Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Rye Bread posted:

You're right, it was. However, it says the profile is active but it hasn't activated wifi yet.

If you test the task, does wifi come on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

brc64 posted:

If you test the task, does wifi come on?

Yes it did. I guess the real test is to see if it works later when I leave and come home?

Just went out. Didn't turn off.

And now today, it worked perfectly. Disregard.

Rye Bread fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 28, 2011

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Just got the Evo the other day, first smart-phone, and I love this app.

With the "enable wifi on proximity" profile though GPS gets left on and it seems to periodically check to make sure I'm still home. I'm not sure if this really affects battery life that much anyway, but I'm trying to optimize it to an extent. I just set another profile to turn GPS off when it connects to my router, exit condition turns GPS on. While I'm at work it silences, turns of pretty much everything except mobile data. Mobile data is set to turn off with the screen and set to turn back on when unlocked. If I need to let it download something I just turn off the "disable data" profile.

Compared to my first day with the phone I've basically doubled the battery life (granted I had everything on and was downloading apps like mad at lunch that first day) with this setup. I kind of wish you could set up more conditions for a single profile to make more complicated stuff, maybe you can and I just need to mess with it more.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Is it possible to use tasker like when you move the phone away from your head the screen comes on then move of back it goes off, make a task that knows when its in your case or pocket set the screen to off or very short timeout and when its out lock the screen or change to long timeout until you turn it off manually or put it away?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Brightman posted:

With the "enable wifi on proximity" profile though GPS gets left on and it seems to periodically check to make sure I'm still home. I'm not sure if this really affects battery life that much anyway, but I'm trying to optimize it to an extent.
I'm assuming you're using a location context. If you don't want it polling GPS at a set interval, you can edit your context to determine location by "Net" only (untick "GPS" on the location screen). You will get a less precise fix, but GPS will stop firing up every few minutes. If you do this, however, just make sure to increase the radius for the location. Net gives me a 1km accuracy so I have my radius set to 2km, and that works well for me.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Well I have it setup to only have data enabled when I'm actually using the phone, so that wouldn't work (perhaps I should just stop doing this),since it'd just turn the wifi off as a result. My solution of just having it turn GPS off when it finds my router should work...except sometimes it seems to forget wifi is on and I'm not too sure why. So currently I come home, GPS realizes this, wifi gets turned on, as a result of that GPS gets turned off. I let the phone charge or sit a while though and while wifi is still on, it's not working and 3G is up again, with the result being that GPS is once again enabled. We'll see what happens with this when I leave during the weekend.

Also I live really close to work, so if my radius was 2km it would just always be on :v:

Just need to mess with it more.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

900ftjesus posted:

Also, if you have a rooted Evo, you can use the secret LED for notifications.

Missed call - Amber LED, overrides purple.
SMS/Google Voice - Purple LED unless Amber is already on.

These are both stopped when the screen is unlocked.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I've currently set mine up similarly. I've always liked the LED notifications from way back when I had a BlackBerry so this fills that desire. Still using the trial of Tasker but I think I'm going to buy it, if for nothing else just this feature.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
For net location, the exact location of your home isn't as important as where net triangulation thinks your house is. Go into GMaps with GPS and WiFi off and see where network triangulation places you. Now go into Tasker and create a location context, WiFi off and untick GPS. Press Get Fix once. If it shows a different location than in Maps with 1000 meter accuracy, press again until it shows the same location as in Maps. Don't worry about placing the flag directly on your house and adjusting a radius 2x your accuracy. Leave the flag where net location places it with a smaller accuracy. Unless you have varying reception in different areas of your house throwing off triangulation, net location should stay the same.

I haven't found it anywhere in the documentation, but I've found pressing get fix once places my location at the actual single tower location on the roof of a nearby hotel with 1000m accuracy, and pressing it again places me within 2-3 blocks of my house with 2.9k accuracy.

If your net location bounces around a lot, and your home and work can't see the same towers, you could use a single tower to trigger the event. Less accurate, but it uses less battery than net location. Practically none. It works for my partner's phone, and her work is less than 1 mile away.

