Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012
I'm coming from iOS and am missing a feature regarding keyguard. I previously had my phone set to turn off display after 1 min of inactivity OR after I press the power button. Then, it would automatically enable the pin/pattern keyguard (rather than a simple swipe keyguard) after 5 minutes unless I opened it during that 'grace' period.

Is this an android settings that I have failed to find? Are there any apps that would allow this? Or would this be something I could solve with tasker?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

Anjow posted:

Is there a way I can use tasker to disable notification LED, or notifications entirely, for an application?

Basically I have a profile where when I'm on my office wifi, the phone is totally silent - however I'd love to be able to stop the light blinking for facebook messages since they come up on my computer anyway.

Maybe you could do this with Secure Settings tasker plugin? I don't have it in front of me, but this may be an option.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

calandryll posted:

I bought Tasker a few weeks ago and set it up so that when I'm plugged in for power or headphones or connected to my work or home wifi it doesn't ask for my pin. I probably set it up wrong but some times it really confuses itself, ie connected to my home wifi and doesn't remove the pin unlock because it's not plugged to power or headphone, etc.

I have 6 profiles currently setup, each set is basically the same. For instance, connected to home wifi turns off pin, I have an inverted profile that sets it when leaving said wifi. The other sets are similar for power and headphones.

What's the best way to make each one play nicely or even create an entirely new profile?

You can have an "exit" task that is executed once the profile is no longer running.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

I recently did a factory reset of my phone and so I am creating my Tasker stuff again. However for some reason I can't get any profiles to fire. They are turned on, Tasker is running and in the foreground. What else am I missing?

Is the tasker icon on the top left of the screen colored, or greyed out? Try holding down the icon for 2-3 seconds.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012
Could anyone help identify the issue in my regex usage?

The red in the if statements indicate that both if statements are false, but it seems that one should be true.

Thanks

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

maltesh posted:

If you're using regular expressions "*magic*" is not a valid pattern. The "*" in regex means 'Match 0 or more of the preceding expression, and "." is a wildcard for any character.

So in statement 5, if you want to keep using Regular Expressions you probably want to match on ".*magic.*" instead.

Or switch back to Tasker's Simple Matching, where "*magic*" will do what it looks like you want it to do.

Simple matching uses "matches" rather than "regex" matches? That still yields a false if statement with the pattern above, "*magic*". I also tried ".*magic.*" as you suggested, but it is still false. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

maltesh posted:

All-lowercase variables are local, and only exist while the task is being run. So when you're not running that task, %text has no value stored in it, and this the if statements show false.

and when you are running that task, it's not doing anything that will show you what value %text had while it's running, and %text gets cleared after execution.

All-caps variables are global and retain their values after task execution.

You are very correct :) Tasker noob mistake. Thanks for the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

hooah posted:

I get no cell signal in the building where I have classes, so I find myself turning on airplane mode and the enabling WiFi every day. I'm sure this is something Tasker can automate, but I haven't the slightest idea how to go about it. I think location would be a good enough trigger.

I have a profile and task set up for something similar. The task is trigered when Signal strength is zero. I use secure settings as well. See below.

• Locked thread