Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Gothsheep posted:

I say keep the machine gun. I for one want to see just how badly having a ton of machine gun ammo will screw you over!

5 minutes in megamek, i can make you see how explosive it can be and how it can cause a mech to disingrate... however that would be a little too transparent i think at the moment :P, most of the very old mechs and 3025 mech don't have CASE so i'm sure we will get to see one go boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

W.T. Fits posted:

I keep seeing people who're familiar with the system going on and on about how one lucky shot to your ammo will utterly destroy you.

Without getting into rules specifics, just how "lucky" would one have to be to even make that shot to begin with? Are we talking "the dice hate you" lucky or "the enemy can target and hit a specific spot like that with no trouble" lucky?

You would have to have the enemy have a critical hit, which is i remember is 1/12 or something like that, then the enemy rolls to see which one of the slots in the area you got a critical hit which is about 1/12 to 1/6 and pick the spot with the ammo in it. So it can happen but it is you being rather unlucky.

Mukaikubo posted:

Closer to the first, until your armor's gone. Then it's "you are literally significantly risking death with every shot".

after the armor is gone, every shot acts like a critical shot, hence the option to dump the ammo once the armor is gone.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

CASE technology has been "forgotten" by 3025. Only comstar units would have it.

The main problem with criticals is that any shot can critical with a roll of 2 on a 2d6. Bad luck can mean you're ejecting in turn one from a BS AC/2 shot :(. If you lose armor then every shot has a chance cause a nice explosion.

It's 1/36 not 1/12.

Yeah, thats why i mentioned most wouldn't have it, we are going to see something go boom lets hope it isn't us! :sweatdrop:

It's been years since i played with actual dice, it sounds like you have much better grasp then i do at the moment :)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Well I just Gave mechwarrior Living Legends a try and it looks absolutely amazing, what I imagined a mech game to be since mech 4. However, i notice there are like 4 servers and really didn't feel like learning the controls on the fly, so i played an empty server since there was only 1 almost full one it wasn't a problem.

If anyone else has this it would be fun to do once we actually have a few battles under our belts :c00l:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Lets get through this clean and quick! I'm sure they all are packing something to make our trip home in a parachute. Just like training, i'm sure.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Light the fires and kick the tires, if you can get a shot on our primary as long as you can get there without falling down, go for it, jumping your max will give the max penalty to his shots! But don't rush out into the open now, leave yourself some room to retreat and draw them toward us.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Bad Moon posted:

Just remember, you guys are mercs. You can't spend your pay if you're dead. Knock out the hover tanks then bug out. If you can pick off the enemy mechs go ahead, but don't get distracted by them. Secondary Objectives are just that, secondary. PTN wanted to be saucy and brought out a drat heavy mech piloted probably by a Vet level pilot, so be wary.

Remember Secondary objectives are more money in the bank, boys we can take them, just remember your training and focus fire when they come, they won't like us on their rock, and will want to try to get us off as fast as possible.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

For my own amusement I converted the current situation to a megamek scenario. If poptarts doesn't mind I can throw it up somewhere.

thats exactly how i'm planning my moves, and it helps a ton.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah, it is D, my bad.

So any thoughts? I think hiding behind the hill, and/or sniping from the hill then jumping anyone who comes over the hill with closed range weapons (an ad-hoc reverse slop defense) seems like a good move.

I'm not sure enough of the game to understand the relative balance of firepower between our lance and theirs, if any of the more experienced players wants to throw in their thoughts on the short/long/medium firepower disparity.

Right now sniping isn't an option with your build, both of you light mechs need to run screens meaning that you dash about and take shots when you can without exposing yourself completely. your range is possibly your biggest obsticale, you are a knife fighter, try to get behind them or draw them toward us, then flank them and shoot them in the back :cool:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
i almost want to give a sand chart to show our plan, but not sure if that would be spoilers (hell i don't know for sure how everyone is moving yet myself) if templar comes on soon, we could get the first turn done in a night... which would be awesome :v:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

Aren't you all on the same side? Shouldn't you all know each others moves?

We don't have the moves we pm to poptarts but we can try to organize here :)

Click here for the full 1139x1317 image.

