Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Yeah. I don't really get the obsession with trying to replace every single tool with an electric thing.

Speaking personally, I don't want to have to maintain combustion engines. It's not some impossible task, but it is one more chore that I'll happily duck out of if it's feasible. Of course electric isn't viable for every task, but it's viable for an awful lot of them for most people. Someone like you, who it sounds like owns a lot of land that needs to be kept up, is going to hit their limits. Same with people who need their tools to operate all day: it's easier and cheaper to lug a jerry can of gas around with you than it is to bring a bunch of backup batteries and/or a generator to keep them topped off.

As for the environmental consequences, the nice thing about batteries is that their pollution is limited to their manufacture and their disposal. Both of these are reasonably straightforward to contain and manage (which is, to be clear, not at all the same thing as "they are being contained and managed"). It's a lot harder to contain the pollution from using a tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Stihl MS 251, 18" bar, 45.6cc displacement.
That should be good enough or close to what you want. Thats about the point where there are no comparable electric saws, you're looking at the difference between spending all day cutting up a tree or finishing before lunch. Have you looked at any power equipment dealers? I talked them into throwing in a bunch of two stroke oil and an extra chain when I bought mine and they sell a wider range of and better saws compared to the home improvement/farm supply stores.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Yeah two-strokes suck butt to deal with, not much of a mystery there why people would jump at any opportunity to replace one with some poo poo that may or may not actually work

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Yeah. I don't really get the obsession with trying to replace every single tool with an electric thing. Electric is great and cordless drills/impact drivers are possibly my favorite domestic technology, but electric snowblowers are dubious.

Electric chainsaws are great until you want to apply them to a problem that's 18"-24" thick and wants 20 cuts. I have not tried to use a corded electric in the current generation of things but my impression is that once you get into 45-60cc+ displacement engines, gas is still the only game in town.

We have a large gas mower (self propelled walk behind floating deck 3-blade) and an electric mower. I use the electric mower 95% of the time, it's quieter, it doesn't make me smell like gas, it's light. Also, there's 5% of critical tasks it simply can't do, part of which is doing a basic reset on a couple pastures every year. I don't mow them, generally, but if I want them to stay pastures and I don't currently have goats or horses then I gotta cut through all that poo poo once every year or two.

I like electric because it's quieter and generally cleaner for me the user. Also, in my local grid, the stuff I charge it with is pretty clean. The lithium batteries themselves are part of our ongoing mass extinction event, they are not part of the solution to it :shrug:

e: also I loving hate mowing and we mow maybe 5% of our property, but it's nice for the kids to have some places to play that aren't instant tick death traps; half our ticks have lyme and if you don't find them very quickly it's basically automatic antibiotics now; tremendous sad.

Just get an electric 3-phase like this! Easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft6EWBQs4f8

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
The 20” Dewalt FlexVolt chainsaw is a beast I used to fell a few 10” furr trees and break down a mostly dead 30” maple that a storm that a knocked over.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Don’t mind me just toting around an 80lb 5hp AC motor with $400 and 50lb of SO cord instead of a 10lb 2 stroke engine.

The power/weight ratio in 2 stroke engines is just off the charts, sadly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Yeah two-strokes suck butt to deal with, not much of a mystery there why people would jump at any opportunity to replace one with some poo poo that may or may not actually work

This.

I only need light duty stuff for my property/ lawncare and i have the mechanical know how to keep the gas tools operating just fine. I don’t regret going over to full electric for a second. That said my use case is very modest and theres still stuff where gas is just better.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Calidus posted:

The 20” Dewalt FlexVolt chainsaw is a beast I used to fell a few 10” furr trees and break down a mostly dead 30” maple that a storm that a knocked over.

I have the same chainsaw and it is indeed awesome.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Chainsaws are probably the place where you get the most benefit of 54v/60v vs 18v/20v systems.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Like I said, for my use case battery works well and it's significantly better knowing I can grab the tool and go without having to either neglect the motor and suffer the consequences or have to deal with setting it up for long term storage every time because I don't know when I will use it next. The new commercial/farm chainsaws can do a lot of cutting and if it's just one person two batteries are probably enough, but I can understand someone needing more capacity in one go and needing two stroke.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
The 80V Greenworks trimmer feels like a proper two stroke for power, the problem is it still takes several battery charges to trim what you can see from the road for me. I feel like a landscaping company would need a few thousand dollars in batteries to get through a day.

