Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Costco has some Greenworks stuff on sale. I picked up a string trimmer and a leaf blower for $199 each.

The string trimmer comes with a shoulder strap and like 15 pre-cut string refills, which is super nice. Replaced my Dewalt that chewed through line like crazy.

The leaf blower is 800 CFM / 200 mph and also replaced a Dewalt that was like 400 CFM / 90 mph. I can’t believe how loving loud this one is. If you go full throttle, you definitely need ear pro. And it even has a turbo button. It comes with a battery, charger, couple different tips and also a shoulder strap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Anyone have a recommendation for a decent bolt/nut size/thread checker?

I see ones that look like slightly fancier version of what you see in the fasteners aisle at Ace, but some are in the range of $40-60. Seems a tad overpriced, no? This is "only" $35:
https://www.amazon.com/Comfylichi-Thread-Checker-Nut-Bolt/dp/B0CS6BYSCN

I then see the other end of the spectrum with ads on IG and such for $10 ones from places like Temu and Aliexpress, but can I trust their sizes are accurate?*

Then there's this one I saw that's not too pricey, and seems to have the advantage that the pieces aren't attached to anything, so I can easily take the size-checker to the bolt/nut in question to check what size it is.
https://www.amazon.com/Giwaelro-Nut-Bolt-Thread-Checker/dp/B0CH3KVS9X/

Seems a little handy? Like, let's say there's something missing a bolt (I don't know what, let's say a mounting bolt for something on my lawnmower) but the other bolt is still in place. I could, in theory, use these to easily get the size and not have to guess/remove the "good" one to find out. I know there's also similar ones where all the size-checkers are attached on wires, but this seems little easier not being attached, though certainly easier to lose a single piece of the set.

I guess I could also just go to the hardware store and buy 1x of the most common metric and US sizes for nuts and bolts, and I suppose if the average price of each piece is under $0.50, it would be cheaper, but is it worth my time? This set also clearly looks nicer than whatever weird box I'd throw them all in.

*Yeah, I know they almost certainly come from the same factory. And I'm actually not finding the super-cheap one that was advertised to me the other say, even Temu ones are like $30 now. Probably was some sort of "fake" price or the product was just one of those cheapo plastic size checkers that's just holes, but with the picture of the fancier one.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 1, 2024

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

As a best of both worlds I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FJW0GK

Keeps everything together, portable so I can use it on studs, but haven't found a situation where everything being tied together is a real problem for access. Slightly awkward, sure.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Saw this on r/woodworking so I had to check against Wen's own upload of the manual and sure enough:

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

DrBouvenstein posted:

Then there's this one I saw that's not too pricey, and seems to have the advantage that the pieces aren't attached to anything, so I can easily take the size-checker to the bolt/nut in question to check what size it is.
https://www.amazon.com/Giwaelro-Nut-Bolt-Thread-Checker/dp/B0CH3KVS9X/

If anyone was thinking about this one, it is also on ali for less than amazon. The colors are still backwards though. :mad:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNkqS30

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I bought this one last week and I haven't used them yet but they seem fine? Just tiny threaded aluminum guys

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CGLKJSM4

It's not visible from the pictures, but they all have holes drilled in them, so you could thread them on a string if you desired that instead at some point.

They're probably all the same like you said, so just get whichever set has the sizes you want.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Does anyone have a recommendation on ball end allen wrench sets? I was looking at Wera and Wiha but both have a whole bunch of sets, and I haven't had time to see how they differ

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Slanderer posted:

I bought this one last week and I haven't used them yet but they seem fine? Just tiny threaded aluminum guys

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CGLKJSM4

It's not visible from the pictures, but they all have holes drilled in them, so you could thread them on a string if you desired that instead at some point.

They're probably all the same like you said, so just get whichever set has the sizes you want.

Why do it yourself? I've been really happy with this one, and they have versions with 32 or 42 gauges. Haven't run across one that wasn't on here though.

CKE Nut & Bolt Thread Checker (Inch & Metric) - 26 Male/Female Gauges,Stainless Steel - 14 Inch & 12 Metric https://a.co/d/5e9NBYM

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Slanderer posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on ball end allen wrench sets? I was looking at Wera and Wiha but both have a whole bunch of sets, and I haven't had time to see how they differ

Bondhus. IMHO they're the gold standard. Very reasonably priced, too. I have sets of the GoldGuard, the short arm, the T-handles, and several more.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Bob Mundon posted:

Why do it yourself? I've been really happy with this one, and they have versions with 32 or 42 gauges. Haven't run across one that wasn't on here though.

