Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

:bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
100% the first thing I thought of too

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Not going to buy one of those glue bottles then!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I buy a bottle of glue like this:

And refill it from a big gallon jug. Those gluebot things are awkward af ime and I have no idea why they exist. The regular glue bottles the glue comes in are the same siliconized or w/e plastic that glue flakes off really easily.

Feels like there's a whole doofy high-tech glue bottle industry that exists only because titebond insists on that stupid internal plug design, which guarantees the tip eventually ends up clogged with a wad of congealed glue, and then to get inside to clean it you've got to rip the tip off which permanently deforms it so it just keeps getting worse. otoh the main drawback to a normal diner-style squeeze bottle is that everyone wants to sell you like a box of 20 for $4 and you'll only need one for the rest of your life

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

otoh the main drawback to a normal diner-style squeeze bottle is that everyone wants to sell you like a box of 20 for $4 and you'll only need one for the rest of your life

One for Titebond I, one for Titebond III, one to assault the fool who asks where Titebond II is, one for neutral oil in your kitchen when stir frying, one for the yellow mustard you buy in a trough from Costco (I love you)…you’ll figure out where the others go in time.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I buy a bottle of glue like this:

And refill it from a big gallon jug. Those gluebot things are awkward af ime and I have no idea why they exist. The regular glue bottles the glue comes in are the same siliconized or w/e plastic that glue flakes off really easily.

Yeah, another glubot fail story here. Got clogged way too easily and just in general easier to use the titebond bottle for me. I actually prefer the titebond internal plug too, I've always been able to keep it clean and pull out the glue clots easily (glue thrombectomy so satisfying)

The one glue influencer thingy I really love is a silicone brush and tray set. That one gets used every project.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 23, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If I need more control over my glue placement, I have a scrap piece of wood that has like 50 dried puddles of glue on it. I pour out some glue onto it, then use a wire brush to apply it to the piece.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I need more control over my glue placement, I have a scrap piece of wood that has like 50 dried puddles of glue on it. I pour out some glue onto it, then use a wire brush to apply it to the piece.

Fair, it definitely works (or a torn off corner of a cereal box or cardboard) but you can get silicone sets for like $5. The tray is great since you just wait for it to dry and them flex it and the glue breaks right off. Also what sold me in titebond 3 vs 2, you can really tell the increased elasticity when doing that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I keep a diner squeeze bottle of water around too. It was initially for sharpening but I've found it amazingly useful for tons of stuff, such as cleaning glue squeeze.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You: glue bottles, dispensers, bots, brushes

Me and my hands:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sometimes I get glue on my fingers just to peel it off, which I assume is some kind of psychosis

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sash! posted:

Sometimes I get glue on my fingers just to peel it off, which I assume is some kind of psychosis

Hell yeah. The grade school facial peel.

E: uhhh if you're using white glue.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know, I like my glue bot, its not some drastic difference but it does seem to put out a much more consistent line especially compared to a Titebond bottle that's under a 1/3 full, they're $10, and allow me to just buy the gallon jugs of Titebond and just refill easily. I've never had mine clog or ruin the glue inside even when I set it down and didn't realize till the next day I forgot to put the cap on a few times. The little silicon brushes and tray are nice too.

I've spent tons more on tools I use way less.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Buying by the gallon is definitely way to go, I just actively disliked the glubot so just refill the titebond bottle.

On the subject of glue, anyone messed around with Titebond hide glue? I do a lot with dowels so the increased open time plus not swelling the wood so it's smoother for everything to go together sounds kind of appealing.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Sash! posted:

get some on your finger nail, makes for good peeling later

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We bought a couple glu-bots when we were doing our floating floor.. the smaller tip made not getting glue on the surface of the floor a lot easier. Outside of that, I haven't had much use for it, I don't go through wood glue that quickly.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bob Mundon posted:

On the subject of glue, anyone messed around with Titebond hide glue? I do a lot with dowels so the increased open time plus not swelling the wood so it's smoother for everything to go together sounds kind of appealing.
I've used it before and it's fine but it has a fairly short shelf life like all liquid hide glues. Check the dates before you buy it. I'm also not sure what you mean about not swelling the wood-it is still water based. If you want long open time and no swelling, try epoxy.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've used it before and it's fine but it has a fairly short shelf life like all liquid hide glues. Check the dates before you buy it. I'm also not sure what you mean about not swelling the wood-it is still water based. If you want long open time and no swelling, try epoxy.

Have heard that (like epoxy) it doesn't swell the wood and is easier to close tight joinery. No?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The stuff you mix and melt in a pot isn't going to penetrate the wood sufficiently to meaningfully swell it and some people like it for fancy joinery because you can remelt it to nondestructively separate the joint, in much the same way a certain niche of fine woodworkers loves the idea you can always repair shellac by rubbing a little alcohol on it even though you may find yourself needing to do that kind of maintenance far more often. The liquid stuff Titebond sells in a bottle doesn't really have the same nominal advantages, but if you've lost a lot at the tracks you may enjoy using it as a kind of revenge

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 24, 2024

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Bob Mundon posted:

Have heard that (like epoxy) it doesn't swell the wood and is easier to close tight joinery. No?