Red is the projected path to the kill zone, C can go either way, as long as it draws the force toward the kill zone, represented by orange.

Purple is the movement we want from the opforce

the cyan is the most likely flank they will try to pull and that is why the long rangers can hang back in the area near where i put them. I like that central area, cause of the forests and hills will allow us to play cat and mouse if need be and best of all divide the forces with the terrian.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Okay I like that plan and it fits my proposed orders.

Just to be clear, movement speads like 7/11/5 are walking/running/jump?

Movement: 7 walk/11 run/5 jump to clarify for anyone else as well

your right exactly.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

Just remember to account for LOS from tree hexes when positioning to fire.

This is where mektek shines, especially when connecting to yourself, I'll prolly move more to the right then the griffin at least that is my idea, cause i'm shorter range, that would allow me to cover more of the zone and use my jump jets to move forward more.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Gothsheep posted:

Oh hey, are you guys going to do that thing where you hide in the trees and then shut down so they don't spot you until you're ready to power up and kill them?

not enough time, and i believe it takes a turn to startup, but it might be from a cold start. That type of ambush requires more trees and a better direction for them to attack from.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

Looking at the map, is anyone else expecting that we're hitting some kind of assault lances flank? I don't know, seems like there are far more off map or something :tinfoil:

Assault lances usually would be behind this group as this group out runs it easily

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Tarquinn posted:

Try to avoid splitting your fire. A nearly dead mech (baring any lucky critical hits) is just as dangerous as an undamaged one.

Which is why I want us to focus fire on the same target as much as possible, and since they are hover craft there is only one real way they can go to get us, the mechs well be mainly our heavy hitters keeping their attention while the scouts circle around them and try for flank shots or back shots. A jenner in the back of anything less than a heavy is not going to be pretty to say the least.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
You don't get to be in a merc company cause you're a coward! There are reasonable risks and then there is being in the Kurita militia. Thankfully, my mech is painted with a red and black triangle not a snake:c00l:

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 23, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Even with those, the fact that they basically build mechs around using just those weapons to use them more than once or twice was nice... until double heat sinks and the age of the clanner trash :(

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I just prefer the 3060s. :)

Hey, 3060 can be fun. I think it is more fun in a "omg i'm going to die if that lance of stone rhinos get a beat on us" but really I like the early mechs soley for the fact it is difficult and a bit more realistic as tall big robots shooting each other at 180 yards max range can be.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

Quick, does anyone know if PTN has a goatee?!?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

In theory, a Puma fitted properly could fry two Atlases in one turn, but I mean barring freak shots to the head. Not that I mind getting freak headshots, mind you. :)

Maybe it's something that doesn't enter my sphere of thought often because, as I said, Mechwarrior 4 was my first real BTech gaming, and getting a headshot in that game more or less required an act of god, because you sure as hell aren't going to get them intentionally. Even on a stationary mech standing still and politely waiting for you to shoot the cockpit you have to walk your shots, and you're still more likely to core it before getting in a headshot.

I was in a league with mw4 and you had to shoot the head twice to kill it, i got really good at it, the reason why it seems hard is the head is usually in a very specific place on the model you have to hit.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Defiance Industries posted:

You know, I really should do columns on mechs. I mean drat, my user name is Defiance Industries.

I'll help when i can and actually get them right this time :ssh: but sure man just get out a source book and go hog wild.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Zaodai posted:

The stock leagues were more challenging and skill intensive, which is where your headshot sniping comes in handy. So many terrible stock loadouts...

Which is what i was in, then we modded the game to actually do "varients" that used approved as simular to the board game as possible. I was really good back in the day, and the kell hounds kinda were used to do house battles, since we all trained to take down as many mechs as we could with as few mechs as possible, in my hayday, i could take out a hunchbacks cannon first shot, or any arm or other weapons (

if you shoot INSIDE the barrel, the game registered it as a critical hit to a weapon and would trash it with enough damage, everything in mechwarrior has layers of hit points, for example you can't truely be one shot in that game unless you've hit your front armor with anything first, even a tree. Same with the head. We called it One Shot Protection, and it gave you a reason to avoid trees and the like. We tested it fairly seriously too. :)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Zaodai posted:

Was that mod-only? I know in vanilla MW4 you could one shot mechs with headshots with low armor, or Ctor hits on rare occasion. Maybe it depended on how it counted hits? Like if you fired an alpha strike that included missiles and ballistic/energy weapons, the B/E weapons are going to get there well ahead of the missiles. I'd call that a single "shot", but the game would probably see it as multiple hits.