CKE Nut & Bolt Thread Checker (Inch & Metric) - 26 Male/Female Gauges,Stainless Steel - 14 Inch & 12 Metric https://a.co/d/5e9NBYM

Because I'm a sucker for little tool and equipment cases, thats why!

sharkytm posted:

Bondhus. IMHO they're the gold standard. Very reasonably priced, too. I have sets of the GoldGuard, the short arm, the T-handles, and several more.

Thanks, I'll take a look

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Sounds like table saw safety features are going to be mandatory and SawStop will wave the 840 patent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxKkuDduYLk

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I thought he's alarmist about the "It will make cheap saws disappear!" part, because I fully expect any legislation to be watered down by some clause that exempts/grandfathers in a whole swath of products. And the argument that people should use proper technique and existing safety precautions... well yeah, but we have decades of proof that doesn't really work because people are idiots.

So... good. Get that poo poo on the books asap.

Related, I suppose:

https://i.imgur.com/07ykNNE.mp4

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

When the #1 joke about your occupation is the number of amputations, then yeah some additional regulations are probably in order.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Calidus posted:

Sounds like table saw safety features are going to be mandatory and SawStop will wave the 840 patent.

Why on earth would I want to listen to someone monologue at me for 15 minutes when I could read even a poorly edited article in like... 1 minute.

Truly I will never understand YouTube and its appeal to anybody for anything.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
For those who prefer articles: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/30/upshot/table-saws-safety-cost.html

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Calidus posted:

If they actually waive the patent then fine but we are talking about some extremely litigatious fucks and we've been down this road more than once. A vague assurance and some insulting quips from someone who has done everything possible to prevent competitors from making a competing product does not assure me. Saw stop has patents until 2033.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Didn't their most important patents already expire though?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thank you.

Paywall-free link:https://archive.is/mNNFG

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

HappyHippo posted:

Didn't their most important patents already expire though?

Yeah 840 (the one they are promising to give away) is already expired, so not sure what the hubbub is. They have a slew of other patents that last through 2033 though which is likely why bosch never came back.

The cartridge, for example, expires 2024.

Edit: their game is likely not in the US, but instead to force EU's hand, their EU patent expires in '37: https://patents.google.com/patent/EP3463772B1/en

The game is likely this patent: https://patents.google.com/patent/US11098849B2/en which expires in 2037. And is very clearly not the one the CEO promised to give away.

Feldman:

“I am hearing no licensing commitments, or otherwise with respect to anything beyond the ‘840 patents. You provided quite a lengthy list of other patents that are related to your technology and -“

SawStop:

“…I am excited about having those conversations. But these conversations … are complex, and they can’t be captured in a sound bite that’s convenient for this venue.”

Edit: also SawStop refused to license the tech to Grizzly.

deimos fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 4, 2024

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's not like Bosch is in the business of selling table saws *cheaper* than what Sawstop's offering and I don't think they'd be otherwise better saws so I'm unclear on why anyone not employed by Bosch would be asked to give a poo poo about that. I guess if sawstop goes mad with power and starts charging a million dollars per saw once their totally unassailable monopoly on the market is secured forever that'd be... bad? But it's many degrees removed from anything that's happened.

FISHMANPET posted:

Why on earth would I want to listen to someone monologue at me for 15 minutes when I could read even a poorly edited article in like... 1 minute.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 4, 2024

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

I listened to this on my 2nd monitor while I was playing Balatro, but I generally agree with the Christ, article a video sentiment.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 4, 2024

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

FISHMANPET posted:

I'd listen to it on a podcast if it was there, but instead I play YouTube and turn the screen off.

I used to like his videos but it's turned ever more into a shillfest and it's hard not to notice the middling channels like that one veer ever harder towards chase-the-views stuff. Couple that with the outbursts of crotchety-old-fartism and, nah.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

FISHMANPET posted:

Truly. But also, people really ought to consider if they need a table saw in the first place. From watching Youtube you'd think you need one just to get out of bed in the morning, let alone do any woodworking, but you really don't. There's many ways to do it that don't require a surface to fill with crap and take up most of the garage table saw, as heretical as that might sound to some people.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Table saws are definitely overused but they're also really handy and can do the work of many other tools to high precision. They haven't achieved the legendary status of radial arm saws yet but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a push away from them over time. Especially if new ones suddenly start costing $300 more for entry level. My only real problem with the breaks as a standard feature is that the sawstop guys have blatantly showed that they aren't acting in good faith in the past. It wouldn't even really impact me personally because I'll just keep using my ancient oliver.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

tracecomplete posted:

I'd listen to it on a podcast if it was there, but instead I play YouTube and turn the screen off.

I used to like his videos but it's turned ever more into a shillfest and it's hard not to notice the middling channels like that one veer ever harder towards chase-the-views stuff. Couple that with the outbursts of crotchety-old-fartism and, nah.

