Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

They are getting...pause...hammered

Really had to drill in for that one didn't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Buy stronger trash bags than you're used to buying - the big box of contractor ones - or double bag your usual stuff. It is heavier than you expect. Be prepared to either have a ton of bags laying around forever as you put 1-2 in your weekly trash pickup, or pay someone to haul it off.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Rubber/vinyl + uv = cracked rubber. You have to hide it from the sun if you want it to last. Spend your money accordingly.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

stealie72 posted:

One of my fancy Ryobi HP 18v batteries is not charging even though it's less than a year old (blinking red on multiple chargers).

Do I just take it back to HD with a printout of the order receipt, or do I need to do something through Ryobi?

Edit, if it matters, it was part of a 3-battery kit from a "buy batteries, get a free tool" deal last June. I don't need to return all three batteries since the SKU is three batteries, do I?

I would try to do all 3 if you can, get a free refresh out of it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Y'all wanna fight with AI mods?

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I can’t stress enough how useful project farm’s video is on this topic. There are definite differences between products and, at least for the poo poo I’ve been jump starting, it is the difference between working and not working.

Safety Dance posted:

I can't stress enough how little I want to watch a meth'd up redneck scream about lithium battery packs for 15 minutes.

I've never watched a project farm video. If I want to watch a meth'd up redneck scream I'll look in the mirror.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Seems like a guitar case would be ideal for this. Plenty of space for an extra chain, bar oil, and a clever one could probably fit chaps.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jenkl posted:

Any tips on buying a ladder and then using it safely?

My home is technically 2-story but with a basement walk-out I'm 3 stories at the back.

3 stories up? Your answer is to have a roofer install some hard points on your ridge and use a fall harness. If you fall you probably won't be having any more kids if you have external equipment but you will be alive and not in that terrible "I survive a 2-3 story fall" way.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Oh, right, now I remember how it ended up the last time I looked at boom lifts. It's WAY cheaper to buy a huge 1980s F8000 boom lift truck. Like $3k vs. $15k+ I do not want to store a 2 1/2 ton truck.

The AI / HCH cross-over we all deserve.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Anyone have the Ryobi dremel knockoff? Is it any good? We can't find our hazard fraught one and kind of want a new one. Looks to be similarly priced ish to a Dremel brand one, but would use an existing battery system I already own? (Also be cordless?)

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PBLRT01B

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

there’s a few Ryobi dremels:

Two corded at different power levels
One big cordless internal-battery one
One smaller USB lithium one
Cheaper/older 18v whip style one
Pricier 18v whip style w/brushless motor

Welp. Now I'm overwhelmed, kind of like I get trying to figure out how to get an impact driver to go with my current regular drill.

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PBLCK02K This looks tempting, but it's not the "compact" one. ahhhhh

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 23, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PBLRT01K1

I linked the wrong one! They use a very similar picture. The "Kit" actually has a battery and foot pedal for $6 extra dollars. Thank you both! Wood working is what it would be for, it would largely live on a bench somewhere.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I bought it and a compact impact driver. :toot:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Got an angle grinder? Lotta meat left on that. :q:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

What could possibly go wrong? Wish me luck.

I will pray for your success at auction and that it brings us a plentiful bounty of posts.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That is a lot of trust in exactly 1 strip of tape. The only thing not pictured that was in this box is the packing slip. They were just rolling around in there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:laffo: So it turns out my wife and I suck at communicating. Bare box with label stuck straight on. Does doing a no receipt return work at whichever store sells ryobi?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Just keep them both and keep different bits in them

:mad:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just harbor freight it. Mines been a champ for the 5 times a year I use it. The model is... Blue? Who knows it was the cheapest one they had 5 years ago.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Models are different but all like 1.2/1.3 GPM with various claimed pressures between 1700 and 2300. None of it is meaningful if they just do the thing. You def don't want to try to clean siding with one of them, but a grill or a path? Yeah, I bet that's just fine.