For a saw if you live in the woods or go through a lot of firewood you need a 20" 50cc+ saw or a lot of time and thousands of dollars worth of batteries. I've had plenty of times where my Stihl 391 felt too light duty and most of my land is field.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Calidus posted:

It might be my favorite tool to use but last summer I bought the 18v pruner and it's giving the chainsaw a run for its money.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Well after a lot of reading i decided I’m not in love with the stihl toolless adjustment on saws this big and also at this price point I’m close enough to pro grade saws that it would absolutely be worth going to a famers expo to shop for a deal or a used saw. I know a guy who has a $1200 msrp not lastest model Husq he got open box for like 750. I don’t need a saw that big but he did.

So that all seems complicated and in the mean time i used my electric saw to do the bare minimum lovely job that clears the trails off without worrying about getting firewood out of it.

I may well post the same sequence of posts next year at this time.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Well after a lot of reading i decided I’m not in love with the stihl toolless adjustment on saws this big and also at this price point I’m close enough to pro grade saws that it would absolutely be worth going to a famers expo to shop for a deal or a used saw. I know a guy who has a $1200 msrp not lastest model Husq he got open box for like 750. I don’t need a saw that big but he did.

So that all seems complicated and in the mean time i used my electric saw to do the bare minimum lovely job that clears the trails off without worrying about getting firewood out of it.

I may well post the same sequence of posts next year at this time.
Do you actually get any deals at farmers expos? Like I'll hit the World Ag Expo in Tulare, California most years and while it's great for testing/seeing the new equipment I've rarely ever gotten a deal on anything there. I know for a fact the local welding supply shop raises their prices and marks them back down before setting up there to make their sale price look better.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I'm sure a lot of people here already know how misleading compressor cfm ratings are and why but I just learned it and I'm kind of surprised.

So I was considering getting a higher power compressor with a smaller tank. On the theory that it could just run continuously to power a high cfm tool. Want to run a 4cfm tool indefinitely? Should be able to get a compressor rated for 5 or 6 cfm and go. Which led me to researching CFM ratings. And it turns out that the tool CFM requirements and the compressor output capabilities use different measurements for CFM. Meaning that a consumer grade compressor rated for 4 cfm at 90 psi will never continuously run a tool that requires 4 cfm at 90 psi.

Air tools list the actual CFM of air that the tool requires at a given psi. Fine so far.

Compressor manufacturers list the amount of atmospheric pressure air the compressor takes in to output at a compressed psi. That's intake. Not output. So a 4 cfm @ 90psi rated compressor cannot output 4 cubic feet of 90 psi air in one minute. What this rating actually means is when that compressor is producing the most 90 psi air it can, it is taking in 4 cubic feet of uncompressed air. 4 cubic feet at 14.7 psi becomes 0.67 cubic feet at 90 psi.

Your nominally 4cfm @ 90psi compressor is capable of continuously running an air tool that requires up to 0.67cfm @ 90psi.

So if you want to actually run a tool for any amount of time you need a tank that holds enough to run it for 10 or 30 seconds or whatever. E.g. 30 gallons is 4 cubic feet. If your compressor can fill your 30 gallon/4cf tank at 150 psi, then that becomes 6.67 cubic feet at 90 psi. Which would be about a minute 40 seconds of operating your 4cfm tool.

And, supposedly, commercial compressors are rated for the actual pressurized output like you would naively expect. So you could buy one of those if you have the money, power, and space for it and can take the operating noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfjSm_ieRkE

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 20, 2024

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How much more awesome is an airless framing nailer than an air one. There's a $200 or so difference in cost between getting a basic one and using my pancake vs the Ryobi airless.

I have a few small framing things that need to be done over the summer then it'll sit probably.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

tater_salad posted:

How much more awesome is an airless framing nailer than an air one. There's a $200 or so difference in cost between getting a basic one and using my pancake vs the Ryobi airless.

I have a few small framing things that need to be done over the summer then it'll sit probably.

I don't love my framing nailer and would say it's probably not worth it. Finish nailer on the other hand is absolutely worth it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I got a big framing nailer once, and realized that using a tool that shoots 1/8"-thick, 3.5"-long steel spikes is scary. I ended up only using it for jobs like plywood, that used smaller nails, and stuck to a regular hammer for the actual framing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Four words: Cartridge. Actuated. Nail Gun.