My sense from listening to Steve Ramsay talk about it is that build videos don't really work with the algorithm anymore, so you gotta do hot takes and sponsorships if you want to make any money.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

If you want to succeed as a YouTube woodworker, choose one of the following tasks:

1. 17 HOT NEW TOOLS I GOT FROM TEMU ARE THEY WORTH IT? <mr beast face, red arrow>
2. SIX OF MY PREVIOUS VIDEOS, SMASHED TOGETHER INTO ONE THREE HOUR VIDEO, BECAUSE THE ALGORITHM IS ALL ABOUT LONG-FORM CONTENT RIGHT NOW
3. gently caress it man, just sling sponsorships

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Sockser posted:

If you want to succeed as a YouTube woodworker, choose one of the following tasks:

1. 17 HOT NEW TOOLS I GOT FROM TEMU ARE THEY WORTH IT? <mr beast face, red arrow>
2. SIX OF MY PREVIOUS VIDEOS, SMASHED TOGETHER INTO ONE THREE HOUR VIDEO, BECAUSE THE ALGORITHM IS ALL ABOUT LONG-FORM CONTENT RIGHT NOW
3. gently caress it man, just sling sponsorships

4. I BOUGHT 30 CRATES OF RETURNED TOOLS, LET ME OPEN THEM AGONIZINGLY SLOWLY ON CAMERA AND NOT EVEN TEST IF THEY WORK OR ANYTHING THEN CLAIM I GOT 2x THE VALUE OF WHAT I PAID FOR THE CRATES

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Man wouldn't it be sweet if there was some bygone era where woodworking youtube and the hobby magazines before them were about all the ways to use a pile of dead sanding belts and/or how to run a real business and not, like, a festool circus and someone's cool trick where they take 700 hours to make a kind of coffee table it's normally impractical to manufacture

There's always been a huge disconnect between production woodworking , where a table saw means the capacity to bang through a thousand-plus extra bucks of work a week and a one-time $300 expense is nothing unless your existing plan is to just fire anyone who gets injured, and hobbyist woodworking, where office guys who make more adjusting spreadsheets than anyone who doesn't own a large factory will ever make in professional woodworking blow all their discretionary money on toys to produce the type and quantity of stuff they could honestly get done just fine with a hand saw and chisel, except they don't want to. From what I can tell the latter by and large are starting to reevaluate whether they really need a table saw and determining that no, what they really need is a 4x8 CNC router

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 4, 2024

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

There's always been a huge disconnect between production woodworking , where a table saw means the capacity to bang through a thousand-plus extra bucks of work a week and a one-time $300 expense is nothing unless your existing plan is to just fire anyone who gets injured, and hobbyist woodworking, where office guys who make more adjusting spreadsheets than anyone who doesn't own a large factory will ever make in professional woodworking blow all their discretionary money on toys to produce the type and quantity of stuff they could honestly get done just fine with a hand saw and chisel, except they don't want to.

That seems more like

than a disconnect though.

I mean, I'm a spreadsheettoucher by weekday and a woodtoucher (:wink:) by weekend and sure, I can do my nonsense with a handsaw and a chisel. I could also use my teeth. I'd just like to finish my idiot project in under six months.

(I have access to two SawStop cabinet saws through the local makerspace, which has ruined all other tools for me)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

totally, there's just nobody in this equation who legitimately needs to cut a couple hundred in safety equipment out of the budget, and everyone either needs or wants a table saw

little old coot youtube where they stick to like a $30/40 hour project budget and are whittling a chair with a pocket knife would be chill as hell but it never existed and apparently about six other people would watch it

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 4, 2024

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Danhenge posted:

My sense from listening to Steve Ramsay talk about it is that build videos don't really work with the algorithm anymore, so you gotta do hot takes and sponsorships if you want to make any money.

Sure, but one can also simply

not

be youtube

(Steve can stay though. We like Steve in this house. Will forgive him his bag-security.)

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

little old coot youtube where they stick to like a $30/40 hour project budget and are whittling a chair with a pocket knife would be chill as hell but it never existed and apparently about six other people would watch it
Eh... Maybe with little to no commentary it could be a thing. Doing good editing with no talking and a bit of fast motion works for vintage tool restoration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBeOgGt_oWU

If they're good enough people would be fascinated by what they end up whittling and the cutting noise would have an ASMR quality to it.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

This guy is really enjoyable though, and seems to do pretty OK for himself as a side-youtubist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoHXEprhgM4

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Speed painting and speed carving videos seemed to be popular for a while but the algorithm giveth and taketh and is especially capricious. The only thing that seems consistent is that it constantly gets worse. Like when you train a gpt on other gpt outputs or xerox a xerox to many times.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Just Winging It posted:

Truly. But also, people really ought to consider if they need a table saw in the first place. From watching Youtube you'd think you need one just to get out of bed in the morning, let alone do any woodworking, but you really don't. There's many ways to do it that don't require a surface to fill with crap and take up most of the garage table saw, as heretical as that might sound to some people.

