Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Pladdicus posted:

The way I see it, I have two choices, I can take it slow, settle into some cover and wait for allies to catch up, then on Round 2 I can pop out, go all out on the tanks.

OR

I can charge ahead early and go all out on Round 1, leaving myself somewhat exposed. Of course, moving 9 hexes (though it'll be less due to terrain) should leave me a somewhat more difficult target for the 'mechs further back.

Tactical insight from the experienced?

Those hovercraft are pretty well situated, defensively. You don't have many options to get a hit in on them first round. The terrain will eat your movement alive unless you jump, and your weapons ranges are kind of short. You could jump to, say, hex 1112 and fire everything at K5; you'd have to do nothing but flee next turn because you'd get nailed with some heat and there wouldn't be a GREAT chance of killing it outright first turn.

Disclaimer: I am not especially great at this game. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Yeah. There's something to be said for the Jenner doing a big jump and gambling that he can at least cripple one of the primary objectives round one; most of the Kurita mechs aren't going to be in good position to shoot him immediately, so he'll have another round to jump back over the hill and back off. On the other hand, the Jenner's armor is light enough that even one hit could ruin his day, and the prospects of taking out the hovercraft aren't excellent. It all comes down to Pladdicus' judgment. :3

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Bad Moon posted:

Also, but is anybody else feeling Hikaru Yoshita is the BattleTech Universe version of Korvat? :3:

He's almost DEFINITELY... oh, you get the idea.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Longinus00 posted:

For my own amusement I converted the current situation to a megamek save. If poptarts doesn't mind I can throw it up somewhere.

Oh man, this would be excellent to wargame out. :o

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Longinus00 posted:

Just remember to account for LOS from tree hexes when positioning to fire.

Come on, painstakingly maneuvering to get into the PERFECT firing position only to be told by some smug rear end that you don't actually have LOS to his unit is the spirit of Battletech in a nutshell, we can recreate it here.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have enough surprises in store for you in this fight that you don't really need to worry too much about blundering into an Atlas. If I pull too many punches, things'll be boring.

I'm surprised nobody's done a tactical analysis of the J. Edgar yet.

Well, I *was* going to only do tactical analyses of allied units throughout the LP, but if I'm provoked... :D

J. Edgar Light Hover Tank

Mass: 25 tons
Movement: 184 km/h max speed (11/17)
Armor: 6.5 tons
Weaponry:
2x SRM-2: Damage 2-4 (each), Max Range 9 hexes, 2 heat (each)
1x Medium Laser: You know the %#$*(& stats for these by now. 5 damage, 3 heat, 9 hexes max range.

Thoughts: Surprisingly well armored for its size, though that's made up for by vehicles' propensity to break down if you look at them funny since you get plenty of crits. Absurdly fast. ABSURDLY fast. Will outrun you if they decide to leave- you will get one good shot on them and then woosh. Weapons are only a moderate threat though, unless you stand still with your back to them because you just can't give up that shot you've got on a mech.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Pladdicus posted:

What, statistically? Weapon-wise? I'm not sure what's cool to post about and what's to be left alone.

After seeing what PTN is providing to his players in his posts, my misgivings about that have fled. The tactical analyses of each unit players get into will continue in the grand (silly) tradition I've started. Other vehicles/threats analyzed at request.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Oh, you big worrywarts. I'm sure that fourth mech is nothing they can't handle! Probably barely even anything. The spotter just mistook some trees for a mech. What's there to worry about? :v:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Gonna laugh when it turns out to be a Panther and cores somebody's head with its first shot.

Fixed that for you.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Longinus00 posted:

Yea, the level 2 erppc(clan) and gauss rifle really change things as they can both decapitate any mech from 22 hexes away.

I don't know. I still like Level 2 rules, a lot. They're... different, and it's a different style of game, but it's one I like just as much as level 1. :shobon:

Besides, streak SRMs are just fun. :swoon:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Quick, does anyone know if PTN has a goatee?!?

Related: Can Cardassians have goatees?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

quote:

That and the general up-gunning of everything with a lesser need for actual tactics since you can just fire everything thanks to double heat sinks.

But yeah, adding weapons that can tear off heads with one shot from half a map away was never a really good idea for balance, no matter how cool gauss rifles are.

I've got to disagree. There are a large number of Level 2 mechs- like the stock Timber Wolf, the very emblem of clan mechs- who can't just 'fire everything' or they will overheat just like an IS level 1 mech.