It swells the wood, what makes it awesome for joints is:
- it slides like a mothefucker
- it shrinks less than pva when it dries

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Liquid hide glue is just regular old hide glue with some additive (urea typically, or salt) to lower the gel point so it's liquid at lower temperatures, say 40ish C instead of 60C, at the cost of some final strength and shelf life. Titebond uses some weird poo poo instead to make it liquid at room temp (apparently) which may or may not affect reversibility, transparency to finishes, or strength. There's a PDF floating around somewhere on W. Patrick Edwards site I think with the nitty gritty if you're interested in mixing up your liquid hide glue. Or just buy Old Brown Glue, which is just hide glue with some urea mixed in for you.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 24, 2024

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
If I want to make a bunch of custom shelves and have no major woodworking equipment is it sane to get a track saw to cut them to size?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

TwoDice posted:

If I want to make a bunch of custom shelves and have no major woodworking equipment is it sane to get a track saw to cut them to size?

Tracksaws. loving. Rule.

Yes, for rip applications, less so for cross cuts (sliding miter saw is king here)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

less so for cross cuts (sliding miter saw is king here)

Get an extra track (can be a cheaper one) and cut it to 36ish inches, buy the banggood clone of the woodpeckers track protractor,???, profit.

Also, get the bangood clone of the festool track clamps, they are the tits.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

Get an extra track (can be a cheaper one) and cut it to 36ish inches, buy the banggood clone of the woodpeckers track protractor,???, profit.

Also, get the bangood clone of the festool track clamps, they are the tits.

This guy? Took me awhile to find it, banggood has a few dozen protractors for sale.

https://m.banggood.com/Professional...position_type=2

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

This guy? Took me awhile to find it, banggood has a few dozen protractors for sale.

https://m.banggood.com/Professional...position_type=2

This dude: https://www.banggood.com/Aluminum-A...-p-1913402.html (It's festool/powertec/makita compatible at least, not sure the other brands)

Clamps: https://www.banggood.com/ENJOYWOOD-...-p-1894619.html

(I am assuming you already have a nice long square you can use to do 90 degree cuts)

deimos fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 25, 2024

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Another 35% off sale + Free shipping with code MARCHFREESHIP from Direct Tools Factory Outlet. Ends today... at midnight ET?

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/search?query=

As usual, sanity check tool prices on https://darn.tools/

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

BeAuMaN posted:

Another 35% off sale + Free shipping with code MARCHFREESHIP from Direct Tools Factory Outlet. Ends today... at midnight ET?

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/search?query=

As usual, sanity check tool prices on https://darn.tools/

Well, guess I now own a Ryobi track saw.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

TwoDice posted:

Well, guess I now own a Ryobi track saw.

Which one specifically?

Also I've been telling my wife yes, we definitely need a bigger miter saw to do the next project, so this may be the moment to strike.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

TheDK posted:

Which one specifically?

Also I've been telling my wife yes, we definitely need a bigger miter saw to do the next project, so this may be the moment to strike.

They only have one atm (HP+ Brushless of course); two separate listings:
Tool Only for $208
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PTS01B
Historical DTO lowest price: $129.99: https://darn.tools/products.html?modelNumber=PTS01B

Tool w/ 4AH HP+ Battery + charger for $253.50
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PTS01K
Historical DTO lowest price: $139.99 https://darn.tools/products.html?modelNumber=PTS01K

$45 (the difference between the two) isn't bad for a 4AH HP+ battery.

Sale ends in less than 45 mins though.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I'm gonna be fully disassembling and cleaning an old drill press, and I want to check the runout afterwards to make sure I didn't mess it up too bad. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced dial indicator (w/ or w/o a magnetic base, preferably imperial)? Should I roll the dice with one of the counterfeit Mitutoyo's on amazon, or is there an actual low-end name brand I should go for?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

For a drill press you're not looking for anything extremely high accuracy, just decent with good repeatability, I'd use a cheaper brand like iGaging (from a reputable vendor so you don't get fake iGaging stuff).

Try taytools.com, pricing is not bad.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
should I get a used Shopsmith? A popular woodworking channel recommended buying a used MkV Shopsmith

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I ask myself this constantly, as they come up a lot used in my area, and the answer always comes down to if it really saves space. My table saw, band saw, and shapers actually take up less space than the shopsmith and I don't have to change the config on the shopsmith to switch tools. Now, if one with all the attachments I need fell in my lap, say for like $600 or less, I might jump on it for just the drat novelty. They're not cheap feeling tools, they're p nice.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
To me it comes down to how patient you are. I know for certain I'm too lazy/impatient to deal with switching it between configurations as the need arises. If you have spare time and are not in a rush to get projects done they seem pretty nice from what I've seen and heard of them

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

deimos posted:

For a drill press you're not looking for anything extremely high accuracy, just decent with good repeatability, I'd use a cheaper brand like iGaging (from a reputable vendor so you don't get fake iGaging stuff).

Try taytools.com, pricing is not bad.

Thanks!

bred
Oct 24, 2008

trilobite terror posted:

should I get a used Shopsmith? A popular woodworking channel recommended buying a used MkV Shopsmith

I saw one on craigslist for 650 with a bandsaw and got it on impulse. It didn't need much clean up and functions well enough. It was used as a lathe mostly so it came with turning tools. I have had it set up for bandsaw and disc sanding for years now, I haven't really needed the other features enough to change it. The remaining 3 feet of frame and table sections are just supporting a pile of crap.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

trilobite terror posted:

Yes absolutely you should

I just saw one the other day and i was transfixed. so many attachments!

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
What size brad nails do you guys typically use? Not sure what sizes would apply for different thicknesses of wood, or is it basically just use the same length you would with a screw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just found the stubby impact I bought off dto at the same time as the double rotary tool fiasco. I completely forgot I bought it. So many chargers and batteries now.