Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
For net location, the exact location of your home isn't as important as where net triangulation thinks your house is. Go into GMaps with GPS and WiFi off and see where network triangulation places you. Now go into Tasker and create a location context, WiFi off and untick GPS. Press Get Fix once. If it shows a different location than in Maps with 1000 meter accuracy, press again until it shows the same location as in Maps. Don't worry about placing the flag directly on your house and adjusting a radius 2x your accuracy. Leave the flag where net location places it with a smaller accuracy. Unless you have varying reception in different areas of your house throwing off triangulation, net location should stay the same.

I haven't found it anywhere in the documentation, but I've found pressing get fix once places my location at the actual single tower location on the roof of a nearby hotel with 1000m accuracy, and pressing it again places me within 2-3 blocks of my house with 2.9k accuracy.

If your net location bounces around a lot, and your home and work can't see the same towers, you could use a single tower to trigger the event. Less accurate, but it uses less battery than net location. Practically none. It works for my partner's phone, and her work is less than 1 mile away.

I also use this to shut off data when I'm at my mom's because the signal is so week. I guess I could also have it airplane and the turn on every 1/2 hour or so to look for texts and voicemail notifications.

There's also a signal strength condition, but the values run 0-8 and I have no idea what those mean. And the inverse checkbox? I should email the dev and ask him what's wrong with dBm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I think silent/vibrate is its own task and cant be over-ridden by changing the volume. Put a volume>silent mode>off action before the ringer volume value action. Also, ringer and notifications volume are separate unless you change it in Android sounds settings.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I have an SMS-triggered GPS locater profile. Is there any way for Tasker to interupt or intercept the ''findme" text trigger? In case of theft, I doesn't make sense for the thief to see my message in SMS Popup or the notification bar.

I tried to make Task Kill SMS Popup the first action, but it didn't keep it from displaying and turning on the screen. If SMS Popup pulls from the stock messaging app like Chomp or Handcent, preventing the stock app from showing/logging the received text should work. Unless Tasker pulls from the stock app rather than from somewhere deeper like the telephony stack.

• Locked thread