Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joans
Sep 14, 2004
I'm thinking of using Tasker to control my wifi. My questions are, can Tasker do what I want it to? Is what I want to do a sensible thing?

I'm making the following assumptions here, if any of these are wrong, then I probably don't want to do this:
Wi-fi uses less battery than 3G (or whatever sort of data connection)
If I have wi-fi turned on when out of range of my wi-fi, it's still scanning for networks, which uses battery.

So, what I want to do then, is:
Turn off wi-fi when out of range of my network, and turn it back on when I'm in range (but if I want to use another wi-fi network when out of range, it won't keep turning my wi-fi back off).
When I'm not using any data, my wi-fi turns off, but if I do use any data (I've got background sync on), then it turns wi-fi on to download it (this may be impractical, and in terms of getting an email, it probably will have already downloaded before wi-fi can even be turned on).

Basically, turn wi-fi off when I'm not using it (or can't use it), but turn it back on when I need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joans
Sep 14, 2004

brc64 posted:

wi-fi stuff

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Joans
Sep 14, 2004
Ok, I have another "Can Tasker do this?" question.

I use my phone as a clock at night (using Kaloer Clock), and as I have a habit of regularly flashing new roms, I like to use Titanium Backup before I do anything too dangerous. I tried scheduling a backup to run overnight, but when it had finished it returned to the launcher, not the clock.

Is there a way for me to say something like "when quitting Titanium Backup, launch Kaloer Clock (except only at night, because I might just be using Titanium Backup for something else)", or even, "launch Titanium Backup at this time, run this batch backup, then launch Kaloer Clock"

I see there's a Run Last App setting, but I'm not sure how to use it.

Joans
Sep 14, 2004

brc64 posted:

I'm not sure how to go about launching the clock immediately after Titanium Backup finishes, but I would think you could just create a Time context to launch your Clock app at a specified time (after the backup begins). Heck, you could probably do it a minute after the backup begins, since I doubt Titanium Backup would steal focus if another app was launched over top of it.

Ah, I think I've tried to overcomplicate things.

I just gave it a test run, and didn't exactly get what I expected.
I set up a task to open Kaloer Clock 1 minute after the backup started. I then opened the clock anyway, to recreate the situation it would normally be in.
When the backup was scheduled to start, it showed a countdown screen, then went straight back to the clock (so nothing to do with the scheduled task), but then it quit about half way through the backup. 5 minutes later, Tasker kicked in and opened the clock again (I didn't set a To time, so presumably the task was always active?).

I've scheduled a backup for the middle of the night, and set a task for an hour around it, so I'll see what happens overnight.

Joans
Sep 14, 2004

brc64 posted:

This is what I do, which works pretty well:

Context: Location
Select "Net", Deselect "GPS", hit Get Fix. It will tell you the accuracy of the fix (1000 meters in my case). I set my Radius to 2km (if I remember right, you want your radius to be larger than the accuracy when using Net).

Task: Home
WiFi - Set: On (WiFi is found under category "Net" when selecting an action)

Next, I add an exit task (if you're looking at the profiles list, you should be able to press on your "Home" task and select "Add Exit Task")

Task: Leave Home
WiFi - Set: Off

I tried this out today, but whenever I get home and look at my phone, the wifi is off (this is good, because it obviously got turned off while I was out of range), but it doesn't seem to want to turn itself back on. How long does it normally take?
And can I test this without leaving the house as well? If I turn off my wifi, then presumably Tasker should see that I'm in range and turn it back on?

Joans
Sep 14, 2004

brc64 posted:

For me, wifi is on and connected when I get out of my car. What sort of range are you using for your location, and how accurate is the fix when you hit the "Get Fix" button?

Fix accuracy is 75 metres and I have the radius set to 200 metres.

Edit - If I zoom into the map, the flag is pretty close to my house and is easily covered by the circle.

Joans
Sep 14, 2004

Rye Bread posted:

I'm having the same exact issue. Fix was accurate to 51 meters and radius set to 1km.

I think I know what our problem is. Turn off the wi-fi, then press Get Fix, you'll find the accuracy is much less than 51m (and possibly less than 1km).

Joans
Sep 14, 2004

brc64 posted:

This is what I do, which works pretty well:

Context: Location
Select "Net", Deselect "GPS", hit Get Fix. It will tell you the accuracy of the fix (1000 meters in my case). I set my Radius to 2km (if I remember right, you want your radius to be larger than the accuracy when using Net).

Task: Home
WiFi - Set: On (WiFi is found under category "Net" when selecting an action)

Next, I add an exit task (if you're looking at the profiles list, you should be able to press on your "Home" task and select "Add Exit Task")

Task: Leave Home
WiFi - Set: Off

I also have a couple of other location contexts where I know there is wifi to join, and I just re-use the "Home" and "Leave Home" tasks for those.

Note: There is a third WiFi setting option, Toggle, which will turn wifi on if it's off and vice versa. I don't like this option as much, since I worry it could cause things to get a little confused. With my method, wifi always turns on when I'm home, and it always turns off when I leave. If I turned it on somewhere else and forgot to turn it off, it would simply stay on when I got home.

Finally, here is some additional information on location in Tasker:
http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/loctears.html

Right, I'm back and my wi-fi on/off task has been working very well, thank you, but I have a new question.

I've turned up at my parents house today, and I'll be here on and off over the next few weeks, so I'd like to set up another location context to cover their house. I cloned my existing task, and then set the new task to my current location, but I seem to have managed to change both tasks (both profiles are currently active, but I'm nowhere near my house, just my parents). Is there any way for me to move my "home" location on my other profile, it looks like all I can do is set it to my current location?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joans
Sep 14, 2004
I'm not even sure if this is a Tasker related query, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
I've recently discovered Dropbox, and I'd quite like to automatically backup my photos to my Dropbox account.

So far I've tried the following:

- Some software that I can't remember the name of that worked ok, but it synced all the images on my phone to my dropbox, not just my photos.
- Dropspace - This lets me choose multiple folders to sync with my Dropbox, seems to work ok, but I'm running Cyanogenmod on a Galaxy S and I can't seem to choose any folders on my external SD card (assuming I can even save any more photos there).
- I can run the camera through Dropbox, but that's a bit clumsy (and it didn't seem to work when I tried it).

There seems to be numerous other programs that claim to be a solution to this, but then I remembered Tasker, is there anyway I can get it to monitor my photo folder and copy new files to my dropbox folder? Even if it can't monitor the folder, can I just schedule a task to move all the files?

• Locked thread