Also, I really don't like the idea that any weapon with damage > 10 and range > ???? should never be allowed. It seems kinda silly.

e: I actually had to quit playing the tabletop game because my group became fundamentalist NO LEVEL 2 TECH EVER AND YOU ARE A MORON FOR LIKING IT MUK so I am kind of defensive about this, sorry. :(

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 23, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Also, and I am as guilty of this as anyone, but it might be a really good idea to take the recurring (it's happened at least twice in this thread) level 1 vs. level 2 arguments to the TGD thread so we do not muck up the LP thread any more than we have already mucked it up. :(

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I really think if we ever get another Star Trek show we need to have a cardie on the bridge crew. Even if he's a straight man you can have random aliens poo poo bricks at the Federation's new cardie security officer or whatever. :3:

Frankly, I'm hoping for a Cardassian counselor. :3: "Tell me about your feelings. Tell me all your... secrets."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

:aaa:

Seconded!

A counselor that doubles as the captain's (unofficial, of course) spymaster would be awesome.

Well, in the next generation novel about the mirror universe that got retconned out of existence, Troi was a viciously sadistic "counselor"/security/political officer, who controlled the Agony Booth and got off on torturing people, so...

Oh god, star trek novels :negative:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

You know, I really should do columns on mechs. I mean drat, my user name is Defiance Industries.

Yeah. I'm doing the capsule tactical analyses on the crunchy stuff on Mechs for people to refer to, but mech fluff is fun fluff.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

If PTN throws an aerospace strike on us in this mission, I will laugh so hard.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

TildeATH posted:

That Jenner may be able to jump high enough to get its SRMs in range...

I hope we get at least one hopeless battle wherein the only "success" could be considered chewing up a few extra minutes of the enemy's time.

And I hope it's one where I'm playing. :3:

I can't promise I won't call back to Star Trek and demand people keep this song in mind as our turns resolve. Bonus points if a depressed Irishman ejects from a 'Mech only to later turn up at a New Avalon Institute for Science place as an engineer.

edit: Well, duh, first time we fight the Clans. But would that make Clan Steel Viper the Cardassians...?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Fixed your post.

Also, I think I'd be slightly more worried about off-map artillery or orbital bombardment than aerospace assets. Most of the fighters available would go down to laser fire rather easily, wouldn't they?

Setting up a perfect trap to find out they've got a Cruiser in orbit or that you're up against a heavy lance AND offmap arty all of a sudden would be one hell of an "oh shi-" style moment for a future mission.

Eeehhhh, Kurita's got an 80 ton aerospace fighter model that could pretty badly wreck our force. Probably not here, though, unless this entire planet is a trap. :tinfoil:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

elitebuster posted:

Ummmm....WTF? I've been thrown for a loop with just the explaination post swapping Widowmaker and Wolf clans. Are you doing this to basicly de-canonize the books? If so, I applaud you.:golfclap:

"Lets All Play Battletech and rewrite Inner Sphere history" maybe wasn't broad enough. We're not just rewriting Inner Sphere history. It's all gone into the blender now.

NO FATE BUT WHAT WE MAKE

(sorry I love that quote)

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Hahahaha, that hovertank pilot knows mech weapons ranges very well. Excellent. This should be a humorous gunnery round.

e: 4 away from the Vulcan, 7 away from the Blackjack, and 8 away from the Griffin. Nice positioning. Still laughing over here.

e2: and the other one is 6 away from the Vulcan. That's great. PTN, you are a funny man.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 24, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Axe-man posted:

"Already folks heat up the lead snake, that fast bastard is going around us, lets protect the pogues behind us!"

We just need one good solid hit guys on each and the rest is bonus time.

Yeah... that could be a problem. If y'all have any incantations to beseech the Dice Gods to be merciful I suggest you start warming them up.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah a spacefaring culture would never use weight as a unit of measure, especially for something like a mech that's going to be traveling around. Can you imagine what a headache it would be to figure out the new tonnage every time you landed somewhere?

Because tons can be 1,000 kilograms.

quote:

An aircraft, however large, is not a great comparison for a mech, obviously. B-52s aren't expected to survive direct hits from artillery or lug around fusion reactors.

... Which leads to two other tech questions.

1. What kind of fusion technology are they using? From what I know about fusion reactors, it would be really really hard to design one that exploded when its containment failed. I mean, I could see a mech kinda going Hindenburg on you if its carrying a poo poo-ton of compressed hydrogen, but going nuclear? Not going to happen with fusion. (Incidentally, what exactly happens when a mech loses its reactor? The fuel exploding would be realistic, but the reactor exploding would not.)