I'm kind of curious if I ended up playing against you in anything. I didn't play variant modded leagues (though the one you were in sounded great), but I was head admin of the CZ league for awhile.

That's really the way it should be. The Mechwarrior games were always fairly generous in how many hits you could take directly to the head. I always just assumed it was to counterbalance the fact that most weapons in the Mechwarrior games are far more accurate than they actually are in BT.

it was that way out of the box, you don't really notice it, but most weapons travel at different speeds, but if you had 7 erlarge lasers hit your CT you would survive, bit if you had 5 erlarge lasers and a ERPPC one would hit after the other, being the "second shot." unless they patched it out, you can do the same thing by having two fire groups one with 5 ER large lasers, and one in another, and fire one then the other, they will die. Also most people as you notice just trudge through the trees and stuff, thus, losing that since, it has been damaged, if extremely slightly.

edit: i'm trying to find my league and stuff

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 23, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
about my old league stuff:

my bookmarks from that time are kinda a mess.
all of the old bookmarks are either dead or dieing and we played in 3 leagues.

http://www.arc-royal.com/hounds/ was our website, which the owner made a bitter kinda blog style a few years ago

We played in Valor & Retribution Stock League
MGO network Battletech, League, i forget if we played much in it or not been a while
and the last one was a mektek league, but that was toward the end.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
"Already folks heat up the lead snake, that fast bastard is going around us, lets protect the pogues behind us!"

We just need one good solid hit guys on each and the rest is bonus time.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

So for movement can I use jumpsets AND run, or is it an or option?

Anyway, my tactical options are

A) Move to a blocking position in 0611 or thereas about and try and shoot the hovercraft when it blats past me

B) Rambo the hovercraft this turn

Can I do over-watch in this game? If I can do any sort of interrupt fire whatsoever, my inclination is to walk to a blocking position and set overwatch.

Whatcha going to Lance Leader? :D

you can either jump or run since it takes the same amount of time to land without killing yourself.

I'd say jump close to him and try shooting then next turn get as far away as you can... but it is up to you how risky you want to roll with it.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

Moving to 1707, facing the tank, firing a full salvo, and kicking.

Any alternative suggestions? Sending orders in an hour or so.

I would suggest walking and keeping about 3 hexs from it, and then shooting until your heat limit is up. Kicking requires a piloting roll and will damage your leg armor, better to save the armor and just fire at it, since, it moved so much chances are low to hit, but if you do good chance to disable it. I've got some fire on it.

if we could get the griffin to get some fire on the other one we will have grouped our fire most effectively.

edit: On the topic of why battlemech doesn't use computers and that, is that it allows truely skilled pilots to come to the forefront, instead of computer assisted. So in novels and fluff it is more about the skill of the people in it, instead of the machine targeting and who fires first so basically

:goonsay:

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 24, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

Hmm. The only thing is, if I can get to his rear, he can't fire back at me meaning I won't take any damage this round and it'll be poured on you A/B, who, lets face it, are much more likely to survive the rest of the fight.

Not to mention if I destroy his rear armor, it destroys his ammunition which means he'll be destroyed outright. A full salvo+kick is almost guaranteed to do this, pending rolls.

tanks have turrets that have 360 degree rotation, so really, not worth it :)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
okay guys, remember to take your targets in groups, if the griffin and i are the slowest, it maybe best to have us on the one out in front, pladdicus you might want to go to the other side and go into the trees if possible and gang up on him, or (and this is prolly best) wait for him to come around the bend, hovercraft have movement rules about going into trees if i remember right, so making him go around and allowing you to setup for a good attack once he does.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The goal is to take out at least one of them this turn, so focus on that, depending what happens next turn, we may have to shift so i'd take the shots you can now that uses the best targeting to whoever we can.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, as fun as this derailment has been, I'm afraid I need to ask you to find an appropriate place for it; since the Great Houses in Battletech don't have enough nuclear weapons left to glass a single planet, much less the 800+ worlds that make up the Inner Sphere.