I also use this to shut off data when I'm at my mom's because the signal is so week. I guess I could also have it airplane and the turn on every 1/2 hour or so to look for texts and voicemail notifications.

There's also a signal strength condition, but the values run 0-8 and I have no idea what those mean. And the inverse checkbox? I should email the dev and ask him what's wrong with dBm...

Joans
Sep 14, 2004

brc64 posted:

This is what I do, which works pretty well:

Context: Location
Select "Net", Deselect "GPS", hit Get Fix. It will tell you the accuracy of the fix (1000 meters in my case). I set my Radius to 2km (if I remember right, you want your radius to be larger than the accuracy when using Net).

Task: Home
WiFi - Set: On (WiFi is found under category "Net" when selecting an action)

Next, I add an exit task (if you're looking at the profiles list, you should be able to press on your "Home" task and select "Add Exit Task")

Task: Leave Home
WiFi - Set: Off

I also have a couple of other location contexts where I know there is wifi to join, and I just re-use the "Home" and "Leave Home" tasks for those.

Note: There is a third WiFi setting option, Toggle, which will turn wifi on if it's off and vice versa. I don't like this option as much, since I worry it could cause things to get a little confused. With my method, wifi always turns on when I'm home, and it always turns off when I leave. If I turned it on somewhere else and forgot to turn it off, it would simply stay on when I got home.

Finally, here is some additional information on location in Tasker:
http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/loctears.html

Right, I'm back and my wi-fi on/off task has been working very well, thank you, but I have a new question.

I've turned up at my parents house today, and I'll be here on and off over the next few weeks, so I'd like to set up another location context to cover their house. I cloned my existing task, and then set the new task to my current location, but I seem to have managed to change both tasks (both profiles are currently active, but I'm nowhere near my house, just my parents). Is there any way for me to move my "home" location on my other profile, it looks like all I can do is set it to my current location?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Before Tasker, every time I got in my car I had to turn on Slacker and Bluetooth to have streaming radio. Now I just turn on Slacker and bluetooth turns on automatically. My question is: Is there a way for Tasker to ever just know that I'm in my car? That way I can just leave the phone in my pocket and when I'm driving it'll be playing every time?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

yamdankee posted:

Before Tasker, every time I got in my car I had to turn on Slacker and Bluetooth to have streaming radio. Now I just turn on Slacker and bluetooth turns on automatically. My question is: Is there a way for Tasker to ever just know that I'm in my car? That way I can just leave the phone in my pocket and when I'm driving it'll be playing every time?

Not unless you have a car dock. I know there's a context for that.

You could create a 1x1 widget to do that, but that sounds like it's no better a solution than what you're doing now.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

yamdankee posted:

Do you plug it in when you get in your car?

If so, you could make a plug in event to always turn on bluetooth (since who really cares about power consumption when you are plugged in) and then another event to fire up Slacker when it makes a bluetooth connection to your car.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Fancy_Lad posted:

Do you plug it in when you get in your car?

If so, you could make a plug in event to always turn on bluetooth (since who really cares about power consumption when you are plugged in) and then another event to fire up Slacker when it makes a bluetooth connection to your car.

This is what I do, I have an action connected to when I plug in the AC power and another when I plug in the headset. When both are plugged in it will launch a few tasks (set volume to 80%, turn on Bluetooth, turn off Wi-Fi).

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Thanks for the suggestions! Another question:

I'm trying to set up another profile that will increase the ringer volume to 10 when I'm home and then back to zero when I leave, similar to the wifi setting. However, it does not set my ringer volume higher when I hit apply, it stays on vibrate. Am I missing something?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I think silent/vibrate is its own task and cant be over-ridden by changing the volume. Put a volume>silent mode>off action before the ringer volume value action. Also, ringer and notifications volume are separate unless you change it in Android sounds settings.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

goku chewbacca posted:

Also, ringer and notifications volume are separate unless you change it in Android sounds settings.
This is what really got me. I set the phone to keep ringtone and notification volumes the same and now I just use Tasker to lower the ringtone volume when I'm home and it affects both.

My other favorite volume-related task is that whenever I plug in my headphones, media volume gets set to 1 below maximum and I get a popup allowing me to select between Pandora or the MP3 player (this popup also automatically turns on and unlocks the screen, too, which is pretty cool).

