Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Literally A Person posted:

Guess who just became the proud owner of a cheapo direct-from-china chainsaw mill!!??

*raises bloody stump that was once my hand*

Pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What do you do with the finger liberator 9000? :black101:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I would like to request a video because this sounds awesome. Also terrifying to have a chainsaw strapped to cheese grade hardware.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NomNomNom posted:

There's no way an 18v shop vac is worthwhile. The 40v on the other hand...

Yeah an 18v shop vac is just a really heavy dust buster. Which we have. In dust buster form. It's fine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What's the preferred 'basic but good' laser measuring device?

E: I'm seeing indoor and outdoor ones-will and outdoor one work indoor? An indoor work outdoor, just not as well?

The Bosch one. It's a little spender than you expect but it's the one you want.

I believe outdoor just means easier to see in full sun.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there a particular Bosch one or just any Bosch one?

I don't know the specific models, but literally every contractor I have dealt with in the last 6 years used exclusively that brand. Other tools varied in make and type, but every single one uses the Bosch laser measurement things.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

:stare:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DoubleT2172 posted:

Ordered a jigsaw from direct tools outlet and got this. Quite the mistake

Uh before you tell them which jigsaw should I buy...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Any recommendations for a reliable IR temp gun for my pizza oven?

What's the high side you need on the range?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

Here's another "use" question: i have this Bosch studfinder and for whatever reason I can't for the life of me get it to reliably find studs

had my wife try (no luck)

Just catching up on a few pages and I cannot let this self own slide. :v: I'm sorry for your loss.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
On to why I came here: My wife wants a scroll saw and christmas is coming. Hopefully she doesn't check this thread or worse, my post history. I figure if I start now I might be able to catch a deal on one vs my usual christmas shopping of "uh oh it's christmas in a few days."

My dilema: I have no idea what a scroll saw is, what features I should look for, etc. I was in lowes the other day buying a 12" long blunt chisel in the flathead screwdriver section and had a look for laughs and they don't sell them, at least not where I saw them. What questions should I ask her to find out what to buy, or is there just a "no just buy this one" recommendation? I presume it's for cutting out thin plywood in dimensions smaller than our jigsaw easily handles.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

If you're interested in a vintage (50's) bubble-gum pink, Dunlop scroll saw that's just been restored you just drop me a PM.

I feel like I would need to see a picture here to know for sure.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

lots of good information

A foot switch is a nice accessory to have and you'll want to make sure it can use plain (or pinless) blades.

Also I didn't quite grasp the scale of the pictures I was seeing and was envisioning something tabletop and easily movable. Is that just not it? Or are there a bunch of sizes?

I don't know if I have it in me to go used, I absolutely cannot lift, even team lift, a 100lb chunk of tool. I will have a gander though. I wish I could just post in our local "buy nothing" group because hilariously I might be able to find one.

What is pinless? Is a foot switch something you can add or must be bought with it? (Could her parents buy her a foot switch to match.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Give me a day or two to reassemble the thing. I'm only joking though. I can only imagine it would cost $$$ to ship anywhere. It's, uh, big. But yeah, I'll flop it together for some glamour shots.

Yeah but it's pink so freight cost be damned. A standard no-stack skid on a LTL load isn't THAT expensive if I have until christmas to get it to me. :v:

Meow Meow Meow posted:

They are classified by throat depth, which is the distance from the blade to the back post. The standard is about 15 or 16" and it goes up from there. Rule of thumb is you can cut to the centre of a panel twice the throat depth.

The 16" ones are absolutely movable, my 16" is maybe 40lbs so easy enough to store it in a cabinet and put it on the bench to use. The 24" I just got is maybe 75lbs, and I still put it away and lift it on the bench. People that really use it a lot will have a separate stand so it just stays out all the time. The guy I bought the 24" had a stand and he made me take it with the saw and I just threw it to the curb.

Awesome. Sounds like 16" or 24" is the way to go, and I imagine if I'm buying new pinless is going to be the only game in town.

Where does one scope out... deals on these? Just watch homedepot or is there some place the cool kids buy tools?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Fine I looked and there is a seemingly very nice one just down the road from me for $500. What precisely is "vibration" - the deck? The head? The blade? Or "trust me you can't miss it"?

As for what she wants it for, I guess practice on a deep throated power tool? (I don't actually know specifically, but we were offered two free Lincoln welders from a friend (a 120v mig and a 240v/30a (or 50a unclear) tig and she said "I mean what I've really been wanting is a scroll saw." She does a lot of art in various mediums, right now it's a lot of lino block printing, but she also sews, paints, draws, you get the idea. We made giant teeth for our house as a pandemic project and I think it's stuff like that on a much smaller finer scale.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Awesome. Thank you. This is all great information. I will figure out a time to go lose a finger demo'ing this one.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NomNomNom posted:

Luckily they're very safe (for a cutting tool). Biggest danger is running your hand into the blade while pushing a workpiece, but it'd most likely give you a nasty cut, not amputate.

Who said anything about the tool? This is facebook market.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Look at the weight of the tool and assume that the thing is strapped to a pallet on the street next to the curb of your house. Are you going to be able to transfer it to a dolly? Can you make the transition onto your driveway (etc) over whatever bumps?