That's kinda where I landed when I was table saw shopping. The small jobsite ones would have annoyed me and not been much more useful than the alternatives that I already had and I couldn't justify the space or cost for a proper big saw if I'm just doing house projects.

This talk of patents and such reminds me of the Home Depot lawsuit with the radial arm saw safety device. They lowballed the inventor with a figure that didn't even cover his costs, and then paid to have another vendor copy the patented design off of measurements and photographs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_v._Home_Depot_USA,_Inc.

Home Depot was spending over $1M/yr just to cover injury claims from those saws and was considering removing them. The saw guard that stopped it from eating fingers made the saws profitable again.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Man wouldn't it be sweet if there was some bygone era where woodworking youtube and the hobby magazines before them were about all the ways to use a pile of dead sanding belts and/or how to run a real business and not, like, a festool circus and someone's cool trick where they take 700 hours to make a kind of coffee table it's normally impractical to manufacture

There's always been a huge disconnect between production woodworking , where a table saw means the capacity to bang through a thousand-plus extra bucks of work a week and a one-time $300 expense is nothing unless your existing plan is to just fire anyone who gets injured, and hobbyist woodworking, where office guys who make more adjusting spreadsheets than anyone who doesn't own a large factory will ever make in professional woodworking blow all their discretionary money on toys to produce the type and quantity of stuff they could honestly get done just fine with a hand saw and chisel, except they don't want to. From what I can tell the latter by and large are starting to reevaluate whether they really need a table saw and determining that no, what they really need is a 4x8 CNC router

Sensible thinking. Flattening big stock is just impossible without a 4x8 CNC router. Or any stock really. Who needs a jointer and thicknesser when you can use a CNC?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I like my Delta tablesaw but I gotta admit that I'm thinking about ditching it to get the space back for a longer/larger workspace on which our lord and savior the tracksaw can do more embiggened cuts. Getting a router that also rides on a tracksaw rail has been a huge thing, too, to replace dadoes.

I do not want a 4x8 CNC though. I'll be very happy with a 2x2 that I can fold up and get out of the way later, because who wants to gently caress with MDF by hand

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

tracecomplete posted:

I like my Delta tablesaw but I gotta admit that I'm thinking about ditching it to get the space back for a longer/larger workspace on which our lord and savior the tracksaw can do more embiggened cuts. Getting a router that also rides on a tracksaw rail has been a huge thing, too, to replace dadoes.

I do not want a 4x8 CNC though. I'll be very happy with a 2x2 that I can fold up and get out of the way later, because who wants to gently caress with MDF by hand

I might be moving homes and need to decide if i should do another table saw based shop or not.

What kind of router/track/saw did you get and any major pros/ cons you like for it? Mostly having a harder time thinking about reliable rip cuts on sheet goods and cutting dadoes without a table saw

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I have a Makita cordless tracksaw. It cuts stuff. I would get the Makita corded tracksaw if I could have a do-over, because my tracksaw never leaves its vacuum buddy. I generally cut the cords off my corded power tools and attach twist-locks instead, so my vac hose has a permanent extension cable on it to plug into whatever tool I'm using (and I have an adapter I made for my Domino).

Tracks are tracks, in my experience. I have a 55" Makita track because it was the only more-than-4-usable-feet track I could find but I also have a couple Wen tracks that join together for a longer run. I also have one short Festool track that came with my MFT. Aside from length, I genuinely do not perceive a difference.

aside: I really think the MFT top helps a lot with a tracksaw-first workflow. It makes a lot of cuts a lot easier. But really just the top, because the table itself kind of sucks unless you pay even more for cross-braces and even then it's really meant more for portable use. The rails on the side of the table can be handy but I am less sold on the flip-down track for crosscutting; it isn't bad but I think rail squares have gotten so much cheaper that they're a better option. But when I build my next bench, I'm absolutely going to buy or have CNC'd a couple of MFT tops that I'm going to use as the top of torsion boxes because they're really really useful.

I have a few routers for different things. The Skil is mostly for regretting, because its base layout kinda sucks for a router table and the DW618 I got later (and designed/3D printed a router track adapter for) is more comfortable to use for long runs. The metric standard Bosch everybody buys also seems totally fine.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
lmao the coward disabled comments:

https://i.imgur.com/YMx79wP.mp4

quote:

timothyclarkfurniture
When your drill press is not tall enough for your stock. I do enough benches with a long center stretcher so I leave a chain fall hanging above this drill press and it makes easy work of lifting it high enough to make this job easy. Yes you could use a lathe but i already have this jig set up on the drill press and my lathe is not long enough