:blastu:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A timeless classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMkVd7IgJh0

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

I own a cartridge actuated single shot nail gun.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Literally A Person posted:

"If only there was a way to hammer my nails into concrete! Maybe if I use a blank and just shoot the sucker in..."

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
When I was a kid we went to a newly constructed lookout tower in a national park and found strips of used blanks all over the ground. I presume for the nail guns they used to build the tower. I had no idea what they were but thought they were the coolest thing and collected dozens of them. Sadly, I never did find a use for them but just from they look of them they seem like they'd be a blast to use.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Squibbles posted:

When I was a kid we went to a newly constructed lookout tower in a national park and found strips of used blanks all over the ground. I presume for the nail guns they used to build the tower. I had no idea what they were but thought they were the coolest thing and collected dozens of them. Sadly, I never did find a use for them but just from they look of them they seem like they'd be a blast to use.

Watch this madman use them to crush nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1RaC7YJ7sk

He's got more videos where he uses them in a baseball bat application too.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

TacoHavoc posted:

Watch this madman use them to crush nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1RaC7YJ7sk

He's got more videos where he uses them in a baseball bat application too.

Yeah I like his videos a lot. Sadly the ones I found were already expended so they really did have no use. Unless I wanted to melt them down for brass or something

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So in summary just go with air then?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

tater_salad posted:

lol yes.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I just poke a nail down the end of my .22 like a rifle grenade

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

tater_salad posted:

I bought a HF air framing nailer because they were so cheap I might as well. Bought a Milwaukee M18 nailer to do my dock. The M18 fired 1000 nails without missing a beat. Harder on my hands than the air nailer, louder when firing but compressors are generally loud too. Definitely worth it for me imo. Just so much easier to pick it up throw a few clips of nails in my bucket and go do whatever. No lugging a pancake or wrangling cords.

I prob won’t ever use my air framing nailer again.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

tater_salad posted:

Hell no. I got the rigid airless 21 degree framing nailer, and it was a game changer. Well worth the extra money. I've used it to put up a ton of fencing and build a chicken coop, and it's awesome not having to lug a compressor around the yard.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
My impression purely from watching YouTubers is that if you're holding it above your head a lot the reduced weight from air is worth it. Otherwise if you're just doing on the ground stuff airless can be ok. Especially if you don't have a compressor.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The benefit of my battery brad nailer is I can pull it out and drive a couple brads and put it away, vs having to haul out the compressor and the hose and put it away. I'm not sure how often I'd have the need to drive a couple of framing nails in. Then again maybe it's a thing where you don't realize how useful it is until you have the capability.

This is all coming from the guy who can't figure out how to get his compressor attachments to not all leak air (should I be putting Teflon tape on the threads?)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

FISHMANPET posted:

(should I be putting Teflon tape on the threads?)
100% yes. Metal on metal is not really airtight.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Looking for an upgrade to a box cutter for breaking down cardboard boxes. I have a couple Milwaukee Fastback folding box cutters and understand the importance of fresh blades/how tough cardboard can be on blades etc. They work great! This would be an opulent unnecessary upgrade just to take care of bulk Amazon and large boxes that crap like knockdown furniture and large items like shop tools and pool filter equipment comes in. Not that I buy pool filters a lot, those are just examples of the cardboard that builds up because it has to be broken down to fit in my 96gal recycling bin or whatever. There always seems to be something big we’re buying. Looking to make big sessions less painful and annoying.

I’ve seen rotary cutters (ryobi/worx) but a little skeptical for heavier duty packaging and a little concerned they stop making what are probably extremely expensive blades for it after a couple years etc. Also at least one YouTube video shows that the blade can be bent , looks like a sort of octagonal rotary knife. Cost isn’t that big an issue but this could be over the top.

Seen mini cutoff/ circular saws, like 3”’diameter ones, idk what the blade economy is like or if they would, by their nature, blow a shitload of kerf dust everywhere.

Seen people recommend the one hand hackzall type reciprocating saws, which seems like maybe the sweet spot? Blades are comparatively expensive but again I’m not a cardboard processing company and I can see them making standard blades for a while, or if the attachment lug is the same I can just cut down long blades I guess. Looks like $2/blade when bought non-bulk, and sort of assuming the “power tool” aspect can make up for some dull blade use til I start making smoke and/or fire, as opposed to “3 boxes in the box cutter blade is really struggling.”