They don't explode. The video games do it to make it look more awesome. Some authors do it for more awesome descriptions.

quote:

2. Why is anyone using mechs anyway? Did they forget guided missile technology too? Why not just put a HEAT warhead through the cockpit, using any one of a zillion delivery systems available today? It's not WWII anymore. (Of course in wargaming it is WWII forever. Just check out the tactics of any popular wargaming franchise. It's WWII.)

Because it's a game about mechs and driving mechs and they had to futz with realism to make something that would be fun.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Pladdicus posted:

I have it on good authority, that if I can get to its rear, with some decent luck, a full salvo and a kick that hits, I can kill it. With another mech(or two if they can't get to the other tank) assisting me, this tank is going down this round, or near deathed at the least!

ohhhhhhh, I thought we were about to do a firing phase NOW, never mind.

All my points about the hovercraft being diabolically well placed are void.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

So for movement can I use jumpsets AND run, or is it an or option?

Anyway, my tactical options are

A) Move to a blocking position in 0611 or thereas about and try and shoot the hovercraft when it blats past me

B) Rambo the hovercraft this turn

Can I do over-watch in this game? If I can do any sort of interrupt fire whatsoever, my inclination is to walk to a blocking position and set overwatch.

Whatcha going to Lance Leader? :D

Nope. Either jumpjets or run in a single turn. And there's no interrupt fire.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Axe-man posted:

I would suggest walking and keeping about 3 hexs from it, and then shooting until your heat limit is up. Kicking requires a piloting roll and will damage your leg armor, better to save the armor and just fire at it, since, it moved so much chances are low to hit, but if you do good chance to disable it. I've got some fire on it.

if we could get the griffin to get some fire on the other one we will have grouped our fire most effectively.

Agree. All your attacks are going to be low probability already- don't jump or run, because that'll make it an even harder shot. Save that for running from the Mechs. :v:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Axe-man posted:

Yeah and since a Few Ship class heavy PPCs from orbit can do the same thing, Who needs nukes :v: UIf poptarts would show the ship side of this game, it would make this universe seem a whole lot more crazy... maybe he will i'm not going out on the hull to jump over to the other ship, no sir

I don't know about that, but something that might be fun later is a single mission where we are flying top cover for a Mech battle, all out dogfight/ground attack for an aerotech squadron. It's also probably the only way we could really 'beat' the Clans until Comstar begins putting out. Would also be fun to see people struggling with some of the wonkier Aerotech rules.

This has nothing to do with my ability to quote entire scenes of Top Gun from memory.

Don't you judge me

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

I was wondering that about the spotting too, especially after I all but asked to be put in a spotter/scout role when it was my turn in the barrel. :v: Lucky shots on K5, slightly balanced by a lack of luck in hitting K6. Everyone focus fire on the tank and let's see if we can't take down a few Kurita mechs as bonuses.

Also, Top Gun: Succession Wars would be an excellent idea and none of you can refute this.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

No lie, aerospace combat is pretty drat cool too. It's just kind of clunky to integrate it with mech combat as well since fighters are so damned fast. But something like screening a dropship as it burns toward a planet? Hell yeah. :rock:

Tactical analysis: First thing to comes to mind is that K6 is going to be off-board next turn unless you guys managed to at least wing it now. I would suggest A walks to 1508, this puts you in position to fire at K6 with a minimum of penalties and keeps your front to the other enemies. B I would suggest either running (via 1205-1306-1406) or jumping to 1507, facing southeast. This puts K6 in your front arc and protects your flank, and at a range of 5 hexes it is just inside short range for your large lasers. Both of you need to open up on K6 and hope for good rolls.

C has the range to help with K6 if you're willing to accept penalties from such a long jump. I'd probably risk it since the objective is so close to getting away, and jump to 1806 facing southeast. This puts your lasers within short range, which you'll need to overcome the jumping penalties. 3 mechs on one tank seems like overkill but the hit last turn on the other one was pure luck, you guys really need to swamp this one in fire.

D is kind of in a bind, all alone south of the river. It could probably shoot up K2 pretty well if you got lucky, but not knowing what K1 is has me leery. Similarly, while a Jenner is a good choice for harrassing a Dragon up close, taking on K3 and K4 at the same time by yourself is not a very good idea. I'd probably jump to 1611 and maybe take a potshot at k3. Not that I expect to hit but the movement is more to consolidate with the rest of the lance and the trees should screen you a bit.

Yeah, D's goal also has to be to make itself as hard to hit as possible and draw fire, it's in no position to attack the objective. Jump, jump, jump, jump around, get behind partial cover or trees, launch a potshot, etc.