If your driveway is clear before the driver arrives and you can flag them in you can get lucky and have them drop it as far back as they can reverse in, but I am serious about it being a lucky thing. You need to be ready and catch them before they start unloading. They might also be willing to pallet jack it to your garage even if they don't park on your driveway but it's not guaranteed. :10bux: :10bux: might help your case.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Maybe you hate torque and softer starts?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Really panel space and outlet availability. If you get another 220v tool in the future are you going to be competing for space?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Calidus posted:

Hmm yea my driveway is steep and has some bumps. I just watched a guy pull a boxed up Lugna up his driveway with a truck on YouTube…

Link what you're thinking about buying?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Calidus posted:

a contractor SawStop.

Yeah get this unless you're too wo/manly for thumbs. And yes one or two able bodied friends can easily get a table saw where it needs to go unless your driveway is a stupid slope. If you were talking about an massive band saw or something that is ballasted to the ground that's potentially a different story. I wouldn't worry about it, but do clear your driveway and try to let them back in.

Some ex-coworkers just bought a forklift because they got sick of trying to rent one on almost no notice when trucks would arrive. :stare:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Crazy that you can bale gravel now what will science think of next.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
For the record I am not in on any jokes.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I deeply hate the power cord on my immersion blender. I also am unclear if I want to make it top heavy with a lithium bomb over hot liquid being kept there by open flame.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

It is and it isn't. The economics of these things aren't proven and are already suspect.

I mean, if all of your customers don't mind paying double it's probably not a problem.

I assume their market will start as coastal California. I've already seen a lot of backpack run Stihl brand tools like blowers and edgers. Then there is a box on the truck where the backpack plugs in to charge or something. (I haven't looked closely.) Some (many?) towns restrict gas powered blowers and other tools, they've been banned where I live forever but it's unenforced because there is nothing on the market for commercial folks yet. That seems to be changing. Keeps the noise and pollution down, as those little engines are just atrocious. The market is going to be out of regulation, not demand.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

As these products are insanely expensive and time consuming/laborious/capital intensive it's going to have to be. I wasn't aware CA had legislated this without any commercial solutions in place but of course they did.

I mean small cities had ages ago and just ignored it. Literally 20+ years ago. Recently our contracted landscape companies have started using electric blowers (those stihls) and the funniest one...

A city worker with a 120v leaf blower, extension cord, and a Honda generator. :negative:

The state however is starting to clamp down on them now that there are commercial solutions in place and I'm OK with it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Absolutely an emissions savings - I mean, unless every crew just puts a PTO generator on the pickup pulling the trailer and leave their poo poo running to charge the spare batteries all day. Which is probably what is going to happen.

Heck 1 motor at a constant load all day is likely lower emissions than whatever horror show is on the leaf blowers and such that are revving up and down constantly.

You hope the manufacturers are smart enough to have sizing down to fit in around the size of a truck bed toolbox, and most work trucks have 120v out these days - I imagine you will see lots of them idling their truck to charge or hopefully only needing to charge between locations and then topping up with shore power back at the depot.

This should gel nicely with other EV mandates which could see F-150 lightning style trucks becoming fleet trucks.

In a decade.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Natural composting bugs love it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Why do you think he needs the auger?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

Just mount it pointed forward and keep it running with a DC charger plugged into your car battery terminals. Bing bong don't even have to get out

This is what I thought was happening and grew more confused by the moment.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What you need son is a pole saw.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The second floor of our house has a 240-volt socket for plugging in a heater. It also came with a heater that dates, by the look of it, no later than the 1950s. There is no central heating.

I did a quick google and found out that 240-volt plug-in heaters are still made, but marketed as for garages. Is there anything I should watch out for? Are there known reliable brands?

Nice! Got a link?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

New pneumatic nailgun has warnings all over the documentation not to run it off an acetylene tank, and now i really wanna meet the guy who inspired all that and shake what's left of his hand

Please post a picture this is amazing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Sorry the manual is basically unformatted, it doesn't look cool

So good. I love the random footnote.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I pay my kid $40 per 5 gallon bucket he picks up, and I've been out probably close to $300 already paying him out.

I am surprised he isn't inviting friends over at that rate.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And don't use their jack stands. No matter how many times they recall them.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

That Works posted:

Who do you like for Jack stands?

I defer to others /AI I just know that harbor freight has had to recall a LOT of jackstands for what amount to complete lack of QC on their castings. Basically same as every thing else they sell but it's PPE to keep the car from mushing you.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

It was welds one time, castings another time.....yeah, don't trust them.

It's comically hard to track and I believe they literally had to do what amounted to a complete recall of their various lines of them, including one of the replacement lines for the original recall. (Might be just the second line they had to recall were the store replacement models for the first recalled ones.) Given the quality of them its my opinion accuracy isn't important because they are all not to be trusted.

I wonder if the weld failed ones would show casting flaws if the welds had held up? :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Do we have a harbor freight dremel with various death wheels on them? Yes.

Do we only use them with 3M not counterfeit safety glasses? Also yes.

Mush is low on my list of things to be in a given day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thanks tool thread! She was surprised and thrilled. It's a screenshot from the video I took while evaluating it in person. I don't have a better picture of it right. Excalibur scroll saw with the safety cover over the belt/pulleys snapped off leaving only sharp metal edges for you to slice your hand on.