I haven’t seen (but I’m sure they make for specialty cutting like carpet or sheet metal or sewer membrane or some weird industry) something like powered shears, which seems like a possibility. Definitely seen powered pruning shears but the blade configuration seems to be the circle-in-crescent lopper type.

Ideally something Milwaukee makes since that’s my battery ecosystem. Lastly it doesn’t need to necessarily do a lot of “cuts per battery,” I have a rack of M12 and M18 chargers full of batteries ready to grab. Like it doesn’t need to be efficient which looks like a lot of reviews and focus on.

I do have the Texas-lbs M18 Fuel Max Pro Red Anniversary Edition Sawzall, maybe I’ll experiment just to see if the cutting works well and then it’s just a matter of going mini, but figured I’d check the hive mind. Same with having a normal circular saw, I could check with my normal sized one, but have to believe someone has tried and there’s a reason they’re not recommended.

Yes, a good sharp-bladed box cutter is probably best, but what would you use if you wanted to apply steam/coal/gasoline/coulombs to make it less of a chore to break down a lot at once? No fire, no table saw, etc.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
$5 jigsaw from the resale store?

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

uwaeve posted:

Looking for an upgrade to a box cutter for breaking down cardboard boxes. […]

I’ve seen rotary cutters (ryobi/worx) but a little skeptical for heavier duty packaging and a little concerned they stop making what are probably extremely expensive blades for it after a couple years etc. Also at least one YouTube video shows that the blade can be bent , looks like a sort of octagonal rotary knife. Cost isn’t that big an issue but this could be over the top.

I’m on team “those stupid rotary cutters” because the Ryobi one was on sale once. The blades are hilariously expensive for what they are, and ryobi’s 4v one can get through most Amazon box-style boxes, but things that come in heavier-duty boxes are gonna bog it down. Still hasn’t broken once, but the blade needed a replacement.

This is a case where the more expensive versions don’t actually work as well; also have the 12v Makita version of this kinda tool. And, while it works great when it works, has broken & required being sent it in to Makita to be fixed four times (more than literally any other makita tools, which is straight up zero for all others). It has this irritating design where in certain situations, the blade hops over and embeds itself firmly into under-blade portion and you need to loving disassemble the tool in order to remove the blade (beyond the minor steps required to change the blade). In fact, I’ve never changed a blade on one of these because they’ve all broken exactly the same way. Makita finally sent me a whole new tool - it seems to be working a lot better than the one I bought did, but even after babying it, it too did the same thing awhile back.

I don’t really know where to go with all of this. Just use a box cutter and don’t be a moron like me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

honestly.. I've hosed around with lots of things to cut boxes.. know what cuts boxes really really good easily.. Box cutters. Maybe try a carpet hook?

My second best recommended tool would probably be an oscillating tool with a wood blade?

Trying to cut trough floppy cardboard with any kind of "based" cutter like a jigsaw or circ saw kind of sucks because you can't really rest that plate on stuff.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tater_salad posted:

honestly.. I've hosed around with lots of things to cut boxes.. know what cuts boxes really really good easily.. Box cutters. Maybe try a carpet hook?

My second best recommended tool would probably be an oscillating tool with a wood blade?

Trying to cut trough floppy cardboard with any kind of "based" cutter like a jigsaw or circ saw kind of sucks because you can't really rest that plate on stuff.

My progression through this same problem of breaking down an absurd amount of appliance and moving boxes was box cutter to oscillating tool with wood blade and then back to box cutter.

The boxcutter is an elegant tool, for a more civilized age.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Boxcutters are called box cutters for a reason. They're efficient, easy, and simple. Keep a sharp blade and you're all set.

The thought of using an oscillating tool to cut boxes seems like overkill and would take longer than just using a knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Verman posted:

Boxcutters are called box cutters for a reason. They're efficient, easy, and simple. Keep a sharp blade and you're all set.

The thought of using an oscillating tool to cut boxes seems like overkill and would take longer than just using a knife.

look I never said it was better just that it was the tool that would likely be the least worse.. I mean for fun when I've had my recip saw out doing other things I've ripped some boxes apart with it, but boxcutter still works the best. 25 bucks gets you a 6 pack of lowes flip out box cutters and a pack of 50-100 blades. It's the right choice.