Also screening a landing dropship against aerospace interdiction would be awesome.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Another option for D if he's feeling gutsy is to jump to somewhere around the 0717 area and try to split the OpFor lance. K2 could close there but it's no match for our Jenner. K3 might be tempted to head over instead of facing 3 mediums at close quarters. That leaves K1 as the wild card, though.

Too often wild cards become "Critical hit... ammunition explosion." I swear that calm, mocking computer voice from Mechwarrior 2 still haunts me whenever I play Megamek, and haunted me every time I played the tabletop. "Critical hit... gyro. Critical hit. Weapon destroyed..."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

My wager is that the damned thing's a Hussar 300-D. Long ranged pure-recon Mech, paper thin armor. Almost as abominably fast as the J. Edgars. Call it a hunch.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Agent Interrobang posted:

Oh jesus Hussars. Especially the H300-D variant. They really did not make the 'SLDF tech cannot be produced anymore' transition well, did they? I love 'em, but god they're fragile things.

If they're running flat out, that's okay. What are they, 10/15? And that large laser they mount can give a cocky Mech some nasty surprises. I just think it fits the lance structure; three dedicated, speedy scouts and a fast heavy providing long range support for all three.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Pladdicus posted:

Confidence, I am now filled with it.

Look at it this way, you can't do worse!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Tempest_56 posted:

Well, let's look at things. What do we know about the unknown? It's a light, it moves at least 5/8, this is Succession Wars tech and it isn't a typical Combine mech.

Possibilities? Locust, Wasp, Stinger, Spider, Ostscout, Mercury, Thorn, Valkyrie, Mongoose, Commando, Javelin, Hermes, Hussar, Firestarter.

So 14 potentials. Of those, I'd say only the Javelin, Firestarter, Hermes and Hussar are any real threat to us. Maybe the Commando. The rest are all either too lightly armed or armored to be a significant problem at this point.

I'm getting all warm and tingly inside. Talk more logic to me, baby. :allears:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Apropos of absolutely nothing, I reread my favorite Battletech novel today; the final novel of the Warrior trilogy, the first thing Stackpole wrote. Not very good, but god drat it is fun.

Hanse Davion suiting up in a Battlemaster to beat off a "Death Commando" attack on his capital in person is so much :hellyeah: it is difficult to absorb. I am such a fanboy.

e: seriously the dude tore off a marauder's arm and beat the poo poo out of a half dozen mechs with it how can you not follow that kind of prince to hell :swoon:

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 25, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Eh, it really fails at conveying the universe compared to it's contemporaries. Read wolves on the border or the GDL novels instead.

The Warrior trilogy is fun if you are a Davion fan because it's three books of sloppy blowjob for your faction. Boring as gently caress if you like anyone else. It's like if I wrote a trilogy called "Caesar Steiner fights and screws his way across the Inner Sphere and never loses."

Have. Have read pretty much all of them. Still like Stackpole's books more than everything else, aside from a few quibbles about fights.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wow, more lucky shooting. Someone rolled snake-eyes on their to-hit roll.

Edit: And a potential motive system hit.

Double edit: And boxcars. Dear lord, y'all are lucky. D:

We're burning all of our crits against hovercraft so that when it comes time to engage other mechs, it will be like the Phantom Mech x4. Nothing we do will hit.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

You are a Davvie or Wolf then, I take it?

:rolleye:

My favorite faction's probably Clan Nova Cat, actually. I love those nuts. And slapping the Cameron Star on their logo after the other clans abjured them, man, that is such a wonderful "No, gently caress YOU" to every other clanner alive. So fun. And if we're talking IS, probably the Taurian Concordat. I have a much bigger soft spot for the smaller powers than the hugenormous successor states. Hell, I was rooting for the Taurians to keep slowly expanding outwards and getting more and more powerful and eventually being recognized as the equal of some of the Successor States. :ohdear:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

An ammunition hit in the turret requires a roll of an 11 (1:18 chance). To score a chance for a critical without armor requires boxcars (1:36 chance). What are the odds of that happening two turns in a row?

Approximately, as much as I have to laugh as I say this, one in a million.

(actually 2.38 in a million but that's not poetic enough)

edit: That would be if you only fired once per round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Agent Interrobang posted:

Nova Cat solidarity! You can be in my sibko... anytime. :cool::respek::cool:

I just spent several minutes trying to think of how to combine "Bullshit" and "Neg" appropriately to put in front of "You can be in mine."

(note: Changing "You can be mine" to "You can be in mine" is possibly the only way to make that line crackle with more sexual tension.)

• Locked thread