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

How do you create the pop-up? I swear I saw the option awhile back but can't figure out how to do it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

The way I do it is with the "Load App" option within the "App" category. One for each app I want to see when I plug in my headphones.

Edit: oh, you need to hit the little wrench icon in the task screen to get to the task properties and set the task type to "Menu"

brc64 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 9, 2011

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Ahhhh, there it is! Thanks for that, finally have the music menu like I wanted.

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Portrait of the Artist as a Grump
Ok, resurrecting this thread with a dilemma. I'm trying to sort out a task that will pause my music when youtube launches. The usual application variable works when opening youtube from the app drawer, but not when launched from a link, does anyone know how to make that work? (say I've clicked a link in facebook, the popup appears saying open in browser or youtube, I choose youtube, and music continues to play)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I got the secret LED on my EVO to work with new SMS, but can I get it to flash for new Gmail emails too? I can't seem to anything in Tasker about gmail notifications.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Iananan posted:

Ok, resurrecting this thread with a dilemma. I'm trying to sort out a task that will pause my music when youtube launches. The usual application variable works when opening youtube from the app drawer, but not when launched from a link, does anyone know how to make that work? (say I've clicked a link in facebook, the popup appears saying open in browser or youtube, I choose youtube, and music continues to play)

Shouldn't you be able to just set a context for when Youtube is in focus?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I got the secret LED on my EVO to work with new SMS, but can I get it to flash for new Gmail emails too? I can't seem to anything in Tasker about gmail notifications.

Make a task that blinks the light how you want, you probably did this already but you might want a different pattern for Gmail versus SMS.

New Profile -> Event -> UI -> Notification

Choose Owner Application and pick whatever you want to trigger it and then choose your light flashing task as the action.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

900ftjesus posted:

Make a task that blinks the light how you want, you probably did this already but you might want a different pattern for Gmail versus SMS.

New Profile -> Event -> UI -> Notification

Choose Owner Application and pick whatever you want to trigger it and then choose your light flashing task as the action.

Yeah, I meant to edit my post but I eventually figured it out. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to make the LED go away if the screen is already on when the notification comes in (which incidentally I just PM'd you about before I saw you reply in the thread).

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yeah, I meant to edit my post but I eventually figured it out. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to make the LED go away if the screen is already on when the notification comes in (which incidentally I just PM'd you about before I saw you reply in the thread).

Just came up with an idea.

Make a profile so when you unlock the screen, set a variable like "UNLOCKED = 1"

Make a profile for Display Off that sets "UNLOCKED = 0".

Now set an "if" on your light tasks "If UNLOCKED ~ 0" so it will only trigger if UNLOCKED is 0.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

900ftjesus posted:

Just came up with an idea.

Make a profile so when you unlock the screen, set a variable like "UNLOCKED = 1"

Make a profile for Display Off that sets "UNLOCKED = 0".

Now set an "if" on your light tasks "If UNLOCKED ~ 0" so it will only trigger if UNLOCKED is 0.

Apparently I don't know how to set variables because my attempt kept the LED from lighting up even with the screen off.

I created a new profile with Screen Unlocked, then added Variable Add and set it to 1. Did the same with Screen Off but set it to 2. I'm guessing this isn't right.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I use Astrid to help remind me about bills, but I've noticed that whenever I update it from the Market, if I don't specifically remember to open it back up again, it kills my reminders until I do. Does anybody know if there's a way to use Tasker to basically make sure Astrid is always running? I guess I could set a task to launch Astrid every 6 hours or something, but I don't necessarily want it in the foreground every time.

I'm thinking something along the lines of having a variable associated with the running status of Astrid, and if the variable is cleared, to pause for a few minutes then start it again (presumably the only time Astrid would close would be during an update, so I wouldn't want to try to start it back up again until after the update finished). Any ideas?

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Ashex posted:

Shouldn't you be able to just set a context for when Youtube is in focus?

I thought that was what I was doing, is that not the same as selecting youtube from the app list?

is the app list launch/close and focus is different?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Iananan posted:

I thought that was what I was doing, is that not the same as selecting youtube from the app list?

is the app list launch/close and focus is different?

