Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm tempted by knock-off third party Makita LXT batteries and accessories like chargers, but don't really know what risks may be involved. I got a third party battery for a Dyson vacuum cleaner and it's fine, I'm not expecting the advertised levels of performance from the Makita things and am not intending to use them professionally. Is this something I should steer clear of, or is the risk just that they might be a bit poo poo?

Examples:
- Charger: https://amzn.eu/d/7UrsfaK
- Batteries: https://amzn.eu/d/eYJWI9d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I want a router. But which?
  • I don't want to spend more than £150
  • Needs to be available within the UK
  • I'm not bothered about it being cordless, though I have Makita batteries - I looked at the routers that use them but they start at like £160 anyway
  • I intend to use it on a sled for flattening stuff, and separately for rounding edges
  • I really want one with some sort of dust collection attachment, I have an extractor
I've never owned one before so don't know what I'd be looking for. Are these requirements reasonable?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mustache Ride posted:

Yeah they're reasonable. I think you can get this and this and be close to 150 funny money before VAT if you watch for holiday sales

That looks good, but do I need to care about the power output of the thing compared to a mains powered one? Will I compromise on how fast I can do stuff? I ask because the cordless drills I have are poo poo at making holes in masonry compared to an ancient mains powered hammer drill I have.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That's good to know regarding the collet size. For dust collection, is it something people bother with, or is it pissing in the wind?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is there some secret to dust extraction that I've missed? I got an extractor with a 100mm hose and a few adapters that came with it. I've got three static things needing extraction:

- Belt/disc sander (63mm OD port)
- Bandsaw (53mm OD port)
- Table saw (don't know, didn't measure, it just happened to fit an included adapter)

I got an Axminster adapter that I managed to cut to fit the 63mm sander port, but I've not been able to find anything to fit the 53mm bandsaw port. All my googling seems to turn up loads of adapters, none of which fit 53mm.

Is there some sort of flexible material that is commonly used? I got hold of a 100-115mm adjustable rubber cuff (I think it's used for guttering) that I can use to link stuff but again I've not found them in sizes anywhere near what I want. What do folks normally do?

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 2, 2024

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Is there some secret to dust extraction that I've missed? I got an extractor with a 100mm hose and a few adapters that came with it. I've got three static things needing extraction:

- Belt/disc sander (63mm OD port)
- Bandsaw (53mm OD port)
- Table saw (don't know, didn't measure, it just happened to fit an included adapter)

I got an Axminster adapter that I managed to cut to fit the 63mm sander port, but I've not been able to find anything to fit the 53mm bandsaw port. All my googling seems to turn up loads of adapters, none of which fit 53mm.

Is there some sort of flexible material that is commonly used? I got hold of a 100-115mm adjustable rubber cuff (I think it's used for guttering) that I can use to link stuff but again I've not found them in sizes anywhere near what I want. What do folks normally do?

I found the following:

Axminster 99mm to 75mm adaptor
Fernco AC894 75mm to 53mm drainage pipe adaptor coupling

So having to use three separate couplings to connect the hose to one machine. The problem is the adaptor coupling seems to only be available from places that cater to builders whom I presume would be ordering massive amounts, because delivery ends up costing 3x what the product does...

I'm not looking for folks to tell me what specific bits to use, just if there's a way people approach this problem that I'm unaware of.

FISHMANPET posted:

My dad called me recently about the most amazing purchase he made and now he was going to make sure I got it in his will: a Milwaukee M18 cordless inflator. He's in love with that thing.

I got the Makita one of those and for how cheap it is it's very useful. Especially given my car starts complaining about tyre pressure once it drops below like 1 PSI below the preferred value, and most forecourt inflators don't loving work here.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 3, 2024

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Since posting I've seen some examples of folks doing this on another forum, I'm not above figuring out how to do the relevant designs so I'll take this as my answer, thanks.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

and fernco couplers or whatever your local equivalent is:

I've got one of them already, but they seem hard to get hold of here and prohibitively expensive when delivery is included. Some of them are sold in brick & mortar stores (where I got my 100mm coupler) but those only really sell that size and larger. Otherwise they seem like the ideal solution.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Table saw crosscut sleds:

All the videos I've seen of making them show them being used without the riving knife, which would get in the way. I got told "always use the riving knife". Do the sleds make it okay not to? I get that the work is supported from the rear throughout, but some of the kickback videos I've seen show the piece going upwards and not just back.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've got a relatively cheap saw and the knife isn't adjustable below sticking about 3CM above the blade - which would make it pretty likely to foul on the front fence of the sled I think. Would it be safe to trim it down to level with the top of the blade? I don't know what is and isn't safe regarding the height and I'm thinking of those Microjig Splitters that are tiny but apparently okay.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Presumably your splitter aligns with the max depth of cut of your saw, and one day you may want to use the max depth on your sled, so just make it nice and tall.

No this is what I'm saying - the knife is something like 3CM taller than the max depth cut.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

more falafel please posted:

Mine (Delta 36-725) has two positions, one where it's level with the top of the blade, and one where it's significantly higher. You need to use the high setting to use the blade guard/anti-kickback pawls.

It's this. It's not adjustable and it stands higher than the blade because it's also the fitting for the guard/extraction hood.

I'll look into the simpler sleds, thanks.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Where should I look to buy t-track (AKA mitre track) on its own? I can see it on Amazon but it's £10 for 30cm of extruded aluminium which seems like a piss take. I want to add it to my cross cut sled and perhaps my bench for clamps. Either specific places if in the UK, or the types of places I might need to look I guess.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

deimos posted:

Axminster, Aliexpress, Banggood in that order.

Thank you, I'm surprised I didn't notice it on the Axminster site, I've got a lot from there recently.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That's what I love about Paul Sellers - he's not gone that way, but every April 1st he does a video in that style.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I managed to get a seemingly well maintained, working, Elu MF177 router today for £15. The old guy I got it from just seemed giddy that someone was interested in it. Edit: Apparently this is the same thing as a DeWalt DW625.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 24, 2024

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I see folks in videos using big rolls of brown paper to cover work surfaces before gluing. What sort of place would sell this stuff?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thanks, Kraft paper found me what I'm after.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Due to space my gluing top is my table saw.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I feel like I could hand-excavate a flatter surface than my garage floor.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I got a pretty cheap Einhell table saw and I am pissed off that the T-tracks are a non-standard size and don't fit any loving accessories.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Not really 'tools' but what's a good brand of double sided tape? I got some 'Duck' brand and it's terrible, really weak and very hard to peel the backing off the second sticky side. It's more like a layer of sticky film than tape.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Anyone test out the Amazon shill brand tools? No name multi tool COMPATIBLE WITH Makita 18v

I've got a no-name Makita compatible leaf blower which is fine. It blows leaves.

I've heard the "Katsu Fit Bat" trim routers are pretty good.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What sort of tolerance should I be aiming for with table saw blade alignment? I've got a DWE7485 and just got a cheap alignment gauge, which shows the back of the blade being 0.2mm further from the fence than the front.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sorry, first time using one of these. It's measured from the mitre slot and the precision is 0.01mm though it's an Aliexpress one so obviously that's ... aspirational. I then measured the from the mitre slot to the fence and it's essentially parallel to the blade.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What's the name of those claw-like pronged gripper things that are made out of a single piece of stamped metal and can be screwed to a surface to stop something moving around? The context in which I've seen them is people making endgrain chopping boards flattening them with a router sled - they take a couple of those gripper things, screw them into the bench so they're flexed against the sides of the board so it doesn't move when it's being flattened.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Trabant posted:

Do you have a screenshot example? It sounds vaguely like a bench dog or a hold-down but the former isn't stamped steel and the latter goes above the work piece.

I don't, I've only seen them on Instagram videos and not got a screenshot at the time. I'm familiar with both bench dogs and hold downs and it's neither of those, both of those are reliant on dog holes and I've only seen these attached by screws to the surface. I figured they might also be used for holding the workpiece for CNC routers too.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I found what I was looking for - they're called slab clamping dogs.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Would one normally fill this thing up with glue or only with as much as they'd use on a project or something? And do they require cleaning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Not going to buy one of those glue bottles then!