I believe that's what I said, blue. :v: I think the sticker on it says 1700. I don't know or care. It cleans my bird bath like you wouldn't believe. Same with the kiddie pool. Hadn't tried the grill... that seems like it would make a mess. I think after coupon and tax it was like $73. I used it to blast pollen/pollution/dust/dirt off the side of my house before I painted, worked well enough. But it's also just dirty stucco, not mildewed siding or whatever. Good enough was the name of the game.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PCL1502K2N

This seems like a good deal? $135.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Our Ryobi dust buster is a champ. Gotta make sure you clean the filter occasionally. I just use a fork to scrape the crud out gently.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Green.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
P713?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

Do you really need a

:stare: I don't understand

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That thought of "fuuuuuck I struggled so long when this magic existed?"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Top G posted:

I needed to replace the cord on a circular saw and I wanted to replace it with a ~25’ 12ga cord. I can’t find any purpose made “power tool cord” for that though. Could I just repurpose a good extension cord? If I reuse the strain relief it ought to functionally be the same, no?

Why not just put a normal length cord on it and run an extension cord? Or just have a dedicated extension cord you never unhook from your normal length cord?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

its 100% safe.

Not even a little bit. See you in 6hrs.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Anyone know offhand if Lowe's sells grade 8 (or whatever the metric equivalent is) hardware?

Specifically Lowe's because I'm right near one and can buy poo poo individually.
Canadian tire and home Depot don't. I can go to brafasco or a place like that if I have to, but they usually have a minimum order. I need 4 bolts and one nut, so don't want to buy a bag of 25 each if I don't have to.

Maybe the home depot by you doesn't, but mine has grade 8 bolts in various sizes available. Not a wide selection or high quantity but it's there. As does lowes. I bet they're in the drawers-o-fasteners if you missed them.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Thanks, I'll take a look. None of the HDs around here have grade 8 stuff. Only grade 5 and 2.
I've scoured the poo poo out of them..

Or I should say - both of their websites claim they do, I haven't actually gone to look in ages.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Good lord the toppest of the line sawzall now has an app. Neat that you can control various settings on it, but why not just... buttons.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Same reason cars have touch displays: good switchgear is expensive. Screens and wireless chipsets are cheap.

And metrics! Don't forget metrics! If you install an app they can learn who you are and what you do.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That's almost worth driving to my store to see if they have it. I imagine not though, my store numbers are like 800 more than that one which I imagine puts me on the wrong coast.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Remember a lot of this is how much downtime you're willing to have between blaps. 20 gallons isn't going to run a mechanics shop but it's going to get some brap braps out to loosen a lug nut. Probably a few. It will definitely run an air nailer if my pancake can get 2 shots. Get the idea?

I mean my little pancake can't set the air pressure in 3 cars tires without recharging twice but the cut in is pretty high. But 20gal? Oh sure. I don't even know how many gallons mine is.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
To pump down a pool why wouldn't you use... Your pool pump?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Slotted is not better at anything you take that back.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Top G posted:

Skill issue :shrug:

Slotted fasteners can be driven with more torque than Phillips, are most resistant to the effects of paint/dirt/corrosion, and are the screw type of choice for aesthetic purposes.

All drive types are good at something, no drive type is good at everything

You have 2 minutes left to be able to post in this year California time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

My excuse was that NiCad sucked for infrequent use. Was it/is it possible to buy corded drills with the same features as cordless drills?

Is it now? Not really. Development on corded tools which are adequately powered by Lithium Ion batteries stopped dead. Or if it is, it's going to be hard to find. There are only a couple of tools where I would still want corded options and even then it's a dwindling number. And pretty much the only reason I want them is because I don't own any large sized batteries and for example my leaf blower can't blow off my driveway/porch/etc in a single charge of a 2Ah battery, if I owned a 4Ah it would get me through just fine.

If I worked construction and was drilling holes in concrete all day long I probably would prefer a corded SDS rotary hammer partially due to weight reduction? But even then, I would just be mad if the site didn't provide adequate batteries.

https://www.lincolnrent-all.com/product/large-rotary-hammer-drill/

With tools in the price range of Ryobi "Factory Blemished" and even just Dewalt/Milwaukee sales can get you started with a medium-low amount of effort to get a couple of batteries and chargers. Home gamers just don't need much, I can think of two times ever my 2Ah battery croaked out on me mid-job, over-wiring my garage and needing to drill a LOT of 1.5" holes. Even then, I could recharge it to 75% by the time my next 2Ah battery croaked on me. After that I just did some wiring until they both charged up completely.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Cordless rebar tyer. It ties and cuts with a trigger press. We truly live in the future.

That is quite the finger lopper. :stare: How many rebars can it tie on a charge?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I see folks in videos using big rolls of brown paper to cover work surfaces before gluing. What sort of place would sell this stuff?

Butcher paper is the search term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Thank you I had a feeling that I was subtly wrong but couldn't put my finger on it.