Are you adding a context of application and selecting Youtube? When you use that it will activate the profile when the app is in focus.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Apparently I don't know how to set variables because my attempt kept the LED from lighting up even with the screen off.

I created a new profile with Screen Unlocked, then added Variable Add and set it to 1. Did the same with Screen Off but set it to 2. I'm guessing this isn't right.

Use Variable Set.

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Ashex posted:

Are you adding a context of application and selecting Youtube? When you use that it will activate the profile when the app is in focus.

still doesn't work when another app launches youtube.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
At night I want to turn down my notifications for emails, but not for text messages. How would I set that up here?

Jazz Metal
Oct 23, 2008

The Flying Clog Wog posted:

At night I want to turn down my notifications for emails, but not for text messages. How would I set that up here?

There might be a simpler way to do it, but here's my first thought:

Set up 2 profiles:

#1 Context
Time 10:00 (or whenever "night" is for you)

Task
Notification Volume: 0

#2 Context
Time 10:00-6:00
Event Received Text

Task
Notification Volume: 15
Exit Task: Notification Volume: 0

The only problem I could thing of is it might not turn the volume up in time for the notification to actually sound, so if it doesn't work quite right you can add an "Alert/Notify Sound" right after the volume up task. Also, you could add one more in there that turns the volume back up to normal in the morning. Again, simplification is probably possible, but it's a start.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

900ftjesus posted:

Headphones plugged in - Set Media and Notification and ringer volume to 3. In the car I turn the media volume up full, so it keeps it from deafening me when I use headphones and it keeps notifications from blasting my car speakers.

Headphones unplugged - Notifications and ringers back to previous volume (vibrate or full volume), media volume to 0

This is pretty cool, I've borrowed it :)

However, is there a way to set the exit task to 'whatever the volume was before plugging in headphones'? This is one thing I've struggled to find.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I'm experimenting with some new tasks.

Context: Display Unlocked (Event)
Task: Silent Mode / Vibrate (Audio)

Context: Display Off
Task: Silent Mode / Off

Basically, the idea is that if my phone is on and unlocked, I'm using it, so I don't really need to hear the notification sounds. Setting Silent Mode to vibrate means that even if I'm in the browser or any other app that covers the notification bar I'll know when something has happened. And using Silent Mode doesn't mute media volume, so other stuff still works as expected.

Then when I turn the screen back off, the sound goes back to normal (which changes depending on whether I'm home or somewhere else).

I'm gonna use this for a while and see how well it works.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Tasker is awesome and I'm glad there's a thread for it. It works perfectly for setting the phone to vibrate when I'm at work and to regular when I leave based on the active cell. However now I'm trying to get it to turn on speaker phone automatically when the phone is placed screen down during a call, and back off when it's picked up (like some HTC WM phones do). But no matter how much I gently caress around with it, the phone either gets stuck in speakerphone mode, or never enters it. Has anyone had any success getting something like this to work?

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
I was wondering if it was possible to have the screen rotate only when the keyboard comes up? I tried using the keyboard out selection under that state menu but when I turn my phone nothing happens. I assume this is because the state doesn't refer to a on screen keyboard but a hardware keyboard. Of course you can choose specific apps to rotate, but it would be nice to have it happen only when I want to type something. Any ideas?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
If you want bluetooth available during calls, hate going to enable it and switching, and then turning it off when you're done.

Profile 1:
Phone Offhook -> Bluetooth On

Profile 2:
Phone Idle AND Not Bluetooth Connected -> Bluetooth Off

You will have to manually switch it off if you hang up and have it connected. I figure I already have to turn the headset off, I'll just disable BT too. If you don't need it, it will shut itself off when the phone goes idle again.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is there some way I'm not seeing to have an action happen at a certain time rather than within a range of times? I tried only using the From time but then it just used it as that time until the end of the day. I just want my phone to make sure it turns the ringer on at 7:00 every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
So I have an exit task on a WiFi connect action to kill an app. If I turn wifi off on the phone the exit task properly fires. However, when I just go out of range of the WiFi signal the exit task doesn't seem to fire. Any ideas team?

• Locked thread