me

edit: I just checked and it was a typo i never corrected apparently whoops my bad

Mukaikubo posted:

BJ-1DB Blackjack

Movement: 65 km/h running speed, 120 m jumping distance (4/6/4)
Armor: 7.5 tons
Heat sinks: 17
Weapons:
2x Large Laser: Damage 8 (each). Max range, 15 hexes. Heat 8 (each).
2x Medium Laser: Damage 5 (each). Max range, 9 hexes. Heat 3 (each).

Overview: Slow. Moderately armored, with weapons optimized to really shred things at close range but still able to hit at middling-long range so it won't be worthless against a fast, fleeing mech. Heat is again going to be a problem; firing all your weapons and running flat out will generate 24 heat, and you can dissipate 17. Give some of your weapons a rest every other round or so, or if you can't get a good shot.

I think it the most important part is the fact it bleeds off 2 Large lasers per turn, thus allowing almost constant fire with them, the lack of ammo means that I can take the long shots, that other people would forgo either cause of worse heat issues, or ammo issues :v:

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 22, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

Is this supposed to be some sort of replacement for the Warhammer? Same weight class, similar armament (swapping the medium lasers and MGs for some LRMs), named after a weapon, and the pic is VERY Warhammer-ish...

It should be noted that generating a point or two of heat per turn isn't catastrophic or anything; I don't have a heat scale handy but IIRC the really bad things don't start happening until after 8 or 12 points. Building up 1 or 2 points a turn is sustainable if you can manage to take an easy turn every once in a while (often happens because you don't have a shot for some reason) and even going all-out and racking up a lot of points in one turn works if you can either disengage right after or otherwise limit fire to slowly bleed off heat over a couple of turns.

Ah, the joys of the heat scale. :allears:

It actually is an older design according to fluff, word of mech book says the update to this mech is this: Hammerhands and both "inspired" the Warhmamer

And yes, I do believe I'll be running about 3 or 5 heat most of the time, depending on terrian and what happens with the Griffin.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

It does, 1 ton in the left torso. I'm not really a fan of basically tossing ammo first round; I usually wait until that location's had its armor abraded. There's not much in what we'll probably be fighting that can punch through the armor in one shot, and without that it'd take a fanTAStically unlucky roll to cause an ammo explosion.

Besides, PTN may just be Clever Dick and throw a battalion of infantry in for grins. :v:

Two words my friend: SRM-6 hovercraft :aaaaa:

Pladdicus posted:

Wow, can't I just carry like .1 tons of ammo? What's the minimum amount you can dump? I assume it has to be dropped in stacks/clips.

dumping ammo is considered an "emergency thing" so it's all or nothing buddy.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

Does the weapon itself contain any ammunition? Or if I dump does that mean the weapon is pretty much useless.

if you dump the ammo you lose the sweet sweet MG joy.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

Then I guess it's all or nothing! You only live once : D (and for those who don't dump ammunition live once very quickly?)

My advice: don't get hit... move fast and hit hard :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Bad Moon posted:

With only one mg? Fixed that for you there.

hey, it's a weapon, as long as it isn't healing the enemy mech or causing him to go fusion on us, i'm perfectly happy for him to do his 1 damage.

Mukaikubo posted:

Ah yes, the Happyelf mech. (Why Happyelf? Try out the 'happyelf' emote and you'll see.) Does BT even have rules for ammo explosions damaging nearby things? If it does, I can't recall because it comes up so rarely.

It does, and it can get quite impressive when you see an atlas go critcal.

• Locked thread