Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Tasker's been coming up a lot lately in the Android App thread and rather then make a new thread I figured I'd bump the old one since it really does deserve it's own thread.

I'm trying to create a profile that will automatically email and/or dropbox sync me my MMS messages. I know this is possible for SMS but I can't seem to get it working for MMS so any help would be appreciated. I think this is because the MMS needs to be downloaded first so I would need to figure out a way to automatically back it up after I've done that.

Also a few people were asking about profiles so I thought I'd share a list of all my working ones in case anyone has questions. They're all pretty basic ones that you can probably find on other sites but here they are:

SMS Backup - Backup all received SMS to SD Card and auto sync to dropbox
Text GF - On a weekday from 4PM-7PM and in a location on my route home text my GF letting her know I'm 10-15 minutes away
Night - Turn down brightness, silence ringer, send auto reply to any text that I'm sleeping
Missed call from favorite while Night profile is running - If a family member calls me while I'm sleeping it will send them a text saying if it is an emergency to text me back with "911". If they send me "911" that triggers my phone to blast a specific song which would hopefully wake me up
Block "Blocked" numbers - Any blocked number that calls me is automatically disconnected, you could also set this to auto-forward to voicemail I just hate blocked numbers
Lock Phone - If I've left my phone somewhere or it's been stolen and I text it "lock me" it will do a system lock, turn on GPS for tracking, record audio for however long I've specified and then sync that audio file to my dropbox (working on texting or emailing back GPS coords)
Google Voice unread text - When Google Voice sends me an SMS about a new voicemail it will automatically load up the app
Battery stuff - Say when fully charged, when it dips below 20% turn down the display and put on airplane mode
Sprint TV - This always asks me to disable WiFi when I open it so I have it automatically do this now when it is launched and WiFi set back on when exited
Latitude & Maps - When these are opened turn on GPS, when exited turn off GPS
Headset plugged in - Set Media Volume to 8 and load up a menu of different apps to open such as Youtube, Pandora, Music etc.

I also have profiles for when I'm home, at work and in the car but it's basic WiFi, GPS on/off and volume stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'd like more info on this one.

Sure thing. You'll need the Dropbox Sync for Tasker/Locale plugin in order to sync the audio file to your dropbox.

1) Make a new profile under the Event context, name it 'lock' or whatever.
2) Select Event Category: Phone>Received Text
3) Priority: Normal Type: SMS Sender: Leave this blank if you want to be able to send the trigger from any number, if not you can fill in a specific number for the request to come from Content: lock or whatever you want your trigger word to be and then tap Done
4) Task Selection>New Task>+ in the bottom left>Misc>GPS>Set 'On'>Done
5) + in the bottom left>Display>System Lock>Done (this goes off your phone's security settings so it'll only require a passcode/pattern to get back in if you've got that setup already otherwise it just turns off the display and you can get back in by just hitting the power button on your phone and unlocking).
6) + in the bottom left>Media>Record Audio>File: recording Source: Default (you may need to play around with this based on your phone, just try different options and test them out) MaxSize: 0>Done
7) + in the bottom left>Tasker>Wait>Set your recording time here>Done
(the file sizes are really nice and small so I'm at 5 minutes just because)
8) + in the bottom left>Media>Record Audio Stop>Done
9) + in the bottom left>Plugin>Dropbox Sync>Configuration: /sdcard/recording.3gp (you may need to click the edit button first if this is your first time using the Dropbox Sync plugin

Hope that all makes sense!

edit: I goofed up on step 3, changed priority to 'Normal' and sender to blank

Bobulus posted:

I need to work on a more detailed 'When home, turn on wifi' profile. I tried doing it by cell phone towers, but apparently my workplace isn't far enough from home for my phone to be able to tell the difference.

I had problems with my home and work profiles kicking in based on my location so I just created tasks of what I wanted done, called them 'Home' and 'Work' and made them into widgets. This takes out the automation but at least I know for sure the settings are on and it's only a tap of the widget to do everything I want done.

Bearnt! fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 7, 2011

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
For me Tasker has been pretty lovely handling locations. For my work profile I just changed from location to WiFi SSID instead so if that's an option for you it may be best going that route. You could also try creating a task and adding it as a widget then pressing it every time you want to run it (annoying I know). Perhaps a time/date like 9-5, M-F?

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Require More Fire posted:

Alright, I legit need help now. I need to set up two things:

1) How do I set a profile to only activate if another profile is NOT active? (i.e. Wifi only activates if Car is not active)

2) I want to set up a toggle of some sort to turn my Car task on/off manually. I tried setting it up with 'shake phone' and that will activate it, but not turn it off. I've already got a profile that will activate Car when it's in it's dock but sometimes if I'm not making a long trip I don't want the phone in the dock. I'd like to be able to basically turn it on and off quick and easy.

It's been awhile since I've messed with tasker. For #2 you can create your Car task and then just add it to one of your home screens like you would any other application. Long press=>Widget=>Task=>Car (or whatever your task is called). Pressing it will run the task. You might want to create a second task to turn it off/set everything back.

• Locked thread