Yeah and since a Few Ship class heavy PPCs from orbit can do the same thing, Who needs nukes :v: UIf poptarts would show the ship side of this game, it would make this universe seem a whole lot more crazy... maybe he will i'm not going out on the hull to jump over to the other ship, no sir

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Arglebargle III posted:

Yikes, I never thought of that. How do they shed heat!?

Same cooling system that the mechs use to normally shed heat. They have specific rules for such, but like poptarts said, it is a nightmare to do it and when they do it is usually not without deaths just by attempting.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
"St. Croix get out of there, you did your job we got a few commits to the south, now swing north around those hills and get into the kill zone for these fuckers. Only one more primary to go! hey does everyone enjoy checking to see if that cooling vest of yours is working, cause i'm pretty sure i'm nice and toasty and it's working fine!"

Okay now they have committed, it is time to get our primary. I think we should all swing to the north and take out the last mech, I'm posting a picture to clarify

purple is how we want them to commit further

red is the movement direction should go, this allows us, to try to get the faster elements seperated from the slower ones and the ones crossing to the south.

we all need to focus this turn on taking out that last hovercraft so we can do a tactical retreat if it starts getting to hot and heavy or if you guys break morale and run :goon: ;)

Mukaikubo posted:

Too often wild cards become "Critical hit... ammunition explosion." I swear that calm, mocking computer voice from Mechwarrior 2 still haunts me whenever I play Megamek, and haunted me every time I played the tabletop. "Critical hit... gyro. Critical hit. Weapon destroyed..."

It was always worse when it hit a guass cause that thing made you feel it, and usually you were left without a left arm or torso.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 24, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mahoshonen posted:

Here's a crazy idea for D. Not sure how feasible it is, but it plays into Poptarts comments that he's RPing the OpFor: get as close as you can to the Dragon and challenge it. If you can get inside minimum range, then he won't be able to return fire.

Is this genius? Suicide?

mechs can punch and kick you know right?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

Some things I noticed.

1. Your plan puts the griffin really close to the tank, where its weapons are least effective.

2. If you do end up getting into a slug fight in "kill zone", the enemy will have a terrain advantage because they can frolic in the woods.

3. You're putting the vulcan right out in the open.

4. There's no way the jenner can run that far.

Most of the arrows are approximate mostly just to show general movements, over several turns, but your right looking at it now that i've woken up more, the arrows seem to imply places that aren't that good at all.

I'll have to draw up a better one.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
here is a better thought out plan, though it is still in the early stages, it would mean that the dragon could take a few potshots, at either the griffin or me at partial cover but the ones in greatest danger he couldn't shoot at.

this also gives the jenner a cowardly and manly options, but if you do go manly watch your haeat things are going to only go bad to worst with an alpha strike.

i was more looking at the end spot then counting hexs :)
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 24, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

Okay, cool that's about all I needed to know :)

Edit: Provided you think I'm moving over the hill, yeah. That works (the hill is much less MP, mostly due to facing)
Edit2: My end spot in that case is 1707, which works nicely for me.

if you could get to 1906 somehow that would let you be completely safe (heavy trees + light trees = no shot from the dragon)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

Alas, tis impossible I believe. Unless one can jumpjet and move.

I am feeling that same way as i try to move myself, just one or two more movement points and it would be perfect for both cover and a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Agent Interrobang posted:

It DOES make sense. In a mixed lance with conventional vehicle backup, you'd want something that could keep pace with the hovertanks. And a Hussar is a drat hard target if the pilot is anywhere near competent.

I really think that this will all play out based on how long it takes to take down the hovertank, i played a few games with just my blackjack and baring a explosion like before, it took about 6 rounds to knock it out on average. We may end up just retreating to the end of the board after killing it cause of general wear and tear and the other mechs circling, prolly taking a spider, or a jenner with us. But unless the LT gets a luck shot off, i think that dragon will still be live and running.

• Locked thread